HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The one non starter for any contract would be NMC or NTC. I would refuse to ever have one in any contract.
Agreed.
It's so Flamesque.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
So glad the Oilers recognize the importance of this kid going forward. He's all heart and soul. Between him, Hall, and Yakupov this team certainly won't be lacking in heart and determination. I wish other players would follow their example.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
So glad the Oilers recognize the importance of this kid going forward. He's all heart and soul. Between him, Hall, and Yakupov this team certainly won't be lacking in heart and determination. I wish other players would follow their example.
I think it's because they have no other centres, not because he's important going forward.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I think it's because they have no other centres, not because he's important going forward.
It was pretty damn obvious over the course of the season that he's become one of the leaders on this team. For better or for worse.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
When Horcoff signed his crap contract with the Oilers, he was actually being used as a first line center, putting up better points than Gagner is now, and playing solid defensively.

I dislike Horcoff and actually like Gagner and think he gets a bad wrap rap from some guys here, but anything over 4 to 4.5 is overpayment.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Do you honestly expect the 7th pick, if it's a C - say Monahan or Lindholm - to be able to step into the Oilers line up out of major jr and play 2C in the NHL ?

Because if you do, you're going to be disappointed, and I for one do not want to see Belanger penciled into our lineup as the 2C. Without Horcoff or Gagner (or a suitable replacement) that's all we have.
We need a player who can fill 1C role for the next 3 years. Let RNH kill it at 2C while he matures . If we draft Monahan or Lindholm, either 1 could be our #3C this year or next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I love Gagner but I'm not sure he's an NHL center...at least full-time

employ the SJ model and have him playing part-time center while allowing another guy to take draws in key situations and move him to the RW

hopefully in a a few years they have a guy like Monahan or Lindholm or Horvat doing this
THIS +1!!!!

Quote:
Precedence has been set.

6 years:
7, 6.5, 6.5, 6, 4, 3 with a cap hit of 5.5 each year and a no trade no movement clause.
OMG no way please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Just look around the league. Upshall makes 3.5, Horcoff 5.5, Grabovski 5.5, Stastny 6.6...

If Gagner doesn't get 4.5 he should fire his agent. As a UFA, even is the cap world, a team will give him 5M if he has a 60 point season before UFA status.

Gags stats are likely to improve as he rides the coat tails of better players too.
Three of those 4 contracts are overpays and are classic reasons NOT to pay more than 4.5 per. Geez, Gags should learn from Horcoff's contract. It must have been hell for him these last years in Edmonton not living up to his contract. Collecting a big payday is nice, but being actively persecuted for it for years would wear anyone down.. Fans are polarized on Gagner right now. I can easily imagine the fans running him out of town if he cannot live up to a big contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
This is his value as an Oiler for sure. Playing for so many dif Oilers coaches and being put on an NHL team under tough conditions at such a early age has worked against his development for sure.

Oiler fans don't care though. We are in a 'what have you done for me lately' age and if Gags gets north of 5 mil he had better be like Tavares or within 1 million of Hall's on ice value or he will be persecuted in Edmonton

Old
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Bushwick Bill

Stauffer just said he expects him to sign between 4.7-5.0 per season

Old
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
The one non starter for any contract would be NMC or NTC. I would refuse to ever have one in any contract.
I'd only give him a NTC if he's willing to take a large home team discount, say 3 million a year instead of the 4-5 he's probably going to get otherwise. If he wants to play for Edmonton because he loves the city or team, that's one thing. If he wants to leverage his position for a big payday, that's something else. I don't mind paying a pro what they're worth, but part of what comes with being a pro is the possibility of getting traded.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Kind of what i am expecting. I was hoping for less, but as someone pointed out, if he gets less than 4.5M per season he should fire his agent.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Digger12

Quote:
That's around the upper limit of what I'd consider acceptable. Depends on the term of course.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Maybe they don't know his actual demands yet? Look at Grabovski and how one bad year can kill a players trade value when they have a $5 million cap hit. Hell look at Hemsky.
They have to have some pretty good ideas about his demands. And I am willing to take on that risk. I think Gagner can still be valuable at 5M. Maybe some salary would need to be retained, but he'd still have value. He's 6 years younger than Hemsky/Grabovski. Another GM will be willing to give him a shot.

Besides, we simply can't afford to trade him until we have a replacement in hand. Belanger and Horcoff are as good as gone. RNH is iffy to start the season. We can't force our wingers to start the season with an entirely different group down the middle.

Edit: From the presser. MacT still optimistic about a long term deal, but there's a price point. Thinks he can be a part of the solution here going forward, and hopes to get him signed.

Last edited by s7ark: 06-25-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old
06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
hockeyaddict101

My opinion Gagner becomes the new Horcoff on these boards. There is no way in hell he gets anything less than 4.5 million.

On a long term deal as rumoured, closer to 5.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
That is way too much money, yikes. Gagner just isn't worth much more than 4m.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
My opinion Gagner becomes the new Horcoff on these boards. There is no way in hell he gets anything less than 4.5 million.

I think that's a very good possibility if we sign him for that kind of coin.

06-25-2013, 03:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I think that's a very good possibility if we sign him for that kind of coin.
You would only get him for the 4 range on a short term deal, not realistic on a longer term deal.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
You would only get him for the 4 range on a short term deal, not realistic on a longer term deal.
$4 million IMO is what he is worth based on what he does and doesn't bring to the table, not saying that he wouldn't get more as an UFA, just that that IMO is his worth to me. At $5 million per year on a long term deal I'd sooner deal him.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

i wouldnt sign him longer than 2-3 years especially based on a shortened season in a RFA year where he had something to prove. Just the UFA factor makes things stupid. Maybe even just a 1 year deal.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:34 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I'd rather trade Gagner and leave a gaping hole in the lineup then sign him for 5m.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:37 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I'd rather trade Gagner and leave a gaping hole in the lineup then sign him for 5m.
Are you a Reinhart or an Ekblad guy?

Old
06-25-2013, 03:40 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

I offer him an NTC and a 4 year 3.5 million AAC contract. Rather that than 4 years 4.75

Old
06-25-2013, 03:40 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Are you a Reinhart or an Ekblad guy?
hahaha

I'd rather just give Bozak that money then trade Gagners RFA rights. If I was the GM there's no way I'd give him 5m.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:41 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Yay, more tanking.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:45 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:

If he is holding out for 5mill per then he deserves to become the new Horcoff on these boards.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:45 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Gagner is our #1 centerman and I can only assume actually wants to play in Edmonton for the team that drafted him. By not signing him, MacT runs the risk of having another horrific upcoming season which could mean another difficult UFA and Resign period both this summer and next guaranteed.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
M Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
There's no way in hell we're going to find a better 2nd line center than Gagner. I'm happy to keep him.

He's played for us through a ton of brutal seasons without loosing his commitment to improving.

Nobody should have been shocked over what he accomplished last year. More like we should've been a little surprised that it took him that long to have a season like that. I think it would be fair to suggest that he was rushed into the NHL.

He was believed to have a very high level of potential when he was drafted. Now that he's fulfilling his potential we'd be nuts to not try to lock him up for 5+ years. I'd be so excited if we managed to sign him for 5M per year.
I am with you in this case. Our problem isn't 1st or 2nd line it is 3rd & 4th line players and to give up on Gagner who is developing well would leave a huge gap on the 2nd line.

Why not try to get a 2nd-3rd line PF Lw instead to play with Gagner, that would take the heat of him a bit for not being overly physicaly!

Closed Thread