HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #7 (Halak rumor from CSN, post #628)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2013, 09:22 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
No I just blocked you, which I guess on FB extends to preventing you from seeing what I post.
Where is this post? I need to read it!

06-26-2013, 09:24 AM
sa cyred
Trying to Chill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I love Hartnell. He has skill, grit and character. He's a warrior.

I may well be alone in this, but I was watching the finals thinking, "Cripes, the Flyers forwards as is (with Read at 2LW and Gagne on 3LW), could play even with both these teams given a decent goaltending and a healthy D."

I really don't see any reason why we can't compete for the East next year.
ESPECIALLY if we somehow get a solid vet goalie to complement Mason - and Mason plays like he did in his audition.

If we could sign Luongo on a post-buyout deal, acquire Halak, Elliott, Hiller or Miller, or sign Smith or Emery, the sky's the limit.

Too much of the old Rainbows and Sunshine (yeah, I know he signed in Vancouver!)???
What happened Larry. I feel like we debated more in the past. Seems like I can't now with posts like this!

Old
06-26-2013, 09:26 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'm happy Larry said it, because that's exactly how I feel about Hartnell. Everyone has been so quick to say he sucks, but really, he is a great player. He will score, he will hit, he will fight, and yes, he will take dumb penalties. Fair trade-off, IMO.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:36 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'm happy Larry said it, because that's exactly how I feel about Hartnell. Everyone has been so quick to say he sucks, but really, he is a great player. He will score, he will hit, he will fight, and yes, he will take dumb penalties. Fair trade-off, IMO.
Hartnell isn't a guy I'm worried about, unless the injuries start to take their toll later in his career his game shouldn't fall off a cliff in his mid 30s.

As for the post it was literally a response to people saying that Coburn and Laughton was too much to give up for the 7th overall pick, which I disagree with. I like Laughton, but I certainly don't deem him untouchable, and when Shafer started suggesting that Laughton projects to be just a little bit less of a player than Monahan I figured it wasn't worth arguing about. I think Monahan or Lindholm (who I actually would prefer at 7 if they were dead red on taking a forward and Nichuskin is gone) project to be much more effective and valuable players in the NHL than Laughton.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Hartnell isn't a guy I'm worried about, unless the injuries start to take their toll later in his career his game shouldn't fall off a cliff in his mid 30s.

As for the post it was literally a response to people saying that Coburn and Laughton was too much to give up for the 7th overall pick, which I disagree with. I like Laughton, but I certainly don't deem him untouchable, and when Shafer started suggesting that Laughton projects to be just a little bit less of a player than Monahan I figured it wasn't worth arguing about. I think Monahan or Lindholm (who I actually would prefer at 7 if they were dead red on taking a forward and Nichuskin is gone) project to be much more effective and valuable players in the NHL than Laughton.
You must be one of the smart people I talk to on there then! If I bring up a name that isn't a Flyers player, no one knows what the hell they are talking about lol. Someone tried telling me that Ladislav Smid would be an upgrade over Coburn. I dunno how that is possible.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Monahan, for all intents and purposes, is a Couturier.

Some of us (not myself) this season were suggesting trading Couturier because Laughton was likely to be able to replace him.

Don't sleep on Laughton. Scouts were calling him the best forward in the OHL this season for a reason. Whether or not he was absolutely the best forward this year is debatable, but he is going to be an incredible forward. He also has offensive potential, something people seem to forget because of the role he's going to be immediately placed into here.

I will say this once again:

Trading a 28-year-old #2 defenseman and a two-way potential #2 center along with a 3rd round pick for a potential #1/2 (less proven) center is pretty asinine for the Flyers at this point.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
All I'm saying is I would love a player like him who is going to be a consistent top 6 guy to focus more on being effective 5 on 5. He turns the puck over way too often which is not a good combo with being poor defensively I don't argue that at 3.9M it's not good value but I have a feeling he is going to wear out his welcome well before the end of that contract.
Sorry, but calling Shenanigans. He'll turn 25 before training camp. He's played 5 full seasons before he was 25. He's scored on pace for 30 goals the last two years. He's still getting bigger and stronger. He's fast. He fights. He's a really great player. His contract is great value.

With Voracek and Simmonds, we have an excellent top 6 RW combo. Young, signed, ready to win. When Mathers gets in there, look out.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:46 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You must be one of the smart people I talk to on there then! If I bring up a name that isn't a Flyers player, no one knows what the hell they are talking about lol. Someone tried telling me that Ladislav Smid would be an upgrade over Coburn. I dunno how that is possible.
It's not unlike HF boards, there are a handful of people that you can actually have a conversation with and everybody else is just a know it all who either believes everything the Flyers have is sunshine and rainbows. Than there's the other portion of know it alls that are just pure haters lol.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm arguing with the Facebook crew.

Someone tried to explain to me why Coburn + Laughton + 3rd rounder should be used to pry the 7th away from Edmonton just so we can draft Monahan...

He failed.
That would be a very large overpayment. Laughton is a very good prospect who is NHL ready.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:58 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Trading a 28-year-old #2 defenseman and a two-way potential #2 center along with a 3rd round pick for a potential #1/2 (less proven) center is pretty asinine for the Flyers at this point.
Has Coburn ever shown enough consistency to be considered a #2 defenseman? I see him as a #3/#4.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
In terms of production, no, but he did lead the team in ATOI this season.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Has Coburn ever shown enough consistency to be considered a #2 defenseman? I see him as a #3/#4.
When he was paired with Timonen.

Coburn, when paired with a consistent partner better than him or at his level, he has always performed exceptionally.

When paired with guys like Carle, Gervais, and Grossmann, etc, he has always struggled.

I think Coburn's struggles are far more obvious than voodoo, black magic, and the way the moon is hanging in the sky.

There's easily solvable. That's why we got Streit.

Getting Streit just to trade away Coburn seems worthy. On top of that, you really have to think of the long-term ramifications. How are we going to replace both Coburn and Timonen next year. It's hard enough replacing one of them.

EDIT: Some people on facebook seem to think it'd be okay to just pencil Lauridsen into the lineup next season. Ugh.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
EDIT: Some people on facebook seem to think it'd be okay to just pencil Lauridsen into the lineup next season. Ugh.
He performed well enough to be considered a reasonable 7th, with Gus in and Mez gone.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
In terms of production, no, but he did lead the team in ATOI this season.
And while he was on the ice the team gave up 1.4 more goals per 60 minutes than they scored. Coburns ice time is a credit to his endurance, but I think it's more out of necessity due to the Flyers lack of a true #1 defenseman versus Coburn being such an effective player that he warrants 26 min/g

Old
06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
He performed well enough to be considered a reasonable 7th, with Gus in and Mez gone.
Gervais is our 7th.

And honestly, I don't know if I want Lauridsen languishing as our #7.

Keep him in the minors competing with Manning. The winner of Manning vs. Lauridsen has a shot as a bottom pairing shut-down guy in the NHL.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Yeah, Lauridsen and Manning aren't ready.

06-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Coburn cannot cover for a partner, but he can certainly support one. Not that dissimilar from what Carle did with Pronger. If paired with Streit this year, I expect Coburn to look a lot more like a 2/3 guy than a 3/4 guy.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ure-thing.html

Quote:
15. Flyers fans live in constant paranoia over what Philly will do with its young players. Maybe this will help. I've found a few teams that have asked about Couturier over the last year or so. Holmgren refuses to do it, with one possible exception. I'm not including it because I can't prove it, but if true, it would have brought a strong (and young) return.
Rest a little easier my fellow Flyer Fans, for the time being.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:45 AM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Oh thanks, great, now I'm going to be thinking about who the exception is.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Coburn cannot cover for a partner, but he can certainly support one. Not that dissimilar from what Carle did with Pronger. If paired with Streit this year, I expect Coburn to look a lot more like a 2/3 guy than a 3/4 guy.
Unfortunately, he's getting paid the sort of money you'd expect for a guy who can hold down a pairing, not play second fiddle.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

It's funny how we always talk about what teams ask for when we inquire about their players...

Like the Voracek for Bernier nonsense...

Now, think about that insanity, and think about what it must take to pry Couturier away from the Flyers.

If St. Louis came to the door asking for Couturier, they'd likely be met with Pietrangelo or GTFO based on the crazy stuff we hear GMs demanding of us for their average pieces.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What happened Larry. I feel like we debated more in the past. Seems like I can't now with posts like this!
What happened? You have finally absorbed, by osmosis, the wisdom of your elder.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:48 AM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Unfortunately, he's getting paid the sort of money you'd expect for a guy who can hold down a pairing, not play second fiddle.
Oilers beat writer on HB suggested MPS + Marincin for Coburn....

Old
06-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Oh thanks, great, now I'm going to be thinking about who the exception is.
I was trying to figure it out as well. Has to be a RFA though. Now big named RFA's that are out their of course- Pietrangelo(my dreams would come true), Voynov, Shattenkirk, Bogo, Mcdonagh. They would be best guess as to the one's who aren't under contract.

Now under contract, WEBER!!! No just joking, or maybe, okay I am not joking. It's Shea Weber. There figured it out.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:52 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Oilers beat writer on HB suggested MPS + Marincin for Coburn....
Ugh...

Closed Thread