HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Armchair GM Offseason Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 07:34 PM
FeedingFrenzy

vCash: 500
still no word on Joe$$??

I have to believe he is in the Sharks long term plans(5yr/24mil 4.8AAV with partial NTC) done by end of July.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
DW says a lot of things. Who knows what he'll do, but he has a hole in the line up that needs filling.
Not if he planned on putting Kennedy with Burns and Thornton all along and he believes Hertl is ready for a top 6 role with Marleau and Couture. He might think that's good enough until Havlat comes back and he won't do anything else.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:42 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Not if he planned on putting Kennedy with Burns and Thornton all along and he believes Hertl is ready for a top 6 role with Marleau and Couture. He might think that's good enough until Havlat comes back and he won't do anything else.
We would still need a 13th forward. You need depth otherwise if an injury happens we're screwed. That's why most of us were ok with the TK trade, it fixed the lack of depth scoring on the 3rd line and he could potential fill in the top 6. If DW doesn't add someone we're only marginally better off if you think TK is better than TJ.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:52 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

I feel like we're living in a hockey fan's Groundhog Day. It seems like every year we're talking about the same hole in the lineup.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaShark View Post
I feel like we're living in a hockey fan's Groundhog Day. It seems like every year we're talking about the same hole in the lineup.
Nope. Usually we complain about third line depth. Now we have like 5 qualified 3rd liners. Only problem is that we only have 3 top-6 forwards, what with one being a defenseman and one playing in the bottom six.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:57 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Nope. Usually we complain about third line depth. Now we have like 5 qualified 3rd liners. Only problem is that we only have 3 top-6 forwards, what with one being a defenseman and one playing in the bottom six.
Yes, that is true.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:58 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
still no word on Joe$$??

I have to believe he is in the Sharks long term plans(5yr/24mil 4.8AAV with partial NTC) done by end of July.
Unless they want to trade him

Old
07-02-2013, 08:02 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
We would still need a 13th forward. You need depth otherwise if an injury happens we're screwed. That's why most of us were ok with the TK trade, it fixed the lack of depth scoring on the 3rd line and he could potential fill in the top 6. If DW doesn't add someone we're only marginally better off if you think TK is better than TJ.
Cmon KD, marginally,really? Based on what exactly..TJ is redundant and can be replaced.
What people are forgetting I think is TK puts these pts up in a 3rd line roll.He could slot in nicely in the Top 6 if need be.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:05 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Cmon KD, marginally,really? Based on what exactly..TJ is redundant and can be replaced.
What people are forgetting I think is TK puts these pts up in a 3rd line roll.He could slot in nicely in the Top 6 if need be.
We're only marginally better off til we replace TJ. Meaning we need another tweener like we always seem too. I think TK is an improvement over TJ but he's not a top 6, so unless we add someone who can fill that role we're only as much better off as the difference between Galiardi and Kennedy. So we improved on one third liner, that's not enough. I hope DW does something more, cuz this is like two steps forward one step back when we need a big leap over that last hurdle.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:07 PM
do0glas

Quote:
i count burns as a true top 6. he has the IQ, the physical tools, and the shot inside the dots. even if you consider him borderline 2nd liner, he should still count in your top 6

so 4 top 6 (lacking another playmaker)

5 third line players

4 4th liners (including emannuelsson here)

which gives us:

hertl/wingels/sheppard-thornton-burns
marleau-couture-hertl/wingels
torres-pavs/hertl-kennedy
desi-burish-sheppard/wingels/emmanuelsson

i think we need one more guy to solidify those depth positions. plenty out there.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
We're only marginally better off til we replace TJ. Meaning we need another tweener like we always seem too.
But still better off.

Not sure if DW goes tweener or pulls a rabbit out of his hat..

Old
07-02-2013, 08:12 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
But still better off.

Not sure if DW goes tweener or pulls a rabbit out of his hat..
Man I hope he pulls off some magic. Best I can see happening is he gets someone like Stalberg or MacArthur, worst is nobody or he overpays for a crap 13th forward.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Okay so assuming Havlat will miss the first 2-3 months of the season and we survive that then the fully healthy team could look something like this.

Kennedy-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Hertl-Pavs-Torres
Sheppard-Desi-Wingels

Fully healthy it doesn't look bad but we do need that tweener that can fill in the top 6 because counting on Havlat to stay healthy is well... not advisable. The problem is that that top 6 fill-in will probably not be any cheaper than Gali's 1.25 mill.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Okay so assuming Havlat will miss the first 2-3 months of the season and we survive that then the fully healthy team could look something like this.

Kennedy-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Hertl-Pavs-Torres
Sheppard-Desi-Wingels

Fully healthy it doesn't look bad but we do need that tweener that can fill in the top 6 because counting on Havlat to stay healthy is well... not advisable. The problem is that that top 6 fill-in will probably not be any cheaper than Gali's 1.25 mill.
I really don't want the Sharks to be a bubble team fighting to get in this year. If Havlat is out long term we need a replacement.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:19 PM
do0glas

id rather him not sign anyone else if they have no offensive upside.

right now my list (in no order)
macarthur (likely cant afford)
halischuk (cheap, young, potential)
bring nieto up (would it be worth it to burn a year of his ELC?)
sign wellwood to 1 year (older, still retains speed, fits style needs, seemed to spend most of his time with shoot first players)

i honestly dont want stalberg anymore. his style is now redundant on the sharks with kennedy coming in.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
I really don't want the Sharks to be a bubble team fighting to get in this year. If Havlat is out long term we need a replacement.
The problem is we don't know when Havlat will be back. If he misses only 2 months or something we can't spend 4-5 mill on a top 6 forward because then we're way over the cap when Havlat is back. If he misses the entire regular season then give 4-5 mill to somebody but I don't think he will so it's tricky because they don't want to get in cap trouble and dump someone for nothing.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i count burns as a true top 6. he has the IQ, the physical tools, and the shot inside the dots. even if you consider him borderline 2nd liner, he should still count in your top 6

so 4 top 6 (lacking another playmaker)

5 third line players

4 4th liners (including emannuelsson here)

which gives us:

hertl/wingels/sheppard-thornton-burns
marleau-couture-hertl/wingels
torres-pavs/hertl-kennedy
desi-burish-sheppard/wingels/emmanuelsson

i think we need one more guy to solidify those depth positions. plenty out there.
Top-6 players (with Havlat out): JT, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Burns.
Third liners: Torres, Kennedy, Wingels, Hertl (potentially top-6 but let's go consservative).
Fourth liners: Sheppard, Desjardins
****** overpaid players who don't belong in the NHL but will still be on SJ's roster for 'intangible' reasons: Burish

So here's how I see it:

XXXX-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-XXXX
XXXX-Pavelski-Kennedy
XXXX-Desjardins-Burish
XXXX

The X's will be filled in by Hertl, Wingels, Torres, Sheppard, trade acquisitions, and UFAs.

The following would make me feel comfortable:

XXXX/Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-XXXX/Hertl
Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy
Wingels-Desjardins-Burish
Sheppard

Ideally, Hertl would take the #1LW spot, we'd get a guy like Clarke MacArthur for the #2RW spot, and Sheppard would take Burish's spot. We all know the latter two won't happen, so I think putting one of Torres and Wingels on the #2RW spot is how it'll go for now until Havlat gets back.

Is that acceptable? Meh. I wouldn't hate it, but it could be a lot better. Signing someone off the scrap heap (Wellwood, specifically) would help to mitigate those concerns of mine. I don't want to roll with both a rookie and a third liner in the top-6. One or the other.

Last edited by Juxtaposer: 07-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old
07-02-2013, 08:30 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Top-6 players (with Havlat out): JT, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Burns.
Third liners: Torres, Kennedy, Wingels, Hertl (potentially top-6 but let's go consservative).
Fourth liners: Sheppard, Desjardins
****** overpaid players who don't belong in the NHL but will still be on SJ's roster for 'intangible' reasons: Burish

So here's how I see it:

XXXX-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-XXXX
XXXX-Pavelski-Kennedy
XXXX-Desjardins-Burish
XXXX

The X's will be filled in by Hertl, Wingels, Torres, Sheppard, trade acquisitions, and UFAs.

The following would make me feel comfortable:

XXXX/Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-XXXX/Hertl
Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy
Wingels-Desjardins-Burish
Sheppard

Ideally, Hertl would take the #1LW spot, we'd get a guy like Clarke MacArthur for the #2RW spot, and Sheppard would take Burish's spot. We all know the latter two won't happen, so I think putting one of Torres and Wingels on the #2RW spot is how it'll go for now until Havlat gets back.

Is that acceptable? Meh. I wouldn't hate it, but it could be a lot better. Signing someone off the scrap heap (Wellwood, specifically) would help to mitigate those concerns of mine. I don't want to role with both a rookie and a third liner in the top-6. One or the other.
I agree with this, though I think we need to go another direction than Wellwood. We honestly have no idea whats out there other than the players who are already ufa, teams need to shed cap or make space for new acquisitions. There's already more options after today with the players that weren't qualified. DW might wait things out and see where players fall, or he could be targeting someone on day 1, who knows?

Old
07-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
id rather him not sign anyone else if they have no offensive upside.

right now my list (in no order)
macarthur (likely cant afford)
halischuk (cheap, young, potential)
bring nieto up (would it be worth it to burn a year of his ELC?)
sign wellwood to 1 year (older, still retains speed, fits style needs, seemed to spend most of his time with shoot first players)

i honestly dont want stalberg anymore. his style is now redundant on the sharks with kennedy coming in.

Correction: It won't burn a year off Nieto's ELC if he plays next year because he will be on the 1st year of his ELC next year.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
murdock1116

Guys, DW is done making moves this offseason. After getting rid of Galiardi his team is set.

Marleau - Couture - Havlat (Wingels while injured.)
Hertl - Thornton - Burns
Torres - Pavelski - Kennedy (Maybe swap Kennedy and Havlat)
Wingels - Desi - Burish
Shep

Then when we are at the trade deadline next year and looking like we won't make the playoffs because Hertl Power was rushed into a top-6 spot, DW will trade Mueller and Nieto for a Jarome Iginla rental. We'll get the 7th seed and lose in 5 games to Chicago.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Juxtaposer

Curtis Pashelka ‏@CurtisPashelka 3m
#SJSharks GM Doug Wilson said he and Todd McLellan will talk with Brent Burns in the next day or two to discuss Burns' role going forward.

Curtis Pashelka ‏@CurtisPashelka 1m
Wilson -- "Brent will certainly have some input into it and I know Joe Thornton has had some input in it already."

That settles it. Forward it is.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:49 PM
do0glas

Quote:
#SJSharks GM Doug Wilson said he and Todd McLellan will talk with Brent Burns in the next day or two to discuss Burns' role going forward.

Wilson -- "Brent will certainly have some input into it and I know Joe Thornton has had some input in it already."

i like that they consult with the thornton and burns. ultimately the staff will decide how they want him contributing.

but if hes capable of 25-35 point totals with thornton you do it.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:49 PM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

I still believe we need another top-6 F2, and I wouldn't be too angry if they used Wellwood to do that instead, but the current lineup is not bad

Kennedy-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Hertl
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Desjardins-Sheppard-Burish

If Havlat gets back and we sign an F2 (I'll say Wellwood to make Jux happy)

Kennedy-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Wellwood-Pavelski-Hertl
Torres-Sheppard-Wingels

Then our 4th line is Chicago caliber. The more I think about it, the more I think we need to keep Burns at forward.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Lol wow, I swear I hadn't even read Jux/dooglas' post when I said that

Old
07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
pappaf2

Quote:

Could mean they are waiting to see if they make something happen FA or Trade by Friday.

Closed Thread