HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
08-07-2014, 12:40 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

vCash: 500
I seem to have a real problem keeping my mouth shut sometimes with officials. Even when they blow a call, what good is it to whine to them about it?

Had (from my perspective) a poor officiated game where physical play was really let go, which caused two players to fight in front of the net. After the melee, I tell the ref "this is what happens when you don't call this stuff", and instead of telling me to **** off he explains his side and the whole situation from his perspective.

Makes me happy that refs don't just shoo you away all the time and annoyed that I let my perspective of the game get me into an accusatory mode. The good news is it doesn't happen that often and I tend to have a good back and forth with the refs. It's just beer league, after all.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Ozz

I have a problem actually complaining to refs. If anything I'll just be Mr. Voice of Reason later and ask about something that happened and how/why things might be/not be called in relation to it. Being on a couple teams full of known hotheads, it doesn't do us any good to get into discussions in the heat of the moment That being said, I'm about the only guy on one of the teams that the refs will even speak with because of that.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 10:56 AM
GoldenBearHockey

vCash: 475
Had a bench brawl last night, fast paced, good hockey game, no chippiness until the very end, team down by one, powers to the net with the puck, guy tries to poke it in, gets the goalie, team goes *******, and both benches clear,

Yea, $25 is enough for that....sure bill.

GoldenBearHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Devas

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranraida View Post
Holy hell, you dropped 20 pounds in a month? What's your workout regimen like?
Well, I'm 212.2 now. I just skate 3-5 times per week, work a very physical job, and eat maintenance calories on workout/hockey days, and 300 calorie deficit on off days. Just got finished eating a large calzone and 2 coke... will be playing tonight

Devas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 03:53 PM
buddhaknows

Pulled my groin last week during a drop in game. Pulled the goalie out of the net as I crossed over in front and the defender crashed into me. Puck trickled in between the goalies legs while the defender goes flying into the net with me on top of him. We both laughed if off but I knew I tweaked something. Not angry at the dman but ticked I can't play. I'm done for a while.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Devas

At any rate, time to jump on the ****** reffing bandwagon. A specific ref has ref'd 5 games in a row for my team. Two games out of 5 he has disallowed at least 2 goals from my team, and the other 3 games he has disallowed 1 goal. He has also let opponents get very questionable goals (i.e crashing the net when the puck is covered and knocking the puck loose after at least a 5 second cover, and then allowing the resulting goal to be allowed, and then disallowing a goal where the puck wasn't covered in the crease because he "thought" it was covered and intended to blow the whistle... and even if he intended to blow, it would have been a 1 or 2 second cover to begin with). This hasn't cost us much - It cost us 1 win in a meaningless game as we already had our position locked up. While I don't care about personal stats too much, kind of sucks to have goals taken away. Even the other team joked during one of the games that I had two goals taken away from me that I am close to a new type of hat trick - 3 disallowed goals in a game.

The part that frustrates me the most is that physical contact is to be avoided at all costs but he lets the better players take a beating because they should expect to be played hard according to his rationale. In a span of 4 minutes I received two bad passes and a specific player with a reputation for physical play takes advantage of that and has elbows up and heat shots me twice. I put myself in that position, sure, but only because of two ****** dead man passes. It was the defenders job not to take advantage of that based on our league rules. Broke my helmet on the first hit (broke a rivet off the side of my Bauer 5500) and the 2nd hit cracked the holder to my Bauer HDO Deluxe clip in visors. No penalties on either play, and I left it at that. I wanted a new helmet anyways but now I need to buy a new visor holder just to use my last HDO Clip in visor with my new helmet - I buy packages of two visors.

Same player crosses the blue line and tries to power through two defenders by using his body to knock them away. He trips himself, falls over, and then we get two penalties - 1 for tripping and one for roughing. He put himself in that position and tried to man handle his way through and causes a two man advantage for his team, while I get elbowed in the head twice, breaking my helmet, just trying to receive a pass. Ref's rationale is that I should expect rough play as lesser skilled players have to work harder to keep up with me, and that he should be calling penalties on lesser skilled players to keep them safe.

Seriously... I have already told the league that I will not be playing again with the league in the fall as I feel the referee's aren't doing enough to keep all players safe and their response is that they are having a hard enough time finding consistent and reliable referee's that they can't afford to alienate any of them by bringing these concerns to their attention.

Devas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I like to use opposing defenders as screens for my shots. A lot of the times, I try to line them up with opposing goalies and put my shot between their legs or just outside of their body.

For the most part, I keep my shots low and controlled. For some reason though, my shot always seem to hit the same guy and not anyone else.

I took him out of the game at least twice, once with a shot to the groin, another that fractured his thumb.

What's even better is that every time inadvertently smash into someone or have a blindside collision, it's with that guy.

I know he hates me, but it's just weird as hell how he's just so accident prone and it almost exclusively involves me only.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:47 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Guys in beer leagues tend to take things too seriously when it comes to chippy play.

Had one guy who kept chirping everybody on our team and making threats just because, and another guy got pissed at me for basically keeping him from potentially getting at a loose puck in front of the net.

Also, my team has a bad habit of scoring a lot of goals in the first and then just coasting and trying to play shut down defense for the rest of the game. We need more guys so we aren't as tired.

Last edited by ArGarBarGar: 08-11-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Hambone15

Everyone on my team is like I'd say 20-30 years old except for this guy who's easily in his late 40's early 50's. He's awful, and it's not because of his age but I'm sure that doesn't help.

He plays D. Half the time he's the first guy out of our zone and the last one back. He screams and blames everyone but himself when we're scored on. As soon as the puck touches someones stick on our team in our end he's yelling "get it out!!!" before the player even really has a chance to look for a dump or pass to make. After every goal you hear an echo of "****!" as his stick hits the boards.

My 4 newest complaints about him are:

-The other night we had a powerplay so we put out our best line.. Well, 4 of us, plus him, because he wouldn't get off. The guy gets the puck on the offensive blue line after we're all setup, I'm sitting in the corner along the boards, not covered, wide open for a pass. All he had to do was pass me the puck, and I had 2 passes I'd be able to make, or I could have walked in on the goalie. What's he do? Skates the puck right ****ing TO WHERE IM STANDING in the corner, "passes" it to our guy in front of the net, but because he's so ****ing slow and skated it in himself their D intercepted it and cleared it. We wound up getting it back and did basically the same play minus him being involved and we scored to tie the game.

-Also the other night, this guy gets the puck on their blue line, also on a powerplay. He's standing there with the puck looking for a pass, and I guess he didn't see one. What would you do in that situation? Maybe skate it around your area a bit to try and open up a lane? Maybe take a low shot and hope for a deflection or something? Do SOMETHING, right? Ohh he did something. He literally ****ing back handed it softly as if he's drop passing it to someone, out of their zone to nobody. Their forward flew in and got the puck but luckily our goalie made his millionth breakaway save of the season.

-This guy's easily the worst player on the team. We had to pull our goalie a few weeks ago. I was gonna be the 6th man on the ice, but what happens? This ****ing guy just jumps on without saying a word.

-He's always leaving people totally uncovered beside our net. That's basically why we lost last week, which happened to be our first playoff game, against the worst team in the division. So us wingers try and help out a bit infront of the net when that happens because in this beer league a cross crease pass is generally a sure goal and we'd rather the goalie face a point shot. So anyways what's this guy do when we go low? "Cover the point! the point guys! COME ONN!!!"

God he's frustrating.

/rant

Now tonight we have game 2 of the playoffs vs the same team, we have to beat them in regulation and then beat them in OT or shootout to win and move onto the next team. This teams pretty damn awful, they have like 3 pretty good players you gotta watch for, but an awful everything else. My teams not the best either, but we're not awful and have zero reason to lose this series. We killed them all season. My team has great offense, a decent goalie, but absolutely zero defense, which is what costs us a lot. But tonight I believe we're putting a couple forwards who can skate/pass back on D just to help ensure we get the win.

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Sleepy

12 is kinda the worst if you don't have great conditioned centers.

Less than 9 guys - you're screwed.
9 guys - 3D, 6F (2 lines)
10 guys - 4D, 6F
11 guys - 4D, 2 lines + floater (should float through all 6 positions without taking a shift off. He'll get half a shift off every 3 shifts, which makes ice-time fair and keeps everyone fresh)
12 guys - 4D, Either 2 Centers or 2 Wings. Depends on skill levels/conditioning. We normally go 2C.
13 guys - 4D, 9F (this is perfect)
14 guys - 5D, 9F (this sucks)
15 guys - 6D, 9F (this really really sucks)

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 12:23 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

It's funny you say that, because our beer league team only seems to win when he have fewer than 8 players. We had 7 guys last night, and one was in the box half the game and the other had to get his lip closed halfway through (errant high-stick). We ended up winning 4-3.

I don't think we have won a game with more than 10.

Hambone: how did that guy get on your team to begin with?

Old
08-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Hambone15

ArGarBarGar: It's an individuals team. In the summers My buddy and I play on an individuals team of random players just because we want to play. In the winter we play on an actual put together team that's a little more organized/better at hockey lol

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 04:44 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone15 View Post
ArGarBarGar: It's an individuals team. In the summers My buddy and I play on an individuals team of random players just because we want to play. In the winter we play on an actual put together team that's a little more organized/better at hockey lol
I like playing on the individual teams every so often, because they always seem like a crew of misfits, acting as underdogs competing against the organized teams. They usually suck, but I enjoy playing for them. Plus as a goalie, they usually are disorganized and suck, which means I get a TON of shots. I love it.

But the problem is that when issues do arise, there isn't a leadership core or unity among players that can help address problems like these. And, sometimes the individuals aren't on teams for a specific reason.

Try to reach out another player or two on your team that you can trust. Don't be afraid to sit him down and talk about his issues with line changes. Maybe elect someone to take on a coach's role and dictate changes for the rest of the team to keep things equitable for others.

As a goalie, I would be more than happy to chat with him about his issues in front of the net. Most players will at least try to honor the goalie's advice/request on how they would like plays handled.

With his powerplay issues, I'm assuming you guys don't have any rink time to yourself. Trying to run a quick drill during warmups is next to impossible, but I'd set up a PP/PK if you guys have a chance. Draw up a set play that gives him the puck, but the play requires him to pass it right off. Maybe a point to point to the half boards movement, so he touches it, but doesn't hold. That way he feels involved, but his involvement is minimal.

Other than that, it sounds like he's just a ****** player and a ****** person. Not much you can do about that.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Nibbler

vCash: 50
I had the puck, facing the ref, get high sticked, my head snaps back. The play goes to the offensive zone... I feel trickling immediately, show the blood to the ref and he just shakes his head and skates away, no call. Thanks man!

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
It's funny you say that, because our beer league team only seems to win when he have fewer than 8 players. We had 7 guys last night, and one was in the box half the game and the other had to get his lip closed halfway through (errant high-stick). We ended up winning 4-3.

I don't think we have won a game with more than 10.

Hambone: how did that guy get on your team to begin with?
Let me ask: is there a large skill disparity between the 5-7 good players and the other 5-7 players? A gap that's big enough to overcome significant additional fatigue?

Old
08-12-2014, 03:34 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Let me ask: is there a large skill disparity between the 5-7 good players and the other 5-7 players? A gap that's big enough to overcome significant additional fatigue?
One of the guys is a floater and kills us when he is out there (wasn't there for our last two wins). The others are capable but not who you expect to push the play every game. Perhaps I am not giving our best guys enough credit, though.

The one thing that may be an issue is chemistry. The regulars who are there every game tend to understand each other a little better, and it is possible guys who aren't always there mess with the flow.

Old
08-13-2014, 10:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I've been in a really bad slump the past 6 or 7 games.

Maybe its the summer ice (it ****ing sucks) but I just cant seem to get it together out there and its beginning to take on a life of its own. My skating has been alright (I've always felt is was a pretty strong skater but starting to doubt myself now). But my stickhandling and play around the puck has been downright awful. On several occasions last night I fumbled the puck, lost in my feet, whiffed on a pass, lost a perfect breakaway pass or flat out just gave it away with a stupid backhand pass to the point - 3 of which lead to goals against.

My confidence is really shot - and it doesnt help that im a 35 year old playing in a very good division that sports several teams with kids 18-26. I played in college so i know how to ****ing play. In practice and warmups i feel great and can do everything the way i want to, but in the game I feel like i have zero time. My career numbers are about a point a game and I'm always dominant in the faceoff circle (at least that's still there, every game) and pretty good defensively, but my battle level and skating ability with the puck just isnt in the right place. It doesnt help that my team consistently has 8-9 guys on the bench either. Im in decent shape but by the third period I can't sustain the jump needed to stay in plays and you can forget finishing them off. Especially with the younger legs out there.

I thought about dropping a level just to gain some confidence back against some "scrubs" but I dont want to let this slump get the best of me. About 3 weeks ago some 18 year old was running his mouth and i got really frustrated, leveled him illegally and got tossed - with a suspension. He deserved it to a degree, but thats not me. I need to find a way out of this, get back on the scoresheet and start having fun out there again. Thankfully I have another game tonight so i can get right back on the horse but man, last night was ****ing atrocious. I feel embarrassed just seeing my teammates again.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
One of the guys is a floater and kills us when he is out there (wasn't there for our last two wins). The others are capable but not who you expect to push the play every game. Perhaps I am not giving our best guys enough credit, though.

The one thing that may be an issue is chemistry. The regulars who are there every game tend to understand each other a little better, and it is possible guys who aren't always there mess with the flow.
Ah, yep good point. Chemistry is huge in beer league since there's usually very little coaching or system to force everyone to be on the same page.

Old
08-15-2014, 12:22 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I've been in a really bad slump the past 6 or 7 games....

...Any suggestions?
I recommend spending more time at S&P or even open skating to get back to your game.

I did a league 2 season recently and didn't understand how it could be fun for guys only playing that night. After warmups and cutting the ice after, let alone the stupid penalties the time goes by too fast. Players who you knew used to be more fluid in their hey-day appeared rushed, fumbling the puck, off their game.

At the the time I was living in hockey heaven- playing ice hockey on the lake, S&P sometimes during weekdays, a family pick-up skate, and the league on top of it. When I played for a team it was a space for me to show off/put into practice the things I'm fooling around with from multiple skates and scrimmages, all different age groups, etc. You just get in a groove when you're playing/practicing a lot.

Folks might totally disagree but I think if the only skate you're doing is 1 league game a week you are missing out on the real vibes and have little to offer. Again, spend more time on the practice pad, drop-ins, S&P, anything to re-discover your own game.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Nibbler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Check your equipment, your stick specifically. If might sound silly but I went though the same thing recently... I felt fine skating-wise, but my passes were all off, I was straight up losing the puck when I would stick handle, and my shot was garbage. I, like you, played at a high level growing up so I'm no slouch either. I only play 1-2 times a week now so I don't often tape my stick, and when I finally got around to it i noticed the toe of my stick was cracked.

I swapped out the blade and it was like I remembered how to play hockey again, night and day, it was crazy. Now I make sure I keep a closer eye on that stuff

If it's not your stick, then it's probably your confidence. Don't be so hard on yourself when you screw up, it just compounds the problem. If you can get to a skate and shoot the morning before a game that always helps me, I just go out and stick handle a bit, shoot some pucks, it might help you feel better during the game later.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 01:31 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

A guy is intentionally offsides. The ref continues to warn him. He continues to skate at me in the defensive zone. The ref blows the whistle and he two hands jabs in the nuts. No call. The ref says we are up 4-1 but he is a butthole.

Last edited by TheGreatOutlaw: 08-26-2014 at 07:16 PM.
TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
he is an butthole.
I see what you did there.

Old
08-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
I've been in a really bad slump the past 6 or 7 games.

Maybe its the summer ice (it ****ing sucks) but I just cant seem to get it together out there and its beginning to take on a life of its own. My skating has been alright (I've always felt is was a pretty strong skater but starting to doubt myself now). But my stickhandling and play around the puck has been downright awful. On several occasions last night I fumbled the puck, lost in my feet, whiffed on a pass, lost a perfect breakaway pass or flat out just gave it away with a stupid backhand pass to the point - 3 of which lead to goals against.

My confidence is really shot - and it doesnt help that im a 35 year old playing in a very good division that sports several teams with kids 18-26. I played in college so i know how to ****ing play. In practice and warmups i feel great and can do everything the way i want to, but in the game I feel like i have zero time. My career numbers are about a point a game and I'm always dominant in the faceoff circle (at least that's still there, every game) and pretty good defensively, but my battle level and skating ability with the puck just isnt in the right place. It doesnt help that my team consistently has 8-9 guys on the bench either. Im in decent shape but by the third period I can't sustain the jump needed to stay in plays and you can forget finishing them off. Especially with the younger legs out there.

I thought about dropping a level just to gain some confidence back against some "scrubs" but I dont want to let this slump get the best of me. About 3 weeks ago some 18 year old was running his mouth and i got really frustrated, leveled him illegally and got tossed - with a suspension. He deserved it to a degree, but thats not me. I need to find a way out of this, get back on the scoresheet and start having fun out there again. Thankfully I have another game tonight so i can get right back on the horse but man, last night was ****ing atrocious. I feel embarrassed just seeing my teammates again.

Any suggestions?
That's just it, you need to have fun with it. You're not in the NHL. The games don't matter much, though I know most people do want to win. I doubt your teammates are taking it personally. As long as you're trying out there, and not taking long shifts they'll get over it.

Just make the simple plays, and get some pucks on net. A goal or two will get your confidence back up.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:57 PM
devilsblood

Play on an Indy team and despite having double digit guys show for every game this season(while facing teams with 7 or so on avg) we have guys inviting more players to come play. And these are non paying guys. I know our goalie(who doesn't pay) invites guys in, and I think we even have invited guys(who didn't pay) inviting their buddies in.

Hate to be the grumpy old dude, so I keep it out of the locker room(but have expressed the lack of need via group text multiple times) but it's BS.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2014, 12:11 PM
BlueJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Play on an Indy team and despite having double digit guys show for every game this season(while facing teams with 7 or so on avg) we have guys inviting more players to come play. And these are non paying guys. I know our goalie(who doesn't pay) invites guys in, and I think we even have invited guys(who didn't pay) inviting their buddies in.

Hate to be the grumpy old dude, so I keep it out of the locker room(but have expressed the lack of need via group text multiple times) but it's BS.
Why should anyone (except maybe the goalie) be playing for free. We all pay to play. If I've paid my league fees and I'm sharing ice time with some guy who's out for free I'd be pissed.

BlueJazz is offline   Reply With Quote