HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver/Florida Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
Well, you convinced me, but I still think that there are teams that could spend more for Luongo than Vancouver can, mainly Ottawa (although that horse has whipped thoroughly and people don't like that either).
There might well be other teams in the league that would be willing to pay more as there are likely teams that would pay less. Each team will assess the value of Luongo to their team less the cost. Equally Florida would assess the value to it's team of the assets coming back verses the loss of Luongo. It's not just a matter of what's equal in trade value. It's also what you can spare to fill a need and visa versa. As I pointed out, NJ or for that matter Atlanta would not value Luongo very high as they already have a franchise goalie and any assets that Florida may want from them is probably more valuable to them than Luongo.

I'm not so sure Ottawa would offer anything much different than Vancouver. Like Vancouver, Ottawa is concentrating on the now rather than three or more years down the road. Like Vancouver, Ottawa would love a goalie with Luongo's talent and potential, but needs a goalie that has already proven himself in the playoffs. Hasek fills that role quite adequately & if now considered too old, Giguere might be a more logical choice for Ottawa. Obviously Luongo will likely exceed Giguere as a better goalie eventually, but Giguere is more battle ready & likely less expensive. Vancouver's in a similar boat, but in my opinion about 1 to 2 years behind Ottawa for a cup run so Vancouver could possibly waste a year getting Luongo seasoned to playoff action. Vancouver can also offer Florida a proven #1 goalie plus a solid goalie prospect along with a #1 D which Ottawa can't. No matter what another team offers as fair exchange for Luongo, Florida would be committing suicide if they weren't getting a solid goalie in return that will last them for atleast 3 or 4 years.

Old
06-03-2005, 05:45 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman
I'm not so sure Ottawa would offer anything much different than Vancouver. Like Vancouver, Ottawa is concentrating on the now rather than three or more years down the road. Like Vancouver, Ottawa would love a goalie with Luongo's talent and potential, but needs a goalie that has already proven himself in the playoffs. Hasek fills that role quite adequately & if now considered too old, Giguere might be a more logical choice for Ottawa. Obviously Luongo will likely exceed Giguere as a better goalie eventually, but Giguere is more battle ready & likely less expensive. Vancouver's in a similar boat, but in my opinion about 1 to 2 years behind Ottawa for a cup run so Vancouver could possibly waste a year getting Luongo seasoned to playoff action. Vancouver can also offer Florida a proven #1 goalie plus a solid goalie prospect along with a #1 D which Ottawa can't. No matter what another team offers as fair exchange for Luongo, Florida would be committing suicide if they weren't getting a solid goalie in return that will last them for atleast 3 or 4 years.
i dont think vancouver can waste a year for any goalie to establish themself here. naslund is the canucks, and if he leaves vancouver's chance for a cup run diminishs, no matter who we can (realisticly) bring in to replace him. if naslund does return to the nhl, it'll be for 1 or 2 years, so the canucks really dont have the luxury to wait a year to find out if a goalie is capable of winning the cup (which is why we need to replace cloutier, NOW!).
conversely, i think ottawa can wait a year or 2 for a elite goalie like luongo to prove himself. ottawa will want to compete for the cup now, but their core is still young, and the only "older" player (alfredsson) is commited long term to this team, so they'll be able to stay competitive for awhile longer then the canucks.

Old
06-03-2005, 05:49 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
I've been mulling this one over for a while, so I thought I'd post it to get some feedback.
Thoughts?
i would have mulled some more

Old
06-03-2005, 09:08 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
i would have mulled some more
I noticed a couple of posters, yourself included, spared a thought ... when it's kind of clear you really don't have a surpluss.

Last edited by quat: 06-04-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old
06-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon
as canucks fan we always talk about giving the sedins a legitimate rw.. yet you put niedermeyer there.. his best showing in recent years was when he was an elite checker for the ducks cup run..
I'm just saying if we were getting all those other guys, we probably couldn't afford a legitimate right-winger for the Sedins. IMO, Niedermeiyer has capable offensive ability that could work out well for the Sedins - at least more than Arvedson.

Although a Cooke. Niedermayer. Linden line would be sweeet.

Old
06-04-2005, 01:16 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk
I'm just saying if we were getting all those other guys, we probably couldn't afford a legitimate right-winger for the Sedins. IMO, Niedermeiyer has capable offensive ability that could work out well for the Sedins - at least more than Arvedson.

Although a Cooke. Niedermayer. Linden line would be sweeet.

yah rob niedermeyer would look great between cooke and linden.. although i think kesler will make it into the canucks top 9 forwards by next year..

Old
06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
ginner classic

If Scott signs with Vancouver like many believe he will, Jovo will be a tradeable asset. I don't see Allen and Ohlund as soft, but we would need to replace Malik or Salo with someone with some more sandpaper if Jovo left.

The sign Nieds and trade Jovo scenario makes solid sense. The JayBo part does not.

Jovo could be moved to Florida, LA, Chicago or Boston. Coming back the other way would be second tier younger players. The nux would have no salary room to do anything but.

Some things people really forget here...

Even if the UFA age is dropped, there is no way that it is going to tka eeffect on unsigned players in the 29-30 year range. They would be traeted as RFAs in year one to give every team a fair chance to keep their team together long term.

Jovo is under contract right now at 5 per year, very reasonable for an elite d-man. If there is a rollback of 24% that puts his salary at 3.75, affordable for any team in the league.

Florida is almost through the rebuild phase. They will compete for a playoff spot in the next season unless they totally fall apart. Jovo would fit in very well there.

Old
06-11-2005, 01:01 AM
andora

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
I noticed a couple of posters, yourself included, spared a thought ... when it's kind of clear you really don't have a surpluss.
insult me if you want to, but it doesn't gloss over a stupid trade proposal

Old
06-11-2005, 04:37 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
insult me if you want to, but it doesn't gloss over a stupid trade proposal
Once again you've proved my point. Intelligent people are able to explain their thoughts, others simply aren't capable. Thankfully these boards have fewer of posts like yours, and more that lend themselves to discussion.

You answer a trade proposal with a one line insult, and then get pissy when someone calls you on it? For real.

Old
06-11-2005, 07:47 PM
andora

i'm not pissy, no matter how much you want me to be...

fine, why is this crap? it's pretty simple really... bouwmeester, about to turn 22, jovanovski, about to turn 29... that's 7 years in age difference..

bouwmeester made what, about 1.2 million last year? and jovo what, about 4.5 or 4.75? that's about 3.5 million difference let's say..

now, in my honest opinion, bouwmeester is getting pretty close to even if he isn't already in play with jovanovski, despite being that much younger and that much cheaper.. now, i also ask, where's the incentive for florida to do this? can they not afford bouwmeester anymore? are they going for a cup and need a veteran dman? nope, nope.. where's the incentive? there is none...

let's have florida go five years with their plethora of young potential stars and atleast wait until they all start commanding too much money before dumping them off for peaked veterans.. (yes, i believe jovanovski is as good as he'll get)

there, that's why it's a stupid trade proposal, but if you want to play the innocent card and call me out on a comment that really doesn't need explaining (because of how dumb the idea is to begin with) to most people, feel free like i said..

would you trade bryan allen for derian hatcher? or ryan kesler for kris draper? probably not (but who knows)

Closed Thread