HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
04-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Chip39

vCash: 500
Got my brand new covert caught in the boards and broke it. Best 160 bucks I've ever spent.

Chip39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip39 View Post
Got my brand new covert caught in the boards and broke it. Best 160 bucks I've ever spent.
Most composites have a 30 day warranty. https://www.warrior.com/Canada-Retur...efault,pg.html

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Welp, i decided not to fight a guy at stick and puck.....seriously. Received a nice cut on my neck where he crosschecked me with his stick and a concussion thats just killing me right now from when on my knees after the crosscheck he jumped on my back and began punching me in the head with both gloves on.

I attempted to play the other night and was pretty nauseous and exhausted after. Just paid for two teams in beer league and now will likely have to miss several games.

Good job Stick and Puck tough guys.

Danko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 02:18 PM
damack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Danko View Post
Welp, i decided not to fight a guy at stick and puck.....seriously. Received a nice cut on my neck where he crosschecked me with his stick and a concussion thats just killing me right now from when on my knees after the crosscheck he jumped on my back and began punching me in the head with both gloves on.

I attempted to play the other night and was pretty nauseous and exhausted after. Just paid for two teams in beer league and now will likely have to miss several games.

Good job Stick and Puck tough guys.
there has to be more to this story...

damack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Hambone15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
Figured this was a good spot to put this.

I play goaltender in what I would call a pretty competitive beer league. Anyway this last weekend I was in a game and had bit of a situation with the referee from that game. First let me say this league encourages a ref to explain what he saw to an upset player to try and diffuse the situation. Anyway we are in the 3rd period and my team is up by 1 when a shot goes through my body and begins to trickle in. Feeling that I didn't have it I spun and grabbed the puck as it was "ON" the goal line. The referee who has out of position (he was up by the half boards) called it a good goal. So I skated up to him trying to stay calm and said, "Ref I got that on the goal line, it never crossed." He told me to back off and threatened me with an unsportsmanlike penalty. Shaking my head I skated away and saying, "Unbelieveable."

A couple of minutes later an opposing player makes a move towards the net and crashes into me. No call. As the player is getting up from the collision I reach for my stick (which was lost in the collision) and the player steps on nearly falling. Suddenly the whistle blows and I get called for tripping. At first I didn't even now the call was on me until the ref came by and pointed at me. I look at him and say, "you have got to me kidding me," and boom I am hit with an unsportsmanlike minor and told if I say another word I would be kicked out of the game. The other team proceeds to score on the 4 minute PP and we lose by that one goal.

Now this was a couple of days ago and since I have talked to several players from several teams that say this ref is always like this. Never explains his calls (even though it is encouraged by the league) and if questioned with hold a vendetta against you for the rest of the game. We have discussed filing a formal complaint against the ref but everyone is worried that he won't be fired for it and then use it against us future games. So should I just let it go?
This reminds me of something that happened to me last summer season. I played on a team with a buddy and one of his friends. His friend is "that guy" every team has, thinks he skates/scores like Crosby, fights like Lucic etc. When in reality he's slow as molasses, he finishes the season with 2 points and like 190 PIM's / 5 game fighting suspensions without ever actually throwing a real punch.

Anyway, he was starting stuff with another player, they both got thrown in the box, then they were yelling at each other from the boxes. The refs trying to shut them up so he can drop the puck. Since we're right by the box my buddies friend is in, I say "[Name] Shut up before you get thrown out" - Next thing I hear is "10, get in the box!" So now I'm like what the **** just happened looking at the ref with a blank expression on my face. Everyones still yellin at each other etc but I finally get the refs attention and said "Why am I in the box? I just told #9 on my team to shut up" his response? "Don't worry about it." I was baffled. I never saw the gamesheet so i still don't know what it was for, but I assume he thought I was telling him to shut up I guess. Still, what an idiot.

My next season starts Monday, can't wait to see what kinda BS happens this year lol

Hambone15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 12:16 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Last night I played defense because we were short on forwards. The opposing forward is trying to forecheck me breaking out of our defensive zone. I did the good old slow down and change directions deke and skate to the right of him at full speed right. You change the pace of your move and get by a player. I got by and him and as I got by him he stuck his leg into my knee and tripped me up. He called me a p**sy. I got up skated the puck and passed it to the forward breaking out. He got a open shot and goalie made the save. I asked the ref why didn't you call him using his leg to take out my knee. The ref says its 11:30 at night I want to go home. Seriously? The guy could have blown out my knee and that is your response.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Had a goal against last night that was shot in after the whistle, but the ref still counted it. We ended up losing by one goal.

Ref was also tossing pucks at either me or the opposing center instead of dropping it. I know it's just beer league but you're being paid to ref and we paid to be there. One of my friends knows this ref and he was fired from other rinks for doing a poor job.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:23 PM
aguynamedjoe

Sold my tickets to last night's 'hawks game so I could play in a new league I was going to start in. The rink's 1.25 hours away, so I leave 2 hrs before gametime to leave room for traffic and time to dress. Get a call an hour before gametime (after I've been on the road for an hour) saying the other team doesn't have enough players and the game is cancelled. So not only did I not get to go to the game, I had to listen to period 2 on the way to the rink and period 3 on my way home on the car radio. I think I'm going to look for another league.

aguynamedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedjoe View Post
Sold my tickets to last night's 'hawks game so I could play in a new league I was going to start in. The rink's 1.25 hours away, so I leave 2 hrs before gametime to leave room for traffic and time to dress. Get a call an hour before gametime (after I've been on the road for an hour) saying the other team doesn't have enough players and the game is cancelled. So not only did I not get to go to the game, I had to listen to period 2 on the way to the rink and period 3 on my way home on the car radio. I think I'm going to look for another league.
Just curious, what league are you in? I play in two leagues in the chicago area.

Old
04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
aguynamedjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
Just curious, what league are you in? I play in two leagues in the chicago area.
Last night was in Dyer/Midwest Ice. A buddy from work is trying to talk me into a summer HNA league that plays at a few rinks, hopefully that'll happen. I'm *just* getting back into hockey, so I don't know a whole lot of people or how competitive any of the area leagues are to really try getting into them. I'd absolutely be at the lowest level any of them would have to offer (so if you know of any adult leagues you'd recommend for someone that's athletic - but still getting his skates under him after ~ 15 years away from the ponds, I'm all ears!)

aguynamedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 03:28 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedjoe View Post
Last night was in Dyer/Midwest Ice. A buddy from work is trying to talk me into a summer HNA league that plays at a few rinks, hopefully that'll happen. I'm *just* getting back into hockey, so I don't know a whole lot of people or how competitive any of the area leagues are to really try getting into them. I'd absolutely be at the lowest level any of them would have to offer (so if you know of any adult leagues you'd recommend for someone that's athletic - but still getting his skates under him after ~ 15 years away from the ponds, I'm all ears!)
One of the leagues I'm in is the novice level league at American Heartland in Lincolnwood. Season just started so it may be possible to join still. I'm also playing at the bottom level at McFetridge in Chicago which is faster and more competitive than the novice one at American Heartland. It has a good mix of skill.

Old
04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I feel like a ref with a terrible drop is just disrespectful. I learned how to drop the puck flat and at the same pace pretty much every time within a week of starting.

Guys who just throw the puck either don't give a ****, the more likely situation. Or they're afraid of sticks. Which usually means they're pretty bad overall.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Maccas

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
I feel like a ref with a terrible drop is just disrespectful. I learned how to drop the puck flat and at the same pace pretty much every time within a week of starting.

Guys who just throw the puck either don't give a ****, the more likely situation. Or they're afraid of sticks. Which usually means they're pretty bad overall.
I played a game a little while back where I went about 1 for 8 on Faceoffs due to the ref throwing it down and it bouncing all over the place. At one point I'm pretty sure it made it's way out to the wingers without either centre touching it.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post

It isn't a matter of being afraid of the sticks. You know that hockey players can be careless. I go through 2-3 visors a year, smashed fingers, slashes to the skates every night.

Personally, I take care and attention every drop, but I can see why some guys don't(Not to say there aren't crappy refs, because I know there are).

The worst are the guys that choke right up and leave a foot of butt end out. Very dangerous.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Trl3789

Played in a tournament this weekend, and our team is made up of high E - low D level players (leagues go from A all the way down to 5E). We were in the advanced beginners division, which we expected to be about right when you look at the descriptions for what level everyone should play.

Well apparently we didnt get the memo that everyone plays way down levels compared to their skill, and we got destroyed all 3 games. We were in so far over our heads. There were guys who played ECHL hockey this season in the intermediate division right above ours. Frustrating that getting a 2$ trophy is more important than playing competitive hockey.

One of the Dman this morning ran our F into his own goalie pretty hard and got tossed. On the way to the bench he was complaining that our guy should have stayed on his feet. Direct quote from the ref was "This is NON-checking hockey at the BEGINNER level"

Frustrated.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 12:33 AM
CanucksSayEh

Not venting, but spring league is starting, and im stoked. Just wanted to say that officially somewhere.

mod edit.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 04-29-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: unnecessary symbols.
CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:32 AM
theMajor

cant buy a ****in goal this season.i went up a division last year but my team disbanded, so now im in a lower division and i just cant score. 5 games in and i have one assist. ive had goals called off due to inference, hit the post 4 times, bad bounces, goalies have made huge saves...just cant bury one. its killin me

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

To start I cut my stick an inch short so that was hard to get adjusted too. Anyways my team is up 5-1. We are on a penalty kill for when a guy literally fell on his own trying to around a guy. The ref called a tripping call. It gets worse. So they are on a PP and the forward tries to dump in in the corner my teams defensive zone. I beat him to the puck and clear the puck out. As I clear the puck out he skates into my back and falls. His helmet falls off due to his chin strap no be tight. The ref calls me. When he is on the ground he bear hugs my legs and tries to pull me down as a skate away. The ref calls a penalty on me for body checking. I politely asked the ref " how did I get a body checking when I had the puck and he ran into me and fell because he can't skate." The ref said I didn't see the play I just saw him on the ground and his helmet on the ground I assumed you checked him... What do you about refs like this? There was no point in arguing with this moron he doesn't even know what happened, but calls a phantom penalty.

Old
05-06-2014, 11:59 AM
GoldenBearHockey

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
To start I cut my stick an inch short so that was hard to get adjusted too. Anyways my team is up 5-1. We are on a penalty kill for when a guy literally fell on his own trying to around a guy. The ref called a tripping call. It gets worse. So they are on a PP and the forward tries to dump in in the corner my teams defensive zone. I beat him to the puck and clear the puck out. As I clear the puck out he skates into my back and falls. His helmet falls off due to his chin strap no be tight. The ref calls me. When he is on the ground he bear hugs my legs and tries to pull me down as a skate away. The ref calls a penalty on me for body checking. I politely asked the ref " how did I get a body checking when I had the puck and he ran into me and fell because he can't skate." The ref said I didn't see the play I just saw him on the ground and his helmet on the ground I assumed you checked him... What do you about refs like this? There was no point in arguing with this moron he doesn't even know what happened, but calls a phantom penalty.
Take the two minutes and move on, talk to the league about it, let them note it down, once they get enough complaints something could be done, if you start to go after him, you won't last the game and it paints you as a whiner etc.

GoldenBearHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:13 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

The league manager doesn't care. HE just says most of the refs are terrible. I don't provide and assign the refs the head ref assigns them. I just want to show up and have fun. I get not all refs are perfect, but this ref has been calling horrible calls all year . Last time we had him we were on the PK and cleared the puck. HE called an icing when the puck was in the other teams end. The captain was like the face off should be in the opposing teams end you messed up, and he said no it is in yours. The other ref stepped in and tried to make him drop the puck in the center ice, and he said this isn't up for discussion I made a bad call but the drop is in my teams end who cleared the puck on a PK. This rink is one of the premier adult leagues in the US it claims, but some of the refs don't know hockey.
I think he just saw a helmet on the ground and didn't want to the game to get out of hand.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Pacifist Goon

Nothing worse than a referee who calls on their assumptions, right fifty percent of the time, wrong the other fifty. Unless someone has blood pumping out of their face, they just can't know or have much idea.

I'm pretty happy with our refereeing, because I sail a bit closer to the wind than most, but am careful not to clean anyone up, loosen their fillings or hurt anyone; and I think the refs get that so I'm not getting called for stuff the opposition are screaming about. It annoys the other team, but no one's getting hurt and hockey's not tiddlywinks.

Conversely, I got hauled down from behind blatantly in front of the opposition net on the weekend and no call, but no complaint from me either. They shouldn't call anything like that unless they just can't not call it because it impacts the outcome or is a safety issue.

Anyone boasting in the office during the week about being a hockey player and then complaining to me about a little push or bump when on the ice can 'go and take up miniature golf instead'. Most seem to get it after a pause for thought.

'Hey what league do you think you're playing in buddy'?
'Well it's not the women's knitting league bud. Are you lost'?

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:10 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

I like to skate hard and don't mind physicality at all. I just don't think there should be any cheap shots or dirty hits in beer league. I think the ref have a hard job at times judging what is hockey and what is considering too rough for beer league. Some guys go out chirp and try to intimidate people like it is Game 7 and it is comical. Especially when most of them cannot even skate.

Old
05-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Pacifist Goon

It's always good fun to match up against else someone that want's a little rough and tumble too. No fun in muscling around someone half your size or who doesn't skate too well. That said, if someone wants to buzz around you constantly like like an angry little mosquito they ought to expect and be prepared for a little bit of a swat.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Ozz

Lost 2 games last night; awful show of a passing game. One sub we had just about refused to pass, even on a couple 3 on 1 rushes. That wouldn't be the end of the world if he put decent shots on net or walked it in, but he goes wide and rips it into the glass and of course delivers an out-of-zone rush to the opposing team. Infuriating!

The good news is that as bad as we felt we played, each was just a 1-goal game. Had everyone on my team had their head out of their ***** we could have whooped on both opponents.

I'd been stuck back on D so I wasn't part of many scoring chances, and this team brought me in originally to lead the charge and I've never not led in points/goals. I'm moving back to F for the next game and that alone should help, though I hope my replacement on D doesn't make it easier for pucks to get into our own net.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:50 PM
flomarilius

Lost 9-1 tonight after getting creamed 8-3 the week before. Don't you guys just love playing beginner leagues when you're outmanned 6-10?

flomarilius is offline   Reply With Quote