HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2014, 10:30 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

vCash: 500
They get paid $25 a game for one hour of easy money though.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
And they get to act like they're the **** during that time.

I need to get myself a reffing job.

Old
07-31-2014, 07:25 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

I've been an intramural ref before.

It's not as easy or fun as you make it out to be. Especially when you deal with players who purposefully break rules and cause mayhem out there.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
It's not as easy as you seem to think it is. I'd recommend trying it for a few games.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:26 PM
M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

Quote:
The worst jobs I've ever had were reffing/umping. Rarely do you get a game where people are working with you. Most of the time people are trying to get away with something and then ***** when they get caught. Let alone when games get close and everyone has their own personal rules about what should and shouldn't get called.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:04 PM
Slats432

Quote:
In Edmonton we get up to $50 a game to ref rec hockey. The quality of hockey ranges from NHL player to ankle skater. (Reffed a current NHL Bruin recently)

Over 75% of the refs I work with are there to do a good job. There are enough good refs that the poor ones are only fill ins when there isn't a quality guy available.
Even if the refs do an exceptional job, players in 75% of games are jerks (And that is the polite word for what they really are).

Most refs are in some way former players/minor hockey refs that do it for a lot of reasons, exercise, being part of the game, and getting a few bucks to do it.
There are some games that are so fun to do, you would almost do them for free. (Guys there to play, working hard, playing clean, and have the odd laugh and don't take it too seriously.)

But that is the one out of a hundred. Too many guys act like idiots, to the refs, to the other team and make the experience a **** show for everyone.

So, no, not easy money. Imagine Daddy daycare with 20 guys who swear at you. If it was $25 a game here, there wouldn't be a rec ref to be had.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Ozz

Man, the way some refs act you'd think they're there as a favor for free.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Tapu Debe
DBU

vCash: 464
Can I vent about ball hockey in here? I'm going to anyways lol

It really isn't anything to get upset over, but we played a team last night and lost 4-2. Overall we weren't very good but there was one guy on the other team who was clearly subbing for them and every time he was on the court he would take the ball behind his net and fly coast to coast to try and score. Every damn time. Like I said it really isn't anything to justify getting annoyed by but it irked me. Maybe that's just because our team was collectively tired all game, lol.

The guy didn't even get in the handshake line at the end though. It very much seemed like he was there to show off and then peace out.

Okay, vent over.

Last edited by Tapu Debe: 07-31-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old
07-31-2014, 03:37 PM
TheGooooch

Miss having frustrations. Haven't played in 4 years or more. Was boarded from behind and my back bent a way that is shouldn't. Took a decent amount of physical therapy and haven't been back.

Keep meaning too but life keeps getting in the way. Doesn't help that I lost pretty much most of my hockey shape that I was in and I'm sure my endurance is crap now.

Old
08-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Miss having frustrations. Haven't played in 4 years or more. Was boarded from behind and my back bent a way that is shouldn't. Took a decent amount of physical therapy and haven't been back.

Keep meaning too but life keeps getting in the way. Doesn't help that I lost pretty much most of my hockey shape that I was in and I'm sure my endurance is crap now.
If you do come back, start slow. We lose a guy every couple of years to a heart attack. It's usually the out of shape guys who try to go all out after coming back from a break.

Old
08-01-2014, 07:15 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post

I'm sure there's a low level league you could join just to get your feet wet.

08-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

Man, guys just coasting or cruising about and being out two or three minutes plus. Either go hard or get off, especially when the game is in the balance. Not been on board long enough to say anything in the locker room, but aside from lack of conditioning, I wonder if some guys have possibly just never played or participated in anything requiring any real intensity. Perhaps they don't actually know how to do it in terms of exerting themselves?

Sucks going hard out for half that time and losing out on time on ice to cruisers who play the same number of shifts, yet accumulate twice the ice time but put in half the effort. Good guys, but frustrating as hell.

Old
08-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

..and preferring to play 3 on defence with 8 forwards. Is it just me or is that insane, poorly thought out or a little selfish in beer league? Average 40 minutes TOI for the rear and low 20 's up front?

Old
08-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Ozz

That's a bit uneven, but I see that or close to it frequently. Seems eeeeveryone wants to play F and gladly takes the hit in their ice time. I'll play extra shifts on D all day, personally

Old
08-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

I'd prefer to play at the back, not to get the 'extra' ice time per se, but just to avoid getting the squeeze on the time from the guys coasting the long shifts up front.

Can still play short shifts, but it's every other shift, not three lines.

Old
08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
..and preferring to play 3 on defence with 8 forwards. Is it just me or is that insane, poorly thought out or a little selfish in beer league? Average 40 minutes TOI for the rear and low 20 's up front?
If you have 8 forwards that is insane.

Old
08-03-2014, 06:06 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Especially only using 3 defenseman.

Play 4 defenseman. 6 forwards, and the last guy either plays a 3rd center role, or cycles through each spot on the two lines.

My biggest gripe lately is guys acting like they scored the GWG goal in game 7 of Stanley Cup Finals.
I'm not saying you can't congratulate a teammate, or give a fist bump when the goal is scored. However if your scoring the 4th or 5th goal in a game when you are up 2-3 goals. Keep your mouth shut and skate to the bench or center ice for the faceoff. I'm not saying dial back your offensive attack, I'm just saying don't be a clown. Act like you've scored a goal or two before.

Old
08-03-2014, 08:25 PM
HiEverybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
The team I play for does this ALL the time. 3 D, 8 forwards. The only time they play 4 D is if we have 10 exactly.

Old
08-04-2014, 12:09 AM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
That's a bit uneven, but I see that or close to it frequently. Seems eeeeveryone wants to play F and gladly takes the hit in their ice time. I'll play extra shifts on D all day, personally
same here. ive played D 4 seasons in a row and kinda wanted to play up this season but battling for ice time with 9 other forwards drove me insane. ill take the ice time thank you very much

Old
08-04-2014, 12:14 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Just played a game where we had 9 guys, so enough for 6 forwards and 3 defensemen. I played club hockey as a defenseman, so naturally I assume I am going to take one of the three spots. This coaster and his brother come to the game and push me out of the defensive spot within a period, so I have to resort to playing center because nobody else will.

Also sucked because they scored in the first minute because the one coaster started the game. No idea why he plays defense if he isn't willing to skate hard to the corners.

Old
08-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Just played a game where we had 9 guys, so enough for 6 forwards and 3 defensemen. I played club hockey as a defenseman, so naturally I assume I am going to take one of the three spots. This coaster and his brother come to the game and push me out of the defensive spot within a period, so I have to resort to playing center because nobody else will.

Also sucked because they scored in the first minute because the one coaster started the game. No idea why he plays defense if he isn't willing to skate hard to the corners.
Coasters at any position frustrate me.

Blowing late leads to a really good team when you need a win is also frustrating. Especially when you have a quality scoring chance and don't score X2.

Old
08-06-2014, 02:17 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Kind of depends on the team. 11 Skaters is kind of the worst combination you can get, because if you go 7 forwards and 4 dmen rotating an extra guy through two lines can become & mess things up. You could go 3 centers and two wing pairs but typically in beer league your centers will be better than the wingers. You could go two C-W pairs and rotate 3 guys on one of the wings but that can seem unfair.

With my old team the best strategy was to always put our 5 best players in the 3 D and 2 C spots, and then make 3 wing pairs. Less ice time for the wingers is balanced by getting to play with your best players all game.

Old
08-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Kind of depends on the team. 11 Skaters is kind of the worst combination you can get, because if you go 7 forwards and 4 dmen rotating an extra guy through two lines can become & mess things up. You could go 3 centers and two wing pairs but typically in beer league your centers will be better than the wingers. You could go two C-W pairs and rotate 3 guys on one of the wings but that can seem unfair.

With my old team the best strategy was to always put our 5 best players in the 3 D and 2 C spots, and then make 3 wing pairs. Less ice time for the wingers is balanced by getting to play with your best players all game.
4D, 2 lines and a Floater or your option are the 2 best imo. Our team does the former.

Old
08-07-2014, 10:16 AM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
In Edmonton we get up to $50 a game to ref rec hockey. The quality of hockey ranges from NHL player to ankle skater. (Reffed a current NHL Bruin recently)

Over 75% of the refs I work with are there to do a good job. There are enough good refs that the poor ones are only fill ins when there isn't a quality guy available.
Even if the refs do an exceptional job, players in 75% of games are jerks (And that is the polite word for what they really are).

Most refs are in some way former players/minor hockey refs that do it for a lot of reasons, exercise, being part of the game, and getting a few bucks to do it.
There are some games that are so fun to do, you would almost do them for free. (Guys there to play, working hard, playing clean, and have the odd laugh and don't take it too seriously.)

But that is the one out of a hundred. Too many guys act like idiots, to the refs, to the other team and make the experience a **** show for everyone.

So, no, not easy money. Imagine Daddy daycare with 20 guys who swear at you. If it was $25 a game here, there wouldn't be a rec ref to be had.
I think $50 isn't enough. It should be $100. But then players would think that gave them even more of a right to complain and harass.

My home town runs an annual hockey mens tournament in April. It's been going on for over 50 years and teams come from all over.
The last one I played in was a complete poop-show.
After our game, we went up to grab a beer and watch the 11:30 game.
The game lasted a total of 12 minutes before the refs left the ice entirely while nearly everyone on the ice was brawling.
I think there may have been only 1 or 2 guys on either team that were sober.

But that's hockey for you. It's the only sport that encourages grown-men to behave like babies. Then throw alcohol into the mix. Good times.

Refs don't get paid nearly enough.

Old
08-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post
I think $50 isn't enough. It should be $100. But then players would think that gave them even more of a right to complain and harass.

My home town runs an annual hockey mens tournament in April. It's been going on for over 50 years and teams come from all over.
The last one I played in was a complete poop-show.
After our game, we went up to grab a beer and watch the 11:30 game.
The game lasted a total of 12 minutes before the refs left the ice entirely while nearly everyone on the ice was brawling.
I think there may have been only 1 or 2 guys on either team that were sober.

But that's hockey for you. It's the only sport that encourages grown-men to behave like babies. Then throw alcohol into the mix. Good times.

Refs don't get paid nearly enough.
$100 for roughly an hour to ref beer league. Yyyyeah.

Closed Thread