HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...prospects.html

Old
06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Kinda makes every prospect sound like they should be in contention for 1st overall...

Old
06-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/draftstats.htm?team=MTL

One would think our own site should get it right, no ?

Old
06-27-2013, 12:13 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Quote:
I really like what I read about Geersten, Compher, Pesce, Zykov, De La Rose, Heatherington and Morin.

These are guys that may be available dor us with any of our first 4 picks.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

I won't believe we actually own the pick until we pick somebody with it. Just doesn't make any sense. Unless the conditions or the trade itself was misreported.

If we do actually own it...well I'm ecstatic.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Don't take solely my word for it.....but if Zykov would have skating problems are concerns, no matter who writes it professionnally, you wouldn't see reports like this one...And Button who had Zykov a 4 out of 5 for his skating.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...prospects.html

Valentin Zykov, RW – Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)
“Big-bodied guy, pretty weighty. Good puck skills and puck protection. Great shot, good release, very good skater. He has a lot of pro attributes, he’s a pretty attractive prospect.”

There are others great small reports on tons of players in that article. Have fun.

Oops...sorry didn't see Monctonscout post....

Old
06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I really like what I read about Geersten, Compher, Pesce, Zykov, De La Rose, Heatherington and Morin.

sounds way too early for a guy like Geersten

Old
06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Ugh now Vannelli is an incredible athlete. I have a feeling TT will be all over that. Really hope he isn't taken at 25.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Ugh now Vannelli is an incredible athlete. I have a feeling TT will be all over that. Really hope he isn't taken at 25.
maybe at #34 or 36 as a "swing for the fences" type pick...25 I expect a forward with some size or a high character guy(Hartman/Rychel).

Old
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post

I have such a great feeling for Heatherington. Kid will be a stud. Same for Compher.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Tinordi Ruxpin
Hey, C'mon Let's Go!

Very much have been enjoying reading this board! Thought I would finally chime in.

To me MacKinnon is the clear cut #1 prospect in this draft. I acknowledge Seth Jone's greatness, but the impact is just not there to be taken #1. I think Drouin is slightly overrated. I am a big Barkov fan. I don't think I could take Lindholm in the Top 5 and be happy with that. Nichushkin is the biggest wild card in this draft. Could emerge as the best prospect, could be a lifetime KHL'er.

I truly love the defensemen in this draft. Big and mobile. Lots of depth there too.

Even though my favorite target at #25 is Kerby Rychel, I think it's less and less likely he will be around. I have also given into the fact that Sam Morin will not be around as he has continued to climb draft boards over the past several months.

Picks I do not like at #25: Josh Morrissey (lack of size), Zach Fucale (lack of need), Frederik Gauthier (lack of production), Anthony Mantha (lack of competitiveness), Andre Burkovsky (Lack of production), Nick Petan (lack of size)

Guys I would be happy with at #25: Valtnin Zykov, Emile Poirier (would be thrilled at #34, but happy at #25), Adam Erne (lacks a "Wow Factor" but is still talented).

Guys I would happy with at #34 & #36: Ryan Hartman (not skilled enough to go at #25), Morgan Klimchuk, Chris Bigras, Madison Bowey, Ian McCoshen, and Jacob De La Rose.

Guys I would be happy with at #55: Justin Bailey, William Carrier, Tristan Jarry, Jordan Subban (I agree, if his last name wasn't Subban I would not have him here. BUT his last name IS Subban - Could come into play for PK's next contract).

I am not a proponent of trading up, but if the value was right, I would trade up for Bo Horvat and possibly even Curtis Lazar, although to me, Horvat has more upside.

Can't Wait until Sunday!!

Old
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
^^ Good stuff, not much in there I don't agree with. And welcome to the board

Old
06-27-2013, 12:30 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
maybe at #34 or 36 as a "swing for the fences" type pick...25 I expect a forward with some size or a high character guy(Hartman/Rychel).
I hope so. I have no problem with Vannelli, I just don't think he's a first rounder and I know how Timmins loves certain guys. Plus he has an excuse to pick the guy he wants as people keep saying it's the same talent from 15-40.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Curtis Lazar, for me, would indeed end up being a very good 3rd liner. Not sure I want to move up for that. And not sure where there's a lack of size in Morrissey. Not as big as all the 6'3'' that are in this draft, but he might end up 6'1'' 195 when all is said and done....That can't be bad for a guy who brings everything to the table.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:32 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:

I am pumped that we might have a 4th round pick. Those conditions must have been mis-reported.

Wow, now who can we get at 116???

Old
06-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I am pumped that we might have a 4th round pick. Those conditions must have been mis-reported.

It would please me immensely as most of my picks I put for our last 2 rounds are way too good to be picked that late....so most people on that list could be picked up in the 4th. Or anybody prior who falls from the first 3....I still don't see how that's possible though.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Who really cares? Make your own assessment. When I first started to be interested in the upcoming draft I watched the U18 Championships to see a good cross section of the players who would be available, particularly since Montreal had 4 picks in the first two rounds and I had been following the draft since its inception in the late 1960s. While watching the U18's one of the players that caught my eye was Morin. When I learned that the 'experts' had ranked him between 30 and 50 of the upcoming draft, my first thought was 'wow', if there are at least 30 players better than this kid this is going to be the best draft in the history of the NHL draft. But my own research quickly led me to the conclusion that this kid had far better potential than almost every player I was able to watch (which was most of the supposed top 20). I began to post that if we could draft Morin at 25 it would be a coup and that if we could just draft him, our draft would be successful regardless of who else we drafted. I was pilloried on this august board for my droning like insistence that Morin would, unfortunately, not be available at 25. It now appears that the 'experts' are in agreement with me. The point is, who cares what the pundits and commentators say. Make your own assessment and don't simply parrot the current trend espoused by the so-called experts. McGwire is no different. He thinks it's a weak draft. So what.
You need only go back to early in the season or these threads to see that when Morin wasn't rated or really high 3rd round. That was when I started the cry to choose Morin, it was obvious he had 1st round talent even then. Within a couple of weeks he KOed Etcheverry and became big news, soon after Bergevin and Crew were out to see Rimouski play. This happened long before the Lockout ended, so it really hasn't been a secret how much potential Morin has since the beginning of the season.

Anyone that considers the media scouting as valid is lost. I'm sure quite a few of them wouldn't know the difference between Gretzky and Phil Kessel unless the names were on their jerseys.

Hockey is a sport, anyone that either watches the game and loves it or has played organized hockey and loved the game, can tell the difference between a good player and a poor player. Then they can also tell the player that loves the game and plays like that compared with a player that simply plays for pay. After that point it gets a little trickier, but the more one watches and experiences regular season play and playoff hockey, they learn to separate the better players again.

It's not rocket science like one of the NHLers said sometime in the last month, no truer words have been spoken and can be applied to the Amateur Draft IMHO. Pierre McGuire would have everyone think he's a genius about analyzing hockey prospects, when some people call him a blowhard, no truer words have been spoken. IMHO.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Quote:
sounds way too early for a guy like Geersten
At #55? I think Geersten and Pesce would be decent picks at that spot. Maybe #71 would be better but he would be a bad pick in the late 2nd.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

And the strangest thing continues....even on the Isles official page, no sign of pick 116th.....Yet, they don't seem to be quite reliable as the rest of their order is wrong by 1 pick.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672241

Old
06-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post

Maybe...look at the picks of the Islanders...

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/drafts...m=NYI&year=All

Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
If we do have that 4th, it gives us more freedom to sacrifice a 2nd or a 3rd to move up too.

Old
Shutdown

Quote:

Or the other team's site

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/drafts...eam=NYI&supl=N

edit: Guess I was late

Last edited by Shutdown: 06-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

And look at the OFFICIAL NHL Press release....

How the heck is that happening?

https://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/stat...545536/photo/1

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

https://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/stat...545536/photo/1

From official NHL release.

Old
kyle44

Further evidence: @Dave_Stubbs: NHL draft order, before trades, suitable for printing & armchair use (2 of 3) #pndraft http://t.co/cqG41rVWtj

Closed Thread