HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Hawks win the Cup/Boston loses the cup?

Old
06-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Madevilz

vCash: 500
Lettuce be cerial, PG was the main reason the Hawks won it all.
And he did all that in his first season.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:48 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'm no fan but... the guy also acquired picks/prospects by trading Cammy, AK and Gill...
He acquired picks when the team was falling apart due to his own incompetence. Now GMs should be praised for tanking and getting picks?

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
How much for Bickell?
3M? 4M?

This guy is reaching the top of his value.
There will be teams going after him with big money.

Habs would be better off looking for the next Bickell in AHL than paying big $ for him.

To get more than 37 points, Bickell will need to be a top-6.

Is he better than Malone at the same age?

As for Bolland, he is still under contact for another year.

Before the UFA market appear, Bickell will be valued at nearly 5M.
Most likely Habs will put over 3M on the table but some teams will offer much more.
Habs will find their own Bickell in the 2nd or 3rd round of the upcoming draft, not by going after him on the FA market. However, we may have to wait a few seasons before we see this surrogate suit up in the Bell Centre.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:54 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
He acquired picks when the team was falling apart due to his own incompetence. Now GMs should be praised for tanking and getting picks?
So, you think they were bad moves I guess ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Dont act as if you're any better, trying to "downplay" whatever good moves he did. As weird as the guy could be, trading guys like Gill, AK and Cammy were good moves.
It took a crashing to 28th place in the league (and probably a realization he was in tough to keep his job) for this epiphany to happen. If Gauthier had awareness of his teams situation 2 years earlier and was interested in building he'd get credit from me and I am sure many others. As it is his performance is unforgettable and not in a good way.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
That's not what he wrote. He said that he traded his own mistakes as an executive manager. He had his fingers prints for bringing Cammalleri, Gill and by keeping too long a guy like Kostitsyn in our organization.

Gauthier is a good hockey person but, he was terrible to run a hockey club. I'm 100% behind that comment or statement.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:10 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
That's not what he wrote. He said that he traded his own mistakes as an executive manager. He had his fingers prints for bringing Cammalleri, Gill and by keeping too long a guy like Kostitsyn in our organization.

Gauthier is a good hockey person but, he was terrible to run a hockey club. I'm 100% behind that comment or statement.
and saying he deserves praises and accolades is not what I wrote

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:19 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Getting picks when the team is tanking obviously making the right decision...but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tank a team and trade UFAs for picks.

A GM should never put a team in that situation to begin with, especially when the team becomes a laughing stock because of the lack of class and professionalism that is shown while doing it.

Are people actually defending Gauthier? Amazing how time heals all wounds. The guy was HORRIBLE!

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Yes, which puts him at best a push on the picks front. Every few weeks someone comes in with a Gauthier vindication post (or thread) which tries to convince people he was an builder type GM. He also sent picks away in acquiring Moore, Wiz, Tinordi and got fairly hosed whenever he tried to deal a young player.

Anyhoo, that's old news but I cringe when someone tries to sell Gauthier long on great qualities that don't exist.
He added more picks than he traded away.

For all the crap Gauthier took, he wasn't a bad GM at asset mangement, his leadership and dealing with people are what got him fired and hated by some.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:54 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
How ?

They're constantly in the playoffs. They've won a cup recently and just made it to the finals again.
To put the Bruins success in perspective, they've won 50 playoff games dating back to 07/08, when we beat them in 7 games.

That's more playoff wins than we've accumulated (44) SINCE OUR LAST CUP.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that we're not at the level of the Hawks or Bruins, and that ultimately how we match up with them in the regular season means jack and squat. Playoff hockey, as we see year after year, is a different beast, and we've not been equipped to play it for a long time.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm also glad because a ''skill and speed team'' just beat 2 ''big/rough/physical teams'' in rounds 3 and 4. Yes, Chicago has some big guys, but their identity is a speed and skill game.

NHL hockey would have probably become fairly ugly if the Bruins had won again. Virtually everyone would have tried to copy them - with most teams having nowhere near the same personnel.

Thank god.
Chicago's skill is on another level from ours but anyways the skill players they have don't shy away from physical contact, at all. Sharp, Toews, Kane always going back getting some and never backing down. And Bickell no one challenged him, they have big boys that can hit as well.

Anyways I'm just happy the better team won and that Bergevin will try and build the same type of team but he has a **** load of work still to do to get even close to that level of play

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
I'm no fan but... the guy also acquired picks/prospects by trading Cammy, AK and Gill...
Okay so nobody is claiming he's the Next Mike Milbury....only the adopted son of Mad Mike.

I'm happy that The Blackhawks won for a # of reasons.

1) I despise the Bruins and their thug mentality
2) I love the way the Hawks play hockey
3) Did I mention I detest the Bruins
4) If the Bruins would have won we would have seen more thuggery and wolf pack mentality with some other teams imitating the winners.
5) I forgot to mention I hate the Bruins
6) I would have committed hari kari if the Hawks would have lost.
7) The Hawks have been my distant, distant 2nd favorite team
8) Oh yeah.......I hate the Bruins.
9) Loved seeing the long face on Cam Neely. I don't know why but that guy rubs me the wrong way. Yes I know it's irrational nut I don't like him.
10) I forgot to add that I dislike the Bruins

NOTE I feel bad for Bergeron. He's one of my favorite players but that's what you get for staying with the Bears.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Really? Vindication for Gauthier supporters?

He just got there.. he didn't DO anything. Did the Hawks even make a signing or trade since he's been hired?
I'm just waiting for the day he suggests to management to pick up Gomez, Kaberle or change the team concept to midget A players.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
There are two answers to your question.

Even Mike Milbury made some decent moves - doesn't make him a good GM.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
There are two answers to your question.

Even Mike Milbury made some decent moves - doesn't make him a good GM.

A broken clock is right twice a day.
Your complete aversion to logic and sanity says a lot about you.

Edit: but let's stop bickering - the leafs got embarrassed, and the bruins lost. Not a bad playoffs.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Okay so nobody is claiming he's the Next Mike Milbury....only the adopted son of Mad Mike.

I'm happy that The Blackhawks won for a # of reasons.

1) I despise the Bruins and their thug mentality
2) I love the way the Hawks play hockey
3) Did I mention I detest the Bruins
4) If the Bruins would have won we would have seen more thuggery and wolf pack mentality with some other teams imitating the winners.
5) I forgot to mention I hate the Bruins
6) I would have committed hari kari if the Hawks would have lost.
7) The Hawks have been my distant, distant 2nd favorite team
8) Oh yeah.......I hate the Bruins.
9) Loved seeing the long face on Cam Neely. I don't know why but that guy rubs me the wrong way. Yes I know it's irrational nut I don't like him.
10) I forgot to add that I dislike the Bruins

NOTE I feel bad for Bergeron. He's one of my favorite players but that's what you get for staying with the Bears.
It's heart warming to find that i'm not alone in my near-pathologic hatred of the gooins. Skill beats thuggery etc. Penicillin beats STDs. The planets are realigned and hopefully gms will "build" Hawk-like teams vs cave dweller teams.

Last edited by Istvan: 06-25-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: sp
Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Your complete aversion to logic and sanity says a lot about you.

Edit: but let's stop bickering - the leafs got embarrassed, and the bruins lost. Not a bad playoffs.
...and the Habs were destroyed , exposing weaknesses in the process.

there are no opportunities to feel good when you see a debacle like the Habs put on against Ottawa. I can't feel good about 1 victory when the Bruins get 14 .

Old
06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
LesHabs66

One of the best parts of the Bruins meltdown was in the opener on CBC in which Donald Cherry guarantee that the series would go 7 games. How did that work out, Don?

I was impressed that Chicago did not get down once Boston scored the first goal and then then took the lead late in the 3rd. 17 seconds. Imagine throwing a season away withing less time than most radio commercials take. Gotta love seeing Chara on the ice when goals are scored. Kinda hard to cheapshot a moving target with cement skates, eh Zdeno?

The chances of Chicago not re-signing Bickell...who knows. He will be expensive and will he want to play in MTL? Hard to say.

LesHabs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Quote:
...and the Habs were destroyed , exposing weaknesses in the process.

there are no opportunities to feel good when you see a debacle like the Habs put on against Ottawa. I can't feel good about 1 victory when the Bruins get 14 .
I'm not sure if you saw my posts during or following the series but I was very much critical of Bergevin and Therrien and this team as a whole.

Bergevin hasn't shown anything, and Therrien got out-coached by Maclean despite having a superior team on paper. I'm very much disappointed in the Habs but at some point I got over it and can enjoy Toronto and Boston also not winning.

Edit: hell, I was even critical of Price.

This team played like cowards and losers, the tactics failed and the players failed. We weren't better at any point in any game we lost - perimeter play and lack of bravery.

That's why I want to get bigger, meaner, tougher as much as I want the team to get more skillful. That's why I want to get rid of "okay" players like Gionta, Desharnais and Bouillon and actually finally upgrade for once to above-average players.

I'm sick of past management (yes, even my intended, my beloved Gauthier) being reactive and lethargic. We weren't players or threats or contenders ever in the past so many years, we never had "too much" talent, we never had "too much size" or "too much speed". It was always patience, "timmins will take care of it" or "wait till Price grows". And then Gainey buys a bunch of overpaid mercenaries and during our "miracle run" we ended up getting pummelled and embarrassed by the Flyers anyway.

Don't tell me to be sad, I already am.

Out of every coach available they hired effin Michel Therrien, who narrowly beat out Marc effin Crawford. Says all we need to know about the Habs if you ask me. Insistent on being aggressively mediocre.

And 35 good games with fast and loose defense don't compensate for 12 putrid games and a 5-and-out to the Spezza-less Sens.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 06-25-2013 at 10:02 AM.
WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
BrimStone64

Some Boston fans on my facebook are taking this very hard. 100x worse than Ottawa beating us

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm not sure if you saw my posts during or following the series but I was very much critical of Bergevin and Therrien and this team as a whole.

Bergevin hasn't shown anything, and Therrien got out-coached by Maclean despite having a superior team on paper. I'm very much disappointed in the Habs but at some point I got over it and can enjoy Toronto and Boston also not winning.

Edit: hell, I was even critical of Price.

This team played like cowards and losers, the tactics failed and the players failed. We weren't better at any point in any game we lost - perimeter play and lack of bravery.

That's why I want to get bigger, meaner, tougher as much as I want the team to get more skillful. That's why I want to get rid of "okay" players like Gionta, Desharnais and Bouillon and actually finally upgrade for once to above-average players.

I'm sick of past management (yes, even my intended, my beloved Gauthier) being reactive and lethargic. We weren't players or threats or contenders ever in the past so many years, we never had "too much" talent, we never had "too much size" or "too much speed". It was always patience, "timmins will take care of it" or "wait till Price grows". And then Gainey buys a bunch of overpaid mercenaries and during our "miracle run" we ended up getting pummelled and embarrassed by the Flyers anyway.

Don't tell me to be sad, I already am.

Out of every coach available they hired effin Michel Therrien, who narrowly beat out Marc effin Crawford. Says all we need to know about the Habs if you ask me. Insistent on being aggressively mediocre.

And 35 good games with fast and loose defense don't compensate for 12 putrid games and a 5-and-out to the Spezza-less Sens.
Nice prologue to your original post, I like it. And agree.

On the coach selection, this is a function of politics and the fact that the NHL is coach ECO friendly - recycle, reuse, ********. I mean , Tortorella has a job doesn't that say it all.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Some Boston fans on my facebook are taking this very hard. 100x worse than Ottawa beating us
Example ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Oh really? I can't imagine why.

06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
The biggest bunch of sore losers, the Bruins fans I know are like that as well, very very childish

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
I mean , Tortorella has a job doesn't that say it all.
Why does he suck exactly? i mean, except for a few ramblings of a few pissed of players, why does he suck?
I've always been a fan, and it feels like the media and fans are fixated on his "persona" , his attitude, giving him a bad rep based on that. Something that's almost irrelevant to coaching.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote