HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
09-02-2014, 03:29 PM
MattGTI

vCash: 500
Same here.

I am fortunate to have a great bunch of guys. We've been playing together since last november. We don't even have to announce lines before every game. Everyone knows where they are going, and in the event that someone is out, everyone knows who is sliding and where. Its quite easy to be honest. Also, if someone wants to try a new position, like a winger wanting to play D, all they have to do is ask. Everyone seems to know where they are best, and if it doesn't work out, they just go back to their old position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
It doesn't have to, and having consistent lines is common sense and less of a burden. By the time we roll into the playoffs I just have to say, "Anyone not know where they are playing?" and everyone shakes their head. Easy.

Of course, you are at the mercy of the group you've assembled, I got pretty lucky but I also chose a group of players who aren't **** heads.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
wils5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Same here.

I am fortunate to have a great bunch of guys. We've been playing together since last november. We don't even have to announce lines before every game. Everyone knows where they are going, and in the event that someone is out, everyone knows who is sliding and where. Its quite easy to be honest. Also, if someone wants to try a new position, like a winger wanting to play D, all they have to do is ask. Everyone seems to know where they are best, and if it doesn't work out, they just go back to their old position.
^^^ his team is a well oiled team anchored by fine defensive play

wils5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 03:56 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
^^^ his team is a well oiled team anchored by fine defensive play
Oh yeah? The how come your team has a 1 game edge in head to head meetings?

Old
09-02-2014, 03:59 PM
wils5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Oh yeah? The how come your team has a 1 game edge in head to head meetings?
Because you talked me into a come back after 20 years

Old
09-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Cigar City

15 minute periods. 2 Forward lines for this particular game. Get my first shift at 12:00, get off at 9:15.

Teammate on the other line gives us the "You guys need to get off, you were on for 3 minutes!"

I know it was a long shift, but math.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 08:31 PM
NeutralityEleven

vCash: 833
Send a message via AIM to NeutralityEleven
My apologies, guy I've never met, for not delivering a 35 foot backhand sauce between two defenseman directly onto your tape. I appreciate your icy glazed over stare during my attempt to communicate.

Beers are on me tonight, except you, dick.

NeutralityEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 11:20 PM
wils5150

Beers are on me tonight, except you, dick.

best line ever

Old
09-03-2014, 04:37 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
that's true.

but also, some people have clued into the key to success in adult safe, and that is to have your best skating, most skilled players on defense. they lead the way offensively and defensively that way, and at such a low level it's rare you have players supremely skilled offensively that can't put those same skills to work on the blueline. This keeps their point totals (and especially goal totals) down while making the team better. The other way to look at it is, where do you want your worst players? at forward, where they will be less exploitable. once you've admitted that, then it follows that your BEST players should be on defense.... anyway, I'm rambling now but the point is that a formula based on points isn't foolproof. Admittedly, nor is watching the games, but I watch games from the bench all the time and it's so bloody easy to pick out the 3-4 players on each team who simply don't belong. (and yes, if you came back and said that by the end of the season they're the 3-4 players with 2-3 points per game, I wouldn't disagree, it usually turns out that way)
That's what I experienced last season, playing defense for the first time on a beginners team. We had a guy that was one of the top scorers in the division via good stickhandling and shooting, but we didn't win a lot and he could be shut down. It's not bad to have a guy like that on your team, someone experienced to help the new guys out. But on the other hand the guys who were the real problem were the ones who could skate through your entire team at will. Our div's top team had 3 of these guys playing defense, they'll hot dog it a lot so they may not put up as many points but they really control the flow of the game.

It was frustrating because there was literally nothing I could do when one of them grabbed the puck in their end and decided to skate it into our zone.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 06:14 PM
WickedWinger
Rookie User

So my team is dwindling down even further next season. At the end of last season we lost an entire line of players due to various reasons and next season we're losing two more players. It wouldn't be as bad if we could recruit more players. Unfortunately, our captain doesn't want anymore players because he's enjoying all the extra ice time he's getting. So next season we all have to pay a lot more to play and we're only going to have one forward line with two subs and one d line with one sub.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 10:57 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
So my team is dwindling down even further next season. At the end of last season we lost an entire line of players due to various reasons and next season we're losing two more players. It wouldn't be as bad if we could recruit more players. Unfortunately, our captain doesn't want anymore players because he's enjoying all the extra ice time he's getting. So next season we all have to pay a lot more to play and we're only going to have one forward line with two subs and one d line with one sub.
so 8 plus a goalie wow thaht is absolutely brutal

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2014, 04:01 AM
WickedWinger
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
so 8 plus a goalie wow thaht is absolutely brutal
One more forward player would be fine. At least then we'd have two full lines and wouldn't have all the confusion during line changes.

We played a couple games this season with one line and one sub. By the third period it got pretty hostile on our bench. One guy dead on his feet skates over to the bench only to have the guy refuse to change with him because he just came out himself. So you look over and see two guys FROM YOUR OWN TEAM screaming at each other while the pucks still in play over who's more tired. It was kind of embarrassing.

Old
09-04-2014, 06:31 AM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
That's crazy. We skate 13(meaning we have 13 full time players that pay), and our goalie doesn't pay.
I don't think I could talk most of the guys into playing with that many. The cost would just be too much, as most of us play in 2 leagues year round(and half of us are on each team).

As far as ice time goes, everyone is really good about changing on nights that we have 3 full F lines, and 2 D lines. If I get notice that somebody is going to be out, we adjust accordingly. I let everyone know, and we go from there. We don't use pickups a lot.

Old
09-04-2014, 05:31 PM
WickedWinger
Rookie User

don't understand why people would pay several hundred dollars for the season only to not show up for half the games. That's been the story with our team since day one. People just coming and going when they felt like it, without any notice at all. Our last goalie quit half way through the last season, without saying a word to Anyone. When we finally did get into contact with him, we were all genuinely worried about him, he said "I just don't feel like playing anymore." And that was it.

Idk, I just think that even in rec league, you still have a responsibility to your team to at least shoot a text to the Cap. Saying your not going to b there. I can't remember the last time everyone showed up to a game. Now with our core group getting even smaller , I wouldn't be surprised if we end up having to forfeit a game or two next season due to lack of players.

Old
09-05-2014, 01:28 AM
MegaAlf

I'm in a bit of an awkward position. My first season back was this summer after 15 years of not playing competitively. I never missed a game this season although almost everyone on my team missed at least one game except the goalie. It was annoying having players sporadically showing up. We generally had 8-9 guys show up including the goalie.

Now I might be in the position where I'm the guy not showing up. I signed up for the Fall session but I might have to move with my job leaving me with only playing about a 1/4 of the games and leaving my team short a player most of the season. If I drop about before the 1st game this week and my transfer request doesn't go through then I'm stuck not playing an entire season. Any recommendations?

MegaAlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 10:55 AM
OpenIceHit42

Had a guy cross check me in the throat Thursday night in front of the net, I reach for his stick to get it out of my face as his hands were up too and I ended up grabbing the back of his helmet and pulling it off. We each get 2 for roughing and receive a game misconduct for pulling his helmet off and now facing a 2 game suspension yet he gets off with only 2 minutes for a vicious high cross check.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2014, 10:04 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Got roster checked before a playoff game against a team we lost to during the regular season 7-0 and 5-1. Just hilarious.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2014, 01:30 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Here's frustration for you: Broke both of my sticks during pickup last week. My GoalieMonkey shipment is scheduled to be delivered today by the end of the day. My game tonight is at 6:00. Will the sticks get here in time? IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Jackson12

only had 5 people on my show up for our game yesterday...

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Here's frustration for you: Broke both of my sticks during pickup last week. My GoalieMonkey shipment is scheduled to be delivered today by the end of the day. My game tonight is at 6:00. Will the sticks get here in time? IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.
Replace "broken sticks" with "broken goal mask", and I had that happen back in March. I think I broke the F5 button on my keyboard.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 11:13 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

Last night championship game in OT. I go for a loose buck behind the net playing D. The opposing forward throws his shoulder into mine from the side/blindside( inadvertently according to ref). My other shoulder hits the glass then the ice. I can't move it . I had to be helped off the ice because my right shoulder/arm couldn't really move. We end up winning and team held the cup for me while i drank some victory beers. Guy apologizes and said he feels bad after the game. Go to the ER and doctor says I tore my AC joint. Shouldn't need surgery and will heal up in a month, but I need to see a special to verify this. First major injury in 19 years of hockey. I guess I was due for one.

Last edited by TheGreatOutlaw: 09-09-2014 at 01:09 PM.
TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2014, 11:29 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Replace "broken sticks" with "broken goal mask", and I had that happen back in March. I think I broke the F5 button on my keyboard.
Oh my god, I would not have been able to handle that. My sticks ending up arriving at my door sometime during the 2nd period, but I ended up just being a relatively decent stick at the pro-shop. Was surprisingly reasonably priced and I ended up liking the stick. Not too much harm done.

A mask though? Jesus, you can't just pick up a spare beforehand. I would have been a wreck.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 08:24 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Guys who don't show up are the worst.

Played a team that we should have rolled, but we had 5 guys the entire game and didn't have the jump at the end of the game to do anything.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 03:04 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

vCash: 50
tbh since hockey is ridiculously expensive, I don't mind the late games where half the team shows up, more ice time.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Pacifist Goon

I'm not fussed about no shows, as long as there's a team, for pretty much the same reason. Got to have some bench though so as not having to cruise or pace through the game.

I'd prefer to train hard and play harder and more seriously, with everyone turning up and having practised together, but if you're not chasing a title or worrying about one, the better the value for money if others don 't show.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote