HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Poor attendance for AHL Final.

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2005, 07:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Game 4 should show no less than 16K. The lower bowl is almost sold out, if it isn't already.

Old
06-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Ratfinklives

vCash: 500
Game 4 should be a sellout, according to ticketmaster the best seats left are like row 13 (out of 15) in the upper level.

Old
06-09-2005, 06:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfinklives
Game 4 should be a sellout, according to ticketmaster the best seats left are like row 13 (out of 15) in the upper level.

Did you look for single tickets or 2 that were together?

Old
06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
pelts35.com

Going back in time, the Spectrum was sold out for the Cup clinching game against the Flames. The Spectrum was absolutely rocking that night and is a night that I will never forget.

I would venture to guess that game 4 will be a sellout and if game 5 is necessary, it will as well.

It's so nice to see that the fans of Philly finally decide to show up only when a championship is about to be won. Where were these extra 10,000 fans in the first 3 rounds or in the regular season?

Old
06-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Ratfinklives

Game 4 is officially sold out with over 12,000 already sold for the "if necessary" game 5

Old
06-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Ratfinklives

And pelts, they drew decent numbers on the weekend games in the other rounds, its just tough to do it every night for the average fan. I mean I'm in college so I can't spring for a 30 buck night (per person) all that often. Most fans go to one or two games a round and are all just making sure to make this the 2 games to go to this round.

Yeah there will be some people in the seats who haven't been to a game all year but that will be the rarity. Either way it's good for the Phantoms, they've had a hell of a run.

Old
06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
And pelts, they drew decent numbers on the weekend games in the other rounds, its just tough to do it every night for the average fan. I mean I'm in college so I can't spring for a 30 buck night (per person) all that often. Most fans go to one or two games a round and are all just making sure to make this the 2 games to go to this round.

Yeah there will be some people in the seats who haven't been to a game all year but that will be the rarity. Either way it's good for the Phantoms, they've had a hell of a run.
There's no question that they have had a hell of a run. It's just a shame that they were barely drawing 5,000 in the first two rounds and now everyone seems to be running out to witness the cup being hoisted. Again, the same thing happened when they won the Cup in their second season, although their attendance was significantly better during the season and playoffs.

And, no disrespect, but the reason why the building hasn't been packed isn't because of the cost of tickets. The Flyers certainly don't have a problem filling up the Wachovia Center for weeknight games during the season and in the playoffs and their tickets start at $50.

Old
06-09-2005, 08:13 PM
MojoJojo

You know, I really dont care that some fans may be jumping on the bandwagon. In fact, I want as many to show up as possible. The more the merrier. Its good for our teams that they show support, whether its now or three months ago. This cup run is great for keeping interest in Philly alive during the lockout.

Old
06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
It's freaking minor league hockey, who cares if people are jumping on the bandwagon?

Most of the people "jumping on the bandwagon" are individuals like myself who are genuine hockey fans who just dont normally pay much attention to the AHL. Yes, technically we are bandwagoners... but not in any way comparable to when large numbers of people in a city who dont care about a sport and begin watching that sport just because of a possible championship.

Old
06-10-2005, 06:56 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
You know, I really dont care that some fans may be jumping on the bandwagon. In fact, I want as many to show up as possible. The more the merrier. Its good for our teams that they show support, whether its now or three months ago. This cup run is great for keeping interest in Philly alive during the lockout.
Yes, it's good that fans are showing support. Where I will disagree is with your next sentence. It would have been a lot nicer if people showed more support 3 months ago.

The Phantoms have played good hockey all season long. During the lockout, Flyers fans could have showed their support for the team throughout the season, but they didn't. Flyers STHs were given free tickets and the majority of those tickets went unused because they didn't care. Only now, when a championship is about to be won, do the masses come out to show their "support".

Call me a pessimist, but I think that the majority are coming out to see a championship won first and to support the team second. On the other hand, there are a thousand or so Phantoms STHs who have been there all season long who truly deserve to see the team hoist the cup over their heads.

The fact that average attendance is up only 2,000 per game to this point from last season's playoffs is really sad. If you consider an extra 2,000 per game "keeping interest" so be it.

ObeySteve, I would be willing to bet that those who shelled out $600 for season tickets care. Of what is left of what was a solid STH base, the majority of the Phantoms STHs have been there since the inaugural season and really care about that team. When I was a Phantoms STH, most people looked at me like I had two heads when I said that I was a big fan of the AHL and couldn't believe that I could actually enjoy that horrible quality of hockey. Yet, those are the same people that showed up a few years ago when the Phantoms beat the St John Flames to see the clinching game.

Old
06-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Liquidrage*

I think you're railing against nothing.

It's minor league hockey and plenty of people would just look at you like you had two heads when you try to explain to them why their bandwagon fans. They just don't care because it's minor league hockey in a city that also has a NHL team.

Further complicating this issue is that in hockey, the AHL really has never served as a developmental league as well as it should. And especially in the Flyers organization. Well, except this year. I think there's not a damn thing wrong with people coming in droves to see the team try to and the series away. I think it's a good thing and this talk of "bandwagon" makes me wonder if you have two heads.

Old
06-10-2005, 07:27 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
I think you're railing against nothing.

It's minor league hockey and plenty of people would just look at you like you had two heads when you try to explain to them why their bandwagon fans. They just don't care because it's minor league hockey in a city that also has a NHL team.

Further complicating this issue is that in hockey, the AHL really has never served as a developmental league as well as it should. And especially in the Flyers organization. Well, except this year. I think there's not a damn thing wrong with people coming in droves to see the team try to and the series away. I think it's a good thing and this talk of "bandwagon" makes me wonder if you have two heads.
Funny thing is that I haven't used the word "bandwagon" once, yet people are throwing that word in my face. I think it is great that the building is sold out and will be jumping tonight (although it's a shame that it's not being televised locally for those that couldn't get tickets).

I'm not railing at all since my posts really have nothing to do with tonight's sellout/bandwagons and everything to do with the lack of support that the team had throught the regular season and the first 3 rounds of the playoffs.

All I am saying is that it would have been nice some of the extra 10,000 + fans showed up for a few regular season games to support the team as well and not just the cup clinching game, that's all. The team played well all season long (including their record setting winning streak where attendance was under 6,000 per game) and deserved some of that support back in the regular season as well especially since the Phantoms were the highest level of hockey being played in Philly this season.

For those that do not know, the Phantoms used to have the highest average attendance in the AHL for their first 3 or 4 years (over 11,000 per night). Weekend games would routinely have 13,000 + in the stands and Hershey games were usually sellouts. Quite honestly, with the lockout, I fully expected the Phantoms to claim that title again, but fell short. I think that, attendance-wise, they had a very disappointing season with under 8,000 per night.

I am speaking from experiences that I have had with at least a dozen Flyers STHs that told me flat out that they could care less about the Phantoms and wouldn't even think about using the free ticket vouchers that were given to them. Yet, now that the cup is about to be won, all but 2 of them are now going to game 4 and have admitted that the only reason that they are going is because the Phantoms can win the cup.

Again, I think the majority of the fans are coming out to see a championship being won and the party that will occur in the partking lot afterwards first and really could care less whether it is the Phantoms or not. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, I'm just happy for those few Phantoms STHs who are left that put up with a couple of boring seasons. A championship makes it all well worth it.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 06-10-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old
06-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Going back in time, the Spectrum was sold out for the Cup clinching game against the Flames. The Spectrum was absolutely rocking that night and is a night that I will never forget.

I would venture to guess that game 4 will be a sellout and if game 5 is necessary, it will as well.

It's so nice to see that the fans of Philly finally decide to show up only when a championship is about to be won. Where were these extra 10,000 fans in the first 3 rounds or in the regular season?

Saving money for a game that meant something.
JK

Old
06-10-2005, 08:25 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Saving money for a game that meant something.
JK
Good one, mate!

Old
06-10-2005, 11:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Phantoms sold out the building. 20K + tonight for the first time ever in the playoffs. The place was packed!

Old
06-11-2005, 12:15 AM
i am dave

AHL Attendance Record 20,103

And I was 1.

Old
06-11-2005, 12:16 AM
revdon64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
AHL Attendance Record 20,103

And I was 1.
And my family was three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a game!

Old
06-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Mediator88

Send a message via ICQ to Mediator88 Send a message via AIM to Mediator88 Send a message via MSN to Mediator88 Send a message via Yahoo to Mediator88
I was also one... and my wife was one!

I have lots of pictures from the game. It was rocking there tonight.

Brian

Old
06-11-2005, 02:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

according to ESPN The Flyers never even drew more then 20k for any playoff game last season. 20k+ is simply amazing.

man that building must have been LOUD. The Phantoms must of looked around and seen the support they had for game 4 and thought man there is NO WAY we are losing tonite.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 06-11-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old
06-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Ratfinklives

What a game, what a crowd. Defidently not a crowd just there for the sights. Everyone was loud, many chants, people booing the Chicago players whenever they carried the puck.

By the way did Weiss even play? If so he was INVISIBLE

Old
06-11-2005, 08:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
By the way did Weiss even play? If so he was INVISIBLE

Weiss did play. He did nothing in this series. in fact the double minor he took in Game 3 was probably the play that won the series for the Phantoms.

Old
06-11-2005, 08:31 AM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
according to ESPN The Flyers never even drew more then 20k for any playoff game last season. 20k+ is simply amazing.

man that building must have been LOUD. The Phantoms must of looked around and seen the support they had for game 4 and thought man there is NO WAY we are losing tonite.
It was LOUD. But what was even louder was the exodus from the building. My buddy and I parked ourselves along the railing on the club level in the Broad Street Atrium watching the masses of shouting fans. It was one of the most awesome things I've ever witnessed as wave upon wave of cheers came. There was one group with a cowbell leading the pack. Another group of youngins led the way with their brooms. The parking lot was sheer bedlam - perhaps being the only time Philadelphians were happy to be in a large traffic hold up.

There was even some shouts and horn honking when we got back to Fern Rock...

And even up at Lancers Diner in Horsham nearly 2 hours after the game ended...

One word to describe it all:

AWESOME.

Congratulations Phantoms - 2004-2005 Champions.

Old
06-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Congrats to everyone who got to see it...20 000+ for an AHL Game...staggering when you think of some teams NHL attendance.

Old
06-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Yes, it's good that fans are showing support. Where I will disagree is with your next sentence. It would have been a lot nicer if people showed more support 3 months ago.

The Phantoms have played good hockey all season long. During the lockout, Flyers fans could have showed their support for the team throughout the season, but they didn't. Flyers STHs were given free tickets and the majority of those tickets went unused because they didn't care. Only now, when a championship is about to be won, do the masses come out to show their "support".

Call me a pessimist, but I think that the majority are coming out to see a championship won first and to support the team second. On the other hand, there are a thousand or so Phantoms STHs who have been there all season long who truly deserve to see the team hoist the cup over their heads.

The fact that average attendance is up only 2,000 per game to this point from last season's playoffs is really sad. If you consider an extra 2,000 per game "keeping interest" so be it.

ObeySteve, I would be willing to bet that those who shelled out $600 for season tickets care. Of what is left of what was a solid STH base, the majority of the Phantoms STHs have been there since the inaugural season and really care about that team. When I was a Phantoms STH, most people looked at me like I had two heads when I said that I was a big fan of the AHL and couldn't believe that I could actually enjoy that horrible quality of hockey. Yet, those are the same people that showed up a few years ago when the Phantoms beat the St John Flames to see the clinching game.

Support all year would be nice but it's an AHL team...gotta take what you can get unfortunately. I don't watch Tier2 Jr hockey unless it's playoffs and I have a team practically in my backyard. Bottom line ...any attendance is good attendance. This team looks a whole lot more fun to watch with the addittions of Carter and Richards. Again, any support is positive...try not to put a negative spin on it.

Old
06-11-2005, 09:04 AM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Support all year would be nice but it's an AHL team...gotta take what you can get unfortunately. I don't watch Tier2 Jr hockey unless it's playoffs and I have a team practically in my backyard. Bottom line ...any attendance is good attendance. This team looks a whole lot more fun to watch with the addittions of Carter and Richards. Again, any support is positive...try not to put a negative spin on it.
I think so of the early skepticism has to do with the typical Philly disappointment, they are going to start losing if I show up. The other part is the unfamiliarity with the team, I had guys around finals game 1 and 2 asking me who was on the team, and how their prospects looked, and who were the prospects, and was this a team of AHL vets or young kids. So everyone kinda listens, but from a distance, once it gets closer and they feel its safe they start showing up.

Closed Thread