HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting Goaltender Part II

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Isles' #1 goaltender to be?
Evgeni Nabokov 20 12.20%
Kevin Poulin 3 1.83%
Anders Nilsson 5 3.05%
Ryan Miller 31 18.90%
Jonas Hiller 17 10.37%
Jaroslav Halak 11 6.71%
Anton Khudobin 35 21.34%
Roberto Luongo 27 16.46%
Mike Smith 8 4.88%
Other 7 4.27%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 08:13 PM
SI90

vCash: 500
does Khudobin's rights hit the market after SCF is over ??

We have had a relationship with BOS and mayby Garth can Swing Antons rights for a later pick...

Old
06-24-2013, 10:03 PM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
does Khudobin's rights hit the market after SCF is over ??

We have had a relationship with BOS and mayby Garth can Swing Antons rights for a later pick...
I wouldn't give up much for him. He was nothing special in the AHL and went 9-4 and a Stanley Cup Finals caliber team this year.

Do people really think he's that much better of an option compared to who we have especially if we have to give something up to get him?

Old
06-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Do people really think he's that much better of an option compared to who we have especially if we have to give something up to get him?
Problem is that the Isles have nothing right now.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:13 AM
ziggy7716

I think it's going to be Miller Time on the Island soon. With Backstrom re-signing in Minnesota I think that even helps the cause more so as they don't need him now. I highly doubt Miller would want to go to Calgary or Edmonton. That leaves us and Philly.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:40 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
I think it's going to be Miller Time on the Island soon. With Backstrom re-signing in Minnesota I think that even helps the cause more so as they don't need him now. I highly doubt Miller would want to go to Calgary or Edmonton. That leaves us and Philly.
I don't see Snow giving up the assets that may be required to acquire Miller, who is one year away from UFA.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:45 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
I don't see Snow giving up the assets that may be required to acquire Miller, who is one year away from UFA.

I don't think he will cost all that much for that reason. He is one year away from UFA and he's making 6.25 million. There also aren't many teams left looking for a goalie either. All of those circumstances I think brings down his trade value.

Snow may be able to acquire him without giving up our 1st or Niederreiter. Not that I am opposed to dealing him

Old
06-25-2013, 04:14 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
It's likely not gonna take too much....Miller wants out and has a hefty contract.

http://www.inquisitr.com/637435/ryan...uffalo-sabres/

If it takes Nino and a pick, so be it. We get a premier goalie looking to start over and the team is better for it.

If it takes Strome or Reinhart, I'll stick with Nabby and give Poulin, a goalie not yet 25 like Bernier let alone 24, some more time to develop as well as Koskinen and Nilsson.

But if Miller can be had, try like hell to get a premier goalie here so we can lure a defenseman and forward for JT's line. We gotta pretend we wanna be a good team at minimum.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
It's likely not gonna take too much....Miller wants out and has a hefty contract.

If it takes Nino and a pick, so be it. We get a premier goalie looking to start over and the team is better for it.

If it takes Strome or Reinhart, I'll stick with Nabby and give Poulin, a goalie not yet 25 like Bernier let alone 24, some more time to develop as well as Koskinen and Nilsson.

But if Miller can be had, try like hell to get a premier goalie here so we can lure a defenseman and forward for JT's line. We gotta pretend we wanna be a good team at minimum.
Nino and a pick for a goalie who may well bolt after this coming season when his contract's up? I'd pass on that. Take it for what it's worth since it was from the Ottawa Sun, but they said he prefers to head out west -- it doesn't get much more opposite of that than Long Island, so it might be a tough sell to get him to stay once the contract's up. Furthermore, he's 32. Realistically it'll be about another two seasons before the Isles' top prospects like Strome and Reinhart really start hitting their stride in the NHL (not breaking into the league, but contributing at the level we hope they'll hit). So right when the team's window for contending should be opening, Miller will probably start fading. I like Miller -- I'm just not sure he and the Isles are a match made in heaven for that price.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:

I'd hesitate to give up Nino and a 3rd for Miller, if he could even be had for that. I don't see Snow and Wang giving Miller the same money he's making now (6.25M) let alone giving him a raise that all UFA's want and ultimately get. So we'd get one year out of him Miller and he'd walk as a UFA because we don't have the $$$ to sign him.

Even if we did sign him to more than JT money, how long can he play at a high level? 2, 3 years? 5? Just poor asset management here. So much risk trending in the wrong direction.

Bernier was almost as risky, but at least he was young and improving instead of old and declining.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:56 AM
KnishOfTheCrease
Isles/GoldenKnights

What's with the love affair with Khudobin?

Old
06-25-2013, 10:14 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
I think it falls somewhere in the same zip code with the hate affair with Niño.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
The problem with aquiring Miller, is then you have to re sign him and he is going to want $$. I dont think Garth is going to sign anyone to big contracts

Old
06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Nino and a pick for a goalie who may well bolt after this coming season when his contract's up? I'd pass on that. Take it for what it's worth since it was from the Ottawa Sun, but they said he prefers to head out west -- it doesn't get much more opposite of that than Long Island, so it might be a tough sell to get him to stay once the contract's up. Furthermore, he's 32. Realistically it'll be about another two seasons before the Isles' top prospects like Strome and Reinhart really start hitting their stride in the NHL (not breaking into the league, but contributing at the level we hope they'll hit). So right when the team's window for contending should be opening, Miller will probably start fading. I like Miller -- I'm just not sure he and the Isles are a match made in heaven for that price.
There is pretty much no teams out West that need a goalie. Calgary and Edmonton appear to need goalies but I doubt Miller would agree to go to any of those teams.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
stranger34

Ryan Miller = Ryan Smyth 2.0?

Old
06-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Bexlyspeed

I dont Like Miller at all, all he has done is whine for the last 2+ seasons.
he really has not been the same since the concussions.

i guess at this point we just have to wait and see what happens.
now what if Nabby Jumps ship?

Old
06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
The same love affair that people have moving Nino for peanuts. They wont move Strome, Nelson and/or Reinhart but Nino, whom is better than all three is being shopped like the kid is a cancer.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Trollmonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
The same love affair that people have moving Nino for peanuts. They wont move Strome, Nelson and/or Reinhart but Nino, whom is better than all three is being shopped like the kid is a cancer.
How is Nino better than Nelson???? Strome has yet to get a full evaluation but I'd rate him higher too. Reinhart is a defenseman, so I think the curve is different for him.

BTW, Miller is not peanuts. And I don't like Miller either.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
How is Nino better than Nelson???? Strome has yet to get a full evaluation but I'd rate him higher too. Reinhart is a defenseman, so I think the curve is different for him.

BTW, Miller is not peanuts. And I don't like Miller either.
Nino does have a cooler name. Sure, I HAVE TO say this or his agent will demand another trade.

Nelson I was THOROUGHLY impressed with. Good hockey sense and has talent. That's infinitely better than the Nino I saw in the bigs. Nino just has potential and a good trip to Europe going fr him now.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

Quote:
Nino does have a cooler name. Sure, I HAVE TO say this or his agent will demand another trade.

Nelson I was THOROUGHLY impressed with. Good hockey sense and has talent. That's infinitely better than the Nino I saw in the bigs. Nino just has potential and a good trip to Europe going fr him now.
Jordan Staal baby, Brock Nelson will be the next Jordan Staal.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:58 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
How many people are offering him for "peanuts"? When your team has 4 high quality prospects to go along with a clear need for proven talent in the lineup, you have to recognize that at least one of those prospects is going to be a trade chip. I don't know why Nino is better than the other three, but I can't contest your well developed argument. The rift between him and the organization cannot be ignored, and if Nino is still a wanted commodity around the league, you keep the option open to trade him. I honestly haven't seen anyone looking to just dump him.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:

To be fair, you saw Nino in the bigs as a 19-year old with no pro experience, while Nelson, who we saw in the NHL for all of about 5 minutes, was a 21-year old with a full season of pro hockey under his belt already in the AHL...not really apples/apples.

That said, having watched both in the AHL, I think each player brings different strengths to the table and would prefer to see both playing for the Isles next season.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Jordan Staal baby, Brock Nelson will be the next Jordan Staal.
I think the "Brock Nelson" will be the next "Brock Nelson"!

Old
06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post

Haha. Ya know though... Brock Nelson is just such an awesome name that you can't do it disservice by calling him the next 'someone else'. It deserves proper respect by itself.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post

This is funny AND true. I have no idea why this is in the goalie thread though.

Brock Nelson (as with all players) is his own player with unique style of play and skills. It's fun to compare to other players. Personally I think he most closely resembles Travis Zajac, although Nelson is a better skater. He also has some Jordan Staal in him (though not nearly as tough or strong in the corners). And I also think he has some Ryan Kesler in him, though again not as tough as Kesler used to be and Kesler is better in front of the net and Nelson makes his money 10-15 out in the circle/slot with deadly wrist shots.

He has a nice blend of (Zajac/Staal/Kesler) in him, and will be a real nice hockey player, probably as quickly as next year. I just hope he is used correctly (whch I have no confidence in Capuano to use him and develop him correctly at the NHL level). But no question, Brock Nelson is THE Next Brock Nelson

Old
06-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
This is funny AND true. I have no idea why this is in the goalie thread though.

Brock Nelson (as with all players) is his own player with unique style of play and skills. It's fun to compare to other players. Personally I think he most closely resembles Travis Zajac, although Nelson is a better skater. He also has some Jordan Staal in him (though not nearly as tough or strong in the corners). And I also think he has some Ryan Kesler in him, though again not as tough as Kesler used to be and Kesler is better in front of the net and Nelson makes his money 10-15 out in the circle/slot with deadly wrist shots.

He has a nice blend of (Zajac/Staal/Kesler) in him, and will be a real nice hockey player, probably as quickly as next year. I just hope he is used correctly (whch I have no confidence in Capuano to use him and develop him correctly at the NHL level). But no question, Brock Nelson is THE Next Brock Nelson

Exactly!

Closed Thread