HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long till.....?

View Poll Results: How Long Till Rick Joins the Front Office or Management Team?
Less than 1 month 3 5.77%
Less than 3 months 6 11.54%
Less than 6 months 2 3.85%
Less than a year 9 17.31%
More that a year 9 17.31%
Never 23 44.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
How long till.....?

How long till we see Rick DiPietro in the front office or a part of the management structure?

07-03-2013, 11:36 AM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
The only reason I didn't say immediately is because he probably needs time to blow more steam off, and because politically it would be a downer.

I am hoping Garth keeps him very far away. Now that the relationship between him and Wang is out of the bag his inclusion in the team would be a very bad move. For starters his decision making process revolves around what he gets vs. What is best for the club. Keep that kind of personality very far from this group of young talent, thank you.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Bunk Moreland

I think he's going to take a little time off and nurse his ego and what not I'm sure he's going to eventually try to make another comeback but I think its a give he'll eventually join the team in some fashion I think it'll be over a year.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Wedregast

I see him coming back to the organization right before training camp starts. I don't see Wang letting him sit outside the organization for long. Takes a few months to get his head wrapped around the fact he's not a player anymore. No idea what capacity though... assistant goalie coach? Scouting?

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
MJF

vCash: 500
I said never. Hoping that bu the time he transitions into life after his playing days Wang has sold the team.

I wish Ricky well.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
NYI JT91

Is the relationship between Rick and Charles no more or what ?

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

**** i really want this guy out of the organization for good. I feel like he would be a terrible candidate for any type of position. Scouting? I see him favoriting players for bad reasons. Coaching? I don't see him being able to offer any good insight whatsoever. Let's be honest this guy was never a full time player so what would he know? Plus his ego may get in the way and i can even see him subtly putting players down

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
**** i really want this guy out of the organization for good. I feel like he would be a terrible candidate for any type of position. Scouting? I see him favoriting players for bad reasons. Coaching? I don't see him being able to offer any good insight whatsoever. Let's be honest this guy was never a full time player so what would he know? Plus his ego may get in the way and i can even see him subtly putting players down
I wouldn't bash DP just yet. Someone back me up but wasn't he helping out a lot of the youngsters in the organization as well? I remember reading/hearing about it within the last year.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Chairman Wang

He really should go into some media position. If I owned the team i would bring Billy Jaffe back for TV. Then I would try Butchie, DiPietro and Dennis Potvin for the alternate language track. I bet all of you would tune in on the alternate track.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
12Dog

Depends on for how much longer Wang owns the team. He appears after MM to have been his biggest fan.

12Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Fantom

I can see him taking over for butch at some point.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:31 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

He's going to keep playing hockey.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
A lot of coaches (Gordon and Cappy, for example) did not have long or successful NHL careers. Ironically, the ones that do seem to struggle more at the coaching position (Butch?). Your career length or personal ability has nothing to do with how well you know the game and can teach the game.

And your last sentence is complete garbage, please. Not saying I want Rick as a coach or if he'd even be interested in coaching, but that's just silly.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:40 PM
StumpNYI

In 3 years, he will become a goalie coach. Then the team will advance to the Stanley Cup finals. In game 7 warm-ups at home, Nilsson goes down with a groin pull and Dipietro is signed to an one-day pro contract immediately after as a backup. Late in the second, Poulin goes down with a knee and hip injury. Dipietro emerges from the dressing room in his classic goalie gear at the start of the 3rd with the Islanders trailing a goal. He makes a 25 saves effort and helps the Islanders gain a one goal lead with only a couple minutes left on the clock. It appears the Islanders are about to win their first Stanley Cup in 30 years as the clock winds down to a couple of seconds. But wait...Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is tripped on a breakaway and is awarded a penalty shot with .01 seconds on the clock! Dipietro stands alone in the crease with all eyes in the sports world, gazing upon him. Nugent-Hopkins comes in with speed and dekes Dipietro out of his knee sockets and hip flexors! As Ricky is crumbling to the ground in agony, he remembers all of the boos and the haters over the last 15 years. He makes one last glorious attempt. But not for them, but for him. Ignoring the fact his arm is about to spontaneously combust, he reaches toward the empty net with the puck sailing towards it from an easy Nugent-Hopkins tap in. For a split second it is silent, because there is no way he missed that, but the light behind the net never turned on. The refs all skate towards the net to find the puck. Dipietro, laying face down on the ice, slowly begins to move. He stands up, legs shaking from the pain. He looks at the refs, and flips them the puck from in his glove. Dipietro removes his helmet, leaves it on the ice, skates off into the dressing room, and never returns. The crowd begins to roar! Rick Dipietro becomes a legend.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
bossy22

Wanted to vote but the poll didnt have a 'Who Cares' or 'Let's move on' option.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
In 3 years, he will become a goalie coach. Then the team will advance to the Stanley Cup finals. In game 7 warm-ups at home, Nilsson goes down with a groin pull and Dipietro is signed to an one-day pro contract immediately after as a backup. Late in the second, Poulin goes down with a knee and hip injury. Dipietro emerges from the dressing room in his classic goalie gear at the start of the 3rd with the Islanders trailing a goal. He makes a 25 saves effort and helps the Islanders gain a one goal lead with only a couple minutes left on the clock. It appears the Islanders are about to win their first Stanley Cup in 30 years as the clock winds down to a couple of seconds. But wait...Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is tripped on a breakaway and is awarded a penalty shot with .01 seconds on the clock! Dipietro stands alone in the crease with all eyes in the sports world, gazing upon him. Nugent-Hopkins comes in with speed and dekes Dipietro out of his knee sockets and hip flexors! As Ricky is crumbling to the ground in agony, he remembers all of the boos and the haters over the last 15 years. He makes one last glorious attempt. But not for them, but for him. Ignoring the fact his arm is about to spontaneously combust, he reaches toward the empty net with the puck sailing towards it from an easy Nugent-Hopkins tap in. For a split second it is silent, because there is no way he missed that, but the light behind the net never turned on. The refs all skate towards the net to find the puck. Dipietro, laying face down on the ice, slowly begins to move. He stands up, legs shaking from the pain. He looks at the refs, and flips them the puck from in his glove. Dipietro removes his helmet, leaves it on the ice, skates off into the dressing room, and never returns. The crowd begins to roar! Rick Dipietro becomes a legend.
This was one of the finest posts I've read on this board. Well done.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Wanted to vote but the poll didnt have a 'Who Cares' or 'Let's move on' option.

The 'Who Cares' option is not posting anything. The 'Let's move on' option is labeled 'Never' in the poll.

More then enough options to cover for everyone in this thread.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
This was one of the finest posts I've read on this board. Well done.
Appreciate that. Came from the heart.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Macch

DP is too proud just give up. He'll try a comeback and I wish him the best of luck.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
DP is too proud just give up. He'll try a comeback and I wish him the best of luck.
This. I don't see him giving up on his career anytime soon (even though he really should).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
i usually skip the long posts, but read that whole one. gripping!! and a surprise ending, good job.

i was expecting he made the save but his arm fell off and into the netor something so the goal counted, haha.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I don't think he goes that route. I believe that he's going to give it another try to make it as an athlete and then officially retire in 2 years. However, when he does retire, I fully expect him to become the NYI color commentator, and I gotta say I can't wait. He has a great personality & he loves to talk. He'll be a great addition to the booth. Plus you gotta figure Butch is going to retire soon enough. He is 63 afterall.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:17 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
A lot of coaches (Gordon and Cappy, for example) did not have long or successful NHL careers. Ironically, the ones that do seem to struggle more at the coaching position (Butch?). Your career length or personal ability has nothing to do with how well you know the game and can teach the game.

And your last sentence is complete garbage, please. Not saying I want Rick as a coach or if he'd even be interested in coaching, but that's just silly.
I kinda think coaches have to appreciate fundamentals and basics to coach. No, it's simple logic. You can't coach unless you embrace fundamental tenets of the game and strategy.

So how would a serial goalie coach killer who refused to embrace anything near normal and whose passing was just erratic, whose positioning banned by the Vatican would have set the HHOF on fire if a video of him playing ever aired in there as ghosts of legends past turn poltergeist, whose timing was as reliable as a cheap Mexican Timex knockoff smelling of lime wedges and stale beer, whose read on his defensemen saw Witt wanting to behead him in some photos....

He would make Wayne Gretzky look like Scotty Boman as far as coaching goes.

Rick would be a horrible coach. His ten cent skull throughout his career proves such. DEFINITELY a reality TV show star, though. And I didn't like his color commentary. He was probably nervous, but just seemed like a dead fish on camera.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Bexlyspeed

somebody is going to sign him, he may never play in the NHL but somebody will give him a chance for basically no money as fas as NHL contracts go.

he wont retire anytime soon and who knows he may even go to play in europe for a bit, but i think he really thinkgs he's got what it takes to come back to the nhl

Bexlyspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:38 AM
fishstick

Quote:
I'll take it.
So we play the Oilers in the SC finals or is RNH traded?

fishstick is offline   Reply With Quote