HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Winners and Losers With Smaller Goalie Pads Next Year

Old
06-25-2013, 07:47 PM
NeelyWasAWarrior

vCash: 500
If I know the NHL like I do then I can probably guess that these changes will be minor "tweaks" (Gary's favorite word) and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference and hence, there won't be any noticeable effect on anything.

one more thing. Can somebody tell me why goalies thigh rises need to jut out like they do? If I was running the league i'd mandate that the thigh rises are fit snuggly against the leg. I mean seriously.

NeelyWasAWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Goalies with athletic styles - winners

Goalies with positional styles - losers.

Basically the goalies who throw those desperation saves and have incredible flexibility will have a better time than the goalies who do a more "stay in position and hope it hits me" style.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Goalies like Dubnyk pictured here, don't really have the huge looking pads.

Bodes well for him I'd say.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Goalies with athletic styles - winners

Goalies with positional styles - losers.

Basically the goalies who throw those desperation saves and have incredible flexibility will have a better time than the goalies who do a more "stay in position and hope it hits me" style.
This one has me scratching my head.

Generally staying in position is what all goalies want to do. Desperation saves is a last resort, and generally caused by poor positioning and/or miss read on the play.

Stay solid/square as much as possible. It gives you the best possible chance to make the save, yea? No matter how big or small the pads? I suppose sliding across spread eagle? But I've only seen Quick, Rinne, Niemi, Howard (on rare occasions) do this. Not many do it. Quick is the only one who does it on a regular basis lol.

And 99% of the time the desperation save attempt is done with the glove hand or stick. Very rarely does anyone stack the pads anymore.

EDIT: I forgot to add Bob. He's pretty stretch armstrong as well.

Last edited by Dynheart: 06-25-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Brodeur is actually a winner

Lundqvist/Crawford losers
I don't think that's right, Brodeur used to wear 9 1/2 but now he wears 11 doesn't he

And is this official or are we talking hypothetical? I haven't heard.

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 06-25-2013 at 08:12 PM.
aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:05 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

I think people expecting a meaningful spike in scoring because of a reduction in thigh rises is going to be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
And is this official or are we talking hypothetical? I haven't heard.
Also, this.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart View Post
This one has me scratching my head.

Generally staying in position is what all goalies want to do. Desperation saves is a last resort, and generally caused by poor positioning and/or miss read on the play.

Stay solid/square as much as possible. It gives you the best possible chance to make the save, yea? No matter how big or small the pads?

And 99% of the time the desperation save attempt is done with the glove hand or stick. Very rarely does anyone stack the pads anymore.
Maybe I should have just said the goalies who are more mobile in their crease will do better.

If the reduction in goalie equipment includes chest and shoulder protectors, then goalies who go down and hope they get hit will have more goals go through as it will have less chance of catching the shoulder or body. More holes to go through basically.

That said, if they do reduce equipment size, I predict we will see a lot more unorthodox goaltending styles, like Thomas have exhibited.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

First the trapezoid, now this?

What exactly is the point of all this? The trapezoid hasn't led to more scoring, it's just a nuisance.

This is another way to make the goalies job harder that will do nothing. I hate these regulations on goalies.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Maybe I should have just said the goalies who are more mobile in their crease will do better.

If the reduction in goalie equipment includes chest and shoulder protectors, then goalies who go down and hope they get hit will have more goals go through as it will have less chance of catching the shoulder or body. More holes to go through basically.

That said, if they do reduce equipment size, I predict we will see a lot more unorthodox goaltending styles, like Thomas have exhibited.
That makes sense. Which brings me to what I was saying earlier. They'll just have to adjust.

Honestly? The goalies that have been consistently good already? I think they will adjust and be fine. They put up the stats for a reason; because they are good. The inconsistent goalies, and the lower 1/3 (starters) are the ones that will probably be affected. The back ups? I feel bad for them. It was tough making it into the NHL and keeping a job...now it's going to be even tougher.

So we'll really see who's top 10 (there's a lot of candidates). This will probably separate that pack a bit, IMO.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
NjDevsRR

Moose would still have to get bigger pads, he looks so small!

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:39 PM
FilthyNote*

Lets pretend every team has 300 wacky dollars. For no apparent reason other than for comparison every team plays under the same rules and has the same advantages etc.

You take away 100 wacky dollars from every team and every team still has the same advantages / disadvanges as the other.

Does this make sense? No. Does it make somebody else feel warm inside their tummy? Sure.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Brodeur is actually a winner

Lundqvist/Crawford losers
How is Brodeur a winner? Did he not increase his pad size?

06-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Let's see how/if/when much they shrink them first.
Exactly. There is absolutely no confirmation that any reduction is happening (although it should).

And for those complaining about the pads being reduced "again", they were allowed INCREASE a few seasons ago for no good reason. And goals continue to plummet.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
This is another way to make the goalies job harder that will do nothing. I hate these regulations on goalies.
Well, fans hate dead puck hockey with no goals and goalies wearing insanely large pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyWasAWarrior View Post
one more thing. Can somebody tell me why goalies thigh rises need to jut out like they do? If I was running the league i'd mandate that the thigh rises are fit snuggly against the leg. I mean seriously.
It allows them to stop more pucks. Plain and simple.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:21 PM
joe89

People saying Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist are crazy. I think the best talents would hurt the least. Letting pucks hit you = high hockey sense, has nothing to do with equipment size.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
First the trapezoid, now this?

What exactly is the point of all this? The trapezoid hasn't led to more scoring, it's just a nuisance.

What are you complaining about? You want goalies with size to prevail over skill? You would rather the pads be even bigger? To hell with the current regulations while we are at it?

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:33 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 807
None of the top goalies right now are wearing Giguere-esque giant robo pads unless I'm missing someone. Decreasing the pad size could only help the truly gifted goalies distinguish themselves from the rest - i.e. everyone wearing giant pads is more of an equalizer. Guys like Lundqvist, Quick, etc. will be just fine and predicting a significant drop-off from any of them is ridiculous IMO; The change is more likely to affect the backups or marginal starters.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:48 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
How is Brodeur a winner? Did he not increase his pad size?
Yes, but he played pretty much his whole career with undersized pads. I doubt it'd be a huge adjustment for him

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

They need to scale back their requirements on height a bit for the taller goalies and make it proportional to height. And they also need to check the width of pads. Giguere still looks like hes playing 15" wide pads.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, but he played pretty much his whole career with undersized pads. I doubt it'd be a huge adjustment for him
You don't think it would be a big adjustment for a 41 year old goaltender? Just like how people—especially plenty of Devils fans—think that Lundqvist's pads are the reason why he's so good, they could say it's the reason Brodeur is still playing.

In each of the past three seasons, in which I believe Brodeur has used the larger pads, he has had below .910 SV%. In this season, he had a .901. If you guys don't think Lundqvist would be so good without his huge pads, how well do you guys think Brodeur would have played in those seasons?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:26 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
You don't think it would be a big adjustment for a 41 year old goaltender? Just like how people—especially plenty of Devils fans—think that Lundqvist's pads are the reason why he's so good, they could say it's the reason Brodeur is still playing.

In each of the past three seasons, in which I believe Brodeur has used the larger pads, he has had below .910 SV%. In this season, he had a .901. If you guys don't think Lundqvist would be so good without his huge pads, what do you guys think Brodeur would be doing?
oh good another Brodeur/Lunqvist argument

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

I can see it really making an impact on Henriks game. Will still be a top goalie, but I think the change would be a struggle.

Christmas Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
oh good another Brodeur/Lunqvist argument
Because I started the argument? Did you not see the post I originally quoted? A Devils fan started it. If you don't want to participate, feel free not to.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:28 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Because I started the argument? Did you not see the post I originally quoted?
wasnt specifically referencing you. just quoted the most recent post. no need to be so touchy

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:38 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
People saying Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist are crazy. I think the best talents would hurt the least. Letting pucks hit you = high hockey sense, has nothing to do with equipment size.
You lost me at letting pucks hit you has nothing to do with equipment size.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote