HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
  #251
Isles Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I'm reserving my judgement on the place until after I actually experience a game there; something you don't seem to be willing or capable of doing. I'm well aware that there may very well be some warts in regards to hockey at the Barclays. But again, I'll judge for myself with my own senses on Sept. 21. You just keep mining your clairvoyant abilities and someday you may even be able to pick the winning lottery numbers.

Suckered into buying tickets? Nah, I'm just excited to see what it's all about. This will probably be the first and last pre-season game I actually pay money to see. It's a monumental occasion as it's the first hockey game in the new arena. It also happens to involve my favorite team. I have the money to spend, so I choose to spend it on this. Seems like an educated choice to me. But alas, only you seem capable of thinking for yourself, so I must be getting duped by the evil publicity agents who are employed by Barclays. Woe is ****ing me!

You, wise? Haha, thanks for the laugh. If it is indeed Kool-Aid I'm drinking, at least I'm quenching a thirst instead of choking from the dry throat of bitter disappointment and resentment. Life's too short to get your undies in a bunch over a ****ing sports team.
And I await, with much anticipation, your report after going to the game.

My only resentment and disappointment lies in the fact tat my favorite team was finally getting some traction in terms of respectability in the league and they are now poised to become a laughing stock again.

Oh wait I forgot.....they are moving to Brooklyn, all is right with the world.

Isles Fan is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 08:12 AM
  #252
Isles Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
Could you post a link to the article that you read that says this? I haven't heard that from anyone yet and would like to read up on it. Wouldn't you be able to check the sight lines on stub hub or ticketmaster or the isles site for a virtual view of your seats too? I'm pretty sure thats a feature on one of those sites. I'm just not sure which.
There were pics posted in a thread here back in the beginning of the summer, but I did find this link:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...nders-brooklyn

Oh and there is this too:

http://www.seatdata.com/images/nhl_c...00x600/228.jpg

Found this too:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...450377&page=11

Isles Fan is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 09:25 AM
  #253
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
And I await, with much anticipation, your report after going to the game.

My only resentment and disappointment lies in the fact tat my favorite team was finally getting some traction in terms of respectability in the league and they are now poised to become a laughing stock again.

Oh wait I forgot.....they are moving to Brooklyn, all is right with the world.
Well apparently all isn't well in the world if the mere mention of Brooklyn gives you the uncontrollable urge to lash out against something you admittedly have no experience with, nor any desire to see for yourself. It must be terrible to be so bitter and close-minded about things.

My report will be posted and it will be genuine based on my feelings about Barclays, warts and all. But even if I have a great time on 9/21, you'll just accuse me of taking the blue pill, right? I mean, it couldn't be possible that anyone would actually enjoy seeing a game in Brooklyn!

Look, I'm not a blind optimist when it comes to the new arena, but I am excited about the new possibilities that the move offers. In the meantime, it's a wait and see approach in regards to the new building with two years to go before they become a permanent resident. There may very well be issues on 9/21, but they'll have time to address them before the puck drops on the '15-'16 season. Maybe we should keep the blood pressure down until then, huh?


Last edited by Strummergas: 09-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Strummergas is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:13 AM
  #254
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
If someone is too dense to figure out where those seats are, and then avoid them.... then they deserve to lose their money. You know where the seats would be even worse? Kansas City
After the Isles-Kings game there made no noise, KC was never an option. And have you noticed, no other NHL team is running to test the waters there either? Nor is any team hitching their wagons to Seattle.

MJF is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #255
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Of course forgetting the fact that the one game played in KC drew roughly 8,000 fans and once Wang saw that KC was never an option.
If the Islanders didn't move to Barclays (which is obviously something you were against), where do you think they are in 2015?

Jester9881 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 10:43 AM
  #256
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
And I await, with much anticipation, your report after going to the game.

My only resentment and disappointment lies in the fact tat my favorite team was finally getting some traction in terms of respectability in the league and they are now poised to become a laughing stock again.

Oh wait I forgot.....they are moving to Brooklyn, all is right with the world.
As long as they win, they will not be a laughing stock. The configuration of Barclays will not effect that. Case in point, the Wings play in a dump (the Joe is not much better than NVMC, if at all), and in a city that is bankrupt. I don't think anyone is going to be calling them a laughing stock any time soon.

Jester9881 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
  #257
bvon44
Registered User
 
bvon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
There were pics posted in a thread here back in the beginning of the summer, but I did find this link:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...nders-brooklyn

Oh and there is this too:

http://www.seatdata.com/images/nhl_c...00x600/228.jpg

Found this too:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...450377&page=11
Middle link is not Barclays, that's the US Airways Center in Phoenix.

bvon44 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
  #258
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,998
vCash: 234
Quote:
@ChrisBottaNHL 47m
Capacity at Barclays for Isles-NJD Sept 21 will be under 13,000. Execs hope to have 15,000 full-view seats for NHL by 2015. @SBJSBD
https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...29415404544000

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  #259
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
If the Islanders didn't move to Barclays (which is obviously something you were against), where do you think they are in 2015?
Quebec would be my guess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
So 15,000 full view. I wonder how many on top of that will be obstructed or limited?

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:06 PM
  #260
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
They're going to shim seats on both ends so they sit at a 30 to 45 degree angle....so you don't have to lean to the side to see the net.

And maybe some well placed mirrors will help.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:17 PM
  #261
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,932
vCash: 500
Anyone notice that the new ad campaign, A Shift in Power, with JT, MM and KO, is dominantly black and white? As is the Isles' site now...

DarkHorse is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
  #262
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
After the Isles-Kings game there made no noise, KC was never an option. And have you noticed, no other NHL team is running to test the waters there either? Nor is any team hitching their wagons to Seattle.
Now that the Phoenix saga has been settled, what other NHL team is in such danger of having to relocate that Seattle would actually be considered a destination for any franchise other than an expansion club?

Strummergas is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:42 PM
  #263
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Now that the Phoenix saga has been settled, what other NHL team is in such danger of having to relocate that Seattle would actually be considered a destination for any franchise other than an expansion club?
My UNeducated guess would be the Panthers. Although we haven't really heard anything out of Sunrise. And I can't really imagine the NHL wanting to expand anymore. The product is wAtered down enough as it is.

MJF is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:16 PM
  #264
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
My UNeducated guess would be the Panthers. Although we haven't really heard anything out of Sunrise. And I can't really imagine the NHL wanting to expand anymore. The product is wAtered down enough as it is.
Not even close.


Jackets are closest but even they are not even close to relocating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Quebec would be my guess.




So 15,000 full view. I wonder how many on top of that will be obstructed or limited?
Good news 15000 good seats is enough.

The Korean* is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
  #265
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Not even close.


Jackets are closest but even they are not even close to relocating.



Good news 15000 good seats is enough.
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the Panthers majority owner was having trouble with one of the partners.

MJF is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:25 PM
  #266
Satan'sIsland81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Anyone notice that the new ad campaign, A Shift in Power, with JT, MM and KO, is dominantly black and white? As is the Isles' site now...
Immediately thought the exact same thing. Very concerning and almost surely an early nod to the Brooklyn move. Looking at a website predominantly in black and white does not even feel like the Islanders. To me Blue and Orange IS the Islanders. This Sucks.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  #267
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
Immediately thought the exact same thing. Very concerning and almost surely an early nod to the Brooklyn move. Looking at a website predominantly in black and white does not even feel like the Islanders. To me Blue and Orange IS the Islanders. This Sucks.
And notice the font too.

The Korean* is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  #268
Isles Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
As long as they win, they will not be a laughing stock. The configuration of Barclays will not effect that. Case in point, the Wings play in a dump (the Joe is not much better than NVMC, if at all), and in a city that is bankrupt. I don't think anyone is going to be calling them a laughing stock any time soon.
The Joe, like NVMC, has great sight lines and I am sure their new building will too because it is being built for the sport in which the Wings play not shoe horning a hockey team into a basketball arena.

Isles Fan is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:06 PM
  #269
Isles Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
If the Islanders didn't move to Barclays (which is obviously something you were against), where do you think they are in 2015?
What I am against is them being shoe horned into an arena not made for the sport in which they play. I am also against the owner alienating the teams fan base.

Had they not moved they would more than likely have remained in Nassau. With the election coming up I am sure someone gunning for Mangano and Murray's office, they would have made the Isles and the Coliseum area and prime campaigning item.

Quebec had an outside chance but at the time they had no arena either. They just broke ground late spring early summer.

Isles Fan is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:08 PM
  #270
Isles Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Well apparently all isn't well in the world if the mere mention of Brooklyn gives you the uncontrollable urge to lash out against something you admittedly have no experience with, nor any desire to see for yourself. It must be terrible to be so bitter and close-minded about things.

My report will be posted and it will be genuine based on my feelings about Barclays, warts and all. But even if I have a great time on 9/21, you'll just accuse me of taking the blue pill, right? I mean, it couldn't be possible that anyone would actually enjoy seeing a game in Brooklyn!

Look, I'm not a blind optimist when it comes to the new arena, but I am excited about the new possibilities that the move offers. In the meantime, it's a wait and see approach in regards to the new building with two years to go before they become a permanent resident. There may very well be issues on 9/21, but they'll have time to address them before the puck drops on the '15-'16 season. Maybe we should keep the blood pressure down until then, huh?
While I look forward to your thoughts, and I really mean that, I just hope they are honest and not through Brooklyn colored glasses. After all you, based on your avatar, you live there, so the fact they move to your backyard makes an unbiased opinion very interesting.

Isles Fan is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
  #271
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
While I look forward to your thoughts, and I really mean that, I just hope they are honest and not through Brooklyn colored glasses. After all you, based on your avatar, you live there, so the fact they move to your backyard makes an unbiased opinion very interesting.
I do live in Brooklyn, but I grew up on LI. Admittedly, I have no allegiance to LI, and now that the Isles are on the verge of moving if I can just get my parents and brother to move out of there, I'd be pleased to never have to cross the border from Queens into Nassau again.

However, my main concern over the uncertain future of the Isles up until they signed the lease with Barclays was that the team remained local. If that wound up being Nassau, I would've been perfectly fine with that. Alas, it didn't shake out that way, so I am looking forward to the convenience of getting to the game by subway and being able to go to weeknight games. That being said, if there are issues with the arena, they should be discussed. It would be pointless to pretend that nothing is wrong with the building if indeed there is. Discussing the problems would hopefully prompt the powers that be to fix the issues before the move actually takes place in 2015. In fact, I think that's one of the main reasons this game is actually taking place so far in advance to the actual move; to give hockey a test drive at Barclays and see what needs to be improved upon.

Believe me, I will give an honest review. But don't expect a rant even if the experience was less than stellar because I will be holding out hope to see the problems addressed by 2015.

Strummergas is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
  #272
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Not even close.


Jackets are closest but even they are not even close to relocating.



Good news 15000 good seats is enough.
I'm pro Brooklyn and 15k should be enough if they're all full view.


What people need to remember for the preseason game is that it's a trial run & will give them direction as to what needs fixing before 2015.

Homeland Security is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 05:49 PM
  #273
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 937
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
What I am against is them being shoe horned into an arena not made for the sport in which they play. I am also against the owner alienating the teams fan base.

Had they not moved they would more than likely have remained in Nassau. With the election coming up I am sure someone gunning for Mangano and Murray's office, they would have made the Isles and the Coliseum area and prime campaigning item.

Quebec had an outside chance but at the time they had no arena either. They just broke ground late spring early summer.
It sucks thinking about that because it's true. Politicians will get things done when it comes to getting elected to office so they can stick their hands in the piggy bank.

But yet again, I could easily see Wang being a spiteful.


Last edited by Bunk Moreland: 09-03-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Just leave it at that...
Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 07:19 PM
  #274
SouthShore91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Already been noted but for those that have continually claimed the colours and logo aren't going to change note the website right now. It's disgusting that they are going to throw away our heritage for Brooklyn.

SouthShore91 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 07:25 PM
  #275
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
Already been noted but for those that have continually claimed the colours and logo aren't going to change note the website right now. It's disgusting that they are going to throw away our heritage for Brooklyn.
It will be our 3rd jersey.

Homeland Security is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.