HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2013 Thread I

Old
07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
I'll finish off the roster with:

4th liner Orest Kindrachuk, C. Kindrachuk was a pesky, gritty, defensively-oriented lower line kind of player and a great leader, but was a surprisingly strong ES producer. Kindrachuk won't get PP time on my team, so it's pretty relevant that he had 294 ES points in his 508 career games.

From 1974-1978, Kindrachuk's time with the Flyers, he was the next best ES producer with 0.57 ESPPG, behind Clarke (0.79), MacLeish (0.66), Reggie Leach (0.63) and Bill Barber (0.60) - note that the last two were barely ahead, and they played with Clarke this whole time, and getting about 10-15% more ES ice time. Kindrachuk was playing with goons who shall remain nameless.

Utility player Walter Smaill, D/F, who can capably fill in just about anywhere if required.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=207

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:44 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

We were considering Smaill but decided to go a different direction. Good pick

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:16 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

i like Kindrachuk a lot better as a 4th liner than a 3rd liner, which is how he used to be used

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:47 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
i like Kindrachuk a lot better as a 4th liner than a 3rd liner, which is how he used to be used
Yeah. His ability to put up points in all situations is his best feature, not his defense. Although we have every reason to believe his defense was good, he was never THE go-to guy for that.

Although, that quote of his about playing the other teams best players on the road might actually be true. You'd expect on the road that when the other team has the last change, they'd try to get their best guys away from Clarke, and, potentially, to kindrachuk.

I think he was quite the unsung hero... but the whole 500 games thing is the only question mark.

About his production, I looked at a number of guys with intangibles to be a 4th liner, and naturally most had well over 500 games. I took their best 8 seasons (or about 500 games) and comparedbthem as even strength scorers to him. No one was even in his league.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

The Maine Mariners wrap up our team with picking Right Winger Mud Brunetau at Pick 285 and defenseman Bob Rouse at Pick 286.

Brunetau:

Rouse:

With 2 top 10 finishes in goals Bruneteau will add some scoring off the bench.

Known more for his defense than his offense Rouse should fill in quite ably if one of my defensive defensemen goes down with injury.

Next has been pmed.

07-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Dreakmur

We'll also take Ron Duguay, C/RW, Kent Douglas, D, and Bert McCaffrey, D/F.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:25 PM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

Oh and Re: The AAA draft count me in as joining. May need a co-GM as I'm going to be going to Edmonton for a week or 2 in the fall, unsure of the dates I'd be going.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:50 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

As it should be near the end of soccer season, I guess I, too, will try to join the AAA. Hopefully as a co-GM

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:49 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
We'll also take Ron Duguay, C/RW, Kent Douglas, D, and Bert McCaffrey, D/F.
All good picks.

Actually, Ron would have been a pretty good pick for me for kindrachuk's spot.

Last edited by seventieslord: 07-26-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Vancouver millionares take RW Tony Tanti who averaged over 40 goals per season in his 5 season peak (39-45 goals) and LW Petr Skriko

Last edited by Wrigley: 07-27-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:12 PM
seventieslord

Tanti is more of a AAA player. Skriko? I'd take him in about 500 more picks.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Tanti is more of a AAA player. Skriko? I'd take him in about 500 more picks.
It's my first draft and these 2 are nostalgic picks but I can make a pretty decent argument for them over some other guys chosen here.

Tanti for instance had that very good 5 year peak averaging just over 40 goals, it was the 80's but it's still impressive at this stage IMO.

Both players got a bit caught up in the changing guard of the NHL and choose an easier way to age, something that certainly doesn't hurt other players like Mats Naslund or Hakan Loob for instance.

Tanti is 12th in goals over his 5 year peak in the NHL.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals

Over his best 7 consecutive years he is still 15th, which at this stage of the MLD is pretty darn good for a bench guy.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals

Throw in his 3 very decent years and WEC line of 28-16-7-23 and we have a pretty decent scorer with great tip in ability around the net sitting on our bench.

Skriko only has a 4 year NHL peak, surrounded by some so-so years but he was also versatile playing both wings and was a SH threat as well with 12 SH goals in 541 NHL games.

His Olympic and international record is pretty decent as well.

These are bench guys here.

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 07-27-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old
07-27-2013, 02:27 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Tanti is 12th in goals over his 5 year peak in the NHL.

Over his best 7 consecutive years he is still 15th, which at this stage of the MLD is pretty darn good for a bench guy.
Indeed. And he played left wing and right wing so is a 'W'. I recall him vividly. He was an offensive force and could skate well. Howie Meeker used to compare others to him in his "Meeker's Magic Marker" analysis during CBC broadcasts, as he had an ability to beat defenders inside or out in a shifty way.

Now Skriko though? I liked Skriko very much, but he wouldn't have been a 2nd liner on one of the better NHL clubs of the era. He is a depth option for the AAA draft (or Double-A Draft, which some years we get to). It was clearly a homer pick. On the bench it won't hurt your team and he could handle 4th line minutes at this level if pressed, just without much impact other than holding his own.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:55 AM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Indeed. And he played left wing and right wing so is a 'W'. I recall him vividly. He was an offensive force and could skate well. Howie Meeker used to compare others to him in his "Meeker's Magic Marker" analysis during CBC broadcasts, as he had an ability to beat defenders inside or out in a shifty way.

Now Skriko though? I liked Skriko very much, but he wouldn't have been a 2nd liner on one of the better NHL clubs of the era. He is a depth option for the AAA draft (or Double-A Draft, which some years we get to). It was clearly a homer pick. On the bench it won't hurt your team and he could handle 4th line minutes at this level if pressed, just without much impact other than holding his own.
Skriko admittedly was a bit of a lazy pick, it's been a very long week and my ability, and even want, to do research was basically zero at this point, although I probably should have gone with a Dman here.

Live and learn I guess.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:03 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

just a driveby comment: I really like the Slim Halderson, Lou Fontinato, and Kent Douglas picks this late in the draft. I'm pretty sure all 3 were on my list for potential top 4 dmen in the last MLD.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:34 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Big Red select C/W Bill Clement

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1978"
Described by Denis Potvin as a "river skater"... a guy who can skate effortlessly without ever seeming to tire... after secondary roles with Flyers and Caps, blossomed into a respected two-way forwad with the Flames... rated one of the best penalty killers in the NHL... Five of his 17 goals came shorthanded... outstanding forechecker and backcheker...

Old
07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Big Red selects coach Ted Nolan, who won the Jack Adams trophy in Buffalo. He had previously gone three times straight to the Memorial Cup finals (winning it all the third time), and later in his career would coach a host team to the Memorial Cup the hard way: by winning the league championship rather than just sit back on their laurels as host (a hard motivational task). He also took the New York Islanders to the playoffs on an improbable late season run. He recently coached Team Latvia to three wins to qualify the team for the 2014 Olympics. He is a passionate leader whose players go to war for him time and again. Plenty of us who've watched teams he coaches play realize how much of a determined spirit he infects his players with: a player's coach.

Last edited by VanIslander: 08-23-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old
07-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Hamburg finishes off with D Risto Siltanen and RW Shorty Green

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:32 PM
BubbaBoot

The Boston Olympics finish up with: C/LW/RW Bryan Smolinski

and D Clarence Jamieson

(Have not been able to find a single solo pic of Jamieson....if anyone has one, please forward it to me.)

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:05 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
just a driveby comment: I really like the Slim Halderson, Lou Fontinato, and Kent Douglas picks this late in the draft. I'm pretty sure all 3 were on my list for potential top 4 dmen in the last MLD.
Indeed. All three were great picks.

Quote:
Big Red select C/W Bill Clement

Clement was the best 3rd line center in last year's AAA draft, but... I have him as exclusively a center. Where are you getting the wing part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
and D Clarence Jamieson

(Have not been able to find a single solo pic of Jamieson....if anyone has one, please forward it to me.)
What the .....

Look, if you can't find a picture of a guy, that might tell you something.

Seriously though, if you are wondering if a pick you're about to make is too "off the board", you should search the section and see if anyone has ever mentioned him before. If not, you need to have a REALLY good case for picking him. There are still defensemen who played 1000 NHL games and 20+ minutes a game. This guy was in the AHA (approximate O6 AHL equivalent, or a tad better) and was not even an all-star there. I'm seeing nothing here, what am I missing?

Old
07-29-2013, 06:16 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
What the .....

Look, if you can't find a picture of a guy, that might tell you something.

Seriously though, if you are wondering if a pick you're about to make is too "off the board", you should search the section and see if anyone has ever mentioned him before. If not, you need to have a REALLY good case for picking him. There are still defensemen who played 1000 NHL games and 20+ minutes a game. This guy was in the AHA (approximate O6 AHL equivalent, or a tad better) and was not even an all-star there. I'm seeing nothing here, what am I missing?
There's not a lot written about the guy but he was was fairly large for his era, a loose cannon who led the AHA in PIMs and was generally in the top 2 or 3 for defensemen in scoring to boot. A lot of his early years are speculatory but there's a few early newspaper features that have him at the center of an in-game riot, as well as his later years as a referee who chewed tobacco during the game.

My kind of guy...

Seriously, there was maybe one of those d-men with 1000+ games that I might've picked but I wanted a pure goon as a last backup and finding one that could also put some points up ()....and he did it in his 40's!!! Lordy I can only imagine what he was like in his prime....

Think of him as the Link Gartz of his time....if you don't, I don't give a ****.

Last edited by BubbaBoot: 07-29-2013 at 10:42 AM.
BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:29 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Clement was the best 3rd line center in last year's AAA draft, but... I have him as exclusively a center. Where are you getting the wing part?
A few places I recall, but the only one I can cite at the moment is in the bio I linked when I made the pick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1976
Caps believe they landed a future star in this smooth skating center-winger...
I'll try to dig up the other left wing references I've come across. For sure he was center when he scored the cup-clinching goal for the Flyers in 1975, and for most of his career it seems. Listing him at 'C' exclusively until significant play at the other position can be shown is apt.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

Should someone contact velo to see what's up with him and if he's going to make up his picks? Hopefully hobnobs will be back soon as well and Billy's supposed to be back today. We get their picks and we can conclude the drafting part of this and move onto the assasinations and playoffs.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:31 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

I Have PM'd twice the three team's GMs with picks left to make. Three times a charm?

PLease PM them. That might help.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

Quote:
I Have PM'd twice the three team's GMs with picks left to make. Three times a charm?

PLease PM them. That might help.
I've spoke to hobnobs on Facebook, he's hoping to be back soon. Billy said last week he'd be back on Monday to make his picks. That leaves velo as the only person "unaccounted" for. I'll pm him now.