HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs/Canucks interested in Sam Gagner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2013, 02:45 PM
  #76
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,618
vCash: 178
Unless Luongo's going, I don't see the point in Gagner for us. Good player sure, but if it costs us Bieksa+ then no.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  #77
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
HF Boards where a team with a lack of centre depth doesn't want a 23 year old on a 65 point pace.

__________________
K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:47 PM
  #78
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Unless Luongo's going, I don't see the point in Gagner for us. Good player sure, but if it costs us Bieksa+ then no.
I'd trade Bieksa for Gagner. But like I said I'm very high on him.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:48 PM
  #79
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1
 
ExOilerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,411
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Yup, maybe it's because he's been in the league for so long and people think he's 30+
Probably lol
Imagine if the Oilers had kept him in the AHL and brought him up this year. His value would be through the roof. Aka shiny new toy syndrome

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:48 PM
  #80
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Probably lol
Imagine if the Oilers had kept him in the AHL and brought him up this year. His value would be through the roof. Aka shiny new toy syndrome
Nazem Kadri

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:48 PM
  #81
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,840
vCash: 500
Bad time to pick up Gagner. Inflated value, he's not an upgrade to Grabovski.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  #82
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I'd trade Bieksa for Gagner. But like I said I'm very high on him.
Really? I'd do from from Oilers POV

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  #83
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
As an Oiler fan, I'm only open to moving Gagner if we can get a big 2nd line C to replace him. We're already getting rid of Horcoff so our Centre depth is awful at the moment.
Joe Colborne

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  #84
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
HF Boards where a team with a lack of centre depth doesn't want a 23 year old on a 65 point pace.
Hard to want him when the fans of his own team wants him shipped

We have enough small skilled centers (Kadri, Grabo) Gagner can go somewhere else to get pushed around.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  #85
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Really? I'd do from from Oilers POV
I love Gagner, I don't speak for the entire fan base though.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  #86
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Bad time to pick up Gagner. Inflated value, he's not an upgrade to Grabovski.
Agree, I hope we don't move Grabovski for nothing. He's going to rebound fine and have a good year.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  #87
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,618
vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I'd trade Bieksa for Gagner. But like I said I'm very high on him.
My problem with that trade is it weakens us on the back end to fill a nonexistent need. Gagner is really too good to be anchoring the third line. So either we convert him or Kesler to a winger and hope it works out.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  #88
hockeygeek
Registered User
 
hockeygeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Grabo will be gone I think.

I think the "we may use a compliance buy out" statement by Nonis was about Grabo, not Komi
You don't think they would give him another year to see if the last one was just a flukey bad year? That would probably be less of a knee jerk decision

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  #89
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Hard to want him when the fans of his own team wants him shipped

We have enough small skilled centers (Kadri, Grabo) Gagner can go somewhere else to get pushed around.
I don't think they "Want him shipped" It's more so a matter of filling in a bigger need for the Oilers. They realize they have to give value to get that, that's why he's in so many proposals kinda like Edler with Van fans.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
  #90
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,689
vCash: 159
Man, Sam Gagner is underrated as hell around here. He's not the ideal big, two-way center the Leafs could use, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were a near-PPG player between Kessel & Lupul/JVR.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:54 PM
  #91
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,882
vCash: 1815
Wouldn't at all mind picking up Gagner but not sure what we'd have to give up.

Can he play wing?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:55 PM
  #92
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
My problem with that trade is it weakens us on the back end to fill a nonexistent need. Gagner is really too good to be anchoring the third line. So either we convert him or Kesler to a winger and hope it works out.
I think it's dependent on Tanev. I believe Chris is ready for a top 4 spot, Tanev can take Bieksa's spot with Edler and Corrado would than take Tanev's spot. Like you mentioned Gagner can play in 2 roles 3 rd line centre or move Kesler to the Wing and use Gagner as the playmaking centre a la Sundin.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:58 PM
  #93
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,618
vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I think it's dependent on Tanev. I believe Chris is ready for a top 4 spot, Tanev can take Bieksa's spot with Edler and Corrado would than take Tanev's spot. Like you mentioned Gagner can play in 2 roles 3 rd line centre or move Kesler to the Wing and use Gagner as the playmaking centre a la Sundin.
While I wouldn't be disappointed by it, and agree Tanev is arguably ready to crack the top four consistently. I have to imagine Gillis will push Luongo even if we likely have to add.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:59 PM
  #94
veedubn1
Registered User
 
veedubn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
HF Boards where a team with a lack of centre depth doesn't want a 23 year old on a 65 point pace.
If hockey was only about scoring points, the Oilers will be winning the next 5 cups.

Unfortunately, there's more to hockey than just scoring points, and it's those key areas where Gagner struggles.

On top of that, he's a midget... which isn't ideal for Toronto who already has Kessel and Kadri in their top 6. If you have been paying attention to the playoffs, it's the teams with mid to large skilled centers that advance, not the teams that employ smurfs at every skill position.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:00 PM
  #95
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While I wouldn't be disappointed by it, and agree Tanev is arguably ready to crack the top four consistently. I have to imagine Gillis will push Luongo even if we likely have to add.
Oh that's something I'd also do without thinking twice. Agreed though we'd have to add.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
  #96
Saul Alinsky
Community Organizer
 
Saul Alinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Not interested in Gagner. Small, soft, overrated. Hasn't hit 50 points once in his career, and after 5 full seasons in the NHL, there's no reason to think he's going to suddenly break out.

We have Bozak, Kadri and Grabovski as our top three centers. There is literally nothing that Gagner brings to make him worth significant assets to a team like the Leafs.

The Oilers need size in their top six? So does Toronto.

Saul Alinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:03 PM
  #97
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor
 
K2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
If hockey was only about scoring points, the Oilers will be winning the next 5 cups.

Unfortunately, there's more to hockey than just scoring points, and it's those key areas where Gagner struggles.

On top of that, he's a midget... which isn't ideal for Toronto who already has Kessel and Kadri in their top 6. If you have been paying attention to the playoffs, it's the teams with mid to large skilled centers that advance, not the teams that employ smurfs at every skill position.
Every team needs skill. I agree hockey isn't only about production but the overall objective of the game is to outscore the opponent the face remains Gagner was a 65 point centre this year while at the young age of 23, Toronto showed first hand a team like Boston can be beaten with speed and skill. Size and character are majorly overrated, Chicago is the best example of that.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:04 PM
  #98
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Phaneuf + Grabovski

For

Gagner + 2nd

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:04 PM
  #99
EscapeGoat
We The North
 
EscapeGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
Not interested in Gagner. Small, soft, overrated. Hasn't hit 50 points once in his career, and after 5 full seasons in the NHL, there's no reason to think he's going to suddenly break out.

We have Bozak, Kadri and Grabovski as our top three centers. There is literally nothing that Gagner brings to make him worth significant assets to a team like the Leafs.

The Oilers need size in their top six? So does Toronto.
Agreed. Even if Gagner has broken out somewhat, I wouldn't give up significant value for a small #2C that can't win faceoffs. The Leafs already have Kadri.

Pressing needs are a #1C and a defensive defenceman to play with Phaneuf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Phaneuf + Grabovski

For

Gagner + 2nd
I wouldn't even do that if you changed the 2nd to the 7th overall pick. The Leafs aren't rebuilding.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:07 PM
  #100
Empros*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Gardiner + 21st for Gagner

Empros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.