HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk | Part V | It's French for "The Tang Wants Paid"

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Waffle Fries

vCash: 500
And if Luongo gets bought out, he might be willing to sign for a little less than his current cap hit if he got to be the starter on a contender.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Backstrom's only 1 year older than Luongo and 2 years older than Miller, and he's had some injuries but nothing serious.
latest was a hernia. if that's cause for concern might as well take Brooks out behind the barn and shoot him.

in fact:

Quote:
Minnesota Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher tells ESPN.com that goaltender Niklas Backstrom is 100-percent healthy after undergoing sports hernia surgery just days after the season ended.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...backstrom-more

Old
06-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
you think all of a sudden we are going to change philosophies if we move fleury? i cant see us running like the wings used to with an osgood type. i fully expect after the ****show that has been our netminding the last 4 playoff seasons that shero/ownership will be looking for a real goalie. Luongo's cap hit of 5.3 is actually pretty good. Miller at 6+ is a bit high but hes only got 1 year left on that.

Backstrom isn't going to come at 2 mil if that's what you were thinking anyways. He wont be less than 4 mil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Luongo only has the 10th highest cap hit at 5.3

Only 333,333 more than Fleury and a hell of a better class of goaltender.
Miller and Luongo will also cost us trade assets. And how often do high paid goalies switch teams and never play like they did to earn their salary? I'd say too often. If Luongo gets bought out and we can go for a shorter contract then sure, go for it. But we don't want guys locked up long term or guys at high cap hits until we know they can play well for us.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 6m
#TribHKY told #pens not looking to move Fleury unless he asks out. Also, they do not like goalie market this summer, so they need starter.

We don't like the goalie market this summer?
Yah no ****... they can like it or not, or Rossi can assume they don't like it, but there hasn't been a goalie market this good in a long time. Way more quality options than most summers.

As far as Backstrom, health is definitely an issue with him from year to year. He's good, but the kind of guy you build a platoon system with, not him being the go-to guy. Vokoun and Backstrom as a tandem would be pretty bad-ass.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Gold Diamond
Til Death do we Part

<---- just for you special people here. MAF is a good goalie. He has head problems, yes, but that can be fixed. I don't think the Pens brass will ever give up on him.

I could be wrong, however. And if that time comes I'll gladly eat my words as long as we get an upgrade at that position.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Diamond View Post
<---- just for you special people here. MAF is a good goalie. He has head problems, yes, but that can be fixed. I don't think the Pens brass will ever give up on him.

I could be wrong, however. And if that time comes I'll gladly eat my words as long as we get an upgrade at that position.
He's an athletic goalie, but he has problems with his positioning. And he scores on himself.

He has head problems, they might be able to be fixed.

But I totally disagree that the Pens brass will never give up on him. This year is his last chance. If he has another meltdown, he's gone.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

This is what I thought last year after his complete and utter meltdown in what was his 3rd poor playoff performance in a row. This year's meltdown to complete the four-peat really just killed my positive thoughts about Fleury. He has back to back historically bad playoff performances.

I hope you and Shero are right. The kid has all the talent and athleticism in the world.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Aiastelmon

I was still on the Fleury bandwagon after last year. He played far too many games that year, and we played awful in front of him against Philly. But against NYI there really was no excuse for that kind of play.

He needs to go, and if Minny likes him, you take whatever you can get, and go for Backstrom or anyone else. Heck, you've got 5 mil in space to get your stopgap.

Then draft / sign / develop accordingly. Platooning good older goaltenders is not the worst idea. A guy like Vokoun may not be the best ever, but his head is right come crunch time.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:03 PM
mr sidney crosby

Just got in for the day, did I miss anything on the pens today?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

I thought Fleury needed to go, but your avatar convinced me otherwise!

Old
06-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:

Yeah, MAF's a Hell of a goalie.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
<---- just for you special people here. MAF is a good goalie. He has head problems, yes, but that can be fixed.
LMFAO. Have you ever dated a girl who was a head case? Did you ever try to change her? How'd that go for you?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
He's an athletic goalie, but he has problems with his positioning. And he scores on himself.

He has head problems, they might be able to be fixed.

But I totally disagree that the Pens brass will never give up on him. This year is his last chance. If he has another meltdown, he's gone.
I certainly thought this past season was his last chance. At this point I would be shocked to see the pens trade him which is utterly pathetic.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Waffle Fries

I was reading the Phaneuf thread on the main board and I saw this and thought it applied to any Letang conversation as well:

Quote:
Best two comparable trades of top Dmen with one year left on their deals are:

Brent Burns to San Jose for Charlie Coyle, Setoguhci, 28th overall pick. This deal allowed them to have the cap space to sign Suter the following off-season.

Chris Pronger to Philly for Lupul, Sbisa, 21st overall and 2010 1st rounder.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:29 PM
redsono93

If we did trade Fleury to Minny could we add Niskanen and trade for Zucker and Clutterbuck?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:43 PM
GaryT

The Penguins support of Fleury is just a ruse. They've already shown they don't have faith in him by getting Vokoun and the last straw was when the benched him in the Playoffs.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
I was reading the Phaneuf thread on the main board and I saw this and thought it applied to any Letang conversation as well:
I believe Burns only had one year remaining on his contract before becoming a free agent but did Pronger as well?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
I believe Burns only had one year remaining on his contract before becoming a free agent but did Pronger as well?
Yes he did.

If Letang is traded, I don't expect the return of that Pronger deal, but I would imagine he'd be valued more than Burns was at the time and he returned a good bit. Something between those two deals would be likely.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Yes he did.

If Letang is traded, I don't expect the return of that Pronger deal, but I would imagine he'd be valued more than Burns was at the time and he returned a good bit. Something between those two deals would be likely.
Agreed. That BB package was pretty good at the time. I think Seto only had one poor season up to that point and Coyle was obviously a pretty good prospect. I'd like a top 10 coming back in the upcoming draft this year if Letang was traded tho

Old
06-23-2013, 11:01 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Yes he did.

Wasn't Pronger in his mid 30's when he was traded? Even though i think Letang is overrated, i think a 26 year old Letang would be worth more, if i remember right both those trades were made during the draft.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Wasn't Pronger in his mid 30's when he was traded? Even though i think Letang is overrated, i think a 26 year old Letang would be worth more, if i remember right both those trades were made during the draft.
I think Pronger was 34 at the time. I know he was traded at the draft, I'm not sure about Burns.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
If we did trade Fleury to Minny could we add Niskanen and trade for Zucker and Clutterbuck?
Zucker is a non-starter on the interwebs. try gunning for Mario Lucia, and you won't be pelted with beaver excrement (or excrement of whatever other animals they hunt over those woods).

Last edited by Crafton: 06-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old
06-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

I don't feel like going into various trade scenarios at this point. Just wanted to say that Shero has to have a productive Summer.

Since our cup win, every single deadline pickup has been a relative disaster. No one played really well - perhaps the most successful was Murray - and to this point we've signed ZERO among these players.

In free agency Shero has benefited from players taking less to stay, which says more about the players than him, and has picked up just one guy who has been genuinely good for us in Paul Martin. And there's a major asterix there in so far as he surely hasn't been very good all along, and wasn't in fact what was needed when he was signed (or Michalek wasn't).

When it comes to trades, Shero justifiably gets a lot of props for the hockey trades. Those you could classify as asset management trades, he doesn't really do them, and we've been over the rental deals.

Shero has extended Bylsma and the coaching staff which is in my opinion the most likely 'primary culpable' in our entire organization. He has at least verbally given the indication that we are sticking with Fleury, who is our only player who is overpaid relative to what he brings and one who has completely tanked in the post-season three out of the past four years - and was outplayed by oldie Roloson in the remaining outing.

What I am saying is that while I am really disappointed that Dan is staying, and think that several of Shero's moves (especially this year) could have panned out better if those resources had been utilized better by Bylsma, Shero has left me railing about us "not addressing our actual needs" EVERY season since we won the cup. Every single one.

Before the 12/13 season I said that it was an important season for Bylsma to show that he had learned. I think he showed that he had learned little to nothing. This season I think Shero is under the same microscope, because having the core assets we do... you need to be legit, and you need to be able to continually add the right kind of complimentary assets.

Yes, it is difficult. Luck plays a big part and we haven't had much of it, but when you are a GM - or a coach - in the end it is about results.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:15 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

the Letang offers i've been hearing from non-Pens fans have been horrible for the most part. they forget the whole Jordan Staal thing. look at what Jordan Staal did to handcuff Shero and he still got a pretty sweet deal.

Letang isn't even at the Staal stage yet of "making" Shero trade him. if Letang wants $7M per year for 8 years (heck, even if he wanted $8M for 8 years), the Pens will find a way to keep him. the Pens will make it happen.

but apparently, Letang is worthless because he's a UFA after NEXT season.

Old
06-24-2013, 05:37 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Yes he did.

If Letang is traded that Pronger return is exactly the type of return we should get for him. Lupul wasn't a top player at the time, he was very average for years and only became good in the last couple seasons. Sbisa was considered very good at the time though, compared to how he is now.

Letang is much better than Burns was at the time of his trade, although it still may be one of the only recent comparable for trading a good Dman.

Closed Thread