HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Awkward Stanley Cup Presentations with Bettman

Old
06-25-2013, 10:44 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Bettman actually has done a pretty decent job, has he had mistakes? yes. but so does everyone.

It's a love/hate relationship. I also agree he takes the abuse well.

The game is going in the right direction, even if it's at a snails pace.
Outside of politics, I can't think of another profession that would let it's "head piece / mouth piece / head honcho" botch up not twice, but 3 times and still sit at the big boy's table. Most corporations would have held a meeting and the board would put someone else in place almost immediately when it was feasible PR wise.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Blue Regime

I love the boo'ing, keep it up.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:07 AM
insomniac34

Quote:
Crowd Response: 9/10. They’re booing pretty much constantly. Although in fairness, this is Philadelphia, so they may not even know Bettman is there.

insomniac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
hisgirlfriday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Gary Bettman is an *******. No other North American Professional Major Sports league has had 3 work stoppages in 20 years.

He moves 2 solid Canadian cities with some history of a franchise to a Sunbelt in Glendale and Colorado (which is okay) and then he expands into Columbus, Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota (which was a great decision, the only good one out of the bunch). His and the NHL's vision of Sunbelt Hockey was arguably the stupidest business decision they ever made and it is what setup the 2nd GB Lockout. Had other expansion ideas took hold and not in the South, we would probably have a more stable NHL.

Nevertheless, Bettman's a jerk and an idiot. He used to brush off the concussion issue like it was nothing. Guy's an idiot and Bill Daly needs to take over.

The booing is truly warranted. I know if my Habs ever won a cup in Montreal (literally, the last game of the series was in Montreal, like in '93), I would boo the **** out of GB if I ever got the chance to go to the game.
All of this.

I almost wish toews wasn't so classy/deliriously happy in the moment of getting the cup to not tweak bettman again like he did during the lockout because that dirtbag doesn't deserve to bask in the glow of the hockey happiness we got last night.

Praise be to all the amazing players that gave us this amazing sc playoffs hockey in spite of the cretins like bettman they have to put up with and who almost took this sport away from them and us the fans for another season.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:35 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
All of this.

I almost wish toews wasn't so classy/deliriously happy in the moment of getting the cup to not tweak bettman again like he did during the lockout because that dirtbag doesn't deserve to bask in the glow of the hockey happiness we got last night.

Praise be to all the amazing players that gave us this amazing sc playoffs hockey in spite of the cretins like bettman they have to put up with and who almost took this sport away from them and us the fans for another season.
That would be amazing. I would love Jonathan Toews forever! But i'll take him defeating the Bruins in 6 as a consolation. A great consolation at that. If there's one thing I hate more than GB, it's the Boston Bruins.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Griffin6612

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
Caught that too, great little quote haha. Also love the list. Didn't watch Carolina win, but man that was great how he just grabs the cup.

Griffin6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:00 PM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouendan1 View Post
LA got slammed pretty damn hard by hockey fans when they didn't boo Bettman. I'm glad they didn't though.
Of course they boo'd Bettman. I was at the game and i boo'd, that has to count, right?

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Gary Bettman is an *******. No other North American Professional Major Sports league has had 3 work stoppages in 20 years.
Yup, NHLPA had part in those lock-outs... They also didn't wait a year before starting to negotiate in the last one.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yup, NHLPA had part in those lock-outs... They also didn't wait a year before starting to negotiate in the last one.
So the last one you can blame on Donald Fehr, but the fact is if you read the rest of my post, it is blatantly clear that Bettman and the NHL's vision for Sunbelt hockey was stupid as it caused financial stability issues throughout the league that lead to the 2nd GB lockout.

Fehr wanted to do things his way and negotiate when the season was over. Makes no sense to me, but it is what he decided to do. Yet somehow, this time around, Fehr, the PA and the NHL got the CBA signed so that a season was salvaged.

The fact is that the constant throughout 20 years of work stoppages is Bettman, not Fehr.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
So the last one you can blame on Donald Fehr, but the fact is if you read the rest of my post, it is blatantly clear that Bettman and the NHL's vision for Sunbelt hockey was stupid as it caused financial stability issues throughout the league that lead to the 2nd GB lockout.

Fehr wanted to do things his way and negotiate when the season was over. Makes no sense to me, but it is what he decided to do. Yet somehow, this time around, Fehr, the PA and the NHL got the CBA signed so that a season was salvaged.

The fact is that the constant throughout 20 years of work stoppages is Bettman, not Fehr.
It is clear, but the NHLPA played in part in all three too. Fact no one wants to talk about it shows ignorance in that GB is the sole reason 3 stoppages have happened in his tenure. I'm nowhere a Bettman apologist (hate the man and hope he goes to the NBA when Stern retires), but he is also the reason the league is putting up record ratings based on television contracts with a company that have put the NHL front and center, and brought a NYD game (although now it is getting out of hand). Not to mention the players are getting paid a hell of a lot more than they did 10 years ago, and quicker in their careers too. If you are going to focus on his negative, you at least have to look at what he has done.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Obviously you aren't old enough to remember two NFL strikes in six years under the sainted Pete Rozelle.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:47 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
It is clear, but the NHLPA played in part in all three too. Fact no one wants to talk about it shows ignorance in that GB is the sole reason 3 stoppages have happened in his tenure. I'm nowhere a Bettman apologist (hate the man and hope he goes to the NBA when Stern retires), but he is also the reason the league is putting up record ratings based on television contracts with a company that have put the NHL front and center, and brought a NYD game (although now it is getting out of hand). Not to mention the players are getting paid a hell of a lot more than they did 10 years ago, and quicker in their careers too. If you are going to focus on his negative, you at least have to look at what he has done.
I know all about GB's positives. The fact is they really aren't that special. Most smart business people would know how to market their game effectively and properly. Especially when it comes to TV, you go with a company that will market you first and give you the most exposure and not with IDK, say ESPN back in the 90s...

The negatives to look at are injuries/concussions, the continued legalization of fighting even though no other NA Professional League allows fighting, the losses suffered by many teams still to this day in the NHL, and other things.

He's grown the game? Of course, but for those already established profitable franchises like the Maple Leafs', the Canadiens', the Rangers', of the NHL. What has he done to stabilize Phoenix, Florida, Tampa Bay, San Jose, Carolina, etc.? Not much short of instituting a cap system that doesn't really help them.

Plus, the game used to have great dynasties like the Oilers and Islanders of the 80s, the Flyers in the 70s, along with the Habs, and other great dynasties. Can't really have teams winning back to back SCs anymore, has to be two out of 4 years, which is fantastic, but still not as great. You look at the NBA and think about such great dynasties like the Lakers, Celtics, etc. Can't really have that in the NHL anymore.

I prefer the old days when the teams that were great were great, and the teams that couldn't spend the money couldn't because they didn't have enough of a fanbase, a true attraction to hockey, to keep their business going. Florida, San Jose pre-lockout #2, Tampa Bay (up until 2004) were some of those examples. Phoenix as well.

What they should have fixed is either folded some teams or expanded to the right places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Obviously you aren't old enough to remember two NFL strikes in six years under the sainted Pete Rozelle.
No i am not. But if you read my post, I said 3 stoppages in 20 years. They had 3 stoppages in 37 years in the NFL...

Nevertheless the Rozelle era was bad, the NFL got through it though and look where their game is. An arguably 20+ billion dollar league, not a 5 billion dollar league like the NHL.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:48 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
This would be an excellent job for Gretzky IMO.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
I know all about GB's positives. The fact is they really aren't that special. Most smart business people would know how to market their game effectively and properly. Especially when it comes to TV, you go with a company that will market you first and give you the most exposure and not with IDK, say ESPN back in the 90s...

The negatives to look at are injuries/concussions, the continued legalization of fighting even though no other NA Professional League allows fighting, the losses suffered by many teams still to this day in the NHL, and other things.

He's grown the game? Of course, but for those already established profitable franchises like the Maple Leafs', the Canadiens', the Rangers', of the NHL. What has he done to stabilize Phoenix, Florida, Tampa Bay, San Jose, Carolina, etc.? Not much short of instituting a cap system that doesn't really help them.

Plus, the game used to have great dynasties like the Oilers and Islanders of the 80s, the Flyers in the 70s, along with the Habs, and other great dynasties. Can't really have teams winning back to back SCs anymore, has to be two out of 4 years, which is fantastic, but still not as great. You look at the NBA and think about such great dynasties like the Lakers, Celtics, etc. Can't really have that in the NHL anymore.

I prefer the old days when the teams that were great were great, and the teams that couldn't spend the money couldn't because they didn't have enough of a fanbase, a true attraction to hockey, to keep their business going. Florida, San Jose pre-lockout #2, Tampa Bay (up until 2004) were some of those examples. Phoenix as well.

What they should have fixed is either folded some teams or expanded to the right places...
You mean the days when the Habs could buy up all the good players and win the cup every year? Sorry, but competitive balance and at least something close to parity has to exist or sports leagues start hemorrhaging fans big time. The NFL has parity and continues to grow while the NBA's popularity has been steadily declining as their commitment to parity has disappeared.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
This would be an excellent job for Gretzky IMO.
Believe me, at some point, a band of idiots somewhere will eventually decide to boo Gretzky as well.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Kinda getting tired of the booing during situations like this. No other pro sport boos their commissioner during presentations.
That's because they aren't stuck up better than though little weasels like Bettman.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
That's because they aren't stuck up better than though little weasels like Bettman.
You must not be very familiar with David Stern or Bud Selig. You know, commissioners of sports where they've had a problem with crooked officials and steroids.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:37 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
You mean the days when the Habs could buy up all the good players and win the cup every year? Sorry, but competitive balance and at least something close to parity has to exist or sports leagues start hemorrhaging fans big time. The NFL has parity and continues to grow while the NBA's popularity has been steadily declining as their commitment to parity has disappeared.
NFL has only had parity the past 10-15 years or so. I remember pretty recently, NE winning 3 titles in like 4-5 years. Is that parity?

Also, look at the MLB and all the parity there. Doesn't seem like the MLB is losing fans each year, as they are a bigger business than the NHL and i would think the MLB as well.

The NBA's popularity has been steadily declining? Can you prove this to me via ratings? I highly doubt this to be the case. Maybe in Cleveland ratings are down, but in LA, Miami, Boston, and other cities ratings i'm sure are at the same level, if not better than about 10 years ago.

I used to be big on parity in the NHL. But then I realized it's actually not great for the NHL. 9/10 I would rather watch Lakers/Celtics final then a OKC/Celtics or Lakers/Pacers final. Same thing why I would rather watch a Detroit/Leafs final over a Detroit/Carolina final.

When you have an unstable league like the NHL, parity helps. The problem is, parity hasn't helped all the struggling teams yet. Carolina I don't see a change and neither do I see a big one in Nashville and Phoenix, where both teams have made the playoffs and gone quite far recently. Yet somehow, they are still losing money year after year.

If parity doesn't solve things from a financial perspective, then why use it?

Old
06-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You must not be very familiar with David Stern or Bud Selig.
Or Roger Goodell. Or Paul Tagliabue. Or Pete Rozelle.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:42 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
I prefer the old days
And this is where we agree to disagree.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
If parity doesn't solve things from a financial perspective, then why use it?
Because it's better than having a league that no one watches and goes belly-up. And the NFL has been pushing parity since the 1970s. It ain't a new phenomena. Rozelle used to make a point of stressing parity in damn near every press conference he made.

You bring up MLB? Baseball's popularity flat-lined a long time ago and faces a HUGE problem as it's loyal fanbase is aging and young fans aren't coming in to replace them.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I prefer the old days
You just said you aren't old enough to remember anything before the 1990s. Bettman was made commissioner in 1993.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:01 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
And this is where we agree to disagree.
You're an Anaheim fan? Tell me how well your team is doing financially the past 5 years since winning the cup 6 years ago...

Quote:
Because it's better than having a league that no one watches and goes belly-up. And the NFL has been pushing parity since the 1970s. It ain't a new phenomena. Rozelle used to make a point of stressing parity in damn near every press conference he made.

You bring up MLB? Baseball's popularity flat-lined a long time ago and faces a HUGE problem as it's loyal fanbase is aging and young fans aren't coming in to replace them.
Problem with parity is that it doesn't allow for a lot of rivalries. Great playoff rivarlries are what make great headlines for sports. Like I mentioned above in my post, nobody wants to watch Sacramento and New Orleans in the Final. They (right now) rather watch the Miami Heat and the Lakers go at it, or Celtics and Lakers, or Spurs etc.

From the NHL perspective, parity isn't doing any wonders. You have fanbases like Nashville, San Jose, etc. that are all bandwagon fans. Why are these types of teams doing poorly financially, even when their teams make the playoffs and go far.

If there was stability in the NHL (in a time where parity is clear), then I wouldn't care as much about parity. But the fact is, only about half the league is profitable and the other half is not. That's an issue. I don't know any other leagues that have half the teams losing money...

Old
06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
You're an Anaheim fan? Tell me how well your team is doing financially the past 5 years since winning the cup 6 years ago...

Problem with parity is that it doesn't allow for a lot of rivalries. Great playoff rivarlries are what make great headlines for sports. Like I mentioned above in my post, nobody wants to watch Sacramento and New Orleans in the Final. They (right now) rather watch the Miami Heat and the Lakers go at it, or Celtics and Lakers, or Spurs etc.

From the NHL perspective, parity isn't doing any wonders. You have fanbases like Nashville, San Jose, etc. that are all bandwagon fans. Why are these types of teams doing poorly financially, even when their teams make the playoffs and go far.

If there was stability in the NHL (in a time where parity is clear), then I wouldn't care as much about parity. But the fact is, only about half the league is profitable and the other half is not. That's an issue. I don't know any other leagues that have half the teams losing money...
Do you watch hockey to see teams that make a profit? Seriously? See what I mean when I wrote that hockey fans who think of themselves as purists are snobs? Here's a perfect example of one.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:06 PM
WWAD

Quote:
I don't know any other leagues that have half the teams losing money...
English Premiere League - the 3rd highest grossing sports league in the world after the NFL and MLB.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote