HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Awkward Stanley Cup Presentations with Bettman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2013, 11:47 PM
  #26
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper
 
The Cheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 9,377
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Kinda getting tired of the booing during situations like this. No other pro sport boos their commissioner during presentations.
When i lived in philly we booed the guy who took too long to bring the trophy out when the phillies won in 2008. And by we i mean the entire stadium

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:48 PM
  #27
Kenadyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Asheboro, NC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Kinda getting tired of the booing during situations like this. No other pro sport boos their commissioner during presentations.
No other pro sport has had THREE work stoppages under the same commissioner. Bettman has earned the boos for the last 20 years of "work".

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:50 PM
  #28
Francis Vernal
Lawyer,Hero,Activist
 
Francis Vernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
It's not funny, it's not offensive, it's just annoying. But I guess those fans feel like they're "fighting the power, man!"

Francis Vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:52 PM
  #29
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Booing Bettman in Cup presentantion is funny at first but gets old really fast.

Booing Bettman at the start of the draft never gets old though. And Bettman takes it pretty well, sometimes even joking about it ("I see I'm loved here" etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65oBD4jfVe4 This is one of the better ones. 0.25->

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:53 PM
  #30
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas
 
Nalens Oga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,383
vCash: 1963
Why is this egotistical idiot even presenting it? They couldn't get Mikita or Pilote or Hull to do it?

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:03 AM
  #31
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,581
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Gary could swallow his pride and not go out there too.
He's the commissioner. If he feels it's his right to hand off the cup he can.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:05 AM
  #32
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.
 
Howboutthempanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brow. County, Fl.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,005
vCash: 500
Well there are only two options, you either boo or you don't boo. If Gary Bettman walks out in to the middle of an NHL arena chances are they're going to pick the option to boo him.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:08 AM
  #33
Francis Vernal
Lawyer,Hero,Activist
 
Francis Vernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire should present it. Problem solved - no more awkwardness.

Francis Vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
  #34
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T.A.
Country: Israel
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Booing Bettman is only popular with whiners. Thankfully Kings fans aren't full of snobs.
Sure. More likely 90% of the Staples Center had no idea who he was.

When Bettman is gone and they don't have a lockout every 6 years, people will stop booing. The booing serves as an inescapable reminder to Gary that the hockey world hates him. Keep it going.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:19 AM
  #35
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 41,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
Sure. More likely 90% of the Staples Center had no idea who he was.

When Bettman is gone and they don't have a lockout every 6 years, people will stop booing. The booing serves as an inescapable reminder to Gary that the hockey world hates him. Keep it going.
And if we listen to these same snobs who boo Bettman, we'd only have a small, elitist audience tuning in to watch the games. Guess what, the league's popularity continues to grow and has grown immensely since the 2004-05 lockout and they came back just as strong this year after another lockout.

It isn't all Bettman's fault (FYI, he follows the owners orders, it is them who he represents in CBA negotiations). The simpleton view is to fault Bettman for all of these problems, when in reality, a lot of hockey fans who think themselves to be purists complain about the sport more than anyone else.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:19 AM
  #36
cjm502
#FireHolland
 
cjm502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
I think it would be cool for the cup to be handed off by a previous great of the winning team, as in Hull for the Hawks or Orr for the Bruins.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:22 AM
  #37
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Geographical Oddity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Gary could swallow his pride and not go out there too.
In EVERY major sport, the league commissioner presents the championship trophy.

So hockey should quit this tradition because many of the fans are as%@#$#s?!

Maybe hockey fans need to grow up and act like adults.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:23 AM
  #38
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T.A.
Country: Israel
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
And if we listen to these same snobs who boo Bettman, we'd only have a small, elitist audience tuning in to watch the games. Guess what, the league's popularity continues to grow and has grown immensely since the 2004-05 lockout and they came back just as strong this year after another lockout.

It isn't all Bettman's fault (FYI, he follows the owners orders, it is them who he represents in CBA negotiations). The simpleton view is to fault Bettman for all of these problems, when in reality, a lot of hockey fans who think themselves to be purists complain about the sport more than anyone else.
He's the lightning rod, the commissioner, that's the way it is. Unfortunately, they don't trot out all 30 owners for me to pelt with heads of lettuce. You work with what you got.

I do think it's kind of funny that one post after proclaiming that Kings fans aren't full of snobs, you accuse people booing Bettman to be simpletons.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:25 AM
  #39
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 41,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
He's the lightning rod, the commissioner, that's the way it is. Unfortunately, they don't trot out all 30 owners for me to pelt with heads of lettuce. You work with what you got.

I do think it's kind of funny that one post after proclaiming that Kings fans aren't full of snobs, you accuse people booing Bettman to be simpletons.
How are they not simpletons? They follow the flock mentality of the mindless sheep who complain about everything and are never satisfied or happy with the sport. They're pretty much hipsters. Like an earlier poster stated, they think they're "sticking it to the man." It's adolescent behavior, and if you enjoy partaking in it, go ahead and boo to your hearts content.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:25 AM
  #40
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T.A.
Country: Israel
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
In EVERY major sport, the league commissioner presents the championship trophy.

So hockey should quit this tradition because many of the fans are as%@#$#s?!

Maybe hockey fans need to grow up and act like adults.
I don't see what the big deal is in all honesty. You get 30 seconds of booing Bettman, then you can cheer and congratulate the winning team. Who cares. Half the time it doesn't happen on the road anyway.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:30 AM
  #41
Anaxagoras
Futbol Fan
 
Anaxagoras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
How could I forget Brind'Amour's cup snatch! A priceless hockey moment.

Why does Bettman need to give a little speech every time? A quick little, "Congratulations to the _____ ____'s on a hard-fought series and a fantastic season," would be more than enough. I'm not sure if he's trying to heighten the tension or if it truly is a self-indulgent speech, but it's pointless.

Anaxagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:30 AM
  #42
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T.A.
Country: Israel
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
How are they not simpletons? They follow the flock mentality of the mindless sheep who complain about everything and are never satisfied or happy with the sport. They're pretty much hipsters. Like an earlier poster stated, they think they're "sticking it to the man." It's adolescent behavior, and if you enjoy partaking in it, go ahead and boo to your hearts content.
I'm sorry, which one of us is the elitist snob again?

Why is it automatically a flock mentality? It's so absurd that after having the type of labor strife unseen in ANY of the other major sports, fans channel their anger towards the figurehead of the league, the commissioner? That makes them sheep? Fine, he isn't the only one to blame, but he's sure as hell one of them. You're making it into a way bigger issue about "never being satisfied with the sport", which I think you're conjuring out of nowhere.

Fans don't forget, and they vent. That's all it is.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:34 AM
  #43
Kb21
Registered User
 
Kb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
wait until a canadian team win its. we all know bettman doesn't give a crap about canada even though the sport originated here. they are going to make it rain on him that night, and if it's in Vancouver probably a riot afterwards as well.

Kb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:37 AM
  #44
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
booing bettman is a wonderful tradition. And he earned it this year.
Did he ever.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:44 AM
  #45
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 5,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Why is this egotistical idiot even presenting it? They couldn't get Mikita or Pilote or Hull to do it?
It's been suggested more than once that someone else do it (all time greats like those guys, or the captain of the previous winner, or even just some league functionary who isn't hated), but I remember reading that allegedly Gary himself insists on continuing to be the presenter.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:45 AM
  #46
Telos
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,494
vCash: 395
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouendan1 View Post
LA got slammed pretty damn hard by hockey fans when they didn't boo Bettman. I'm glad they didn't though.
I'm sure everyone was just too busy crying and being full of emotions given the significance and relief of it all. We'll make sure we boo next time

I agree with the sentiment though, that it sort of cheapens things, but in all fairness, he sort of earned it this year. That CBA debacle was pretty brutal.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:50 AM
  #47
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Registered User
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
How could I forget Brind'Amour's cup snatch! A priceless hockey moment.
I would also include 2007 when Scott Niedermayer did the same thing. I remember Bettman looked really upset so he was like here take it and walked off very angry.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:51 AM
  #48
vwg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 20,151
vCash: 500
As a Carolina fan, it has been so long that I didn't remember how awkward Bettman's presentation was, but then again I was super excited so I probably didn't even notice the first time.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:00 AM
  #49
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 25,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgeni Malkby View Post
I agree with this.

I'm trying to remember if they booed Ziegler this bad.....mind goes blank.
That's cause Ziegler was a humble classy guy and he didn't want to hug the spotlight. I remember Ziegler barely touched the cup for the photo op and he didn't even speak on the mic. While Bettman has to make a speach and lift the cup. It's a drag everytime, although he was more humble this year.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:15 AM
  #50
Oil Nation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
I think the tradition is hilarious. I hope it continues until he retires. He's earned it.

Oil Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.