HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting Goaltender Part II

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Isles' #1 goaltender to be?
Evgeni Nabokov 20 12.20%
Kevin Poulin 3 1.83%
Anders Nilsson 5 3.05%
Ryan Miller 31 18.90%
Jonas Hiller 17 10.37%
Jaroslav Halak 11 6.71%
Anton Khudobin 35 21.34%
Roberto Luongo 27 16.46%
Mike Smith 8 4.88%
Other 7 4.27%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 07:23 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I would hope so. Luongo on a normal contract would upgrade our goaltending big time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Snow is as usual playing coy. He should. He's waiting out the compliance buyout 'season' bc there could be two superior goalies on the market plus the rest of the UFA goalie crop. Nabby has nowhere to go to start. Snow is playing the market to avoid term on Nabby. Good move. If Nabby got the isles into the second round, then I believe Snow gives up the second year. Right now, he can't and shouldn't.

100% yes on both these posts. Holding your cards close to your vest while others start showing theirs is exactly the kind of GM I want my team to have.

And I would take Luongo in a hot second and even give him 5-6 million/year for three years.

What I wouldn't do is give up any valuable asset for him and his current contract, which lasts longer than DP's contract (and he'll be 43 then).

Buying out DP and signing Luongo to a reasonable deal...Wow. Maybe we could make both moves on Sunday and create some bizarro anti-Milbury/2000 NHL Draft moment. Next to the rangers winning the Cup, that might be the worst NHL day of my life.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:42 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Staple tweeted Emery and Khudobin will be available. He also says if Luo gets bought out, Snow could be interested.
I would be fine if the Islanders signed Emery. Let's keep our assets.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:03 PM
cjdv16

Get ready for Round 2 with Louuuuu.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I would be fine if the Islanders signed Emery. Let's keep our assets.
this

Even if we signed a bought out Lou on a better contract I wouldn't mind

Old
06-27-2013, 08:09 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Get ready for Round 2 with Louuuuu.
I just don't see anyone taking on Luongo's deal with the recapture provisions. Gillis is eating that deal.

Lou is gonna be a UFA. He might be line to FL since they will work out a beneficial deal.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Please no Emery. That guy has been a backup for like the last 6-7 years. He's not a starter.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Staple tweeted Emery and Khudobin will be available. He also says if Luo gets bought out, Snow could be interested.
I think there is a better chance for winged Blue Whales smoking corn cob pipes to fly out of Snow's bung hole than there is for Lou to play here. I know it was under Milbury, but it was immediately after Wang came on board and he stamped the deal.

I just hope we get a solid goaltender at this point. I am not hopeful.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:44 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I think there is a better chance for winged Blue Whales smoking corn cob pipes to fly out of Snow's bung hole than there is for Lou to play here. I know it was under Milbury, but it was immediately after Wang came on board and he stamped the deal.

I just hope we get a solid goaltender at this point. I am not hopeful.

Oh please. If we offer 1M more than any other team* Luongo will come back (although he may may him signing contingent on the Isles buying out DP just for closure).

*We won't offer more than any other team.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Darth Bangkok

Emery was more of a 1B than a backup last year

Old
06-27-2013, 09:08 PM
VT Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
He played really well when Crawford went down, their stats were pretty similar.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:22 PM
ziggy7716

Posted Today, 08:18 PM
Rich Smith ‏@ALLsportsINTEL 3h
NHL UPDATE - New York Islanders have reportedly entered into the Ryan Miller sweepstakes, source reports the 2 sides still engaged in talks

Get it done Garth!

Old
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
NHL UPDATE - New York Islanders have reportedly entered into the Ryan Miller sweepstakes, source reports the 2 sides still engaged in talks

Get it done Garth!

Who is Rich Smith? Is he a reliable source? I mean given how quiet Snow is, seems weird an off the grid reporter has the scoop.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
Phrasing, 1st, BOOM.

I'm cool with Miller or a bought out Luongo.

As for Ference, if there's going to be a jerk on the ice making players angry, I'd rather that jerk be in blue and orange. Take him, too.

See how dizzyingly out of control offers for Clarkson go and hope your offer sticks.

Those three would be awesome improvements.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:32 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Who is Rich Smith? Is he a reliable source? I mean given how quiet Snow is, seems weird an off the grid reporter has the scoop.
That I am unsure of. It was posted over at *************, another poster said Mike Carver from WFAN said it as well.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
He seems like a random twitter "insider" to me so I wouldn't take it serious.

Just a reminder to every please use legitimate sources when posting possible trades/signings/etc. there are a lot of flakes on twitter who claim to have inside knowledge.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
There has been a lot of chatter on twitter about a possible Sabres trade involving Miller to the Island I think it stems from this guy:

Quote:
@DFriedmanWFAN
#Sabres source: #Isles "might be" interested in Ryan Miller but are yet to make an offer. Remains to be seen whether or not they will.

@DFriedmanWFAN
Going with my gut here: #Isles won't be trading for Miller. Cost will be too high.
I know he's with WFAN but I don't even take Staple's information seriously half the time, because like Periferal pointed out Garth likes to be very quiet about everything. Just think about any trade Viz/Wiz/Rolston etc you never heard anything beforehand.. I got a feeling we won't have a clue what's going on until it's done.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:00 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post

Get it done Garth!
Never heard of him. Anyone know if the guy reporting the rumor is credible? There is nothing on Mckenzie , Botta or Staple's twitter accounts. I am sceptical that Wang will greenlight a $6m-$7m per extension.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

We usually kill Miller...Keep him on another team....Athough an All Star and Olympic goalie with a chip on his shoulder might not be a bad thing to have

Old
06-27-2013, 10:09 PM
SpeedDemon

If the Isles are in on Ryan Miller there's no doubt the Sabres want that 1st round pick as part of the return. They were trying to move from 8 to 3 and that wasn't working (as of now) so I'd say it may cost snow an arm and a leg. But with Nabby turning 38 and the reserve tank a bit dry (Poulin not getting the playing time in the shortened season, Nilsson's injury problems, and Koskinen's readjustment to the NHL rinks and that's if he comes back to NA), Snow may not have much of a choice.

not unless he'd want to tke a gamble on Bryz or Smith or the likes with a one year deal

I'd say the B's won't move Khudobin. From what I saw of him last year he was capable of winning games, especially with D the Boston has, should Rask falter

Old
06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
If the Isles are in on Ryan Miller there's no doubt the Sabres want that 1st round pick as part of the return. They were trying to move from 8 to 3 and that wasn't working (as of now) so I'd say it may cost snow an arm and a leg. But with Nabby turning 38 and the reserve tank a bit dry (Poulin not getting the playing time in the shortened season, Nilsson's injury problems, and Koskinen's readjustment to the NHL rinks and that's if he comes back to NA), Snow may not have much of a choice.

not unless he'd want to tke a gamble on Bryz or Smith or the likes with a one year deal

I'd say the B's won't move Khudobin. From what I saw of him last year he was capable of winning games, especially with D the Boston has, should Rask falter
Khudobin is a ufa on July 5, 2013.
He wants to be a #1 goalie.

Also, if Snow refused to move his 1st to land 24 yr old Bernier, I think it is unlikely he moves it for 34 yr old Milller , who is a ufa in 2014.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
So, over the last 6-7 years he had a stretch last season, due mostly to injuries, that he played well in as a 1B... I mean, that's cool and all, but I just don't see it. He's a backup that played well for the best team in the league in a pinch.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Brooklyn Americans

I'd be happy with Miller, but I really want Luongo.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:52 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Khudobin is a ufa on July 5, 2013.
He wants to be a #1 goalie.

Also, if Snow refused to move his 1st to land 24 yr old Bernier, I think it is unlikely he moves it for 34 yr old Milller , who is a ufa in 2014.
I know its not a huge difference but Miller will be 33 on July 17th. The guy is an accomplished netminder on many levels.

His play has slipped, but sit there and tell me the Sabres are as good as they have been in years past. Furthermore, the Islanders are further ahead in their rebuild than the Sabres are (seems as if they are just starting).

If the Islanders didn't have to give up to much I would be all for going after Miller. Maybe something like Kabanov and a pick.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:55 PM
12Dog

Snow has a track record. Despite what people believe about Wang holding tight to the purse strings, through credible sources he has made decent offers to ufa's he deemed worthy (Martin, Ehrhoff) and has not been willing to part with what he has drafted(unlike MM) or first round picks for older, or short term contract players. That being said, I believe it's time to bring in winning players. Players who can show this team how to close games and hopefully series. Scuderi and Ference are 2 players who could be targeted. I would consider overpaying slightly in salary not in years. Horton is another, even with injuries I would take him over Clarkson. I think he would be a great fit for Ht and either Strome or Bailey.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:08 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Oh please. If we offer 1M more than any other team* Luongo will come back (although he may may him signing contingent on the Isles buying out DP just for closure).

*We won't offer more than any other team.
Do I need to link back to Lou's tweet? He was joking, but I definitely smelled the lemon all over his comment about 'only if he could bring his buddy Milbury' or something along those lines. And then there is your own caveat.

Closed Thread