HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
06-09-2014, 06:16 PM
quackquackquack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
The one that get me is when ringers play center in lower level leagues and just absolutely give-er even when the score starts to get out of control.

Even though we aren't the best, we still don't like being embarassed.

Start your ringers as D please
Yeah not really a good idea...just had my first game on Saturday (in 13 years mind you) in a Novice roller league and myself and like 3 others who are horrendous skaters were stuck on D a bunch of times and it was disastrous. Definitely want to have a pretty good skater back there.

quackquackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:25 PM
AD1066
HFBoards Sponsor

Well I had some guy try to concuss me recently, and that was nice.

My town's police and fire departments have a casual pickup game every week (anyone can come) and I was invited to attend by an acquaintance. The skill level isn't all that high, and most of the players range from only a few years experience to having played house league or high school in their younger days.

I was on the more experienced end of the spectrum so I spent most of the game just looking for the open man and trying to set up some of these guys. Didn't really push the pace at all or take more than two or three shots on net over an hour and a half of play.

Overall it would've been a fun time. Except for Mr. Try Hard.

For whatever reason this guy was taking the game way too seriously, making end to end rushes, blasting slapshots into traffic, and firing lasers at the goalie with only a year or two of experience. He might've played low level Juniors when he was younger and was the best player on the ice.

I can move pretty well and disrupted a few of his rushes and stripped him of the puck a few times, which he took exception to. Later I scored a pretty routine goal on a 3-on-1 and he called me a punk and threatened me, which is pretty ironic considering the way he had been playing the entire time.

Finally a few minutes later I made the mistake of getting in a footrace with him for a loose puck. He waited until I leaned forward with one hand on the stick, and then cut across my path with his elbow up. I got chicken-winged in the head and by the time I had opened my eyes and gotten to my knees, he had skated off the ice. I cut the inside of my lip and was dizzy for about 20 minutes, not to mention a stiff neck and back the next day.

From what I gather he's an ex-cop and no longer works in the department. I haven't been back to those skates since, but from the sound of it he was chewed out by the other guys and hasn't returned. Still I just don't understand people like this, we've all got jobs to go to and there's no sense in trying to injure someone during a friendly skate.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:27 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
Well I had some guy try to concuss me recently, and that was nice.

My town's police and fire departments have a casual pickup game every week (anyone can come) and I was invited to attend by an acquaintance. The skill level isn't all that high, and most of the players range from only a few years experience to having played house league or high school in their younger days.

I was on the more experienced end of the spectrum so I spent most of the game just looking for the open man and trying to set up some of these guys. Didn't really push the pace at all or take more than two or three shots on net over an hour and a half of play.

Overall it would've been a fun time. Except for Mr. Try Hard.

For whatever reason this guy was taking the game way too seriously, making end to end rushes, blasting slapshots into traffic, and firing lasers at the goalie with only a year or two of experience. He might've played low level Juniors when he was younger and was the best player on the ice.

I can move pretty well and disrupted a few of his rushes and stripped him of the puck a few times, which he took exception to. Later I scored a pretty routine goal on a 3-on-1 and he called me a punk and threatened me, which is pretty ironic considering the way he had been playing the entire time.

Finally a few minutes later I made the mistake of getting in a footrace with him for a loose puck. He waited until I leaned forward with one hand on the stick, and then cut across my path with his elbow up. I got chicken-winged in the head and by the time I had opened my eyes and gotten to my knees, he had skated off the ice. I cut the inside of my lip and was dizzy for about 20 minutes, not to mention a stiff neck and back the next day.

From what I gather he's an ex-cop and no longer works in the department. I haven't been back to those skates since, but from the sound of it he was chewed out by the other guys and hasn't returned. Still I just don't understand people like this, we've all got jobs to go to and there's no sense in trying to injure someone during a friendly skate.
Meatheads. All stems from insecurity

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:28 PM
AD1066
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Meatheads. All stems from insecurity
Some of them are the nicest guys in the world, but I figure any sort of police or fire department is going to attract some of the more macho, alpha male types.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 08:39 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Some of them are the nicest guys in the world, but I figure any sort of police or fire department is going to attract some of the more macho, alpha male types.
Most people are nice in casual public meetings unless they're in a bad mood.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 09:26 PM
IDuck

Quote:
this is very true. but the good thing is that they (as a whole) did the right thing and lit that guy up and barred him. same would happen in any leauge i have ever played in.

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 02:21 AM
ju87

Ok, I gotta rant...

I played last nite in goal in the Novice Division of our league. The team we were up against were mainly comprised of ringers playing a level down. For summer our format is 2x 20min periods.

Late in the 2nd, the score was already 0-9. Needless to say, our team was hopelessly outmatched - SOG were 3 for and 40 against. I felt like Lundqvist in the 3rd period of game 4 of the finals, but needless to say, I'm no Lundqvist. The most aggravating thing was that the players on the other team would showboat after scoring when the game was a straight-up beatdown.

So in comes one of the opposing players on the 543rd breakaway of the game. He goes stick side trying to dangle but ends up running me and putting an elbow or shoulder into my head while I was down in the butterfly, knocking my helmet sideways. No call. At this point, I just had enough. I made the save and the puck went into the corner with the attacking player going to retrieve it. I skated straight into the corner and laid a hit on the player. I got called for roughing, which was fair enough.

Just to add insult to injury, our incompetent ref tries to throw me in the box. Apparently he didn't know that goalies don't serve their own penalties. I was really heated at this point and I asked him whether he had seen the attacking player run me and hit me in the head. Incredibly, he said he didn't see it. The guy was on a breakaway, what else could the ref have been looking at ?!?!

I feel much better now after ranting.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 05:37 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Recently played a game where when I would forecheck into the offensive zone, one of my opponent's defensive pairings would set a pick or straight out block like they were a fullback blocking ahead of the running back for the 49ers.

The defenseman bringing up the puck would skate about 8-10 feet behind the other defenseman, who would put their stick and arms up to try and block me from getting to the puck carrier, all the way from behind their own net to their blueline, when the d-man with the puck would dump it down the ice (icing in our level is from behind your own blueline).

After the third time this happened, I finally went up to the ref and asked if interference is allowed in our division?

We were winning, so I didn't make a federal case out of it with the ref, but after the game other players on my opponent came up to me and said they asked them to stop doing that because they know its a penalty. When the refs start calling it, they will stop, hopefully. Never saw that in a hockey game before, and not get called.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 11:52 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Recently played a game where when I would forecheck into the offensive zone, one of my opponent's defensive pairings would set a pick or straight out block like they were a fullback blocking ahead of the running back for the 49ers.

The defenseman bringing up the puck would skate about 8-10 feet behind the other defenseman, who would put their stick and arms up to try and block me from getting to the puck carrier, all the way from behind their own net to their blueline, when the d-man with the puck would dump it down the ice (icing in our level is from behind your own blueline).

After the third time this happened, I finally went up to the ref and asked if interference is allowed in our division?

We were winning, so I didn't make a federal case out of it with the ref, but after the game other players on my opponent came up to me and said they asked them to stop doing that because they know its a penalty. When the refs start calling it, they will stop, hopefully. Never saw that in a hockey game before, and not get called.
People in beer leagues tend to tow the line and see what they can get away with. Most refs don't want to get into an issue with players so they don't call a lot, and people tend to take advantage if they are able.

My last game had one of our players literally haul a guy down twice to see if he would get called.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 02:06 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
People in beer leagues tend to tow the line and see what they can get away with. Most refs don't want to get into an issue with players so they don't call a lot, and people tend to take advantage if they are able.

My last game had one of our players literally haul a guy down twice to see if he would get called.
I definitely have noticed this. I've even exploited it a bit to be completely honest.

Short of hurting an opposing player(which I would never do), if I can get away with something that has a positive outcome for my team or myself- why not? If I know the ref isn't going to call it, its fair game. The flip side is, its also fair game for the other team too. So you have to know which side of that line to stay on.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Mattb124

About 2 1/2 weeks ago some delta bravo pushed me from behind into the boards as I was skating to pick a loose puck and I got a grade 2 shoulder separation as a result. The guy had no play on the puck, so he pushed me from behind so I wouldn't either. I am going to miss 2 months of hockey and the medical bills will be close to $3,000 - and he got a minor. Very frustrating.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:03 AM
OpenIceHit42

Had a guy Sunday night (bigger dude around 6’2-270ish) at a pick up skate ripping slap shots from just about everywhere. Damn near gave me a new ear hole on one. No one cares if you have a cannon, you don’t have to let it fly from center ice every time you get the puck.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Islespuck89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I definitely have noticed this. I've even exploited it a bit to be completely honest.

Short of hurting an opposing player(which I would never do), if I can get away with something that has a positive outcome for my team or myself- why not? If I know the ref isn't going to call it, its fair game. The flip side is, its also fair game for the other team too. So you have to know which side of that line to stay on.
I do the same thing. I have thrown, pushed pucks and kicked pucks in the net in traffic cause I know the refs will miss it most of the time. I have even on 2 occasions intentionally threw the net off! One time I was tossed out of the game for it, It was worth it up 4-3 they had a 6 on 3 w/ 25 seconds left in a playoff game.

BUT

Doing something to benefit your team that can injury some one is 110% unacceptable. I find there is always that one guy that is miserable in life that uses the rink to take out all his frustrations.

Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:13 PM
althoma1

Hmmm....I don't know where you're playing, but hockey Canada rules call for a penalty shot if the net is intentionally knocked off in the last 2 minutes of the game. I don't know the rules of your league, but if the other team was supposed to get a penalty shot you really lucked out.

althoma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:06 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by althoma1 View Post
Hmmm....I don't know where you're playing, but hockey Canada rules call for a penalty shot if the net is intentionally knocked off in the last 2 minutes of the game. I don't know the rules of your league, but if the other team was supposed to get a penalty shot you really lucked out.
I believe the point of the post was about things you know you can get away with, or have gotten away that refs sometimes miss or don't call. While it may indeed a penalty, it might not be seen or even called most of the time.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 08:44 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

********* in my beer league yesterday kicked our dman skates first in the stomach, all because he got hooked down on a rush. Nothing dirty, just a routine hook to stop a scoring chance. Looks like he might get a lengthy suspension, due to the fact that he did something very similar against us when we knocked them out of the playoffs last season.

In all my years playing hockey, I've never seen someone intentionally try and use their skate blade to injure someone. Then, this ****** comes along and does it twice in the span of 4 games (we're 3 games into the new season).

I seriously don't understand people sometimes. Everyone has to go to work the next day, and there are plenty of dirty things you can do to get your point across without injuring someone.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
********* in my beer league yesterday kicked our dman skates first in the stomach, all because he got hooked down on a rush. Nothing dirty, just a routine hook to stop a scoring chance. Looks like he might get a lengthy suspension, due to the fact that he did something very similar against us when we knocked them out of the playoffs last season.

In all my years playing hockey, I've never seen someone intentionally try and use their skate blade to injure someone. Then, this ****** comes along and does it twice in the span of 4 games (we're 3 games into the new season).

I seriously don't understand people sometimes. Everyone has to go to work the next day, and there are plenty of dirty things you can do to get your point across without injuring someone.
That's some psychopathic stuff right there, wow.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 10:09 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
That's some psychopathic stuff right there, wow.
Yeah, the dude is a complete nutjob. The ref took pictures on his phone and sent them to the league president, and the opposing goalie's dad tapes all his games, so we should have some video evidence if the dude isn't a complete tool. We're also writing letters to the board for his hearing.

Why should I have to play with someone who tries to hurt my ability to go to work the next day and make a living?

Old
06-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Ozz

I hope the guy who got kicked is OK. Good lord!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:03 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I hope the guy who got kicked is OK. Good lord!
He got sliced a bit, but it was mostly a giant red blotch. He had just recently switched to a new set of shoulder pads that have that velcro pad piece that hangs a little lower. That thing took the brunt of what happened. I think it would have been much worse otherwise.

Old
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Lengthly suspension? This guy needs to be banned from the league. Purposely kicking someone with your skate blade should be considered assault.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Yeah, the dude is a complete nutjob. The ref took pictures on his phone and sent them to the league president, and the opposing goalie's dad tapes all his games, so we should have some video evidence if the dude isn't a complete tool. We're also writing letters to the board for his hearing.

Why should I have to play with someone who tries to hurt my ability to go to work the next day and make a living?
Where do you play? I need to know to make sure I never end up in that league. You in Atlanta?

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Pacifist Goon

There's no place at that level for clowns that want to hurt people or have no self control, but it's always interesting how many people say 'I have to work the next day'. It's still hockey and even non checking (which can never really mean there are no checks) there's an element of risk involved, be it falling or twisting badly, into the boards or goal or collision with an opponent or catching a stick or puck. I'm not sure that getting hit, kicked or knocked over by an opponent exponentially increases the risk of not making work the next day.

I know I'm always risking getting hurt whenever I play, be it accidental or at the hands of someone else. It's part of the attraction and enjoyment of hockey that you just don't get playing tennis or miniature golf.

If you're not skating and playing as hard as you are able to or to the best of your ability, then there's probably someone on the bench waiting to.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Kesselology
License to Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
There's no place at that level for clowns that want to hurt people or have no self control, but it's always interesting how many people say 'I have to work the next day'. It's still hockey and even non checking (which can never really mean there are no checks) there's an element of risk involved, be it falling or twisting badly, into the boards or goal or collision with an opponent or catching a stick or puck. I'm not sure that getting hit, kicked or knocked over by an opponent exponentially increases the risk of not making work the next day.

I know I'm always risking getting hurt whenever I play, be it accidental or at the hands of someone else. It's part of the attraction and enjoyment of hockey that you just don't get playing tennis or miniature golf.

If you're not skating and playing as hard as you are able to or to the best of your ability, then there's probably someone on the bench waiting to.
Agreed, but there's a huge difference between something like rubbing someone out against the boards in a no-check league and doing something wholly unacceptable within the confines of the game like kicking a guy with your blade in the gut.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Pacifist Goon

Kicking someone is pretty low; up there with spitting at or spearing someone for me, which are both things I would probably go to town on someone for if they did it to me. I don't want to play with or against thugs, bullies or dirty players, but I certainly don't want to play with or against ******* either.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote