HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXIV: Season over. It begins...

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 01:30 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
The same can be said for the Dustin Brown's and Alex Burrows types because watching them cause a ruckus against your team is terrible to watch. However if given the opportunity you'd have to take them on your team.

29 teams in the league hate those players, that's a good thing.
I don't want them on this team either. I want the rules properly altered to remove their BS from the game.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:32 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I don't want them on this team either. I want the rules properly altered to remove their BS from the game.
That's all fine and dandy to want, but the fact of the matter is they're allowed to play like that. LA wouldn't have won a cup without Brown, and Burrows played a huge role in getting Vancouver to game 7 of the finals.

Players like them are a big addition to a team regardless of your moral standpoint, unfortunately.

I love your game reviews by the way man, no offense intended.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:35 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

We can't change the way the game is played. Frankly, as awful and dirty as those players are, they do help teams win in this league and I'd rather have them on my side than not.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
TJ Galiardi out in SJS plays a similar game to Clutterbuck - probably could be had for 1/2 the price.
He's also from Alberta, Calgary boy. I'd be pretty happy with Galiardi on the Oilers.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:38 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
We can't change the way the game is played.
Of course it can be changed. Drop the instigator rule. Or suspend these guys for their dirty hits. Don't immediately rush to protect them after they do something stupid. The dirty hitters get more protection than the stars of the league do at present. No reason for that.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:39 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I do hear what LMHF is saying. I think we each have a player or two that we absolutely despise and wouldn't have on the team so when they come up in trade talk we puke in our mouths a little just thinking about them.

For me that's Carcillo... for others it might be Cooke or half the Nucks roster.

Point is we all have players we hate with a passion and we don't want them anywhere near the team.

This roster definitely does need an injection of grit, sandpaper, truculence, physicality and toughness... but then there's the players that bring dirt along with them... some of us are ok with adding some dirt to the lineup, other aren't and that's when we get some vitriol thrown around and disagreements between posters with different levels of tolerance for "dirt".

Old
06-25-2013, 01:40 AM
SHO NUFF*

Quote:
He plays a cheap, cowardly game that endangers his teammates and is an embarassment to hockey. He is not tough, taking on only players he has no business messing with. In the pre-instigator era a fighter would probably have bashed his face beyond recognition by now.

You want players who are tough and play an honorable game. He does not. It is all knees, charges and hits from behind. Garbage. Absolute garbage.
Completely agree. We need character as much as we need push back. Clutterbuck has none of it. The kids will have to have their heads on a swivel all year because of that fool running around.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:41 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Of course it can be changed. Drop the instigator rule. Or suspend these guys for their dirty hits. Don't immediately rush to protect them after they do something stupid. The dirty hitters get more protection than the stars of the league do at present. No reason for that.
I didn't say the game couldn't be changed. I said we can't change it. We're discussing potential free agent signings and trades for the upcoming off season on an online forum. We aren't changing the rules of the NHL.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:43 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post

I love your game reviews by the way man, no offense intended.
Thank you very much for reading them. No offense taken at all. Just very strident on this point and this player specifically. It would make me ill to see him in an Oilers uniform.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Typical.

Ya know, I remember when sarcasm wasn't your only schtick. I know the team's been bad, but step your bloody game up. You're better than this.
Fact of the matter is we need to get harder to play against. Would you rather Yakupov and Hall play against Clutterbuck, or with him? Did you like having Marchment on the team, or playing against Marchment?

Old
06-25-2013, 01:46 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I do hear what LMHF is saying. I think we each have a player or two that we absolutely despise and wouldn't have on the team so when they come up in trade talk we puke in our mouths a little just thinking about them.

For me that's Carcillo... for others it might be Cooke or half the Nucks roster.

Point is we all have players we hate with a passion and we don't want them anywhere near the team.

This roster definitely does need an injection of grit, sandpaper, truculence, physicality and toughness... but then there's the players that bring dirt along with them... some of us are ok with adding some dirt to the lineup, other aren't and that's when we get some vitriol thrown around and disagreements between posters with different levels of tolerance for "dirt".
Good points.

I'm all for a tough guy who can play hockey, hits anything that moves and is accountable for his actions. Those guys can be helpful and are a rallying point for a team. I'm even sometimes in favor of getting whoever the modern incarnation of Dave Brown is to scare the crap out of other teams if necessary. So long as it is face to face and honest.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:51 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Fact of the matter is we need to get harder to play against. Would you rather Yakupov and Hall play against Clutterbuck, or with him? Did you like having Marchment on the team, or playing against Marchment?
I'd rather have a strong skating hitter to neutralize each from puck drop, and a borderline nutzo on the fourth line every 6th game who doesn't care much about getting tossed for instigating.

Marchment would have been much more effective if he just played the game. He was actually a pretty solid hockey player. The sideshow stuff made him a joke. Mironov's toughness was more of an asset to the team than Mush's.

Give me a modern Mike Grier with strong shoulders.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:52 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Good points.

I'm all for a tough guy who can play hockey, hits anything that moves and is accountable for his actions. Those guys can be helpful and are a rallying point for a team. I'm even sometimes in favor of getting whoever the modern incarnation of Dave Brown is to scare the crap out of other teams if necessary. So long as it is face to face and honest.
Do you remember the Mark Messier elbow on the Russian? Or the clubbing roundhouse punch from behind on Jamie Macoun?

Messier was a dirty as they come but we all cheered for him and thought he was awesome. It all depends on perspective. I suppose you were calling for Hall to be suspended for his gaudy knee on Clutterbuck?

Old
06-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
What makes you think a third line needs multiple fighters to be successful?
Because we need an overabundance of toughness that can play in the bottom 6 since we have none in the top 6.

Quote:
Coward Clutterbuck is a joke piece of garbage hockey player who shouldn't be within 1000 miles of this hockey team.

No hockey makes some of you certifiably nuts.
No offense but you said the exact same thing when we got Sutton and I rather enjoyed having him on our team and wish that we could've gotten 2-3 years out of him. I don't like Clutterbuck as an opposing player and I think that he can be cheap, but we need someone to run the other teams top guys when they run ours ad Clutterbuck fits that description to a T.

Quote:

06-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Paralyzer008

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Korpikoski-Weiss-Yakupov
Penner-Burmistrov-Clutterbuck
Paajarvi-Zubrus-D.Jones

I was looking at the Chicago model and came up with this roster. It's just for fun, it's not meant to be serious. We'd have to trade for Korpikoski, Clutterbuck and Burmistrov while signing Weiss, Penner, Zubrus and David Jones (amnesty in this scenario) which is basically impossible.

Gagner would be traded for D help.

Old
oilerfan17

Is it just me or is the board surprisingly consistent in the specific player moves we want this year? Lots of Hemsky-for-Smiths, picks-for-Peverley, people wanting Boychuk, Clutterbuck (LMHF notwithstanding). Reminds me of the '08 draft when almost everyone on here wanted Eberle at 22. We can only hope those moves would work half as well.

I personally think nabbing Peverley + Boychuk out of Boston is key to improving both the defense and the bottom six, even if you have to give up a guy like Marincin to do it. With Boychuk added you can concentrate on adding the Smiths, Tootoos, and Clutterbucks and know you're only a Paul Ranger away from a much-improved defense as well. If not, all that improvement in the bottom six might be for naught, considering the defense is currently bad enough to keep the team out of the postseason.

Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
xxx - Nugent Hopkins - Eberle
Paajarvi - Peverley - Clutterbuck
Brown - Smith - Tootoo

Smid - Petry
Ranger - Boychuk
Belov - Schultz

Trade N. Schultz to fill the xxx and you're golden.

Old
duul

Quote:
Good points.

Who would you have in mind? I don't know of many players besides the ones I listed that can lay big hits, cause a ruckus and put the puck in the net. Add in the fact Clutterbuck seems to shopped around and we have a perfect scenario to add a player that would improve this club a lot. I can guarantee it would be water under the bridge for Hall and the rest of the players who at this point in time absolutely hate the guy.

I'm all for getting a different player who plays a more respectable game, but I don't know of any who are possibly being traded and bring what he does.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:55 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Do you remember the Mark Messier elbow on the Russian? Or the clubbing roundhouse punch from behind on Jamie Macoun?

Messier was a dirty as they come but we all cheered for him and thought he was awesome. It all depends on perspective. I suppose you were calling for Hall to be suspended for his gaudy knee on Clutterbuck?
Messier would fight you, not run and hide behind the linesman.

I wish Hall had actually gone for a crushing open ice hit on Clutterbuck like I thought he did. He claims he didn't.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:55 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I'd rather have a strong skating hitter to neutralize each from puck drop, and a borderline nutzo on the fourth line every 6th game who doesn't care much about getting tossed for instigating.

Marchment would have been much more effective if he just played the game. He was actually a pretty solid hockey player. The sideshow stuff made him a joke. Mironov's toughness was more of an asset to the team than Mush's.

Give me a modern Mike Grier with strong shoulders.
Sure. Give me Milan Lucic. But if he isnt available I might consider Clutterbuck. Fact is Im tired of watching this team get run out of the rink with little or no pushback. Would be nice if other teams didnt see Edmonton as the free square on the bingo card. Im hopeful that Eakins will see fit to actually play the physical players he does have, which has been a problem the last few years.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:57 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Korpikoski-Weiss-Yakupov
Penner-Burmistrov-Clutterbuck
Paajarvi-Zubrus-D.Jones

I was looking at the Chicago model and came up with this roster. It's just for fun, it's not meant to be serious. We'd have to trade for Korpikoski, Clutterbuck and Burmistrov while signing Weiss, Penner, Zubrus and David Jones (amnesty in this scenario) which is basically impossible.

Gagner would be traded for D help.
I am EXTREMELY high on Korpikoski but he would not be good enough to play 2nd or even possibly 3rd line here. He is an amazing player, similar to MPS but he would kill penalties. He's a big body, fast, and very defensively responsible.

I have a feeling it would take a decent amount to get him out of Phoenix.

Old
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Because we need an overabundance of toughness that can play in the bottom 6 since we have none in the top 6.

No offense but you said the exact same thing when we got Sutton and I rather enjoyed having him on our team and wish that we could've gotten 2-3 years out of him. I don't like Clutterbuck as an opposing player and I think that he can be cheap, but we need someone to run the other teams top guys when they run ours ad Clutterbuck fits that description to a T.
Run other teams' best guys from the front. Not the back.

I booed Sutton a ton. Thankfully he at least toned down the psycho media stuff while he was here.

Old
timekeep

Just curious, why are the Wild done with Clutterbuck? I would love to have him or Tootoo.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:58 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Messier would fight you, not run and hide behind the linesman.

I wish Hall had actually gone for a crushing open ice hit on Clutterbuck like I thought he did. He claims he didn't.
Messier would also goon you as he did in the two examples I gave. He would never run and hide, but he would and did do despicable things on the ice. Bobby Clarke and the two handed slash on Kharlamov is another example. That play is still looked at today as a heroic event in that series by many.

One wonders how Canadians would feel if Kharlamov did that to Clarke? I would think the reaction would have been altogether different.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:00 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Just curious, why are the Wild done with Clutterbuck? I would love to have him or Tootoo.
Capspace.

Have like four players to sign and only 2.8 million in cap room. Will command atleast 2.5-3 million if not more, and he just had a rather off year.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:03 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Capspace.

Have like four players to sign and only 2.8 million in cap room. Will command atleast 2.5-3 million if not more, and he just had a rather off year.
Are they buying out Heatley? Just looked at capgeek, they have some salaries there.

Closed Thread