HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2014, 03:53 PM
  #426
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
There's no place at that level for clowns that want to hurt people or have no self control, but it's always interesting how many people say 'I have to work the next day'. It's still hockey and even non checking (which can never really mean there are no checks) there's an element of risk involved, be it falling or twisting badly, into the boards or goal or collision with an opponent or catching a stick or puck. I'm not sure that getting hit, kicked or knocked over by an opponent exponentially increases the risk of not making work the next day.

I know I'm always risking getting hurt whenever I play, be it accidental or at the hands of someone else. It's part of the attraction and enjoyment of hockey that you just don't get playing tennis or miniature golf.

If you're not skating and playing as hard as you are able to or to the best of your ability, then there's probably someone on the bench waiting to.
I know very well that I risk injury every time I step out on the ice. But the chances of sustaining injury go way up when there's someone out there actually trying to hurt people. I don't need some psychopath on skates compounding the probability that something bad might happen to me.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 03:58 PM
  #427
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Guy watched Happy Gilmore a few too many times. I'm with PacifistGoon, if some jerk did that I don't think I'd be able to not pummel him.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 04:05 PM
  #428
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Guy watched Happy Gilmore a few too many times. I'm with PacifistGoon, if some jerk did that I don't think I'd be able to not pummel him.
The only reason our guy held back is because the ref immediately called a match penalty and kicked him out of the game.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:07 AM
  #429
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis
 
Mr Fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
Well I had some guy try to concuss me recently, and that was nice.

My town's police and fire departments have a casual pickup game every week (anyone can come) and I was invited to attend by an acquaintance. The skill level isn't all that high, and most of the players range from only a few years experience to having played house league or high school in their younger days.

I was on the more experienced end of the spectrum so I spent most of the game just looking for the open man and trying to set up some of these guys. Didn't really push the pace at all or take more than two or three shots on net over an hour and a half of play.

Overall it would've been a fun time. Except for Mr. Try Hard.

For whatever reason this guy was taking the game way too seriously, making end to end rushes, blasting slapshots into traffic, and firing lasers at the goalie with only a year or two of experience. He might've played low level Juniors when he was younger and was the best player on the ice.

I can move pretty well and disrupted a few of his rushes and stripped him of the puck a few times, which he took exception to. Later I scored a pretty routine goal on a 3-on-1 and he called me a punk and threatened me, which is pretty ironic considering the way he had been playing the entire time.

Finally a few minutes later I made the mistake of getting in a footrace with him for a loose puck. He waited until I leaned forward with one hand on the stick, and then cut across my path with his elbow up. I got chicken-winged in the head and by the time I had opened my eyes and gotten to my knees, he had skated off the ice. I cut the inside of my lip and was dizzy for about 20 minutes, not to mention a stiff neck and back the next day.

From what I gather he's an ex-cop and no longer works in the department. I haven't been back to those skates since, but from the sound of it he was chewed out by the other guys and hasn't returned. Still I just don't understand people like this, we've all got jobs to go to and there's no sense in trying to injure someone during a friendly skate.
Was playing against a team that has a few cops on the team in a playoff game. One of the guys, dont think he was a cop, ruined a teammates knee and after the game started yelling at each other at the hand shake and then again off the ice before going into the locker room. While arguing one of their players who is a police chief of a bordering city ripped off my teammates helmet, sucked punched him in the eye, tackled him to the ground and choked him. The guy has 18 goals in a 12 year career


Last edited by Mr Fahrenheit: 06-24-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:45 AM
  #430
raptor5191
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
Was playing against a team that has a few cops on the team in a playoff game. One of the guys, dont think he was a cop, ruined a teammates knee and after the game started yelling at each other at the hand shake and then again off the ice before going into the locker room. While arguing one of their players who is a police chief of a bordering city ripped off my teammates helmet, sucked punched him in the eye, tackled him to the ground and choked him. The guy has 18 goals in a 12 year career
There are a lot of us that play. We know they are and we don't put up with them either. The ones that were in law enforcement are often EX law enforcement and that is not by coincidence.

There are a-holes in every profession guys. And the good folks in every profession hate them.

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 09:36 AM
  #431
Malarowski
Registered User
 
Malarowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 367
vCash: 822
To chime in, we have a number of cops and retired cops on the team and they are the nicest level-headed guys ever. Cops aren't hotheaded *******s, hotheaded *******s are. Profession is just coincidental.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:12 PM
  #432
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,918
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
To chime in, we have a number of cops and retired cops on the team and they are the nicest level-headed guys ever. Cops aren't hotheaded *******s, hotheaded *******s are. Profession is just coincidental.
I play in a league with a team full of police officers, and whether it's coincidental or not, they are the biggest dbags in the league and get into scrums with EVERY team. Also, they whine more than anyone else.

That is not meant to be a slight against police officers. I have the utmost respect for them and what they do.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:19 PM
  #433
Pacifist Goon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Undoubtedly for some of them, an activity like hockey will be an outlet for them to let off some steam and let out some of their frustrations from the office. Likely not just confined to that particular profession, but plenty of others too.

I don't think I'd take anything too personally, but I wouldn't put up with any crap from them either, probably tell them as much before the game too so they know where they stand.

I would think if they get that worked up on the ice they'd be pretty easy to wind up and put off their game too with a few little quips.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:24 PM
  #434
Nibbler
Registered User
 
Nibbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ambassador to Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
I play in a league with a team full of police officers, and whether it's coincidental or not, they are the biggest dbags in the league and get into scrums with EVERY team. Also, they whine more than anyone else.

That is not meant to be a slight against police officers. I have the utmost respect for them and what they do.
I played against a team that had a cop that played for them. He got into it with one of our players, and smashed our goalie's car window after the game. D-bag.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:36 PM
  #435
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis
 
Mr Fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
I play in a league with a team full of police officers, and whether it's coincidental or not, they are the biggest dbags in the league and get into scrums with EVERY team. Also, they whine more than anyone else.

That is not meant to be a slight against police officers. I have the utmost respect for them and what they do.
Pretty much agree with this. I dont hate cops, I respect them and dont think they are all hotheaded guys or even the majority for that matter but in my experience playing adult league hockey compared to other professions, in a general sense, they are the worst. This guy wasnt the only cop in our league to do something crazy in the last few months. I mean that guy I mentioned earlier has more majors then goals...

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:51 PM
  #436
Pacifist Goon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
I'd be asking him on ice 'why are you here'? And pointing out that he has more majors than goals and asking him if he's ever going to work on doing something about it.

If he said he was gonna smash me I'd ask him if he needed to handcuff me first and remind him that he'd find me tougher than a dozen donuts to get through.

Most bullies only bully and pick on people that they can. Even a cop will likely back down when they know they've met their match, especially in this age of phone video cameras and such. Their own team mates will likely pull them into line before they get into any real trouble.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:05 PM
  #437
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
I play in a league with a team full of police officers, and whether it's coincidental or not, they are the biggest dbags in the league and get into scrums with EVERY team. Also, they whine more than anyone else.

That is not meant to be a slight against police officers. I have the utmost respect for them and what they do.
I've played in a league with a team full of Sheriff's, some of the dirtiest hotheads I've played against. Some of these guys have trouble leaving their job behind and treat everybody like a criminal, probably depends on what environment you have to police.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:56 PM
  #438
Kesselology
81 Jump Street
 
Kesselology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 50
Used to have a cop on my beer league team. Absolute nicest guy out there. Mouth of a drunk, rabid teamster, but extremely nice guy.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 05:15 PM
  #439
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 24,984
vCash: 500
I've played with and against plenty of cops, and have no idea where you guys are getting these generalizations from.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 07:37 PM
  #440
raptor5191
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
All,

If what I am reading here is true about some of my coworkers that you guys have played against, you need to take some action legally against them.

If they are actually assaulting people, even if it is on the ice, it is assault. Plain and simple. Hockey is a contact sport, but it is NOT a "combat sport" like boxing/wrestling/mma wherein the competitors are mutually agreeing to engage in a fight by nature of the sport. Hockey is a team contact sport. That does not mean that malicious intent to injure is acceptable nor encouraged, much less within the rule set. There is quite a good chance they are problem children at work too. If that is the case, anything they can get to build a case against the problem employee is good.

If you are playing against law enforcement officers that are acting completely inappropriately and are overaggressive, you might want to consider bringing it to their supervisors' attention at whatever agency they work for, or at least speaking to the team captain and relaying your concerns.

If you can positively say that an officer or deputy has maliciously damaged your property (broken out a car window), you need to report it to the agency that has primary jurisdiction where the rink is located. They, like anyone else(or moreso in my opinion as a law enforcement officer with quite a bit of time on the job), should be held criminally responsible.

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 07:54 PM
  #441
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju87 View Post
Ok, I gotta rant...

I played last nite in goal in the Novice Division of our league. The team we were up against were mainly comprised of ringers playing a level down. For summer our format is 2x 20min periods.

Late in the 2nd, the score was already 0-9. Needless to say, our team was hopelessly outmatched - SOG were 3 for and 40 against. I felt like Lundqvist in the 3rd period of game 4 of the finals, but needless to say, I'm no Lundqvist. The most aggravating thing was that the players on the other team would showboat after scoring when the game was a straight-up beatdown.

So in comes one of the opposing players on the 543rd breakaway of the game. He goes stick side trying to dangle but ends up running me and putting an elbow or shoulder into my head while I was down in the butterfly, knocking my helmet sideways. No call. At this point, I just had enough. I made the save and the puck went into the corner with the attacking player going to retrieve it. I skated straight into the corner and laid a hit on the player. I got called for roughing, which was fair enough.

Just to add insult to injury, our incompetent ref tries to throw me in the box. Apparently he didn't know that goalies don't serve their own penalties. I was really heated at this point and I asked him whether he had seen the attacking player run me and hit me in the head. Incredibly, he said he didn't see it. The guy was on a breakaway, what else could the ref have been looking at ?!?!

I feel much better now after ranting.
Welcome to beer leagues. That happens everywhere. I played in a tournament in Las Vegas with a bunch of ex. junior players who should have been in the higher bracket, but chose the lowest to try and win some meaningless trinket. It is tiny PP syndrome.

__________________
What happened to LAW?
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 11:16 PM
  #442
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis
 
Mr Fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
I'd be asking him on ice 'why are you here'? And pointing out that he has more majors than goals and asking him if he's ever going to work on doing something about it.

If he said he was gonna smash me I'd ask him if he needed to handcuff me first and remind him that he'd find me tougher than a dozen donuts to get through.

Most bullies only bully and pick on people that they can. Even a cop will likely back down when they know they've met their match, especially in this age of phone video cameras and such. Their own team mates will likely pull them into line before they get into any real trouble.
My goalie asked him whats the fun in that and he turned and in what can be described as a bloodthirsty voice said its lots of fun. He wasnt bullying someone smaller than him he was just being a coward, the guy is police chief not a beat cop. Dont think he would of beat someone half his age and in better shape if he didnt attack someone who didnt know it was coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5191 View Post
All,

If what I am reading here is true about some of my coworkers that you guys have played against, you need to take some action legally against them.

If they are actually assaulting people, even if it is on the ice, it is assault. Plain and simple. Hockey is a contact sport, but it is NOT a "combat sport" like boxing/wrestling/mma wherein the competitors are mutually agreeing to engage in a fight by nature of the sport. Hockey is a team contact sport. That does not mean that malicious intent to injure is acceptable nor encouraged, much less within the rule set. There is quite a good chance they are problem children at work too. If that is the case, anything they can get to build a case against the problem employee is good.

If you are playing against law enforcement officers that are acting completely inappropriately and are overaggressive, you might want to consider bringing it to their supervisors' attention at whatever agency they work for, or at least speaking to the team captain and relaying your concerns.

If you can positively say that an officer or deputy has maliciously damaged your property (broken out a car window), you need to report it to the agency that has primary jurisdiction where the rink is located. They, like anyone else(or moreso in my opinion as a law enforcement officer with quite a bit of time on the job), should be held criminally responsible.
The cops were called. They said that the player wasnt in a cop, not coming up in their database, even though everyone knows that some of them are cops including the attacker and that if my teammate wants to press charges he would also be charged with assault. They said he threw the first punch even though he was attacked from behind and never threw a punch. We asked if we could see the surveillance video and they said no but watched it with the 2 guys on their team involved. A little later we heard from a friend thats an employee at the rink who came over and went into their locker room that when the police came they all greeted each other by name in very friendly manner. IA has since been involved but no one has heard anything in about a month

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:02 AM
  #443
raptor5191
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Keep me posted and feel free to PM me. I might be able to help or clear up things for you. I have been in the game (job) for quite a while and have a lot of different things I have been fortunate enough to do.

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 07:53 AM
  #444
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 24,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Welcome to beer leagues. That happens everywhere. I played in a tournament in Las Vegas with a bunch of ex. junior players who should have been in the higher bracket, but chose the lowest to try and win some meaningless trinket. It is tiny PP syndrome.
I will agree that former junior/AAA players are the absolute worst. Tryhards and *******s all around.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 01:01 PM
  #445
CunniJA
Registered User
 
CunniJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Estes Park, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
That's the problem with internal "investigations" in any organization. It's very hard for organizations to internally police themselves when the investigators are buddy buddy with those being investigated. Sounds like this guy is a total punk and runs a punkish outfit as well. Your friend may well never get the justice he deserves.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 01:37 PM
  #446
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Some moron tried going under me in a race to the puck last night; only he wasn't nearly big or strong enough to do it. He fell, and my momentum took me over him as he ended up just taking me out at shin-level. Hardly clean.

Naturally my momentum sent me over his body and he was tied up on my skates, and I put my arms out to brace my fall. Ended up hitting his head and rubbing his face (full cage) into the ice. He got all bloodied up and rolled around a bit, then his teammates come up and petition to the ref for a call to go against me. Seriously? Try not to break people's legs or arms with a cheapshot like that and maybe you wouldn't have to deal with them falling on you, especially when you're not big enough to throw your weight around. Neither of us got a call on the play; despite feeling I was interfered with I didn't mind that. They seemed to feel slighted though, but they were also first to throw slashes, punches, shoves, etc. all game.

Later on, one of their big guys thought he'd try to skate through me but I knocked him right on his ass. His stick went flying - off my ear and bounced a few feet away. It still kinda hurts, there was not even a highsticking call, but I'll be darned if I was about to cry about it to the refs. Usually even the slightest/weakest/"dive-head-first-into-someone's-stick" highsticking calls are called, so that was actually quite peculiar of a non-call considering he may as well have bashed me with it. Ah well.

Some people!


.
Regarding Junior players, I play with a bunch (NAHL and others) and they're all pretty level-headed. I play inline with a few who are on national/international level teams and for the most part they're great guys too. I can think of maybe 3 that can be real jerks, but I've seen way worse in the lower level leagues around me.


Last edited by Ozz: 06-25-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 01:54 PM
  #447
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I will agree that former junior/AAA players are the absolute worst. Tryhards and *******s all around.
They always have the most creative stories about why they didn't make it. I've heard the same story a million times, "the coach didn't like me" or "I messed up my knee" or "coach wanted me to be an enforcer". The funny part is they are usually great individual players but that is the weakness in their game. Coaches aren't looking for great individuals, they're looking for guys who will go all out and do whatever they're told for the benefit of the team. Usually very selfish players and they pass like they're working on their snap shot.


Last edited by The Tikkanen: 06-27-2014 at 02:38 PM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:30 PM
  #448
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,964
vCash: 500
Comment - Suggestion

The thread is crossing the line into innuendo, hearsay and other less favourable comments.

Please get it back on track.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 07:29 PM
  #449
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 8,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I will agree that former junior/AAA players are the absolute worst. Tryhards and *******s all around.
It's pretty extreme.

Those kind of players are either really nice and down to earth or epic dickweeds.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 02:27 AM
  #450
vexXed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju87 View Post
Ok, I gotta rant...

I played last nite in goal in the Novice Division of our league. The team we were up against were mainly comprised of ringers playing a level down. For summer our format is 2x 20min periods.

Late in the 2nd, the score was already 0-9. Needless to say, our team was hopelessly outmatched - SOG were 3 for and 40 against. I felt like Lundqvist in the 3rd period of game 4 of the finals, but needless to say, I'm no Lundqvist. The most aggravating thing was that the players on the other team would showboat after scoring when the game was a straight-up beatdown.

So in comes one of the opposing players on the 543rd breakaway of the game. He goes stick side trying to dangle but ends up running me and putting an elbow or shoulder into my head while I was down in the butterfly, knocking my helmet sideways. No call. At this point, I just had enough. I made the save and the puck went into the corner with the attacking player going to retrieve it. I skated straight into the corner and laid a hit on the player. I got called for roughing, which was fair enough.

Just to add insult to injury, our incompetent ref tries to throw me in the box. Apparently he didn't know that goalies don't serve their own penalties. I was really heated at this point and I asked him whether he had seen the attacking player run me and hit me in the head. Incredibly, he said he didn't see it. The guy was on a breakaway, what else could the ref have been looking at ?!?!

I feel much better now after ranting.
Is that the ref with the mustache handing out at least one 2+10 min checking penalty per game? If so, then I feel your pain... guy is atrociously bad.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.