HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

RIP Playoffs 1994-2013

Old
06-26-2013, 03:26 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Agreed. The cross over should only exist so long as there is an imbalance. Once every division gets to eight teams, there is no good reason for a cross-over.
No, no, that wasn't what I meant. I think they should keep the 2 Conferences and continue to use the top-8 per Conference, but only cross over when one Division has 5 Playoff teams in the top-8 and the other has only 3 in the top-8.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Catamo
NHL2com League

vCash: 1171
This new setting doesn't look as good unpaper as the old one.

Hoping it surprises.

Catamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:00 PM
CapitalistInfidel

I like division A. For once the Canucks don't have a cakewalk to the division championship. That's one tough division with L.A., Vancouver, San Jose, and Anaheim. Even Phoenix isn't an easy win for anyone.

CapitalistInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:03 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

the new system is incredibly stupid, fans see the same teams over and over again as is in their division, now you devote entire playoff rounds to this crap. horrible. the top 8 teams in a conference should make the playoffs, not this retarded system they are trying

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

RIP system that makes any sense whatsoever.

The NHL will always be #4 because the NHL likes to make things difficult for itself with idiotic and overly busy methods of operating.

"We go again." -Steven Gerrard
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
the new system is incredibly stupid, fans see the same teams over and over again as is in their division, now you devote entire playoff rounds to this crap. horrible. the top 8 teams in a conference should make the playoffs, not this retarded system they are trying
Yeah, rivalries are retarded.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Quarter
Nullius in verba

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post

You're right... rivalries are terrible.

Quarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Roomtemperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post

You're right... rivalries are terrible.
Whooo nothing like that Buffalo Detroit rivalry.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Hesher
Church of MacKinnon

vCash: 4968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
All it takes is one or two cheapshots and you have a rivalry.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Roomtemperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
That can be said about any team you've ever met in the playoffs

Old
06-27-2013, 11:21 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
Well then, not much reason to change the current Divisions, and a lot of Playoff matchups have been re-occurring fairly regularly but not so much as to get boring, so I don't see why the change. Because I agree with you, it doesn't take a whole lot to start a rivalry.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:05 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
First off, I don't know if you know anyone that watched hockey in the 70s and 80s, but I don't think anyone got sick of seeing the same teams making the playoffs every year. Have u not heard of a little thing called a "dynasty". Also, you need to realize that this structure was around since 1994. Back then the teams to make the playoffs pretty consistently were Colorado, Dallas, New Jersey, Detroit, St. Louis, Toronto, during certain stretches, among other teams.

Secondly, you don't like playing the same team every playoff? Understandable, but I like this thing called a "rivarly". It builds great story, great games and makes the game, to me, more attractive. I would rather face the Bruins 5x in a row or the Leafs 5x in a row, then face Florida one year, Washington the other, Pittsburgh the next year, etc.

Moving Dallas or Nasvhille to the Southeast puts them in the Detroit cunundrum of 1995-2013, where 70% of your games now are played outside of your timezone and in some cases right after the 2nd GB lockout, 90% of your games played outside your timezone because you played your division like 32 times, the rest of your conference 40 times, and the other conference like 10 times.

As a Detroit fan, I would be pissed for years that I have to wait till 8:00/8:30 and go to bed at 11ish to watch my team play. It's terrible.

The best thing they ever did was move Columbus and Detroit to the Eastern Time Zone.

So the kind of treatment where the Wings spent almost 20 years outside their timezone in their division?

Nashville to the SE would have been just as bad as Detroit in the Central.

I think what they should do in this new setup is have the division winners finish 1-2 and 3-8 should be the 6 next best teams in order of points. Seems to be the most fair.

I don't know why they don't go to this style?
Someone who understands the realignment. I thought nobody else did based on this and some other threads.

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Well then, not much reason to change the current Divisions, and a lot of Playoff matchups have been re-occurring fairly regularly but not so much as to get boring, so I don't see why the change. Because I agree with you, it doesn't take a whole lot to start a rivalry.
But now those teams will also meet in the regular season more often to help the rivalry. Why do you think there is no NY-WSH rivalry yet?

Old
06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
I agree, ending that heated Columbus/Dallas rivalry so that Detroit and Buffalo can have a rivalry was a really stupid move.

See? I can go out of my way to miss the point too.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
But now those teams will also meet in the regular season more often to help the rivalry. Why do you think there is no NY-WSH rivalry yet?
I may be wrong, but I think that now they're going to meet 5 times rather than 4.

And their Playoff series haven't got so intense, is my answer. Intensity of the series doesn't need you to be in the same Division; Chicago and Vancouver proved that, Detroit-Colorado proved that. And yet teams in the same Division sometimes don't have intense Playoff series against each other.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:42 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think that now they're going to meet 5 times rather than 4.

And their Playoff series haven't got so intense, is my answer. Intensity of the series doesn't need you to be in the same Division; Chicago and Vancouver proved that, Detroit-Colorado proved that. And yet teams in the same Division sometimes don't have intense Playoff series against each other.
But more rivalries are between teams in the same division. BOS-MTR, NRY-NJ, DET-TOR(when they were in the same divisions), DET-CHI, etc. There are probably more I'm overlooking but rivalries are mostly between divisions.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:00 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
But more rivalries are between teams in the same division. BOS-MTR, NRY-NJ, DET-TOR(when they were in the same divisions), DET-CHI, etc. There are probably more I'm overlooking but rivalries are mostly between divisions.
Ahhh, what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Old
06-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Why are people complaining this system is so confusing?

Top three teams from each division.
Top two teams remaining from each conference.

Seems straightforward to me, unless I missed something. I do dislike playing against the division so frequently though. While the rivalries may be fresh now. Even the Habs/Bruins near constant series recently became a little stale.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Roomtemperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post

Seems straightforward to me, unless I missed something. I do dislike playing against the division so frequently though. While the rivalries may be fresh now. Even the Habs/Bruins near constant series recently became a little stale.
Its not confusing... its just awful

Old
06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post

Seems straightforward to me, unless I missed something.
Hockey fans will get it. The average dingbat is gonna say "lolwut?" The NHL continues to alienate the casual fan.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Roomtemperature

I don't get why people say we will see more rivalry games in this system. We had the Bruins play the Habs 3 times in 8 seasons, the Devils play the Rangers 3 times in 8 seasons, the Flyers and Penguins met 3 times as well. Admittedly those are Eastern conference things but will it be happening that much more then what it is.

The Rangers and Capitals met 4 times in like 5 seasons and is that a blood feud at this point? Outside looking in not really. Mostly what I read is they are sick of playing each other. So don't give me rivalries will develop. It can't be forced just because they play each other often.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
I don't get why people say we will see more rivalry games in this system. We had the Bruins play the Habs 3 times in 8 seasons, the Devils play the Rangers 3 times in 8 seasons, the Flyers and Penguins met 3 times as well. Admittedly those are Eastern conference things but will it be happening that much more then what it is.

The Rangers and Capitals met 4 times in like 5 seasons and is that a blood feud at this point? Outside looking in not really. Mostly what I read is they are sick of playing each other. So don't give me rivalries will develop. It can't be forced just because they play each other often.
Not between the players. Between the fans it's a full blown holy war

Old
06-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Crayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
You have at least four first-round series that are played within divisions. You can theoretically have some odd record matches because of that, but it's really unlikely. It's a compromise between the current format and a straight 1-8, with a detour into encouraging divisional rivalries.
You will have at least SIX (of eight) first-round series played within divisions.

"You can theoretically have some odd record matches." TRUE, and if they have this whole hullaballoo about division winners and wild cards being matched by record, I don't know why they don't just get rid of odd record matches entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Isn't it just top-4 in each division with a crossover possibility? In other words, if A5 > B4, then A5 takes B4's spot? What's so hard about that? The CFL's done it for years.
That would be a simpler way for them to implement it. As of now, if A5 > B4, then A5 plays the stronger of B1 or A1, while A4 will play the weaker.
Quote:
The crossover should only happen when there's an odd number of Playoff teams in the Divisions: 3/5. Crossing over teams when there are 4 Playoff teams in both Divisions is just plain stupid!!
Actually, I have heard that this very issue will be re-examined before etching it in stone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernILHawksFan View Post
Wish they just went with straight divisional playoffs. I'm glad realignment's here but I liked the four-conference format proposed last season.
I liked last year's proposed alignment too. I would not have minded (mound?) 4 league-wide wild-cards or a best#5 vs. worst#4 1-game safety valve.

My rules for a competent quasi-divisional playoff (quasi meaning sometimes it is 3/5 instead of 4/4):
1. Play as many divisional series as possible
2. A higher ranked team within a division always plays a team with a worse record
2b. If multiple pairing solutions are present, the one that keeps #1 and #2 playing #7 and #8 is chosen

The NHL implemented the first of these rules, but would anybody object to the second? I think ABSOLUTELY if you finish ahead of another team in your division you should not be penalized with a more difficult opponent.

Last edited by Crayton: 06-28-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Crayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Someone who understands the realignment. I thought nobody else did based on this and some other threads.
Many fans think the teams can just be shuffled around on a standings board like some kind of fantasy draft, without impacting the very real business decisions that the franchises have to make, or taking into account the politics in play around the table. It's somewhat unfortunate.

Taking apart an unrealistic alignment proposal is kind of like swatting down the "The Panthers will move to Canada" myth that keeps popping up around here. It gets annoying pretty quickly.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:39 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
The uneven divisions are going to make for some extreme stupidity come the end of the season next year.

Hopefully they expand or contract 2 teams ASAP. It's pretty inexcusable for a major sports league to have uneven divisions in 2013.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote