HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Marian Hossa is laughing

Old
06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
The HoF should be for players who either dominated the league in an extreme fashion for a short period of time, or who were consistantly a top5-10 player in the league throughout their career.

If we start inducting every player with a couple 40 goal seasons, the Hall loses it's meaning.

It's weird how a guy who isn't even PPG, and has won ZERO individual awards in the NHL is considered a HoF player, when Selanne was considered borderline even right after winning the Cup, when he at that point had 6 40+ goal seasons, a Calder, a Rocket Richard, and 10 All Star selections.
I would have put Selanne in after the 2004 season, let alone the 2007 Cup winning year. Selanne had too rich of an individual career for anyone to say he needed a Cup to solidify his HHOF chances. He was routinely among the top scorers in the NHL and led the NHL in goals three times even before his career gap in 2000-'01. He was basically 10 years as an elite scorer before he got those injuries. That's HHOF material.

But onto Hossa. He is a guy who needs some playoff pedigree - like Toews - to get enshrined into the HHOF. They both have it and their careers aren't over yet. It isn't just the two Cups for Hossa, but the contribution to them. Both years he was an important piece. Not to mention the other two trips to the final where he was a Smythe candidate in 2008 and a decent - but could have been better - piece in 2009. Throw in a 2nd team all-star at a very competitive position in 2009 as well as a strong defensive prescence who has 0.92 PPG in his career mostly in a low scoring era.

I've said it before that the trio of players many talk about from this past era that are potential HHOFers (Hossa, Alfie and Elias) that Hossa has had a better career than Elias and very arguably a better one than Alfredsson who is getting harder and harder to ignore for the HHOF despite the fact that the knock on his career is a softer playoff resume.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:53 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
That's because there was no Richard Trophy when he was NHL's best goal scorer.

But thank you for that information anyway.
Thats debatable as to him being the leagues best goal scorer.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I don't think many people hated Hossa, it was just impossible to not laugh your ass off at the irony of him switching to a new team to win the Cup and them losing the Cup to his old team in 2009.

06-26-2013, 09:01 PM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I don't think many people hated Hossa, it was just impossible to not laugh your ass off at the irony of him switching to a new team to win the Cup and them losing the Cup to his old team in 2009.
yeah

like when Martin Lapointe turned down an offer from Montreal and signed with Boston as a free agent....among the reasons he gave was : " i have a better chance to win the cup with Boston".........and Montreal beat Boston in the playoffs the following year.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:31 AM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me..
This this this Hossa was and is my favourite player since his early days as a Sen. **** you Muckler for everything you did to us :'(

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Frank Garrett

He's a Hossa, a pig that don't fly straight.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:59 PM
T Low

How can anyone not like this guy?

When asked about probably getting booed returning to Pittsburgh in the playoffs:

Ken Holland should have made room for him in Detroit. Its embarrassing whe n he gets booed at the Joe.

The guy backchecks like a freight train, scores as much as anyone could ever expect him too, and leaves it all on the ice everytime.

Personally, I'd like to sit down and sip a few pops with Hossa while listening to him compare playing with Crosby & Malkin, Zetterberg & Datsyuk, and Toews & Kane.

Go Marian, Go.

Last edited by T Low: 06-27-2013 at 01:07 PM.
T Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:10 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Evidence that if you shop yourself around enough you can eventually find a team which you can be a Cup winner with, maybe even twice or more.

Not sure if such a player has any idea what team loyalty means or being part of a tight group, but I'm sure he now knows what it means to be part of a winning group.

Lucic said that they knew in that 2nd intermission of game 7 against the Leafs that if they didn't come out and win that game that a lot of guys might be gone, and they didn't want that. Likely if Hossa had been part of that group, he'd have just thought,... Oh well, I'll look for another team to pay on.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:31 PM
T Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Evidence that if you shop yourself around enough you can eventually find a team which you can be a Cup winner with, maybe even twice or more.

Not sure if such a player has any idea what team loyalty means or being part of a tight group, but I'm sure he now knows what it means to be part of a winning group.

Lucic said that they knew in that 2nd intermission of game 7 against the Leafs that if they didn't come out and win that game that a lot of guys might be gone, and they didn't want that. Likely if Hossa had been part of that group, he'd have just thought,... Oh well, I'll look for another team to pay on.

Hossa knows all about team loyalty: He got traded from a fairly competitive Ottawa team to rot and watch reruns of Dukes of Hazzard in Atlanta. If you get dumped by your first team, then I'd try out a few until I found the right fit just as he did.

Ironic that you appear to be a Canadian living in Mexico, rooting for an American team and your main beef with Marian Hossa is about loyalty.

T Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Todds Chiropractory

The fact that his teams never did anything when he was the "lead", and only started to see playoff success once he started to accept his role as a "supporting actor", doesn't help his case.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Low View Post
Hossa knows all about team loyalty: He got traded from a fairly competitive Ottawa team to rot and watch reruns of Dukes of Hazzard in Atlanta. If you get dumped by your first team, then I'd try out a few until I found the right fit just as he did.

Ironic that you appear to be a Canadian living in Mexico, rooting for an American team and your main beef with Marian Hossa is about loyalty.
I don't have a "beef" with Hossa. Not at all. I have a beef with the OP.

Oh, and I'm loyal to the planet,

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post
yeah

like when Martin Lapointe turned down an offer from Montreal and signed with Boston as a free agent....among the reasons he gave was : " i have a better chance to win the cup with Boston".........and Montreal beat Boston in the playoffs the following year.
Same thing happened to Selanne when he left San Jose for Colorado in 03-04.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Hawkaholic

I don't care what cap penalties we get because of the contract...he is worth every penny and the 2 Cups.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Noah23

ITS THE HALL OF FAME. NOT THE HALL OF VERY GOOD.

ffs. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews. Those guys aren't even locks.

Martin St. Louis, Teemu Selanne, Jarome Iginla... they are going to make it into the Hall of Fame. Hossa probably won't.

Noah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:54 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Man I just keep imaging if he won in Detroit and Pitt the guy is a treat to watch and is everything Gaborik should have been.
If he won in Pitts he would have probably accepted the 6-8 year contract they offered him.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Sundin got in on 1st ballot, so Hossa should as well if he keep producing.
Its cause he was captain in Toronto.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:05 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Great player but the Hall is a very exclusive place. He's not dominant enough

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:12 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
Great player but the Hall is a very exclusive place. He's not dominant enough
Two way players don't get nearly enough credit.

The hall of fame is a joke anyway.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Ivanko

I've been very impressed with Hossa so far this season. He doesn't seem to loose a step, despite dealing with some serious injuries over the summer.

I hope he can get to 1000 points this season. Needs 45 points and Chicago plays 53 more games. I think he can get there, if he doesn't miss any games from now on.

What makes Hossa's career stand out despite the lack of individual awards is his consistency. He came into the league very young and immediately started to make impact. And he continues to make impact 15 years later. Some reach similar peak, but after 30 they slowly trail off (Heatley, Lecavalier), others take a while to get to that level (Sedins), but Hossa consistently brings a great game for one and a half decade. For what it is worth, in addition to his second-all-star team, he was a third team all-star 4 times. Being a top-3 right winger 5 times is pretty impressive.

Ivanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:34 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Great player who has had a very solid career but he is by no means a surefire HoF bet. His lack of individual awards might hurt him in the regards.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Its cause he was captain in Toronto.
And because he was easily one of the best players that was HHOF eligible that year.

Sundin was better than Hossa in his prime and his prime lasted 16 years.

MastuhNinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:49 AM
begbeee

Make a list from his generation, look at a big picture and you will see he has a decent shot. No shoe-in, though.
Iginla, Thornton and St. Louis are locks and clearly better. Then you have players like Alfredsson, Elias (his most direct competition) and others: Sedins, Datsyuk, Zetterberg. All others are probably worse - Marleau, Lecavalier, Richards - Kovalchuk really hurts his chances..
And if Alfredsson and/or Elias will be selected, I can´t see how Hossa wouldn´t make it, vice versa.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah23 View Post
ITS THE HALL OF FAME. NOT THE HALL OF VERY GOOD.

ffs. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews. Those guys aren't even locks.
I think they are now that Bure and Neely are in.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:58 AM
chunkylover53

Meh I think Hossa is borderline at the moment. The cups help him but sometimes people overate that, and it probably won't be the determining factor on whether he gets in or not. He probably sneaks in or just misses.

chunkylover53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:01 AM
begbeee

To be honest his case is not much worse than Alfredsson.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote