HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
06-28-2014, 10:26 AM
ju87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
Is that the ref with the mustache handing out at least one 2+10 min checking penalty per game? If so, then I feel your pain... guy is atrociously bad.
haha... we must play in the same league. not the guy with the mustache, another notoriously bad ref

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:27 PM
CunniJA

Last night, both refs kept yelling at me in net to "play the puck if nobody is around." Twice when I don't play it, (and am clearly in the crease holding the puck) the other team has a guy in the slot , which is why I did not play the puck. On these two occasions, the refs do blow the whistle after about 5 solid seconds and then the refs come up and tell me "play the puck if nobody is around."

Well, throughout the night, the refs literally yell at me on a couple of occasions to play the puck after saves. Each time, I am in the crease and there is definitely an opposing player around (and occasionally really nobody on my side really around). On one such play, the puck is sitting in my armpit and there's again at least 5 full seconds between the save and the whistle. Not really sure how I'm reasonably expected to play a puck in my armpit. And in another case, the puck actually goes down my left pillow. After the whistle, I had to take my blocker off to reach in and get it. Yet, with the puck IN MY FREAKING EQUIPMENT, the refs are yelling at me to play the puck.

Then in the third, I'm starting to get worried that these guys are going to give me a delay of game or something. So, on one save, I have the puck covered on the ice with my glove in the crease right next to the post. Multiple, mutliple seconds go by with no whistle... I see my d-man next to me, so I play her the puck. Well, there was a guy near her, the clear gets messed up, and the other team scores with my d-man screening the hell out of me. This made it a 3-2 game in favor of the other team.

Fortunately, our team scores a couple minutes later and the other team calls a timeout with 3 minutes left. During the timeout, my team was very supportive and fully understood why I played the puck on that third goal. The aformentioned d-man is a ref herself, and she was saying what those refs were doing was completely off base and that I had every right not to play the puck in each one of those scenarios because I was in the crease and there were opposing players certainly in the vicinity. One player suggested the refs were lazy and just wanted to end the game faster. Another simply said, "**** those guys." :p

With about 2 minutes left, the other guys get a breakaway and I stuff the dude with my blocker. It goes into a shootout and after giving up the first goal, I save the last 4, we score 2, and we win in the shooutout. At least that felt really good. But, I'm still pissed off about getting yelled at by refs all night when I certainly thought, and my ref teammate thought, that I was in the right.

As is common in this thread, I think this is just lazy reffing.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:30 PM
althoma1

If a goalie wants to hold the puck in their crease to get a line change or slow things down that's up to them. If there is someone nearby that's all the more reason to hold the puck.

The only time a goalie holding the puck should result in a delay of game penalty is if no part of them is touching the blue paint. For example, a loose puck is a few feet away from the crease and an opposing player is coming in hard, the goalie jumps on the puck and freezes it instead of shooting it up the ice or into the corner. This would be a delay of game penalty, however; you said you were holding it in the crease.

I think some of your players were right - if it was a stop time game the refs probably wanted to get home sooner so encouraged the goalies to play the puck as much as possible.

It's funny, I was reffing a men's league roller game last week and a dman was complaining I was blowing the whistle too early and not giving his goalie a chance to move the puck (well, ball in this case as that league uses a ball). The goalie didn't voice the same concern as I blew the whistle because there was an opposing player in the high slot and getting closer.

When I officiate I tend to say things like, "you can move the puck if you want" if I don't feel there are opposing players around. The only time I'll really yell at the goalie to move it is if they're freezing it outside of their crease - in that case I'm trying to avoid giving them a delay of game penalty. I'll give them a mental 3 count and if they don't move it by then and are not in their crease they'll get a delay of game penalty. I wouldn't call a delay of game penalty on a goalie for holding it in their crease even if the opposing team was all 50 feet away. It'd be annoying if it was a stop time game and it was the last game of a long shift or something, but the goalie can still hold it in their crease if they choose to do so.

althoma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I hate it when the refs yell at our goalie to play the puck.

Our goalie is alittle shaky with the puck, so alot of the time when the refs says "play it" he'll move it right to the opposing team, or a defencemen who's in no position to receive the puck. I ended up telling him to think of me as the absolute authority on whether or not he should play it lol, regardless of what the refs are screaming, they just want to get home early, and could really care less whether we win or lose. If I'm in a position to receive the pass, and the opposition isn't in the area, I'll tell you.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 04:12 PM
beeker16

OT: Anyone ever have the perfect stick and pickup times drastically changed?
One of the 3 rinks has cooler problems and its been a cluster-f for over a month.
My 6pm and 10pm times are gone.

Can't cancel tourneys, HS games or league of course but stick times and pickup?
Those moved to 6am and 11am. Horrible if you're a working adult imo.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
OT: Anyone ever have the perfect stick and pickup times drastically changed?
One of the 3 rinks has cooler problems and its been a cluster-f for over a month.
My 6pm and 10pm times are gone.

Can't cancel tourneys, HS games or league of course but stick times and pickup?
Those moved to 6am and 11am. Horrible if you're a working adult imo.
All the rinks within 20-30 minutes (and that's a lot, being in the metro Detroit area) cancelled S&P for summer for one reason or another. But usually the majority of open times are during normal work hours anyway. Fine by me since I work at home and can come and go as I please, but that's not the case for my friends.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 05:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Yep, there was a Sunday 8:30PM pickup in Wake Forest here that was absolutely perfect for me to make. I typically work my desk job on weekends but I'm usually out of there by 7:15 and at the rink by 8, so it worked perfectly. I was one of the lowest level players there, but there were a bunch of guys there that were doing a hell of a job working with me on some things. A lot of older guys (like myself) that were B level at best, but also a lot of younger guys that played for some of the local college club teams and even some of the area junior A or major junior players would drop by. Just a bunch of guys having fun working on things. Anyhow, heading into the summer they decided to change things up and go from having two adult pickups a weekend, saturday afternoon and sunday evening, to just saturday afternoon which is just outright unmakable for me.

Thankfully it sounds like they're moving the saturday afternoon one to 8:30 on saturday now though so that should help.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Was told I'd be starting in net and then I got there and they said they changed their mind and I'm a backup for this mini tourney.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Primrose Everdeen
The Shermanator

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
Last night, both refs kept yelling at me in net to "play the puck if nobody is around." Twice when I don't play it, (and am clearly in the crease holding the puck) the other team has a guy in the slot , which is why I did not play the puck. On these two occasions, the refs do blow the whistle after about 5 solid seconds and then the refs come up and tell me "play the puck if nobody is around."

Well, throughout the night, the refs literally yell at me on a couple of occasions to play the puck after saves. Each time, I am in the crease and there is definitely an opposing player around (and occasionally really nobody on my side really around). On one such play, the puck is sitting in my armpit and there's again at least 5 full seconds between the save and the whistle. Not really sure how I'm reasonably expected to play a puck in my armpit. And in another case, the puck actually goes down my left pillow. After the whistle, I had to take my blocker off to reach in and get it. Yet, with the puck IN MY FREAKING EQUIPMENT, the refs are yelling at me to play the puck.

Then in the third, I'm starting to get worried that these guys are going to give me a delay of game or something. So, on one save, I have the puck covered on the ice with my glove in the crease right next to the post. Multiple, mutliple seconds go by with no whistle... I see my d-man next to me, so I play her the puck. Well, there was a guy near her, the clear gets messed up, and the other team scores with my d-man screening the hell out of me. This made it a 3-2 game in favor of the other team.

Fortunately, our team scores a couple minutes later and the other team calls a timeout with 3 minutes left. During the timeout, my team was very supportive and fully understood why I played the puck on that third goal. The aformentioned d-man is a ref herself, and she was saying what those refs were doing was completely off base and that I had every right not to play the puck in each one of those scenarios because I was in the crease and there were opposing players certainly in the vicinity. One player suggested the refs were lazy and just wanted to end the game faster. Another simply said, "**** those guys." :p

With about 2 minutes left, the other guys get a breakaway and I stuff the dude with my blocker. It goes into a shootout and after giving up the first goal, I save the last 4, we score 2, and we win in the shooutout. At least that felt really good. But, I'm still pissed off about getting yelled at by refs all night when I certainly thought, and my ref teammate thought, that I was in the right.

As is common in this thread, I think this is just lazy reffing.
It is. Lazy partners as an official annoy me more than lazy officials when I'm a player.

Personally, I will not order a goalie to play the puck unless there are actually no players in the attacking zone.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
theMajor

my teammates have been celebrating way too much lately and its getting to be really ****in embarrassing. i dont know how to tell them to stop acting like a-holes without coming across as an a-hole myself.

im talking about celebrating when we're up 5-1, 6-2....

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
my teammates have been celebrating way too much lately and its getting to be really ****in embarrassing. i dont know how to tell them to stop acting like a-holes without coming across as an a-hole myself.

im talking about celebrating when we're up 5-1, 6-2....
Just don't do it when you score... set the example man!

In my winter league, among my team, a quick high five or a "nice work" is good enough... Maybe tell them it's bad sportsmanship. If you take pride in that

Last edited by Silence Of The Plams: 06-29-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:33 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

beer league commissioner checking in. just wanted to say i love tracking this thread - even made a few adjustments to my league based on some of the most common "vents and frustrations" here.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 07:39 AM
wingfan

So I'm playing in an intermediate summer league, this week we played the #1 team. They're 6-0, we're 5-1. We lost our first game to them 8-7(we had a sub goalie and he couldn't stop a beach ball). We end up thumping them this go around, we are up 6-0 with about 3 left in the third. They're getting real chippy, which I hate, we stopped shooting after six and just dumped the puck at the red line. So I've got a guy coming down on me 1 on 1, I'm just kind of half hazardly skating backwards, giving him space but not letting him get around me. Next thing I know the guy looks straight at me and tees up a clapper right in front of me. My first reaction is cover my face, the puck hits me right in the tongue of the skate. Luckily the guy has no idea how to transfer his weight through a shot, didn't even hurt, I was still so pissed. We ended up putting up another four goals in the last 3 minutes because of it...

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
beer league commissioner checking in. just wanted to say i love tracking this thread - even made a few adjustments to my league based on some of the most common "vents and frustrations" here.
Would you mind sharing what changes you made based on this thread?

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:03 AM
PS12

I'm learning to not stand up after clearing a puck. Gotta keep moving my feet.

Got drilled after passing the puck and then standing up.

A second after i got rid of the puck a guy from the other team hit me chest high and sent me flying. He came at me at full speed.

2 mins for him and a sore back for me.

For a non check league i get hit a lot.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:53 AM
PlayoffBeard365

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS12 View Post
I'm learning to not stand up after clearing a puck. Gotta keep moving my feet.

Got drilled after passing the puck and then standing up.

A second after i got rid of the puck a guy from the other team hit me chest high and sent me flying. He came at me at full speed.

2 mins for him and a sore back for me.

For a non check league i get hit a lot.
Makes me wonder was the guy playing the puck or you? Was he out of control? Sounds like a straight up bulldoze to me. In a non check league I'd be wicked pissed and I'd tell him about it.

Plenty of contact around here but gratefully none of that garbage...unless by obvious accident.

PlayoffBeard365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
PS12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayoffBeard365 View Post
Makes me wonder was the guy playing the puck or you? Was he out of control? Sounds like a straight up bulldoze to me. In a non check league I'd be wicked pissed and I'd tell him about it.

Plenty of contact around here but gratefully none of that garbage...unless by obvious accident.
I was bulldozed. My teammates said he came in full speed and didnt hesitate.

I never get upset. If we get the call great if not i just keep playing.

I understand incidental contact happens but this was not the case. Hockey is still a contact sport but yeah. It was a cheap shot.

The guy who hit me is a good skater and was not out of control.

Like i said. Stuff like that happens a lot to me.

The team we played usually beats us and we were ahead all game. So maybe frustration. Its summer league.

My motto is always play the puck.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:31 PM
PlayoffBeard365

Man, what a bunch of horse****.

Me personally, I would petition the league to have him tossed if possible. Hit him back in his pocket book. Punks like him don't deserve to play in your league assuming this isn't the norm.

Last edited by PlayoffBeard365: 07-09-2014 at 09:46 PM.
PlayoffBeard365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:25 AM
hyster110

Quote:

I understand incidental contact happens but this was not the case. Hockey is still a contact sport but yeah. It was a cheap shot.

The team we played usually beats us and we were ahead all game. So maybe frustration. Its summer league.

same kinda thing happened to me and he tore my ACL, starting to think beer league isnt worth dealing with the weekend warrior (mod)

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 07-10-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: phrasing
hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Pacifist Goon

Quote:

You need a goon on your team. Not someone that will drop the gloves and chase the guy around the ice, but someone that will introduce themselves first and then if the behaviour is repeated, at the appropriate time and opportunity will absolutely rock the guy, with interest. All's fair in love, war and even beer league if someone else wants to start something or go around cheap shotting people.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
same kinda thing happened to me and he tore my ACL, starting to think beer league isnt worth dealing with the weekend warrior (mod)
If you expect contact as though it is a full check league you won't get hurt. The problem is people sign up for no check beer leagues expecting full gentlemanly play at all times which is ludicrous, those are the guys who get hurt. Know who's on the ice with you, know who the guys are who take it too seriously, the guys that can do damage and move the puck accordingly. I've been playing for 20 years, very chippy in my younger days and I've torn an acl and some stitches here and there (and I tore my ACL trying to eliminate my former captain and missed him). If you're that worried about contact then I'd stick to pickups, even then you're still gonna get guys that can eliminate you if they desire to do so.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:57 PM
AD1066

I thought of another one, although minor:

I play in a weekly pick-up skate that's been going on for a few years now. Mix of skill levels ranging from one or two Junior A (Tier III) guys to guys in their 40s and 50s just looking to have fun. Some father-son combos out there. Everyone is respectful for the most part and there's never any fighting or problems.

The one think that irks me however is the team composition. Every week the organizer of the skate assigns jersey colors while we're getting dressed. He plays white every week, and his team is almost always better than the black team. Sometimes it's only a slight difference, other nights it seems like black is on the penalty kill.

Most of us have played together for years, so there's no real excuse for not knowing how good certain players are or which team is likely to outperform the other. It's immediately evident during warm-ups how the night is going to play out.

He's not a super competitive guy and just seems to be out there to genuinely have fun, which makes it more inexplicable in a way. But whether it's intentional or subconscious, it can be frustrating some nights trying to break the cycle of three or four very good high school players while both your defensemen on the ice are on the wrong side of 50.

It's not losing that bothers me as much as just the unbalanced nature of play, for example spending an entire shift feeling helpless on the wing while your team can't execute a simple breakout. I don't care if I "lose" a pick-up skate when it's all said and done, as long as there's some good back and forth trading of chances and a decent amount of time in the opposition's zone.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 02:17 PM
SmCurse

"It's hard for me to stop forwards one on one because we can't hit. If someone got stickhandling skills you can't take puck away without hitting, hitting is essential part of my game". Yes that's the reason. Besides the reason that you can't ****ing skate backwards. Can't poke check. And to be honest your skating is so bad that you would pretty much die within a minute if we'd allow hitting.

SmCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
You need a goon on your team. Not someone that will drop the gloves and chase the guy around the ice, but someone that will introduce themselves first and then if the behaviour is repeated, at the appropriate time and opportunity will absolutely rock the guy, with interest. All's fair in love, war and even beer league if someone else wants to start something or go around cheap shotting people.
No, you don't ever need a 'goon'. They are borderline useless in the NHL and I doubt having a meathead in beer league won't help.

If there is somebody cheap shotting people, just tell the ref. They are usually good about taking care of that. There is virtually never a reason to go outside of the rules and take justice in your own hands.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Reilly

I've only been playing hockey since last Fall. I play in two non-checking leagues. I've learned that non-checking is far from no-contact and despite being one of the smaller players I'm fine with it. There are only two times when someone has hit me that I have stayed mad. Both situations involved people running me over when I think, based on their skating ability, they had time to stop or at least slow down. In one case a collision was unavoidable, but I think that while I was hitting the breaks, the other guy was taking an extra stride and dipping a shoulder. Neither person was called for a penalty.

Both guys are great off-ice and I don't feel any personal animosity towards them. Yet, I admit that I did intentionally lay a hit on one of them in a later game to sort of "even the score". I was careful to play the puck but also went out of my way to set it up so that I could hit him. I don't mean to give the impression this was some kind of big NHL hit, it wasn't close to that. It was just enough to knock him off his skates, separate him from the puck and send him sliding. I was not called for a penalty and he didn't show any sign of thinking it was a bad play.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote