HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk | Part V | It's French for "The Tang Wants Paid"

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Yeah, I prefer Backstrom because he probably would settle for a 2-3 year deal because of his age:
if we move Fleury, Backstrom would be my choice too. I just don't think Shero has any interest in two old goalies.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I'd probably take a house plant in net over Fleury, at this point. So my opinion is irrelevant. I mean... more than usual.
Regardless of what Shero/Bylsma say, I'm sure half the team feels that way also. The expression on their faces after the goals he gave up against the Isles were clearly like "You've gotta be ****ing kidding me..."

Old
06-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Garbage Goal

Personally, if I were you guys I'd be rooting for a Backstrom-Vokoun combo. They're both old, but that doesn't matter as far as winning the Cup goes. They both have good track records and, at least at first sight, give you a better chance at winning now which is what this team should be focusing on with Crosby and Malkin in the middle of their primes.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
if we move Fleury, Backstrom would be my choice too. I just don't think Shero has any interest in two old goalies.
I'm sure we could make a deal for a younger goalie. Shero has a side business called "Defenseman Factory" in play.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Regardless of what Shero/Bylsma say, I'm sure half the team feels that way also. The expression on their faces after the goals he gave up against the Isles were clearly like "You've gotta be ****ing kidding me..."
I remember those feelings playing ball hockey. I don't know, we're just not in a good situation. I'm not sure how I'd handle it. I think Shero would just rather take a chance on the devil he knows vs a new potential bad situation.

If Shero does make a move in goalie, he will make sure we are spending less Cap on goalies. No chance he goes for another high price guy right away.

Old
Waffle Fries

Quote:
What's the point of keeping Fleury if he's a revolving door himself in goal in the playoffs? His time here in Pittsburgh is done IMO. Let him go work with Fletcher and Yeo to get his career back on track.

I used to be a major Fleury fan but after seeing him fall apart again this year I lost all faith in him. It's the same thing every year. I used to be a Fleury apologist but no more.

Shero's going to have to bite the bullet. Trade one of your highly touted D prospects for someone like Jack Campbell or another highly ranked G prospect. There are ways to obtain long term solutions. Dallas and other teams need D. We need a goaltender.
I'm not advocating keeping Fleury, I think he's done here as well. Fleury to Minny would be best for everyone, but I just understand where Shero is coming from.

What kind of potential does Hartzell have? If they think that he can actually be a starter in two or three years, then sure go with the vet guy. If he trades one of the D prospects for a very good goaltending prospect, same thing.

But right now we don't have an answer, so I understand his hesitation. I do think this is Fleury's last year with the team though and Shero will be looking around for that solution.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:03 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
There's a damned good reason the team often plays like a completely different group of guys in front of Vokoun compared to Fleury. We would see it in the past, too with some of the other backups. It's not a coincidence. They might love the guy... but they don't have any faith in him as a professional.

And having an older tandem wouldn't bother me at all. Age is largely a much slower killer of careers for goaltenders than it is for skaters. As was previously mentioned... it would also mean shorter term contracts so that the team could maintain flexibility until they figure things out in that area, long term.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:05 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
I'd honestly rather go with 2 old goalies 1 year at a time than go with the old wingers on their last legs 1 year at a time thing

Old
06-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I'm not advocating keeping Fleury, I think he's done here as well. Fleury to Minny would be best for everyone, but I just understand where Shero is coming from.

What kind of potential does Hartzell have? If they think that he can actually be a starter in two yeas, then sure go with the vet guy. If he trades one of the D prospects for a very good goaltending prospect, same thing.

But right now we don't have an answer, so I understand his hesitation. I do think this is Fleury's last year with the team though and Shero will be looking around for that solution.
Goalies are a tough cookie to crack in order to determine how they will look in the NHL.

I will say this about Hartzell. I went to the Frozen Four with a guy that has been a goaltender for a long time and played in college. He thought Hartzell was phenomenal and had a ton of potential. He mentioned a few times he thought for Hartzell's size (6'4"), his lateral movement going from post to post was phenomenal. His comments were before finding out before Hartzell signed with the Pens. My friend isn't a Pens fan and thought it was a great signing for us.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:08 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'd honestly rather go with 2 old goalies 1 year at a time than go with the old wingers on their last legs 1 year at a time thing
I'd laugh if it wasn't so depressingly accurate.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I don't disagree. But I believe Shero does. He seems to view wing as the least important position on the team by a pretty wide margin.

In no way do I think he is actually confident in Fleury. At least not to the extent that he is putting on. I just think it terrifies him to not have a "franchise goalie." He's always had one. He sees Philly across the state. He sees Washington. He doesn't want to be looking for a new goalie every other year. He is willing to give Fleury another shot to avoid being in that situation. If we didn't have Vokoun, I think he'd be going for a bigger shake-up in net. But he knows Fleury can get us to the playoffs. And now he has reason to believe that Vokoun can get it done at that point even if Fleury doesn't prove him right.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
That's fine. I am all for moving Fleury. I'm just explaining why i don't think its an exciting group of goalies even if its better than Fleury.

I would too. that doesn't make this an exciting group of goaltenders. Its just less terrible than Fleury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
There's a damned good reason the team often plays like a completely different group of guys in front of Vokoun compared to Fleury. We would see it in the past, too with some of the other backups. It's not a coincidence. They might love the guy... but they don't have any faith in him as a professional.

And having an older tandem wouldn't bother me at all. Age is largely a much slower killer of careers for goaltenders than it is for skaters. As was previously mentioned... it would also mean shorter term contracts so that the team could maintain flexibility until they figure things out in that area, long term.
Quote:
They keep talking about Detroit as a model. Well, the Red Wings went years with a short-term plan in goal...until Jimmy Howard came along.

That should be our plan. Don't forcefeed a new goaltender of the future until you find the right guy. In the meantime, go with short-term goaltenders on 1-2 year deals and see what happens.

We actually got good enough goaltending from Vokoun to win a Stanley Cup this spring, despite the rest of the club being a complete hot mess. So that should speak volumes.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Jacob

Yeah.. having veteran goalies would be a bonus. We saw with Vokoun that he's kind of a calming presence for the rest of the team in net and he knows how to control the pace of a game (as much as a goalie can) in terms of knowing when to get faceoffs and when to keep the flow going and that sort of thing.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Goalies are a tough cookie to crack in order to determine how they will look in the NHL.

I will say this about Hartzell. I went to the Frozen Four with a guy that has been a goaltender for a long time and played in college. He thought Hartzell was phenomenal and had a ton of potential. He mentioned a few times he thought for Hartzell's size (6'4"), his lateral movement going from post to post was phenomenal. His comments were before finding out before Hartzell signed with the Pens. My friend isn't a Pens fan and thought it was a great signing for us.
Interesting. Thanks for the info

Old
06-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I like the Bernier deal purely because it means that the Wild will have a vested interest in Fleury. Their #1 target is gone, now they will hopefully turn to Fleury.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I like the Bernier deal purely because it means that the Wild will have a vested interest in Fleury. Their #1 target is gone, now they will hopefully turn to Fleury.
That only matters if Shero actually is willing to move him. I don't know that he is. I hope so.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
That only matters if Shero actually is willing to move him. I don't know that he is. I hope so.
You've got think that he wouldn't be stupid enough to not have potential targets or names in mind if we received an attractive offer. If it helps us going forward then I'm all for it. Personally, I'd like to get Backstrom.

Fleury + Niskane for Clutterbuck + Backstrom (I know that he's a UFA soon so this'd be on the basis he'd sign here)

Old
06-23-2013, 05:22 PM
mpp9

Quote:
It has more to do with Fleury wanting to go elsewhere. I can't remember any exit interviews from him. Or any comments since the playoffs. Maybe that's still up in the air.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It has more to do with Fleury wanting to go elsewhere. I can't remember any exit interviews from him. Or any comments since the playoffs. Maybe that's still up in the air.
That would be terrific. Maybe he thinks he'd do better on a more defensive team out west. And if Shero has let him know he's on a really short leash with Vokoun on his heels, who knows. Maybe two straight years being told he needs to see a shrink will chase him away Can we get Pens fans and media to stop treating him well?

Yinzerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ASSSSSEEEEMMMMMMMMBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Jacob

if I were Fleury I might ask for a trade too so I don't have to look my teammates in the eye after the last 2 playoffs.

if I were him I'd have probably killed myself last summer though.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Quote:
When Fleury was asked pointedly if he thought the coaching staff still had confidence in him, his barely audible answer was this: “Ummmm ... I don't know. I haven't really talked with Dan yet. I talked with Gilles. We had a good talk. I don't know. You should ask them about me.”
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#ixzz2X55BT2Hj

Old
06-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
if I were Fleury I might ask for a trade too so I don't have to look my teammates in the eye after the last 2 playoffs.

if I were him I'd have probably killed myself last summer though.
I think the fans will get to him before the players. That can turn a players head.

Personally, I like the guy, but it's best he moves on.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
wow I missed that. He has to feel like a giant turd. Playing like a giant turd could have that effect

Old
06-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Waffle Fries

His getaway day interview was one of the most awkward things I've ever seen.

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...sole?id=258461

Old
06-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I think the fans will get to him before the players. That can turn a players head.

Personally, I like the guy, but it's best he moves on.
I agree. I kid you not, if Fleury is here next year and does this again, Consol is going to turn into a boo barn and embarrass the team, coaches, and management.

Then again, if he comes back and turns into Brodeur , then everyone will forgive him.

I don't see how MAF recovers from this as a Penguin. It's time to move on for everyone's best interest.

Closed Thread