HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Winners and Losers With Smaller Goalie Pads Next Year

Old
06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
PemIceKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
This is sarcasm right? Bernier may be the least athletic goalie out there. He relies completely on positioning. Ever watched him in the shootout? Brutal.
I really don't think you really know what you're talking about.

PemIceKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
CanucksSayEh

Starters will be losers
Backups will be winners

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
So you are saying larger gear has zero effect on the amount of saves?
No, I'm not saying it has zero effect on saves, clearly if your pads have a couple inch thigh rise, you will catch a few going 5-hole that might have gone in or a larger chest protector will make it easier to stop pucks going under your arms. However, what I am saying is that it is not the only reason for goalies wanting to play with the goal of letting the pucks hit them. Just as much, if not more of that depends on angles and positioning. Equipment is a part of it but unless they put them back in 31' deer skins the impact of making pads smaller isn't going to be as great as some of these people think. Goalies will adapt.

Don't forget that as goalie equipment has gotten bigger and more advanced, that skater's gear has improved also. Players now play more recklessly because they know how protected they are, they skate faster and better, they are in better shape and stronger and most of all the composite sticks. How fair would it be to put goalies in pads that are too small for them while allowing skaters to continue using their improved gear.

What goalie was it that said something to the effect of "I'll wear small pads when players can't use composite sticks"? That statement holds some truth. The game has advanced and equipment has advanced. While there should obviously be limits on goalies gear size (honestly they're not far off where the limits are now) but people wanting gear to go back to 80's sized gear are just being silly. The players are faster and stronger, the game is different and the way goalie is being played has evolved. Sports evolve, these things happen. People always want to go back to the way it was when unfortunately that's not going to (and shouldn't) happen.

Sorry for the diatribe lol. Ultimately I think the limits for pad width, glove and blocker size are good right now. Just limit the size thigh rise a goalie can have and make their chest protectors a little bit smaller and I think we're in business.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Lundqvist will be fine, he's not at all a positional goalie like some are saying he is.

If he was a textbook angles goaltender he wouldn't have his skates across the goalline and his ass touching the back of his net.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Also, in general I don't think this is going to affect scoring much contrary to popular opinion. It's a different sport, but very similar concepts.

This is a box lacrosse goalie

This is a field lacrosse goalie

Guess what? Box and field games generally produce scores in identical neighborhoods. That's because goaltending is about skill, not equipment.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Goalie guy

Any one who thinks that pads are going to set too 34" is just wrong and it's not going to happen! taller guy taller pads sorry. and no scoring will not go up! then what are you guys going to cry about?

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:43 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Come back Irbe! You're going to be a god again!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:50 AM
2faded

Wouldn't it make the most sense to just say leg pads can only go X amount of inches past the knee? That would account for height.

2faded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:28 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyWasAWarrior View Post
one more thing. Can somebody tell me why goalies thigh rises need to jut out like they do? If I was running the league i'd mandate that the thigh rises are fit snuggly against the leg. I mean seriously.
Because the ridiculously high thigh rises have never been about protection, they have always been about eliminating the 5 hole.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Also, in general I don't think this is going to affect scoring much contrary to popular opinion. It's a different sport, but very similar concepts.

This is a box lacrosse goalie

This is a field lacrosse goalie

Guess what? Box and field games generally produce scores in identical neighborhoods. That's because goaltending is about skill, not equipment.
valid points...

...but box has 5v5 where field is 9v9... Field is harder to generate scoring chances than box imo (having played both for several years)

You have more layers of defense and defense strategies with field... where box is played sort of like uptempo/80s hockey almost.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Doesn't make any sense either. No other equipment regulations are set entirely in proportion to body size. You aren't allowed to have a bigger curve on your stick if you are taller or a bigger baseball glove if you are taller.

I could see an exception though for players so tall the pads do not actually cover their legs. Similar to the stick length exception for players above 6'6''.

As for the biggest losers:

-Fleury
-Luongo
-Giguere

All guys with big pads. All guys who's career is at a crossing point. None of these guys can afford to lose a step right now. Luongo has a long and guaranteed contract, so financially he will be ok. Can't say the same for Fleury and Giggy though.

Honestly Fleury won't have to change much of anything. IMO Fleury has about average size gear around the 35-36 inch, so he won't be downgraded like Lundquist and Crawford. Fleury needs to be more concerned about his confidence then his pillows

Newfy IceCapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 269
Nik Backstrom could struggle; he's all butterfly.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
So again, has there been any concrete confirmation on any dramatic change to goalie equipment? By that I mean has there been any report detailing what exactly may be changed?

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
How is Brodeur a winner? Did he not increase his pad size?
I don't see how a goalie that has gotten progressively worse over the last three seasons can be a "winner," anyway. Don't see how this helps an old goalie on his last legs. Only guys it will actually help are the younger guys using smaller pads who still have their whole careers in front of them.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Mypetrobot
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Doesn't make any sense either. No other equipment regulations are set entirely in proportion to body size. You aren't allowed to have a bigger curve on your stick if you are taller or a bigger baseball glove if you are taller.

I could see an exception though for players so tall the pads do not actually cover their legs. Similar to the stick length exception for players above 6'6''.

As for the biggest losers:

-Fleury
-Luongo
-Giguere

All guys with big pads. All guys who's career is at a crossing point. None of these guys can afford to lose a step right now. Luongo has a long and guaranteed contract, so financially he will be ok. Can't say the same for Fleury and Giggy though.
I didn't read all the rest of the post but hockey stick length is set, and only players 6'6 and above can petition for a longer stick. So I think goalies over 6'6 should petition for pads relative to their height.

stick length rule: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26286

Mypetrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
So it has a greater relative effect on taller goaltenders.
I don't see the problem? When I was growing up you shot five hole on taller goalies and high and hard on smaller ones......

Height has its advantages and disadvantages. That is the way it has always been. A six foot six goalie is pretty much gonna have a harder time closing the five hole but much easier saving high and hard.

Ergo, balance one again restored.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Brodeur is actually a winner

Lundqvist/Crawford losers

Gee, your guy wins, other guy loses. How original.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote