HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Awkward Stanley Cup Presentations with Bettman

Old
06-25-2013, 12:20 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Maybe someone can confirm this but didn't the tradition of booing Bettman start when the Devils won in 1995? I remember reading that the fans were upset about the lockout that season and the booing started by accident when he came onto the ice. So ever since then fans in the arena where the Stanley Cup got presented kept on that doing it, no matter if the home team won in their arena or the visiting team won it on the road.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Maybe someone can confirm this but didn't the tradition of booing Bettman start when the Devils won in 1995? I remember reading that the fans were upset about the lockout that season and the booing started by accident when he came onto the ice. So ever since then fans in the arena where the Stanley Cup got presented kept on that doing it, no matter if the home team won in their arena or the visiting team won it on the road.
Yes. The Devils fans started it. They were more pissed about the Devils potentially being moved to Nashville than the lockout. This was at game 4 that year. It will be another rough day for him at the draft.

Last edited by Fayne Staley: 06-25-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Pepper

Love or hate Bettman but he takes the booing pretty well. He's the lightning rod of fan hate, some deserved, some undeserved. Part of the reason why owners like him.

I can see Bill Daly (if he sticks around) being a lot less hated commish, mostly because he doesn't have that sleazy lawyer look with ****-eating grin in the Stanley Cup photo-shoot.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:48 AM
NJDevils7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
Yes. The Devils fans started it. They were more pissed about the Devils potentially being moved to Nashville than the lockout. This was at game 4 that year. It will be another rough day for him at the draft.

This is easily the most hate towards Bettman and it is the start of a tradition. He gets heckled by literally the entire crowd for the whole interview

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:22 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
The "booing" is classless/embarrassing, it gives the impression that the average hockey fan is a 14-year-old delinquent wearing a faded Suicidal Tendencies t-shirt (though maybe that's true)
There are 14 year old Suicidal Tendencies fans?

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOMO View Post
There are 14 year old Suicidal Tendencies fans?
All they want is a Pepsi.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:08 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Kinda getting tired of the booing during situations like this. No other pro sport boos their commissioner during presentations.
Stern was boo'd so bad that the Heat owner asked the crowd to stop

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:27 AM
ToursLepantoVienna

Never understood the hate for Bettman, but that's a different topic.

No problem with booing him when he's introduced, but show some respect for the Cup, the teams, and the sport, and shut up for the trophy presentations.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:48 AM
Joey Banana

It's so classless in the NHL to show personality and true passion, that even fans aren't allowed to do it.

Meh.

Joey Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:53 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

It's annoying. It's about the Cup not about Bettman.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:09 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
It's not funny, it's not offensive, it's just annoying. But I guess those fans feel like they're "fighting the power, man!"
I'm not advocating the booing at the Stanley Cup presentation and the draft, but...
Those are really the only two times I can think of the fans can voice their displeasure at the way he is running the league. I was at the draft in 2011 and I did not participate in the call of the boo bird, but I think it is well deserved.

Last edited by Marlowe Syn: 06-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
It's annoying. It's about the Cup not about Bettman.
You are absolutely correct it is not about Bettman and so the fact that he attempts to make himself a part of it unnecessarily warrants disdain.

Personally I'm going to go to the other extreme and say anyone who doesn't agree with booing the slimeball is a simpleton. Just look at him. How can you not hate that smug face?

06-25-2013, 07:22 AM
snoop88

lol at all the ******** over the booing

it's hilarious, and deserved considering what a jerk Bettman is.
Frankly it's become a fun tradition, and stop with the nonsense "it takes away from the moment"

As soon as the Cup gets handed over, everyone forgets about it and moves on.

snoop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:06 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
Never understood the hate for Bettman, but that's a different topic.

No problem with booing him when he's introduced, but show some respect for the Cup, the teams, and the sport, and shut up for the trophy presentations.
I think some people should read 'Instigator' by Gatehouse.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Darth Bangkok

he was saying all the same patronizing crap back then that he says now. they don't boo you bc they're passionate gary, they'd be cheering their team. they boo bc you're an *******.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
LeftTackle51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Kinda getting tired of the booing during situations like this. No other pro sport boos their commissioner during presentations.
NFL draft?

LeftTackle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:45 AM
HawkinMI

So where does last night's rank?

Crowd reaction I'd say was a solid 6 or 7, the Boston fans were not happy to see him last night. Understandably so.

The handoff was clean and uneventful, Toews knew what to do and no awkwardness ensued. 1.

Bettman looked a little uncomfortable, but I didn't notice him doing anything hugely awkward with his body or hands. 3.

Overall awkwardness: like a 3-4 range. Low end. Not the most memorable ceremony for many but Hawks fans

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
wait until a canadian team win its. we all know bettman doesn't give a crap about canada even though the sport originated here. they are going to make it rain on him that night, and if it's in Vancouver probably a riot afterwards as well.
Dumbass. Bettman put in place an assistance program during the 90s for the surviving smaller market teams (so all besides Montreal/Toronto) cuz they were getting clobbered also by 60 cent loonie and in danger of moving. Canadian fans who are "anti-Bettman" like it's some kind of badge of honour sound like angsty teenagers.

How would you guys prefer the cup presentation anyway if the commissioner of the league (like other sports do) wasn't presenting it? Have maybe some robotic device carry it out? Send it down from the rafters on a zip line?

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:58 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Gary Bettman is an *******. No other North American Professional Major Sports league has had 3 work stoppages in 20 years.

He moves 2 solid Canadian cities with some history of a franchise to a Sunbelt in Glendale and Colorado (which is okay) and then he expands into Columbus, Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota (which was a great decision, the only good one out of the bunch). His and the NHL's vision of Sunbelt Hockey was arguably the stupidest business decision they ever made and it is what setup the 2nd GB Lockout. Had other expansion ideas took hold and not in the South, we would probably have a more stable NHL.

Nevertheless, Bettman's a jerk and an idiot. He used to brush off the concussion issue like it was nothing. Guy's an idiot and Bill Daly needs to take over.

The booing is truly warranted. I know if my Habs ever won a cup in Montreal (literally, the last game of the series was in Montreal, like in '93), I would boo the **** out of GB if I ever got the chance to go to the game.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinMI View Post
So where does last night's rank?

Crowd reaction I'd say was a solid 6 or 7, the Boston fans were not happy to see him last night. Understandably so.

The handoff was clean and uneventful, Toews knew what to do and no awkwardness ensued. 1.

Bettman looked a little uncomfortable, but I didn't notice him doing anything hugely awkward with his body or hands. 3.

Overall awkwardness: like a 3-4 range. Low end. Not the most memorable ceremony for many but Hawks fans
He didn't even look at GB and yanked the Cup out of his hands, haha.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:10 AM
OVs Gold Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan View Post
No other pro sport has had THREE work stoppages under the same commissioner. Bettman has earned the boos for the last 20 years of "work".
Exactly.. People act like the boos were just ******** Boston fans mad about the outcome. We have the WOAT commissioner who only has his job because he's the kind of ******* who is willing to take all the negative reaction just to scrape up a few extra bucks for the owners.

OVs Gold Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Devilsfan118

I hope he gets lit up in NJ this weekend, and I sure hope you people on here whining about 'class' can stomach it

Devilsfan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Tkshreve

Gary azz knew there was a lockout looming in last years off season. He could have done something about it. Could have prevented ANOTHER work stoppage, but insisted on heading into the lockout to gain leverage. Think about all the fans that were left high and dry. All the business owners who make their nut on game nights closing up early and maxing out the CC to keep the doors open. How about all of the auxiliary jobs from commentating to ushering that were left by the wayside while billionaires fought with millionaires over money. Fuch gary azz beatman. That guy is a total putz and deserves every sneer he gets.

BTW - LA did a terrible job of booing the lawn gnome because they were too busy fumbling around and filming with the smart phones to add any proper emotion. Literally, 95% of the crowd was I-filming the post game on-ice show.

Tkshreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:28 AM
HawkinMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
He didn't even look at GB and yanked the Cup out of his hands, haha.
I guess I was too excited and didn't notice

Bettman needs to learn to get out of the damn way. Why does there even need to be a speech? He just says a few stock lines that everybody already knows to be true in attempt to win over the other fanbase, but usually it makes them cheer for a second and go right back to booing.

The players have worked hard enough for this moment, don't make them sit around and wait for something they've been waiting all year to do.

My $0.02

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Bettman actually has done a pretty decent job, has he had mistakes? yes. but so does everyone.

It's a love/hate relationship. I also agree he takes the abuse well.

The game is going in the right direction, even if it's at a snails pace.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote