HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Awkward Stanley Cup Presentations with Bettman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2013, 09:39 AM
  #176
hisgirlfriday
Registered User
 
hisgirlfriday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 500
Bettman giving an insincere speech makes it about him. As does him needing a staged posed photo holding the cup with the winning captain.

If Bettman has to be there what I would like is him announcing the conn smythe winner but the keepers of the cup wheeling out the trophy without saying anything, winning captain shakes hands with the keeper and then hoists it.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
  #177
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Serbia
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Kinda getting tired of the booing during situations like this. No other pro sport boos their commissioner during presentations.
No other sport has Gary Bettman as commissioner

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:53 AM
  #178
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Most people booing have no idea what there booing for. They boo because they believe the guy is the cause of the lockouts and short seasons... Same goes for any Commisioner. Same goes for most leaders. Look at the President. Gets the applause when things r good, gets booed when things are bad, even if it wasnt their decisions.

And most people have short term memory, and most people only remember the bad.

They remember 2 short seasons and 1 lockout. Heck, many people booing probably dont even realize Bettman has been around for that long.


I could def use a change in that position though. Not because I hate the guy, things are fine in hockey but they could be better and thats why there could be change

But I love that Bettman has expanded the league and put franchises in places we never thought possible. Even if there relocated, those teams expanded the game.

Whether his idea or not, it was his signature to create Winter Classic events which I believe was a huge cause in bringing hockey ratings up.

I dont really blame Bettman on the lockouts. 1 was inevtiable, maybe even all of them were... 04 the teams were losing far too much money. This season, players shouldnt be making 57% lol. IMO.


Anyway... other good things, like signing with NBC. But ultimately I guess I can go for a change but I have no idea who

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:55 AM
  #179
Roomtemperature
Registered User
 
Roomtemperature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I think you're right about that. Bettman was just a suit in 1994. Derided as an NBA guy but not the villain he would become in the late 1990s.

The booing started in '95 when the league was coming off the half-season, and picked up again in force in '99 when the league was really running into some tough years with a lot of different issues. It wasn't till the 2002, 2003 range that it became a total distraction and remained that way for the rest of the decade.

IMO, one side or the other needs to give it up. Either Bettman should have the grace to step away from this role and delegate it to someone who won't become a total distraction, or the fans should recognize that he's not going anywhere and knock it off. Either way is fine by me.
The booing in 95 stemmed more from the rumors of the Devils moving to Nashville.


Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
  #180
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!
 
Rob Nieds work ethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lund, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
booing bettman is a wonderful tradition. And he earned it this year.
Completely agree. Everyone knows its directed just at him. The quality of the playoffs are totally irrelevant to this.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
  #181
hisgirlfriday
Registered User
 
hisgirlfriday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I dont really blame Bettman on the lockouts. 1 was inevtiable, maybe even all of them were... 04 the teams were losing far too much money. This season, players shouldnt be making 57% lol. IMO.
Why shouldn't they get that money? Its their bodies/health/lives on the line out there. Its their talent/desire/toughness that fans pay to see.

I can never ever ever for the life of me understand fans of professional sports, especially the physically brutal sports like hockey, who take the side of ownership over players.

I mean look at the Bruins. Patrice Bergeron risks his life playing with a punctured lung to try to deliver a cup to Boston and you're telling me he's getting too much money and it instead should be going to some arrogant tight fisted billionaire like Jeremy Jacobs who was so cheap he made his employees cover the taxes on their stanley cup rings? Why?

And I vehemently disagree that everyone who boos Bettman is juvenile or uneducated or just hates authority in general. Haven't had the chance to boo him in person but if I did I would because he is and has been the proxy for incompetent owners who have shut down hockey 3 times in 19 years because the gms they hire are too dumb/lazy/incompetent to negotiate good deals and make payroll on an individual basis that they all need to band together to try and take more from the players after their dumb contracts and bad negotiations screw up the health of the league. Yes the players have a role in the discord as well but they haven't gone on strike these last 3 times. Its been owner-initiated lockouts fronted by owner stooge bettman.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
  #182
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,511
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Why shouldn't they get that money? Its their bodies/health/lives on the line out there. Its their talent/desire/toughness that fans pay to see.

I can never ever ever for the life of me understand fans of professional sports, especially the physically brutal sports like hockey, who take the side of ownership over players.

I mean look at the Bruins. Patrice Bergeron risks his life playing with a punctured lung to try to deliver a cup to Boston and you're telling me he's getting too much money and it instead should be going to some arrogant tight fisted billionaire like Jeremy Jacobs who was so cheap he made his employees cover the taxes on their stanley cup rings? Why?

And I vehemently disagree that everyone who boos Bettman is juvenile or uneducated or just hates authority in general. Haven't had the chance to boo him in person but if I did I would because he is and has been the proxy for incompetent owners who have shut down hockey 3 times in 19 years because the gms they hire are too dumb/lazy/incompetent to negotiate good deals and make payroll on an individual basis that they all need to band together to try and take more from the players after their dumb contracts and bad negotiations screw up the health of the league. Yes the players have a role in the discord as well but they haven't gone on strike these last 3 times. Its been owner-initiated lockouts fronted by owner stooge bettman.
Fantastic post. I will never understand why fans will be against the players in negotiations. Do they not realize that everything the players give up is going to be gained by an even richer owner?

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
  #183
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Completely agree. Everyone knows its directed just at him. The quality of the playoffs are totally irrelevant to this.
I know, but FWIW, I probably had 20 people come up to me and talk about how classless it was for Boston to boo the Hawks when they won the Cup. I told them it was because of Bettman and they looked at me like I had two heads.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
  #184
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Why shouldn't they get that money? Its their bodies/health/lives on the line out there. Its their talent/desire/toughness that fans pay to see.

I can never ever ever for the life of me understand fans of professional sports, especially the physically brutal sports like hockey, who take the side of ownership over players.

I mean look at the Bruins. Patrice Bergeron risks his life playing with a punctured lung to try to deliver a cup to Boston and you're telling me he's getting too much money and it instead should be going to some arrogant tight fisted billionaire like Jeremy Jacobs who was so cheap he made his employees cover the taxes on their stanley cup rings? Why?

And I vehemently disagree that everyone who boos Bettman is juvenile or uneducated or just hates authority in general. Haven't had the chance to boo him in person but if I did I would because he is and has been the proxy for incompetent owners who have shut down hockey 3 times in 19 years because the gms they hire are too dumb/lazy/incompetent to negotiate good deals and make payroll on an individual basis that they all need to band together to try and take more from the players after their dumb contracts and bad negotiations screw up the health of the league. Yes the players have a role in the discord as well but they haven't gone on strike these last 3 times. Its been owner-initiated lockouts fronted by owner stooge bettman.
So in other words you'd rather see the league go belly up than have the teams turn a profit. Nice way to kill the goose that's laying the golden eggs.

Out in the real world when employee salaries (and make no mistake the players are employees) are exceeding the income of the business the business either starts firing employees or the business shuts down.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:12 PM
  #185
hisgirlfriday
Registered User
 
hisgirlfriday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
So in other words you'd rather see the league go belly up than have the teams turn a profit. Nice way to kill the goose that's laying the golden eggs.

Out in the real world when employee salaries (and make no mistake the players are employees) are exceeding the income of the business the business either starts firing employees or the business shuts down.
In the real business world there is no such thing as a salary cap and monopolistic trusts (of which the nhl is one) are illegal. You can't compare sports economics to regular business economics, especially because sports teams aren't just businesses but also civic institutions that are part of the fabric of the communities where they are located. That's the first point.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you think me siding with the players automatically means I want the league to go belly up. I am fine with owners not signing players or offering players less or cutting players is what needs to happen to get those organizations profit positive. What irks me is seeing undisciplined gms and greedy owners make bad business decisions and then stage a lockout every 5 years to try to claw back money from the players to bail out the league when none of it would be necessary if gms and owners were smart and disciplined in negotiations with their individual employees in the first place.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 05:17 PM
  #186
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
In the real business world there is no such thing as a salary cap and monopolistic trusts (of which the nhl is one) are illegal. You can't compare sports economics to regular business economics, especially because sports teams aren't just businesses but also civic institutions that are part of the fabric of the communities where they are located. That's the first point.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you think me siding with the players automatically means I want the league to go belly up. I am fine with owners not signing players or offering players less or cutting players is what needs to happen to get those organizations profit positive. What irks me is seeing undisciplined gms and greedy owners make bad business decisions and then stage a lockout every 5 years to try to claw back money from the players to bail out the league when none of it would be necessary if gms and owners were smart and disciplined in negotiations with their individual employees in the first place.
Sorry, but unless a city actually BUYS a major-league sports team then the team doesn't belong to that city any more than the local Outback Steakhouse does. This "civic institution" stuff is a load of crap. Sports teams are the private property of their owners and no one else.

And btw, businesses DO have a salary-cap whether it's an official one or not. Every place I've ever worked for had a maximum payroll that they couldn't exceed and if they did the corporate office would soon be introducing us to our new management team. That's how the real world works.....in sports and in every other business.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:26 PM
  #187
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 9,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Why shouldn't they get that money? Its their bodies/health/lives on the line out there. Its their talent/desire/toughness that fans pay to see.

I can never ever ever for the life of me understand fans of professional sports, especially the physically brutal sports like hockey, who take the side of ownership over players.

I mean look at the Bruins. Patrice Bergeron risks his life playing with a punctured lung to try to deliver a cup to Boston and you're telling me he's getting too much money and it instead should be going to some arrogant tight fisted billionaire like Jeremy Jacobs who was so cheap he made his employees cover the taxes on their stanley cup rings? Why?

And I vehemently disagree that everyone who boos Bettman is juvenile or uneducated or just hates authority in general. Haven't had the chance to boo him in person but if I did I would because he is and has been the proxy for incompetent owners who have shut down hockey 3 times in 19 years because the gms they hire are too dumb/lazy/incompetent to negotiate good deals and make payroll on an individual basis that they all need to band together to try and take more from the players after their dumb contracts and bad negotiations screw up the health of the league. Yes the players have a role in the discord as well but they haven't gone on strike these last 3 times. Its been owner-initiated lockouts fronted by owner stooge bettman.
you're around a year too late with your whining. The lockout and its blame has already been discussed to death.

And yes, those that boo Bettman are knuckledraggers. Get a life, or better yet, maybe just enjoy the hockey... ?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:44 PM
  #188
Fayne Staley
Sather is better
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 12,365
vCash: 500
No other fanbase had to follow Devils' fans....

They were pissed because of the rumors to Nashville, so Bettman was met with the boo birds.


Last edited by Fayne Staley: 06-28-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:52 PM
  #189
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,231
vCash: 500
i like the booing. bettman brings it on himself by being a horrible commissioner and his speeches are practically begging to be trashed for, it's like he's trolling

he should at the most, come out, say congrats, and hand it off. that's it.

he deserves every bottle thrown at him.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
  #190
Hot Water Bottle
Registered User
 
Hot Water Bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Oh please, the only "issue" going on is that people don't like his personal look and style. I don't think 99% of fans have a clue what he actually does in his job, let alone any of the factors that go into their team's business decisions.

Imagine if he was the exact same guy, but younger looking and wearing tribal tattoos ... those same fans would be roaring with approval.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:33 AM
  #191
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Kinda getting tired of the booing during situations like this. No other pro sport boos their commissioner during presentations.
somebody didn't watch the NBA Draft last night.

Not only was Stern getting booed, the man has been embracing it like a heel wrestler over the last few years.




Jump to 2:38 for his troll job with the crowd, where he thanks the crowd for "their warm hospitality and wonderful enthusiasm."

Even last night, he was having fun with it, saying "That booing is a form of respect."


But when it came time for him to announce his final pick as commish, the fans stood up and gave him a long standing O, which Stern came back with another comment that was pretty good for a commish.



Goodell has been booed at last year's draft and maybe even the 2012 draft.

Selig has been booed at the draft, the world series, the all-star game, and probably at his own family's dinner table. If you think NHL fans dislike Bettman, ask a baseball fan what they think about Selig.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:28 AM
  #192
hisgirlfriday
Registered User
 
hisgirlfriday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
Oh please, the only "issue" going on is that people don't like his personal look and style. I don't think 99% of fans have a clue what he actually does in his job, let alone any of the factors that go into their team's business decisions.

Imagine if he was the exact same guy, but younger looking and wearing tribal tattoos ... those same fans would be roaring with approval.
Except other people in this thread have said the problems they have with Bettman are not his appearance but his stewardship of the league. So these people do exist. Sure some people boo just because it is fun, but some genuinely want to express their displeasure with Bettman's stewardship of the league and feel like that is their best avenue to express that.

And personally I think guys with tribal tattoos look like even bigger toolbags than Bettman does in his typical commissioner style so I'm not really sure someone who ran the league like Bettman does is going to instantly get cred with the fans just based on a younger-looking appearance.

After all, as others have pointed out, every commissioner in professional sports does get booed to some extent. Most have reasons to deserve it even if some people are just booing for fun, like the way Stern was treated at last night's NBA draft.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
  #193
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Serbia
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 500
But you see, Stern didn't act like he had some stick up his ass. Bettman has that look everytime. And if it was about the look, but it is not. I am not sure I can trust 1% of the words that come out of his mouth, no matter about what he is talking.

I personally am pissed at him for all this crap draggin in Phoenix. I am pissed at him because of the Nordiques.

And all those people thinking Gary just represents the 29 (usually 30) owners. Think about the fact that if you wanna get into that restricted club, you don't have to be friend with 16 owners...you just gotta be pretty good friends with Gary. If you piss someone off, it doesn't take 16 owners to get you out of the club thru the backdoor, you only need to piss off Gary and you are out.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:35 AM
  #194
Vimm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Im getting Bernie Ecclestone (Formula 1) vibes from Bettman. Why try to be center of attention when there is a team that just won its second Stanley Cup in 4 years on the ice. Such a party pooper for me. Really took away a lot of the special feeling after Chicago won it. It was very odd and my father whom is not a hockey fan commented on it being weird and off as well.

Vimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
  #195
Hot Water Bottle
Registered User
 
Hot Water Bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Except other people in this thread have said the problems they have with Bettman are not his appearance but his stewardship of the league. So these people do exist.
There is nothing wrong with that, but that's a tiny minority of people in the stands. How many Average Joes in the stands really have any real concept of league stewardship issues?

The worst thing is, I'll bet that this is now a stupid embarrassing "tradition" that will follow all Stanley Cup presentations forever, no matter who the commissioner is.

Quote:
I am pissed at him because of the Nordiques.
Huh? Marcel Aubut was determined to sell the team - should he have chained himself to Marcel Aubut's desk or something? Not to mention that Quebec taxpayers refused to subsidize the team when it was losing money.

Quote:
And all those people thinking Gary just represents the 29 (usually 30) owners. Think about the fact that if you wanna get into that restricted club, you don't have to be friend with 16 owners...you just gotta be pretty good friends with Gary. If you piss someone off, it doesn't take 16 owners to get you out of the club thru the backdoor, you only need to piss off Gary and you are out.
Huh? Are you referring to that guy who wanted to buy the Penguins or Coyotes and move them to Hamilton? It's kind of more complicated than "being friends with Gary", including that the Leafs refused to accept a team in Hamilton.

Why don't people just admit that they don't like him for any real reason, but because they think he's an authority figure like this guy:


Last edited by Hot Water Bottle: 06-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
  #196
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
There is nothing wrong with that, but that's a tiny minority of people in the stands. How many Average Joes in the stands really have any real concept of league stewardship issues?

The worst thing is, I'll bet that this is now a stupid embarrassing "tradition" that will follow all Stanley Cup presentations forever, no matter who the commissioner is.


Huh? Marcel Aubut was determined to sell the team - should he have chained himself to Marcel Aubut's desk or something? Not to mention that Quebec taxpayers refused to subsidize the team when it was losing money.


Huh? Are you referring to that guy who wanted to buy the Penguins or Coyotes and move them to Hamilton? It's kind of more complicated than "being friends with Gary", including that the Leafs refused to accept a team in Hamilton.

Why don't people just admit that they don't like him for any real reason, but because they think he's an authority figure like this guy:
Very true......and the Animal House reference made me lol

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:26 PM
  #197
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
I am pissed at him because of the Nordiques.
Gary didn't personally move the Nordiques. But you CAN thank him for the fact that his relief fund for Canadian teams when the Canadian dollar was in the crapper kept more teams from moving to the US than two. Every Canadian team other than the Leafs and the Habs were in danger back then.

Oh but it must be Bettman's fault the Canadian dollar tanked

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
  #198
Behn Wilson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 500
They should just have Wayne Gretsky present the Cup instead.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.