HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindros Trade Evaluation

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2005, 09:10 AM
bigblue21

vCash: 500
Lindros Trade Evaluation

Don't know if this was a previous thread, but I was just wondering what you guys thought about how the Lindros trade worked out for the Rangers in the end (good, bad, etc). My thoughts:

Wasn't soooo bad, considering that Brendl never panned out, and Hlavac never really had another good season since he left the Rangers. However, considering that Kim Johnsson is basically on the verge of stardom and Lindros never brought the Rangers even to the playoffs, this trade would have to be a bust for the Rangers. Additionally, if Hlavac was never traded, who knows how the Czech line would've fared.

Old
06-03-2005, 09:23 AM
True Blue

Seems like we do this every few months or so.....
You can't view the trade as just what is going on today. You have to veiw it as value at the time of the trade. That Lindros did absoultely nothing to help the Rangers is beyond question. However, the assets that were used to bring him here had very good value at the time of the trade and could have been used in a trade for a player that would actually have had a chance to stay healthy.
Look at Hlavac for example. He was coming off of his best season. The Flyers used him to bring in Brashear, who has been tormenting the Rangers every since. At the time, Brendl was one of the top prospects in all of hockey. Plus, let's not forget the first round pick that Jackass also threw in.
The Lindros trade was an utter disaster for the Rangers. It did nothing to help them and was an complete waste of assets.

Old
06-03-2005, 09:43 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Sather made the trade so we could make the playoffs.

Seems we didn't and now Lindros is gone and we got nothing.

Flyers are very happy with Johnsson, got Kapanen for Brendl and Brashear for Hlavac.

Johnssn, Brendl and Hlavac were assets at the time they were traded. In the long run, they were basically traded for NOTHING.

Old
06-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Fletch

Wrong move...

wrong time, wrong person. It may've served its purpose had Sather built the team a bit better and people may've complained less, but again, it was the wrong move. As for overpaying - I honestly do not know what that trio would've brought back. Likely overpaid by a guy, pick a guy, or even a pick (was it a third rounder?). I'm still convinced the Johnsson you see on the Flyers isn't what you would've seen with the Rangers the last three seasons. I'm not totally sold on Brendl. And I really didn't think much of Hlavac. But it does go to show how difficult trades are as a few in here (or wherever we were at the time) who didn't like the trade wanted Jason Allison instead, who ended up playing less than Lindros, and was less productive I believe.

Old
06-03-2005, 09:51 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I'm still convinced the Johnsson you see on the Flyers isn't what you would've seen with the Rangers the last three seasons.
You might be right, Fletch, but if we had Johnsson, maybe Sather doesn't trade York for Poti.

Old
06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Never ever should have traded for damaged goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
Don't know if this was a previous thread, but I was just wondering what you guys thought about how the Lindros trade worked out for the Rangers in the end (good, bad, etc). My thoughts:

Wasn't soooo bad, considering that Brendl never panned out, and Hlavac never really had another good season since he left the Rangers. However, considering that Kim Johnsson is basically on the verge of stardom and Lindros never brought the Rangers even to the playoffs, this trade would have to be a bust for the Rangers. Additionally, if Hlavac was never traded, who knows how the Czech line would've fared.
I enjoyed Lindros, have nothing bad to say about him as a NYR. But, it was very poor decision.

Old
06-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Fletch

Yup klingsor...

that is possible, and would've been nice. But sometimes you need to be a lion...

Old
06-03-2005, 11:23 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
You might be right, Fletch, but if we had Johnsson, maybe Sather doesn't trade York for Poti.
The York trade was more a direct result of signing Malakhov instead of Schnieder and then when Vlad went down after all of 3 games he was forced to make the move.

Old
06-03-2005, 01:15 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I enjoyed Lindros, have nothing bad to say about him as a NYR. But, it was very poor decision.
Me too.

Old
06-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Laches

An unmitigated disaster.

His Josef-Stumpel-esque performance in 2002-3 was unforgivably bad.

Old
06-03-2005, 01:42 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Lindors will always be my favorite player, its hard for me to say the trade was bad. He did his part with the team..it was the team that didnt do there part. (excluding the 02-03 season..he was injured too much then) But he made up for that in the 03-04 season working at 200% every shift and being the best player on the ice almost every night.

Old
06-03-2005, 02:18 PM
NYFAN

I'm a big Lindros supporter. I have always loved his game. I'm just sorry it ended so badly for him here. He deserved better.

Old
06-03-2005, 02:32 PM
bigblue21

Any chance Lindros returns with the Rangers? I know there's no hard feelings between the club and him, so if he is willing to take a pay cut I say it could happen. Secondly, if he is willing, would you want him back, or prefer not to sign him so as to give one more spot to the young guys?

Old
06-03-2005, 02:37 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
Any chance Lindros returns with the Rangers? I know there's no hard feelings between the club and him, so if he is willing to take a pay cut I say it could happen. Secondly, if he is willing, would you want him back, or prefer not to sign him so as to give one more spot to the young guys?
Rather not. No problem with Lindros, but we are at least 2-3 years away. Let's rebuild the team naturally.

Think he'll end up where he always wanted to be; Toronto.

Old
06-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Fletch

I agree, klingsor..

although I do not know anyone in the Rangers organization currently who I'd want to see as a top line center (or if it's Nylander, then second line center).

Old
06-03-2005, 02:51 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
although I do not know anyone in the Rangers organization currently who I'd want to see as a top line center (or if it's Nylander, then second line center).
Yeah, I got no suggestions either.

I think Hrdina was a #1 center when Jagr was on his right. No reason Nylander can't adequately fill that role for a couple of years.

Last edited by klingsor: 06-03-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old
06-03-2005, 03:32 PM
BigE

I seem to remember Carl Lindros going off on a rant in May of 2004 about how Eric would never sign with the Rangers again (after Sather refused to pick up the option on E's contract).

I'd like to see him in a Rangers Uni because he leads by example and he can still teach these young kids how to play. He's made some mistakes in the past but has grown up a lot since then. That's the type of guy you need in a young organization. He knows the game; what to do and what not to do.

What better player to introduce Sid the Kid than the old "Next One".

Old
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
BigE

Personally, and I know many disagree, I'd like to see Jamie Lundmark given another shot. I've always been a believer and after his reported improvement in the last half of the AHL season, I think one last kick at the can is appropriate.

If not Eric or Jamie, perhaps Jarkko Immonen. Granted his billing isn't as a 1st line centre but from what my friends in Finland tell me, he's more than capable. It might be a good idea for him to play alongside talented players such as Jaromir and maybe even Balej.

Old
06-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Barnaby

Id like to see Jamie get another shot as well as long as he's here, but no way do I throw him out as a 1st line center. The guy looked lost as a 3rd liner last time he was in NYR...

Old
06-03-2005, 04:10 PM
JR#9*

I can't see many people not liking the way Lindros conducted himself while he was here.I gained alot of respect for him despite him not being the player I hoped he'd be when on the ice.

That being said I wouldn't want him back as I want to go through the true rebuild for another 2-3 yrs.

As somebody else stated as well I think E winds up in Toronto and that is one story that I can't wait to see unfold.

Had there not been a lockout this year I think he would've been great in playing a support role up there with say a Tucker-Roberts on his wing in support of the Sundin line.

Old
06-03-2005, 05:52 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Sather made the trade so we could make the playoffs.

Seems we didn't and now Lindros is gone and we got nothing.

Flyers are very happy with Johnsson, got Kapanen for Brendl and Brashear for Hlavac.

Johnssn, Brendl and Hlavac were assets at the time they were traded. In the long run, they were basically traded for NOTHING.
not to mention that if johnsson is still on the team there is no need to trade for poti which means york is still here...kapanen, brashear, johnsson and york vs nothing. gee thats tough

Old
06-04-2005, 03:09 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:

I have said this from Day One. As a Lindros fan, I thought he acclimated himself well. But the concussion problems haunted his first yr and ruined a playoff team. He was a perimeter player in yr two. In the third year, he played well. But once again, injuries were his undoing.

It's very sad how his once brilliant career has turned out.

Old
06-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Id like to see Jamie get another shot as well as long as he's here, but no way do I throw him out as a 1st line center. The guy looked lost as a 3rd liner last time he was in NYR...

Ultimately, he will be given an opportunity in '05-06. I'd like to see him on a second line. He needs to play with good players so they can determine if he can still be something.

Old
06-04-2005, 01:28 PM
dedalus

Lindros conducted himself well in his NYR stint, and he also shocked me in that he actually finished out his contract (although not without yet another concussion).

Neither of those things changes the fact that it was a bad deal then and remains so. TB is right in pointing out that looking at the deal only in today's terms is tunnel vision. One must factor in what other things might have been acquired with the assets used to get Lindros.

Closed Thread