HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green

Old
06-24-2013, 09:18 PM
thecapsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davieglove34 View Post
The Caps would have been wise to deal Ribeiro before the deadline to get picks and prospects to go along with a core of OV, Backstrom, Green, Alzner, etc. and an up-and-coming group of Kuzy, Tom Wilson, Forsberg.

Instead, they chose to try to go for it in a desperation move that GMGM made because he knows his time is coming to an end soon if the Caps aren't in for a deep run within the next year or so, and had the same results as in years past.

This team just has too much haunting playoff history and some fresh faces might help to counter that
Sadly I think you're wrong. As long as they're making the playoffs and Leonosis's sell out streak of hundreds keeps accumulating I don't think GMGM is going anywhere, as stupid as some of his moves are.

In addition to having should have traded McRibs for picks & prospects (especially with a draft of this depth) he should have gotten rid of Schultz through having other teams bid picks/prospects, taken the best deal on him, and he should have done the same with Schultz as Hamrlik, instead of just putting a shutdown defenseman on Waiver Wire, when you could get maybe at least a 2nd Rnd. Pick for him.

thecapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:22 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE LACK View Post
The last 2 seasons, Kesler has played more games than Backstrom...
Yet Nick did actually have only one injury.

No way we trade any of the two. Green is the only D who can pass the puck flat. Backstrom is the only C who can play top-6 level offense.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:28 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohnson View Post
Kesler + 24 for Backstrom
Nope.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
txpd

Quote:
The Caps would have been wise to deal Ribeiro before the deadline to get picks and prospects to go along with a core of OV, Backstrom, Green, Alzner, etc. and an up-and-coming group of Kuzy, Tom Wilson, Forsberg.

Instead, they chose to try to go for it in a desperation move that GMGM made because he knows his time is coming to an end soon if the Caps aren't in for a deep run within the next year or so, and had the same results as in years past.

This team just has too much haunting playoff history and some fresh faces might help to counter that
1. when was the last time a playoff team on the fence of making it traded a front line pending ufa for futures? McPhee did that when he traded adam oates and the resulting reaction of the remaining players was ugly. this is why it doesn't happen.

2. desperate gm's in most cases don't operate on their own. they have superiors that sign off on their moves. I am fairly certain that leonsis would have nixed throwing in the towel and would have nixed a colburn for zhitnk deal as well.

3. I agree about the playoff history, but the two points above you make are clear misses.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapsfan View Post
Throw in David Musil and it's a done deal.

Kesler is injured way too much.
Done deal. Value wise. Haha.

Example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
trick9

vCash: 50
I'm not sure if i would be disappointed or relieved if one of those 2 got traded. I mean they are great players but they have already disappointed me so many times in the playoffs that maybe change is needed, and to do that you will need to give up on valuable assets. Ovechkin will never get traded no matter what because he brings way too much money to Ted and he has rarely disappointed in the playoffs.

Teams would need to overpay badly to get either of them so it propably won't happen atleast for now.

trick9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:04 PM
davieglove34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
1. when was the last time a playoff team on the fence of making it traded a front line pending ufa for futures? McPhee did that when he traded adam oates and the resulting reaction of the remaining players was ugly. this is why it doesn't happen.

2. desperate gm's in most cases don't operate on their own. they have superiors that sign off on their moves. I am fairly certain that leonsis would have nixed throwing in the towel and would have nixed a colburn for zhitnk deal as well.

3. I agree about the playoff history, but the two points above you make are clear misses.
1. McPhee has done that before, shipping out the likes of Jagr, Oates, Bondra, etc. and the ending results were the #1 overall pick in '04 (Alex Ovechkin), and 2 more 1st round picks that year (Jeff Schultz (miss) and Mike Green), an extra 1st round pick in '05 (Joe Finley (miss)), an extra 1st rounder in '06 (Semyon Varlomov), and an extra 1st rounder in '08 (John Carlson). Clearly cutting some talent loose in hopes of attaining picks and prospects can work which leads me to point 2...

2. True, desperate GMs don't operate on their own. But Leonsis needs to make some very important decisions that will decide the fate of this franchise for the next 4-6 years. He needs to decide if he is willing to part ways with some of the talent (Mike Ribeiro, although now it's too late) he has/had here in hopes of building around his core. Just look at Chicago who had to part with the likes of Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Laad, Anti Niemi, Kris Versteeg, and our own Troy Brouwer after winning their first Cup. Now they have restocked and just won another Cup while the Caps can't make it out of the 2nd round.

davieglove34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Roof Daddy

As an Oil fan I'd be very interested in Backstrom. 7th overall + Gagner + Musil?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:48 PM
txpd

1. McPhee did it before with oates and the result was a disaster. the jagr, bondra fire sale was selling off from a last place team, not a team sitting in a playoff spot. get it right.

2. if you are suggesting that the caps should be blown up and sold off and start from scratch, that just aint gonna happen.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:59 PM
davieglove34

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. How many years in a row does the team have to lose in the 1st 2 rounds until your sick of it. I love the way that this team is made up and no one is denying the talent on this roster. Aside from a stupid trade (Martin Erat), this team was constructed very well but I personally believe the mental make-up of this team has suffered from its past playoff performances and sometimes, relationships get stale and stagnant. I would wait 1 more year under Oates to see what happens but another early playoff exit and I think you have no choice but to make some drastic changes

davieglove34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. How many years in a row does the team have to lose in the 1st 2 rounds until your sick of it. I love the way that this team is made up and no one is denying the talent on this roster. Aside from a stupid trade (Martin Erat), this team was constructed very well but I personally believe the mental make-up of this team has suffered from its past playoff performances and sometimes, relationships get stale and stagnant. I would wait 1 more year under Oates to see what happens but another early playoff exit and I think you have no choice but to make some drastic changes
I've never understood the attempts to apply the insanity quote to topics outside of a strictly controlled environment. The Caps changed coaches and implemented a completely new system, brought in an actual 2C, had another year of development from young players, etc. The end result was the same, but the path they took to get there was different.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:14 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Caps look like they're doing pretty good on cap space, no?

Grigorenko
Stafford
Sekera
16th ovr

for Backstrom

Caps get a younger Backstrom-esque center in Grigs, Top-6 big wing in Stafford, and Top-4 2 way D-man in Sekera, along with a decent pick. Value is fair I think, but I'm foreseeing many no's anyways.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:51 AM
HockeyTS32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Caps look like they're doing pretty good on cap space, no?

Grigorenko
Stafford
Sekera
16th ovr

for Backstrom

Caps get a younger Backstrom-esque center in Grigs, Top-6 big wing in Stafford, and Top-4 2 way D-man in Sekera, along with a decent pick. Value is fair I think, but I'm foreseeing many no's anyways.

NO, they do not. They only have $6M or so in cap space and they still need to resign Alzner and Mojo.

Then the caps need to use whatever the remaining cap space is (+the schultz buyout hopefully) to go after a 2C. There is no way the caps will trade backstrom.

HockeyTS32 is offline   Reply With Quote