HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Dexter

Old
09-24-2013, 10:24 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
What I don't understand is the amount of comments that are along the lines of "Crappy ending for a crappy show"...if it was so crappy why are you watching it?

If you felt it was "terrible since season 4" then why did you/they watch it since? Doesn't make sense. For instance, I started Homeland and The Newsroom, I didn't really get hooked on either one so I quit watching and I don't intend on watching their Series Finale episodes.
Because when you've invested that much time in such a show you tend to want to see it through to the end.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:30 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
This stance is so old and redundant. Well if you invest 4 seasons in something you kind of want to see where it ends up. Season 4 was great but mainly due to the performance of John Lithgow. There was always plot holes and bad acting but I still enjoyed it.

After Season 4 it jut got worse. You would occasionally catch a good episode of Dexter but the writing went down hill. They were just throwing **** at the wall at this point. It was a culmination of suck. Pretty much everyone wanted to see Dexter on the run at some point, problem was there was no one worthy was left to chase him and his final adversary was a joke.

It was a chore to watch Dexter the majority of the past three seasons. Major disappointment. I watched this season out of morbid curiosity, like stopping for a car wreck.
My old roommate and my younger brother both stopped watching The Office after Steve Carrell left, it's not difficult.

So, sorry but I disagree with you, I don't feel that the "stance is so old and redundant"...no one is forcing anyone to watch the show. If you felt that it was getting worse after season 4 then simply stop watching, you act like just because you'd already watched 4 seasons that you have to finish. To me it just doesn't make sense to watch something you're not enjoying.

While I agree that the seasons following season 4 never matched it, I wouldn't say they were necessarily "worse". I actually thought season 5 was really good, just had the misfortune of following season 4.

But it still doesn't change the fact that people don't have to watch it, especially those who didn't even like the show and just watched it out of, as you put it, "morbid curiosity" and then start insulting it...especially since this season garnered some of the highest ratings in both the Franchise AND Showtime's history, in fact the Series Finale was the most watched episode in Showtime's entire history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Because when you've invested that much time in such a show you tend to want to see it through to the end.
Sure, if you enjoy the show, but there are a lot of people who haven't enjoyed a single season (their words, not just here but people I know personally) since Season 4, and yet they forced themselves for 4 years to watch a show they didn't enjoy? And on top of that, in most cases, have to pay extra to get Showtime?

And if you/they hadn't been enjoying it, of course they're not going to like how it ends, it's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:36 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
The office is not something you have to see through. It wasnt a story like dexter.

I stopped watching as well cause it didn't matter how it ended. Dexter and other shows like that are built FOR the end.
I never compared the two shows, just simply used a real-life example of two people I know who stopped watching a show because they simply no longer enjoyed it, and neither watched the series finale because they figured they wouldn't like it/not understand some things because they hadn't watched it for a while.

***EDIT***

But it's no big deal, I'm just voicing my opinion

Last edited by RockLobster: 09-24-2013 at 10:44 PM.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:16 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Just saw the ending I was at work the last 2 weeks. But I could atleast be ok with it until Dexter ended up in the Lumber Camp. The last scene I understood it but I really did not like it.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 06:22 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Meh, if you dump on your show/film, you might not get another one.
Well i wouldn't say they would flat out say they thought it was a terrible way to end it but they could always mislead the question with "I might have done it slightly different" etc

I don't think the lead cast would have problems finding a job anyway. Someone like Batista or Quinn on the other hand

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:01 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Well i wouldn't say they would flat out say they thought it was a terrible way to end it but they could always mislead the question with "I might have done it slightly different" etc

I don't think the lead cast would have problems finding a job anyway. Someone like Batista or Quinn on the other hand
Quinn was in The Dark Knight Rises and Batista was in The Expendables!

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Blitzkrug
BRRRRCRAPPLEDOUGH

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post

Lolz.

I hope Jennifer Carpenter pops up again in the near future, chick can actually act.

I'm sure Michael C. Hall will pop up again in the future also, although if i recall he wanted to do Broadway or somethin'

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:37 AM
fcpremix88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
What I don't understand is the amount of comments that are along the lines of "Crappy ending for a crappy show"...if it was so crappy why are you watching it?

If you felt it was "terrible since season 4" then why did you/they watch it since? Doesn't make sense. For instance, I started Homeland and The Newsroom, I didn't really get hooked on either one so I quit watching and I don't intend on watching their Series Finale episodes.
I watch Dexter with my dad, and it's easily his favorite show. I probably would have stopped watching after season two or five without him. The things we do for love...

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 04:20 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 1008

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:02 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Wow. That's hilarious and terrible at the same time.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Kitten Mittons

Actually I'm pretty surprised it was that high after season 4.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Harbinger
Oppose and Disagree

So what ever happened with Masuka's daughter?

Harbinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Actually I'm pretty surprised it was that high after season 4.
The Rita dying episode was amazing. Trinity was probably the best season long villain. I think its deserved.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 06:21 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2584
I would have had Dexter dying at the hands of another mass murderer

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
The Rita dying episode was amazing. Trinity was probably the best season long villain. I think its deserved.
He said after season 4.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:18 PM
JMcLeaf
Culture change

vCash: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Stay tuned for the spin-off!

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Died from weed overdose

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:41 PM
JoeGarelli

the writers were suffering from a weed overdose

JoeGarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:54 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Exactly. I have watched Dexter since it began. Not online, on Netflix or onDemand. From the beginning.

After the fifth season I started thinking it sucked, and after the ending I was glad it was over. It should have ended a season after Rita was killed. Rita's death was the best season ending it had, and it just couldn't live up to that for another four seasons.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGarelli View Post
the writers were suffering from a weed overdose
Then the show would have been way more entertaining.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:53 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Exactly. I have watched Dexter since it began. Not online, on Netflix or onDemand. From the beginning.

After the fifth season I started thinking it sucked, and after the ending I was glad it was over. It should have ended a season after Rita was killed. Rita's death was the best season ending it had, and it just couldn't live up to that for another four seasons.
The show died with Rita. Not because they killed Rita; that still could have been used in awesome ways. But nothing was as good after that.

Why didn't anyone ever notice the ridiculously large number of people who were known to have encountered dexter and then died? There were a lot!

And while we're at it... no mention in the article about Harrison? Like "Mr. Morgan had a five year old son named Harrison. His whereabouts are currently unknown..." Bautista didn't seem to even think about it when he got the call.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
And while we're at it... no mention in the article about Harrison? Like "Mr. Morgan had a five year old son named Harrison. His whereabouts are currently unknown..." Bautista didn't seem to even think about it when he got the call.
Because Harrison has family that would look after him

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
Because Harrison has family that would look after him
Even stil lwouldnt the family members be contacted in this case? Just lazy writing all the way through. Really sad since it was a great show. Wish Doakes didnt die so soon and wished Laguerta died much sooner.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 05:12 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Even stil lwouldnt the family members be contacted in this case? Just lazy writing all the way through. Really sad since it was a great show. Wish Doakes didnt die so soon and wished Laguerta died much sooner.
I'd say it was great for less than half of its series running length. Overall I'd call it a whole lot of "meh" bordering on mediocre with a few flashes of genius.

Last edited by invictus: 09-30-2013 at 05:27 PM.
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote