HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Did Mike Comrie ask to be traded? TV Scandal

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Did Mike Comrie ask to be traded? TV Scandal

Remember the debate a week or so ago about how TSN and CFRN had clips of Comrie going into how he leaves the business side to Rich Winter and the question was..."Did you ask to be traded?"

Then Sportsnet and the Score play their clips with Comrie going "...no that sort of thing gets handled...."

So we all figure that CFRN has edited the "No" and they were trying to sensationalize the story.

Well, slats432 decides to follow up and contacts CFRN TV with a soapbox email about sensationalist TV slanting the story...News director forwards to the email to sports editor....sports editor phones slats432 and here is the "CFRN TAKE" of the situation.

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: "I know how it may have looked but here is the situation. We went and interviewed Mike earlier in the day. The question was asked of him if he ever had asked the Oilers for a trade. The clip we played was accurate and represented the situation. Mike at that time did not deny ever asking for a trade, he just deflected the question going right into the "My agent handles that stuff." spiel. Later in the same day in a different media scrum the question is asked (by Gene Principe) "Have you asked for a trade?" and the answer was "y'know...." The other stations did everything to try to discredit our story by making it look like Mike was denying having asked for a trade which, we have looked over all the tapes in great detail and never once has Mike outright denied asking for a trade. I know because we were in that 2nd media scrum as well. We stand by our story and also stand by the fact that we believe that he has again asked for a trade because of information from several sources. The Edmonton Sun(Robin Brownlee) also ran pieces that seemed to disagree with our point of view but as you can see recently as things move along that the Sun's writer is starting to see from the perspective of the story which we ran."

SLATS432: Do you know why he asked for a trade?

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: The pressure of playing in Edmonton, home town boy, a young guy, can't go out in public and have anything close to a normal life is my best guess.(PARAPHRASE: I don't know for sure.)

SLATS432: So he can't go to the bar or anything...well he could go to Detroit or somewhere and be unnoticed.

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: He could go anywhere.

SLATS432: I do remember the clip of Rich Winter saying that they had some 'non monetary issues to deal with'. Did you see that clip?

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: I sure did. And that fuels the speculation that he is done here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The CFRN guy is very professional, knew his stuff and is well versed. I believe him.

Old
09-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Remember the debate a week or so ago about how TSN and CFRN had clips of Comrie going into how he leaves the business side to Rich Winter and the question was..."Did you ask to be traded?"

Then Sportsnet and the Score play their clips with Comrie going "...no that sort of thing gets handled...."

So we all figure that CFRN has edited the "No" and they were trying to sensationalize the story.

Well, slats432 decides to follow up and contacts CFRN TV with a soapbox email about sensationalist TV slanting the story...News director forwards to the email to sports editor....sports editor phones slats432 and here is the "CFRN TAKE" of the situation.

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: "I know how it may have looked but here is the situation. We went and interviewed Mike earlier in the day. The question was asked of him if he ever had asked the Oilers for a trade. The clip we played was accurate and represented the situation. Mike at that time did not deny ever asking for a trade, he just deflected the question going right into the "My agent handles that stuff." spiel. Later in the same day in a different media scrum the question is asked (by Gene Principe) "Have you asked for a trade?" and the answer was "y'know...." The other stations did everything to try to discredit our story by making it look like Mike was denying having asked for a trade which, we have looked over all the tapes in great detail and never once has Mike outright denied asking for a trade. I know because we were in that 2nd media scrum as well. We stand by our story and also stand by the fact that we believe that he has again asked for a trade because of information from several sources. The Edmonton Sun(Robin Brownlee) also ran pieces that seemed to disagree with our point of view but as you can see recently as things move along that the Sun's writer is starting to see from the perspective of the story which we ran."

SLATS432: Do you know why he asked for a trade?

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: The pressure of playing in Edmonton, home town boy, a young guy, can't go out in public and have anything close to a normal life is my best guess.(PARAPHRASE: I don't know for sure.)

SLATS432: So he can't go to the bar or anything...well he could go to Detroit or somewhere and be unnoticed.

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: He could go anywhere.

SLATS432: I do remember the clip of Rich Winter saying that they had some 'non monetary issues to deal with'. Did you see that clip?

CFRN SPORTS DIRECTOR: I sure did. And that fuels the speculation that he is done here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The CFRN guy is very professional, knew his stuff and is well versed. I believe him.
*** good post slats...Yeah, I kinda convinced he's done...In all honesty, I not pissed at him or anything...It's the Oilers 25th season, I just want it to be done...You look at teams like Vcr and Cgy..It's all hands on deck...I also want them to trade him for something good...I know, easier said than done...The next few days will be pretty interesting...

Good job again...

Old
09-26-2003, 10:31 AM
barto

Hmmm.... Well, I'm impressed that the guy would actually call you to discuss it, first of all. Interesting to hear his take on it! Thanks for sharing that, Slats...

Bart

Old
09-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

I believe it too. When I saw the Sportsnet report, I noticed that the camera wasn't on Comrie when he said "No". You just "heard" Principe ask Comrie if he's ever ask for a trade, and then "heard" Comrie's response.

As an Audio Engineer, I can tell you that anyone with half-decent production skills can edit out the beginning of "y'know" to make it sound like "no". Of course, editing video in the same manner is not possible - That's why it always seemed funny to me.

IF it indeed is true, someone at Sportsnet should be making his/her way to the unemployment office immediately.

Old
09-26-2003, 10:47 AM
stevesoilerssite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
As an Audio Engineer, I can tell you that anyone with half-decent production skills can edit out the beginning of "y'know" to make it sound like "no". Of course, editing video in the same manner is not possible - That's why it always seemed funny to me.
Well, the Sun also reported Comrie answered "no" when asked directly about whether he'd asked to be traded.

Link: http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030910/nhl_edm2-sun.html

Whatever was said then, the fact that he hasn't come forward and said he wants to remain an Oiler speaks volumes to me.

Old
09-26-2003, 11:34 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Thanks slats432. Information like this takes this board to a higher level. I don't know whether to be sad, angry or relieved. I really felt that we had a core forming here all at a young enough age with high enough skills to be on the road to contending and MC was part of that group in my opinion. Now we have lost a major peice of the puzzle and it is sooo hard to get equal value on high end players as we in this town are well aware.

Old
09-26-2003, 11:59 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Thanks, Slats! I guess things are slowly becoming clearer... and while I'm sorry that Comrie looks to be done as an Oiler, I'm actually not really worried about the situation. I'm fairly confident in Lowe to handle this.

Old
09-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Slats432

I couldn't keep that kind of scoop, and Cerebus, the CFRN Sports Director mentioned that(basically grouping Brownlee in with the other media trying to discredit the CFRN scoop.).

The Sun agreeing with the TV media is a non issue.(No other sports guy wanted to get scooped.)

Because we chatted for about 10 minutes, there was nothing he said that didn't seem to make things add up.

He also didn't seem definitive that Comrie was done, but he leans the same way that all of us do.

Old
09-26-2003, 12:38 PM
IceDragoon

Thanx for your diligent work slats432.

It seems to me that Winter and Klo could put a spin on this kind of info

Quote:
The pressure of playing in Edmonton, home town boy, a young guy, can't go out in public and have anything close to a normal life...
to bolster Comrie's trade value, if they wanted.

Closed Thread