HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that Lundqvist is coming over

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2005, 03:56 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Now that Lundqvist is coming over

what are the thoughts regarding Montoya. Mine are that he should sign and join Henke in Hartford. The basis for my wanting him in Hartford is two fold. First Mich has graduated a large number of Srs and the makeup of the squad would tend to lean towards a rebuilding year. That said, the Mich defense was poor last year with AJ Thelin(sp) helping that along. I see a down side if he stays because if they get off to a bad start, or Montoya has a bad start, it is the perfect excuse for the coach to insert his future goalie into the rotation and therefore, Montonya, could end up will significant less playing time. The 2nd part is that we now have a quality goaltending coach and I think that Montoya would greatly benefit from working with Benoit Allaire. I don't know if his soft year last year was due solely to his defense, a let down on his part, or a combination.

I feel the same way about Jessiman. I don't care if they dominate the college level in their Sr year. I ran this thought by a buddy of mine who played at Mich and he agreed that if an organization had a need at the position the player should move on, especially if they are staying flat in their development. It would be another thing if we were stacked at the position, then I would say let them stay. Both Jessiman and Montoya are top prospects and they both have a legimate chance of making the NHL and doing well. They have to decide where their future is. To me it is obvious, they need to get on with the next stage of their development.

Old
06-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Barnaby

I would bring Monty over, but leave Jessiman. His sophmore year was mediocre, and he missed basically all of last year. I'd hate to see him come over just to spend time in Charlotte. I say leave in in Dartmouth, let him be the go-to-guy and get his degree. I think it's better for him and the organization. If he wouldn't make the jump last season, I don't see why he would now.

As for Montoya he should be with a good goalie coach playing within an actual system. Michigan seems like they have a rebuild of sorts and considering how he was put on the spot last year, God knows how bad it could be for him. 40 games is still not less then he'd get at school. He can entirely focus on hockey, I just don't see much improvement coming at Michigan. Lundy will probably be up by January so he'll probably end up with 50 games easy considering the playoffs as well. It may also help him working with an experienced goalie like Lundvqvist... I'm sure he could pick up some good things. A little healthy competition also helps as well

Old
06-02-2005, 04:58 PM
bigblue21

I say leave Montoya at Michigan. First of all, his playing time is not going to be reduced because of the introduction of a 'new' goaltender. UMich does not have rebuilding years, nor would they tolerate one. They are gunning for the CCHA/NCAA championships as usual and will be very good once again. The entire UMich community would be in an uproar if Montoya's time in net was taken away by a new, unproven netminder. Secondly, while I agree that competition is good, ice time is also important as well. Montoya will start every game for UMich, giving him 40+. Lundqvist needs his fair share of games in Hartford, since he is used to shouldering such a heavy load at Frolunda.

And by the way, AJ Thelen played for Mich State, not UMich.

Old
06-02-2005, 05:41 PM
NYRangers

Montoya is staying at college. There was a link about it somewhere a month or two ago.

Old
06-02-2005, 06:11 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Montoya is staying at college. There was a link about it somewhere a month or two ago.
if there was then that link was 10000% wrong because montoya hasn't made a decision yet.

Old
06-02-2005, 06:12 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Like NYR469 said, then that was 100% wrong. I read a week ago hes still hasnt decided.

This is from 1 week ago:

Quote:
"I'm obviously still considering my options," Montoya said. "I think it would stupid of me – summer is here and I have time to make a decision on what's best for me and what's best for the team. There will come a day when I have to make a decision but right now…there is no NHL and this is the only place to be so I have no choice in the matter at this time. But if that day ever does come where I have to make a decision I'll think long and hard because it's something I need time with.

"I'd like to tell the Michigan coaches as soon as possible but as unclear as the NHL is right now, it's really tough to make a decision. I know this team will be fine with or without me but the respect that I have for these coaches and players, I owe them something. I feel a lot of people understand my situation so they're not pressuring me to decide right away. It's a tough position to be in right now."
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=420038

Old
06-02-2005, 06:12 PM
NYR469

if there is a nhl season then i'd want lundqvist in ny and montoya in hartford...but finding them both playing time in hartford together might be too tough

Old
06-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
if there is a nhl season then i'd want lundqvist in ny and montoya in hartford...but finding them both playing time in hartford together might be too tough
Might as well throw Henke out into the fire right away...it's not like he hasnt faced these guys yet anyway. Plus, i dont want Monty and Henke splitting time in Hartford.

Old
06-02-2005, 06:18 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Might as well throw Henke out into the fire right away...it's not like he hasnt faced these guys yet anyway. Plus, i dont want Monty and Henke splitting time in Hartford.
lundqvist will be in ny if there is a season and it won't simply be 'throwing him in the fire' it will be because he is better then all the other goalies in camp. but if the lockout is continuing then ny isn't an option and he'd be forced to hartford.

Old
06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Barnaby

Dont know about just throwing him out there. If hes ready then great, but if your not sure then start him in Hartford. Take your time where he'll have a little more room for error. He could work with Allaire and get his confidence up before jumping. I dont know why everyone is so against them splitting the load. They both play in practice, they both work with Allaire, they both push each other, and I'm sure Lundy will find his way to NYR by the half point which means Montoya at the very least would start the same amount of games he did with Michigan, and probably more. In addition he actually has a strong system, and plays against professional shooters. This is the type of team that he'll be in front of for years to come, not run and gun hockey where he's left out to dry. I really don't see what else he can prove at Michigan. I feel like it would be a wasted season.

Old
06-02-2005, 08:54 PM
DarthSather99

Monty should go back to Michigan. He WILL get the majority of minutes. Michigan's coach already said that he doesn't understand why Montoya hasn't made the EASY decision of returning to Michigan. The coach WANTS HIM. He will play. Michigan will still have a great team, Monty is still young 20? and has lots of work ahead before heading into the NHL. There should be no rush on getting him to play pro. He should prove last year was a fluke and concentrate 100% on playing consistent NCAA hockey. Jessiman is a no brainer also, go back to college. Let Lundy get the major minutes in Hartford. Lundy should be starting for us in 2006-2007.

Old
06-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Monty should go back to Michigan. He WILL get the majority of minutes. Michigan's coach already said that he doesn't understand why Montoya hasn't made the EASY decision of returning to Michigan. The coach WANTS HIM. He will play. Michigan will still have a great team, Monty is still young 20? and has lots of work ahead before heading into the NHL. There should be no rush on getting him to play pro. He should prove last year was a fluke and concentrate 100% on playing consistent NCAA hockey. Jessiman is a no brainer also, go back to college. Let Lundy get the major minutes in Hartford. Lundy should be starting for us in 2006-2007.
He will obviously play... but what is left for him to learn? He's proven himself. He even took his team pretty damn far last year when he was left out to dry constantly. What can he gain from constant odd man rushes. Get him a goalie coach, an NHL type system, and let him face professional shooters. It's not to rush him, it's just the next logical step. He has nothing left to prove.

Old
06-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Onion Boy

I only bring Montoya to Hartford if Lundqvist makes the Rangers. I would definately not want both with the Pack at the same time. I don't like the idea of juggling our two best goalie prospects. Give Montoya a year to rebound in Michigan. Poor defense is no excuse for the way he played if you watched him at all last season.

Old
06-02-2005, 09:38 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Barnaby makes a good point... Montoya can earn as many minutes in Hartford (although you can argue that it would take Ludquist's time).

Also, if Montoya's 20 and he hasn't put up a above season amoungst his peers, it spells trouble for the rangers prospect. Fortunately he's only 19.

Edit: Oppss I was wrong... he is 20... humm... that really isn't good for him. .895 sv% is marginal at best... here's hoping he does .950+ next season.

Old
06-02-2005, 10:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
What is Montoya going to learn by going back to Michigan?He got the majority of the minutes this past season.Big deal.Al needs a new challenge.He wants the new challenge

Old
06-02-2005, 10:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Look at the first professional seasons put up by Kari Lehtonen,Hannu Toivonen and Cam Ward.All former first round picks.Lehtonen and Toivonen are ready for the NHL after two pro seasons.Ward will probably return to the AHL for a second season next fall.No reason why Al Montoya can't play 35-40 AHL games as a first year pro instead of remaining in a holding pattern at Michigan

Old
06-02-2005, 10:16 PM
NYR469

Quote:
something to keep in mind about montoya though is the fact that last summer he wanted to turn pro. he didn't want to go back to school but then he let his mom, red berenson and others talk him into it. then his play all year screamed "i should have turned pro" as if he was just going thru the motions, unchallenged regretting his decision.

if he wants to go back thats fine, but i'd hate to see him waste a year if his heart and mind are into turning pro but he is just doing what others are saying is the 'best thing'

Old
06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
Barnaby makes a good point... Montoya can earn as many minutes in Hartford (although you can argue that it would take Ludquist's time).

Also, if Montoya's 20 and he hasn't put up a above season amoungst his peers, it spells trouble for the rangers prospect. Fortunately he's only 19.

Edit: Oppss I was wrong... he is 20... humm... that really isn't good for him. .895 sv% is marginal at best... here's hoping he does .950+ next season.
As usual, stats aren't close to the whole story. He has some consistency issues, but mostly thats basically constant odd man rushes. No way even HL does .950 with that crap. Michigan will be even worse this year. Montoya needs to start playing professional style against professional player. This run and gun garbage will do nothing for his development. Let Allaire help him work towards what he needs to be succesful in the NHL.

Old
06-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
As usual, stats aren't close to the whole story. He has some consistency issues, but mostly thats basically constant odd man rushes. No way even HL does .950 with that crap. Michigan will be even worse this year. Montoya needs to start playing professional style against professional player. This run and gun garbage will do nothing for his development. Let Allaire help him work towards what he needs to be succesful in the NHL.
You're right, stats don't tell the whole story. Montoya played much worse than his stats indicate and would not have come away with nearly as many wins as he did if not for Michigan's offense. You can't blame his goals against on odd-man rushes. The way Montoya played in the WJCs I feel is more or less indicative of his play all year. He just did not look comfortable in net at all. Period. He made simple saves look awkward and would end up flopping around quite a bit. Quite frankly, Montoya is not ready for pro hockey. He would get lit up next year, even behind McGill's defense.

BTW, how is Michigan's defense worse this year? I don't really follow graduations and recruitments that much, but they are adding Johnson and Mitera. That's quite a boost.

Old
06-03-2005, 10:12 AM
faucon

How good will be the team in Hartford next year to supporte Lundqvist ? This point is really important for his development.

I don't know this team (Hartford) but I REALLY LIKE Lundqvist.

Someone in this thread is probably able to give me some informations about that.

Thanks

Old
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
NYIsles1*

Not a single word about Dan Blackburn? If he is not retiring they need to find a place for him to play unless they are going to outright cut him.

Old
06-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
I don't know all about the Rangers system, but it seems you have a lot of goalies at the moment.

IF Montoya decides to join Hartford, how will the goalie situation look like?

There are four spots, two in NY and two in Hartford. Henrik Lundqvist and Al Montoya will take two. I assume Jason Larbarbera will take one of the others.

Then you got Mike Dunham and Jamie McLennan, how are the contract situations on them?

And how is Dan Blackburn doing after his injures?

Old
06-03-2005, 10:33 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Everyone is making valid points, for and against

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
You're right, stats don't tell the whole story. Montoya played much worse than his stats indicate and would not have come away with nearly as many wins as he did if not for Michigan's offense. You can't blame his goals against on odd-man rushes. The way Montoya played in the WJCs I feel is more or less indicative of his play all year. He just did not look comfortable in net at all. Period. He made simple saves look awkward and would end up flopping around quite a bit. Quite frankly, Montoya is not ready for pro hockey. He would get lit up next year, even behind McGill's defense.

BTW, how is Michigan's defense worse this year? I don't really follow graduations and recruitments that much, but they are adding Johnson and Mitera. That's quite a boost.
but I still keep coming back to 2 issues, where is the challenge for him in college and isn't it far better to work with Allaire, a top golaie coach, who will prepare him for the next step? I think that if you are a prospect and your goal in the major pro league, you take the next step. Someone also wrote a very valid understanding of his play last season. I think the poster hit the nail on the head when they said that they thought that he had made up his mind to turn pro and that berenson & his mom changed his mind. It should would explain why his play was so inconsistant. He looked very distracted and it very well may have been that he didn't want to be there. If true, then he needs to make the decision, it is his life and he has to be comfortable with making his choices.

Old
06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Fletch

From what was said..

by some Michigan fans he kept them in more games than his stats would indicate. He gave his team a chance to win, while his defense left him out to dry. I agree about the WJCs, he definitely looked shaky, albeit behind what was also a pretty shaky defense. The entire team looked tense. But it's one season and the kid's still only 20 years old.

Old
06-03-2005, 12:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Not a single word about Dan Blackburn? If he is not retiring they need to find a place for him to play unless they are going to outright cut him.
Blackburn is pretty much done.

Closed Thread