HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2013 Thread I

Old
06-29-2013, 11:11 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

vCash: 500
What's happening here and who's up?

06-29-2013, 11:36 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
What's happening here and who's up?
Bubba's 12 hours are up, I'll notify the next GM.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Dreakmur

Maybe a long weekend isn't the best time to start skipping first round picks...

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Been sleeping, sorry for keeping u waiting

The Sheiks selects Jyrki Lumme, D

Edit: Dwight and Velo has been notified.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

I'll be ready down to 3 guys right now but still trying to catch up on research and make more detailed lists.

My biggest fear is taking a guy who has already been picked.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:28 PM
BubbaBoot

Sorry y'all, been really busy.

Can I take a pick?

What's the time I get penalized for?

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Sorry y'all, been really busy.

Can I take a pick?

What's the time I get penalized for?
Just make your pick and I think its one hour deduction

Old
06-29-2013, 03:49 PM
BubbaBoot

Boston Olympics pick CTR - Herb Jordan

Last edited by BubbaBoot: 06-29-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Tommy Smith taken in ATD
BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:08 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Boston Olympics pick CTR - Herb Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Chronicle, 6 Jan 1908
Herbie Jordan once more proved himself the peer on any centre man in the game to-day. Fast, aggressive, clear-headed and unselfish, he was a dangerous man around the poles. Time and time again he fooled the Ottawa defence and had LeSueur at his mercy.
An elusive, quick high-scoring center that may be ATD starter worthy given his success in leagues against ATD greats. He ought to be in the conversation when looking at ATD bench positions, at least as injury relief.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
An elusive, quick high-scoring center that may be ATD starter worthy given his success in leagues against ATD greats. He ought to be in the conversation when looking at ATD bench positions, at least as injury relief.
Given how relatively little respect Russell Bowie seems to get, I don't blame people for taking a pass on Jordan until the MLD

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Interesting pick, I'm just not sure how we can evaluate a center who is 5'0" and 130lbs though.

Even for the time that was small for a hockey player.

Old
06-29-2013, 04:58 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Even for the time that was small for a hockey player.
That's the point. He is small in his own era yet still effective, perhaps due to his elusiveness. The Ottawa Silver Seven were bloody mercenaries with plenty of descriptions of their viciousness, yet Jordan undressed them. His speed and shiftiness seems to have served him well. Theoren Fleury, Martin St. Louis, small players have thrived, but of course, at center is a bit different. There is a question mark about his ability up the middle of the ice. Yet, even if he plays the perimeter, with passing ability and a backchecking winger to play with, the coach could accommodate his weaknesses and capitalize on his strengths. His linemates will define how effective he will play.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
That's the point. He is small in his own era yet still effective, perhaps due to his elusiveness. The Ottawa Silver Seven were bloody mercenaries with plenty of descriptions of their viciousness, yet Jordan undressed them. His speed and shiftiness seems to have served him well. Theoren Fleury, Martin St. Louis, small players have thrived, but of course, at center is a bit different. There is a question mark about his ability up the middle of the ice. Yet, even if he plays the perimeter, with passing ability and a backchecking winger to play with, the coach could accommodate his weaknesses and capitalize on his strengths. His linemates will define how effective he will play.
How much variance is taken into account for the quality of the competition?

There has to be some of else a guy like Tony Hand could be a viable pick at some point?

I'm asking this in general and not just specifically of Jordan here.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
There has to be some of else a guy like Tony Hand could be a viable pick at some point?
Performing well in the TOP LEVEL of competition OF THE ERA is what matters.

The British leagues were never top level competition so anyone who played well there is such a huge question mark they'd wiesely be a bench player if anything (perhaps best left until after the AAA Draft - which comes later this year after the MLD, maybe the AA draft, as a nod).

Jordan played for Quebec against the best teams in Montreal and Ottawa, facing the greatest hockey players of the era, including most HHOFers (Bowie, McGee, Russell, Walsh, etc).

That's the difference.

The reason the 1970s-1980s Soviets and Czechoslovakian international players are respected in the ATDs is they proved themselves against the world's best of their era in international tourneys and touring play.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Performing well in the TOP LEVEL of competition OF THE ERA is what matters.

The British leagues were never top level competition so anyone who played well there is such a huge question mark they'd wiesely be a bench player if anything (perhaps best left until after the AAA Draft - which comes later this year after the MLD, maybe the AA draft, as a nod).

Jordan played for Quebec against the best teams in Montreal and Ottawa, facing the greatest hockey players of the era, including most HHOFers.

That's the difference.

The reason the 1970s-1980s Soviets and Czechoslovakian international players are respected in the ATDs is they proved themselves against the world's best of their era in international tourneys and touring play.
Okay that explains the Tony Hand part but there is a reason why Stamkos went substantially higher in this draft than Jordan right?

Pre NHL, heck even in the early years still, leagues and players were in flux and lots of the better players also wouldn't play in leagues as they remained amateurs so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

I know in the history section there seems to be an unspoken treating all eras more or less the same but I'm trying to get a lay of the land here and a grip of how to build my team and to present it.

Either way I have my first pick lined up and a small general list started, turning out to be more work than I thought but it's enjoyable.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:37 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Pre NHL, heck even in the early years still, leagues and players were in flux and lots of the better players also wouldn't play in leagues as they remained amateurs so it's a bit of a mixed bag.
True.

The NHA and PCHA were the two leagues that competed for the Stanley Cup int he teens, but before that the fragmentation between Canadian amateur and American earliest pro hockey - not to mention the jumping back and forth of players between them - make for "a mixed bag". The manitoba league gets a bit of respect too because of their Stanley Cup challenges and players who went elsewhere. But there are question marks in making comparisons in this era, hence why their role on a team and rank historically is harder to peg down and that's reflected in relatively a bit lower drafting status in the main ATD draft. The one historical thread that's respected, remembered and worthy of consideration is the Stanley Cup challenges as a historically significant competition throughout every era.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:37 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Okay that explains the Tony Hand part but there is a reason why Stamkos went substantially higher in this draft than Jordan right?

I know in the history section there seems to be an unspoken treating all eras more or less the same but I'm trying to get a lay of the land here and a grip of how to build my team and to present it.

Either way I have my first pick lined up and a small general list started, turning out to be more work than I thought but it's enjoyable.
There is also depth to consider. In Jordan's days, there were maybe only 18-20 regular forwards in his league, and there were multiple quality leagues, not consolidated. So being first in scoring among only 20 or so forwards with multiple quality leagues is not considered nearly as impressive as leading the NHL in scoring today, where there are theoretically 90 top line forwards and 360 forwards(12 forwards x 30 teams) that play regularly each game. It's a balancing act, and everyone's opinion is a little different how they treat split leagues, the best early Soviets in the 1950s and 1960s(who have great numbers, but lost to Canadian amateurs that barely made the NHL), the WHA, etc.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:54 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

TRADE DEAL:

To Regina: rounds 3,4,5,6
To Cornell: rounds 1,2,10, 11

seventieslord to confirm.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
TRADE DEAL:

Looks like 70s will win the draft

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:00 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
TRADE DEAL:

Confirmed.

Now I just have to figure out who's available. But unpacking my house has proven to be too big a draw.

So with that said, my 3rd round picks are also available if I can get some value on them. Looking forward to building a team somewhat unconventionally. You could never get away with this in the ATD, but in the mld, where you could arguably get a player a few rounds later as good as the ones you passed up.... maybe.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Looks like 70s will win the draft
was thinking the exact same thing

Old
06-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Laval Voisins select Rover Fred Whitcroft

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:51 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

HHOFer Whitcroft was a ringer, a big, fast, accurate hired gun for teams in three years of Stanley Cup challenges and he delivered the goals. He seems like the ultimate extra skater (in the ATD at best or MLD more reasonably), the kind of guy you bring off the bench in clutch situations. His career was mostly against lower level competition but when rented for best-on-best play he came through in spades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of the Mists Of the Past: Kenora Thistles
...a solid, compact frame that would have better suited a defenseman, but he also possessed great speed, on-ice agility, and a gift for nifty stickhandling-- the tools of a prolific scorer. As a result, Whitcroft often played the middle ice positions of cover point and rover.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

the Vancouver Millionaires are proud to select with their 1st overall pick one of the top 5 Dmen in the regular season and playoffs in his 5 year peak defense man Drew Doughty.

Bio to come as I'm moving my daughter today.

Drew doughty was the 2nd overall selection in the 2008 amateur entry draft, considered the best draft for top end defense man possibly ever.

[img] http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CEgQ9QEwCA [/img]

09 NHL Rookie all-star team (1st)
10 NHL All-star team (2nd)

08 member of the Gold Medal team at the WJHC winning the top Dman award

09 member of the Canadian entry which won a silver medal in the WHC with an impressive 9-1-6-7 plus 5 line

10 member of the 10 Canadian Olympic gold medal team with a 7-0-2-2- plus 6 line
12 the top Dman and serious consideration for the Conn Smythe for the Los Angeles Kings with a 20-4-12-16 plus 11 line and TOI of 26:09 (almost a full minute more than the next Dman and a little over 4 MPG than the 3rd highest Dman on that run)

Overall in his 5 year peak, Doughty has easily been one of the top 4 Dmen in the world combined regular season and playoffs.

Note: tried adding an image but it didn't work, any ideas?

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 06-30-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
06-30-2013, 10:55 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Will make my pick this afternoon before the actual NHL draft starts at 3 ET.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote