Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

QMJHL minor Leagues

Old
06-24-2013, 02:15 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
QMJHL minor Leagues

Was just wondering besides QJAHL and MJAHL who else are the QMJHL minor leagues... Like WHL has bchl, ajhl, mjhl and sjhl or does the Q just have the 2?

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
Was just wondering besides QJAHL and MJAHL who else are the QMJHL minor leagues... Like WHL has bchl, ajhl, mjhl and sjhl or does the Q just have the 2?
Well, the LHJAAAQ and MHL are Junior AAA and Junior A leagues respectively (they're the same level). I don't know of any actual affiliations between teams though, so I don't know that I would consider them to be true minor leagues to the QMJHL...

But I can tell you that guys have come into the QMJHL from other Junior A and B leagues, if that's what you're asking. For instance, Derek Sheppard was a Pickering Panther/Aurora Tiger (OJHL), Claude Giroux was a Cumberland Grad (CCHL), and Paul Byron was an Ottawa West Golden Knight (EOJHL). The Olympiques have at least one prospect playing in the CCHL right now though (Stephen Baylis, Carleton Place).

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Sidekick

I think you are looking at the Canadian junior system slightly wrong. The Tier 2 Jr.A leagues (or just called "Jr.A" nowadays) are not minor/feeder leagues to the Major Junior leagues. Now, that's not to say players don't play Jr.A before playing Major Junior, but many former Major Junior players also finish their junior eligibility in Jr.A. Some Major Junior teams in the past used to have formal affiliations with Jr.A teams, and some still might but it is much more common now to have working relationships/gentleman's agreements/informal MOU's between the levels. A player who say gets drafted out of minor midget by a Major Junior team, and doesn't make the team in the 16-year old year will not necessarily play for the closest Jr.A team to the Major Junior team. Instead, they may play major midget, or Jr.A/Jr.B/Jr.C for a team closer to their home. Some Major Junior teams do recommend Jr.A teams for their prospects, but I don't think it's as formal as you think (e.g. Charlie Graham of the Belleville Bulls, played Jr.A for the Wellington Dukes (close to Belleville) instead of in his hometown of Toronto - but that could also be b/c of the Dukes lofty reputation). In the Maritimes, this gets more convoluted because eligible players are also subject to a draft at the Jr.A level as well (the CCHL, MJHL and maybe the Quebec league are the only others with a draft).

Since the leagues contain players of the same age, its better to look at them as sort of competing entities, in the same vein as the NHL and the KHL. Major Junior is the elite game, many players are moving onto the pros, and CHL markets usually are bigger than their Jr.A counterparts. But Jr.A hockey is highly underrated, especially out west, and several players play in these leagues to retain their NCAA eligibility and attempt to earn scholarships.

Sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:13 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

It's only really the QJAHL and the MJAHL.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM

In Quebec, from what I understand, players will play with either the Midget AAA or Midget Espoir team near their homes. From there, they will get drafted into the QMJHL and the Junior AAA (and lower levels).

Midget is typically 15-16-17 years old
Junior is typically 17-18-19-20 yeards old

From there, players will attend the highest level possible training camps of the teams that drafted them, up until they make the team.

Exemple player A plays for Chateauguay Midget AAA. He is drafted by St.Jerome Junior AAA and Victoriaville QMJHL. He fails to make Victoriaville so he will report to St.Jerome, or could go back to Chateauguay depending on his age. If he fails to make those teams, then he will go to the lower levels where he was also drafted.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote