HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Isles Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I'm reserving my judgement on the place until after I actually experience a game there; something you don't seem to be willing or capable of doing. I'm well aware that there may very well be some warts in regards to hockey at the Barclays. But again, I'll judge for myself with my own senses on Sept. 21. You just keep mining your clairvoyant abilities and someday you may even be able to pick the winning lottery numbers.

Suckered into buying tickets? Nah, I'm just excited to see what it's all about. This will probably be the first and last pre-season game I actually pay money to see. It's a monumental occasion as it's the first hockey game in the new arena. It also happens to involve my favorite team. I have the money to spend, so I choose to spend it on this. Seems like an educated choice to me. But alas, only you seem capable of thinking for yourself, so I must be getting duped by the evil publicity agents who are employed by Barclays. Woe is ****ing me!

You, wise? Haha, thanks for the laugh. If it is indeed Kool-Aid I'm drinking, at least I'm quenching a thirst instead of choking from the dry throat of bitter disappointment and resentment. Life's too short to get your undies in a bunch over a ****ing sports team.
And I await, with much anticipation, your report after going to the game.

My only resentment and disappointment lies in the fact tat my favorite team was finally getting some traction in terms of respectability in the league and they are now poised to become a laughing stock again.

Oh wait I forgot.....they are moving to Brooklyn, all is right with the world.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
Could you post a link to the article that you read that says this? I haven't heard that from anyone yet and would like to read up on it. Wouldn't you be able to check the sight lines on stub hub or ticketmaster or the isles site for a virtual view of your seats too? I'm pretty sure thats a feature on one of those sites. I'm just not sure which.
There were pics posted in a thread here back in the beginning of the summer, but I did find this link:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...nders-brooklyn

Oh and there is this too:

http://www.seatdata.com/images/nhl_c...00x600/228.jpg

Found this too:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...450377&page=11

Old
09-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

My only resentment and disappointment lies in the fact tat my favorite team was finally getting some traction in terms of respectability in the league and they are now poised to become a laughing stock again.

Well apparently all isn't well in the world if the mere mention of Brooklyn gives you the uncontrollable urge to lash out against something you admittedly have no experience with, nor any desire to see for yourself. It must be terrible to be so bitter and close-minded about things.

My report will be posted and it will be genuine based on my feelings about Barclays, warts and all. But even if I have a great time on 9/21, you'll just accuse me of taking the blue pill, right? I mean, it couldn't be possible that anyone would actually enjoy seeing a game in Brooklyn!

Look, I'm not a blind optimist when it comes to the new arena, but I am excited about the new possibilities that the move offers. In the meantime, it's a wait and see approach in regards to the new building with two years to go before they become a permanent resident. There may very well be issues on 9/21, but they'll have time to address them before the puck drops on the '15-'16 season. Maybe we should keep the blood pressure down until then, huh?

Last edited by Strummergas: 09-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old
09-03-2013, 10:13 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
If someone is too dense to figure out where those seats are, and then avoid them.... then they deserve to lose their money. You know where the seats would be even worse? Kansas City
After the Isles-Kings game there made no noise, KC was never an option. And have you noticed, no other NHL team is running to test the waters there either? Nor is any team hitching their wagons to Seattle.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Of course forgetting the fact that the one game played in KC drew roughly 8,000 fans and once Wang saw that KC was never an option.
If the Islanders didn't move to Barclays (which is obviously something you were against), where do you think they are in 2015?

Old
09-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Jester9881

Quote:

As long as they win, they will not be a laughing stock. The configuration of Barclays will not effect that. Case in point, the Wings play in a dump (the Joe is not much better than NVMC, if at all), and in a city that is bankrupt. I don't think anyone is going to be calling them a laughing stock any time soon.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
bvon44

Quote:
There were pics posted in a thread here back in the beginning of the summer, but I did find this link:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...nders-brooklyn

Oh and there is this too:

http://www.seatdata.com/images/nhl_c...00x600/228.jpg

Found this too:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...450377&page=11
Middle link is not Barclays, that's the US Airways Center in Phoenix.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
@ChrisBottaNHL 47m
Capacity at Barclays for Isles-NJD Sept 21 will be under 13,000. Execs hope to have 15,000 full-view seats for NHL by 2015. @SBJSBD
https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...29415404544000

Old
09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
If the Islanders didn't move to Barclays (which is obviously something you were against), where do you think they are in 2015?
Quebec would be my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
So 15,000 full view. I wonder how many on top of that will be obstructed or limited?

09-03-2013, 01:06 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
They're going to shim seats on both ends so they sit at a 30 to 45 degree angle....so you don't have to lean to the side to see the net.

And maybe some well placed mirrors will help.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:17 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Anyone notice that the new ad campaign, A Shift in Power, with JT, MM and KO, is dominantly black and white? As is the Isles' site now...

Old
09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
After the Isles-Kings game there made no noise, KC was never an option. And have you noticed, no other NHL team is running to test the waters there either? Nor is any team hitching their wagons to Seattle.
Now that the Phoenix saga has been settled, what other NHL team is in such danger of having to relocate that Seattle would actually be considered a destination for any franchise other than an expansion club?

Old
09-03-2013, 01:42 PM
MJF

Quote:
Now that the Phoenix saga has been settled, what other NHL team is in such danger of having to relocate that Seattle would actually be considered a destination for any franchise other than an expansion club?
My UNeducated guess would be the Panthers. Although we haven't really heard anything out of Sunrise. And I can't really imagine the NHL wanting to expand anymore. The product is wAtered down enough as it is.

Old
09-03-2013, 03:16 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
My UNeducated guess would be the Panthers. Although we haven't really heard anything out of Sunrise. And I can't really imagine the NHL wanting to expand anymore. The product is wAtered down enough as it is.
Not even close.

Jackets are closest but even they are not even close to relocating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Quebec would be my guess.

So 15,000 full view. I wonder how many on top of that will be obstructed or limited?
Good news 15000 good seats is enough.

Old
09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Not even close.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the Panthers majority owner was having trouble with one of the partners.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Anyone notice that the new ad campaign, A Shift in Power, with JT, MM and KO, is dominantly black and white? As is the Isles' site now...
Immediately thought the exact same thing. Very concerning and almost surely an early nod to the Brooklyn move. Looking at a website predominantly in black and white does not even feel like the Islanders. To me Blue and Orange IS the Islanders. This Sucks.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:28 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
Immediately thought the exact same thing. Very concerning and almost surely an early nod to the Brooklyn move. Looking at a website predominantly in black and white does not even feel like the Islanders. To me Blue and Orange IS the Islanders. This Sucks.
And notice the font too.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
As long as they win, they will not be a laughing stock. The configuration of Barclays will not effect that. Case in point, the Wings play in a dump (the Joe is not much better than NVMC, if at all), and in a city that is bankrupt. I don't think anyone is going to be calling them a laughing stock any time soon.
The Joe, like NVMC, has great sight lines and I am sure their new building will too because it is being built for the sport in which the Wings play not shoe horning a hockey team into a basketball arena.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
What I am against is them being shoe horned into an arena not made for the sport in which they play. I am also against the owner alienating the teams fan base.

Had they not moved they would more than likely have remained in Nassau. With the election coming up I am sure someone gunning for Mangano and Murray's office, they would have made the Isles and the Coliseum area and prime campaigning item.

Quebec had an outside chance but at the time they had no arena either. They just broke ground late spring early summer.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Well apparently all isn't well in the world if the mere mention of Brooklyn gives you the uncontrollable urge to lash out against something you admittedly have no experience with, nor any desire to see for yourself. It must be terrible to be so bitter and close-minded about things.

My report will be posted and it will be genuine based on my feelings about Barclays, warts and all. But even if I have a great time on 9/21, you'll just accuse me of taking the blue pill, right? I mean, it couldn't be possible that anyone would actually enjoy seeing a game in Brooklyn!

Look, I'm not a blind optimist when it comes to the new arena, but I am excited about the new possibilities that the move offers. In the meantime, it's a wait and see approach in regards to the new building with two years to go before they become a permanent resident. There may very well be issues on 9/21, but they'll have time to address them before the puck drops on the '15-'16 season. Maybe we should keep the blood pressure down until then, huh?
While I look forward to your thoughts, and I really mean that, I just hope they are honest and not through Brooklyn colored glasses. After all you, based on your avatar, you live there, so the fact they move to your backyard makes an unbiased opinion very interesting.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
While I look forward to your thoughts, and I really mean that, I just hope they are honest and not through Brooklyn colored glasses. After all you, based on your avatar, you live there, so the fact they move to your backyard makes an unbiased opinion very interesting.
I do live in Brooklyn, but I grew up on LI. Admittedly, I have no allegiance to LI, and now that the Isles are on the verge of moving if I can just get my parents and brother to move out of there, I'd be pleased to never have to cross the border from Queens into Nassau again.

However, my main concern over the uncertain future of the Isles up until they signed the lease with Barclays was that the team remained local. If that wound up being Nassau, I would've been perfectly fine with that. Alas, it didn't shake out that way, so I am looking forward to the convenience of getting to the game by subway and being able to go to weeknight games. That being said, if there are issues with the arena, they should be discussed. It would be pointless to pretend that nothing is wrong with the building if indeed there is. Discussing the problems would hopefully prompt the powers that be to fix the issues before the move actually takes place in 2015. In fact, I think that's one of the main reasons this game is actually taking place so far in advance to the actual move; to give hockey a test drive at Barclays and see what needs to be improved upon.

Believe me, I will give an honest review. But don't expect a rant even if the experience was less than stellar because I will be holding out hope to see the problems addressed by 2015.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Not even close.

I'm pro Brooklyn and 15k should be enough if they're all full view.

What people need to remember for the preseason game is that it's a trial run & will give them direction as to what needs fixing before 2015.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
What I am against is them being shoe horned into an arena not made for the sport in which they play. I am also against the owner alienating the teams fan base.

Had they not moved they would more than likely have remained in Nassau. With the election coming up I am sure someone gunning for Mangano and Murray's office, they would have made the Isles and the Coliseum area and prime campaigning item.

Quebec had an outside chance but at the time they had no arena either. They just broke ground late spring early summer.
It sucks thinking about that because it's true. Politicians will get things done when it comes to getting elected to office so they can stick their hands in the piggy bank.

But yet again, I could easily see Wang being a spiteful.

Last edited by Bunk Moreland: 09-03-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Just leave it at that...
Old
09-03-2013, 07:19 PM
SouthShore91

Already been noted but for those that have continually claimed the colours and logo aren't going to change note the website right now. It's disgusting that they are going to throw away our heritage for Brooklyn.

Old
09-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
Already been noted but for those that have continually claimed the colours and logo aren't going to change note the website right now. It's disgusting that they are going to throw away our heritage for Brooklyn.
It will be our 3rd jersey.

Closed Thread