HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Poile media availability 6/25

Old
06-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Nashville Transplant

vCash: 500
I moved here in January, having watched LA game in and game out for MANY years (longer than most of you have been alive) and I was really not as acquainted with the Preds individual players on a regular basis.

Jonathan Blum drove me INSANE this year, because via Darryl Sutter and John Stevens, and Terry Murray before them, I finally saw a style of hockey that made sense and delivered wins. Blum did NOTHING I thought he was supposed to do EVER. Which is funny, because I remember when he was developing, the hype that a SoCal boy was going to be a high draft pick, and the Kings and the Ducks should look long and hard, blah blah blah... Well, obviously the kid has talent, but his decision making was painful. This may be correctable, and there are teams with coaches and scouts that will properly evaluate his worth going forward.

I'm looking forward to that change of scenery for him, just as I am looking forward to seeing Halischuk shuttle between the A and the NHL over the next couple of years. Given time, and personnel, you'll forget about both of these guys in a hurry... Promise

I'll put my money on the Ducks taking that flyer on Blum... if not now, in a team or two. Hometown boy makes good should give him a couple of weeks of stellar hockey until the adjustments self-correct and he's back on the waiver wire.

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Nashville Transplant

P.S. Stamkos went #1... and then 2, 3, 4... Doughty, Bogosian, and Pietrangelo were all considered no-brainers, and I'm pretty sure LA is happy with #2... St. Louis has had more than a few happy moments with #4... Jury may still be out on #3, but he plays a lot of crucial minutes. Hell of a crop of defensemen that year.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
P.S. Stamkos went #1... and then 2, 3, 4... Doughty, Bogosian, and Pietrangelo were all considered no-brainers, and I'm pretty sure LA is happy with #2... St. Louis has had more than a few happy moments with #4... Jury may still be out on #3, but he plays a lot of crucial minutes. Hell of a crop of defensemen that year.
I'm not sure I understand your point, unless it's "the Kings picked a defenseman high in the draft and turned out okay," to which I would say Los Angeles was under an entirely different set of circumstances. They already had their franchise center in Kopitar and lacked a true #1 defenseman, where we are pretty much the opposite.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Nashville Transplant

My point had to do with a couple of guys who were talking about Hedman, and Jones, and general defensemen in the draft, and I thought a year where 2, 3, and 4 were D was a pretty impressive crop.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:29 AM
spittoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
I moved here in January, having watched LA game in and game out for MANY years (longer than most of you have been alive) and I was really not as acquainted with the Preds individual players on a regular basis.

Jonathan Blum drove me INSANE this year, because via Darryl Sutter and John Stevens, and Terry Murray before them, I finally saw a style of hockey that made sense and delivered wins. Blum did NOTHING I thought he was supposed to do EVER. Which is funny, because I remember when he was developing, the hype that a SoCal boy was going to be a high draft pick, and the Kings and the Ducks should look long and hard, blah blah blah... Well, obviously the kid has talent, but his decision making was painful. This may be correctable, and there are teams with coaches and scouts that will properly evaluate his worth going forward.

I'm looking forward to that change of scenery for him, just as I am looking forward to seeing Halischuk shuttle between the A and the NHL over the next couple of years. Given time, and personnel, you'll forget about both of these guys in a hurry... Promise

I'll put my money on the Ducks taking that flyer on Blum... if not now, in a team or two. Hometown boy makes good should give him a couple of weeks of stellar hockey until the adjustments self-correct and he's back on the waiver wire.
What you will hopefully find out is that Brennan is a better player than Blum. It would make more sense for Poile to sign Brennan, who will come cheaper than Blum, and watch him go. The kid is the wildcard here. I saw alot of FLA games last year, and the kid was dynamite on the PP, when he was paired consistently with B. Campbell. Even though FLA sucked, their PP % went through the roof when Brennan arrived. I would imagine Nashville PP numbers will jump if he sees some time with Shea.

spittoon is offline   Reply With Quote