HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 06:26 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
At 6 in the evening it is a 30 minute trip. Just getting down Deer Park Ave can be a nightmare at that hour.
My question to you is, why are you going down DPA? It's not necessary at all.

And I used to live in that area and went to school out in Patchogue, I've done that trip a million times.

Quote:
Sayville to NVMC is 30 min, I grew up in Uniondale and my folks still live there, do it all the time and driving there are options such as Sunrise or Ocean Parkway so even in rush hour no more than 40 min. Had season tickets for over 15 years and still go to 10-15 games a year. I know the drill well.
So, somehow it's 30 minutes to Bablyon train station which is twenty minutes closer to your starting point and 30 minutes to Uniondale, which is further and in a more congested area? It's just not possible or true, no matter how familiar you are with the drill.

Sunrise alone going west is a nightmare. Ocean parkway takes me at least 30 minutes from the Coliseum to West Islip, which is about 15-20 minutes away from Sayville still.

So unless you're speeding like a madman, it's just not possible.

Quote:
I applaud your creative math though. It's way more than a 20 minute difference and driving is by far more stress free then rushing to catch a train and hoping you catch your transfer on time.
It's so stressful sitting on a train for an hour. Catching a transfer isn't a big deal, especially when there are a thousand other people wearing jerseys for you to follow.

I suggest you figure out how to get to the Babylon train station in a quicker fashion. If you take sunrise to DPA south you can then exit on John Street and that'll take you about 3 blocks away from the train station if you head west. If your issue is with DPA at all (even though there isn't any traffic on that part of DPA), you can exit before it in West Islip and take Udall/Higbie road to John street and avoid it all together.

Quote:
Like the comparison but off the mark.

The Mets have a huge parking lot and it's summertime, less traffic and congestion, and no one really goes.
Oh, so now the commute isn't the issue, it's the parking!

The Mets play in the spring, summer, and fall (albeit, not in a while). They play every day of the week and that includes weekends, where there is more traffic during the summer months. And people went in '06 and '07...to make the claim that people don't go because they aren't going currently is ludicrous. And they've also hosted other events there.

Also, the Yankees have no parking. How do people manage to go?

Quote:
As for Jets and Giants, not even part of the conversation as the NFL it's it's own animal and cannot be compared to any other sport. Going to a football game is an all day event when you figure in the tailgate portion. I think there is some merit to your MSG comparison though.
The NFL comparison is just showing that people can and do travel long distances to go see teams they love. People from Suffolk even!

And of course there is merit to the MSG and Nets comparison, it's the same damn thing and pretty much a non issue.

Quote:
I think for a lot of people there is comfort in driving because you control your own destiny. You are bound by a train schedule and if you hit traffic you have the choice of going a different route. Whereas with the train, there is always some sort of stress involved hoping you don't miss the train or the transfer. Depending on the schedule you may even have to miss part of the game to make the train or stay for the whole thing and wait, somewhere along your journey, for a connection. I think if Barclay's had ample parking it is a moot point, but they have barely any parking at all.
It's just a non-issue. Every other major sports team has to deal with the same thing in our area, why should the Islanders be no different (especially considering the alternative was to not have a team anymore).

Quote:
BINGO!!! Winner winner chicken dinner.

It's all about "ME".

In almost every thread you read, those supporting the move, or trying to convince others the commute is easy, live nearby Barclay's while discrediting the longtime fans who live on Long Island. Why? Because it makes their lives easier while at the same time creating issues for those who don't.
So it's all about you!

Coming from Suffolk I'm nowhere near Brooklyn and I'm happy they are staying somewhere I can go see them, rather to a place that I can't. I won't cry about an extra hour on to my commute to go see them.

Quote:
The other part of this entire issue surrounding the move is that if your old enough to have seen the dynasty teams or even the crappy teams of the 70's or early 90's, there is this feeling of "these are my guys and this is my team". Back in the day many of the players lived locally and because you saw them in the deli or a restaurant there was a connection. For many that feeling is being taken away and as an emotional investment it's hard for some to swallow.
So it's about you again!

Guess what, it's not 1970 anymore or the early 90's. There was a way for the Coliseum to be saved and it didn't work. Complaining because the team is moving just a few miles down the road is being selfish and baby-ish, especially considering how many of these 'fans' didn't go to any games for the longest time. I'm not citing you specifically, about not going to games but rather the fan base in general.

Quote:
While I am old enough to have seen Parise, Drouin, Lewis, Goring, the Sutters, MacMillen, St Laurent, Turgeon, Thomas, Flatley, Ferrero, Hogue and many others here only know as names on a roster, the emotional investment is not there for you.
So because you have an emotional investment, the team shouldn't be allowed to change location to a nicer arena, a more accessible area for the masses, a more profitable area, and a more identifiable area?

Quote:
The second part of this entire thing is that while I understand the need to move, being shoe horned into an arena not made for the sport, in the back yard of their biggest rival is dumb and foolish. I believe that as time moves forward this fact will eventually dawn on people as they go and miss 1/4 quarter of the action because they just plain cannot see it due to arena configuration and put up with far more Ranger fans then they do now. Had a move been made to a new arena, built for hockey in a location closer to or more associated with the past of the team, I think the those not supporting would be much quieter.
I personally don't view moving close to the Garden as a big deal. I'm under the impression that many of their fans are on the Island already. But it's certainly could be dumb in the long run (time will tell).

While I disagree with you about the relocation and travel dilemma, I do agree with the unhappiness that comes from an arena not fit for hockey. I'm hopeful that renovations will be made to make it more fitting. If that doesn't happen, then I will gripe, but not before.

Quote:
Now do I expect many here who only know this team over the past ten years to understand all of this, no I don't. Why? Because sports is different now then it used to be. Money is all that matters and if you grew up in that environment then this move is no big deal. I do feel bad for you though as you missed a great time to be in love with sports.
It's saddening and upsetting that the team will no longer be where it was, but I just view everything from the perspective that we're lucky the team is even staying nearby. Losing the team altogether would have been much more devastating.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
I am going to guess you are not married and do not have a family of your own on Long Island and please no offense intended.

Yes, most working families on LI have 2 cars which means Dad is driving his home from work while Mom is driving hers home from work at the same time. Most homes on LI feature 2 working parents.

The scenario is very real and while a train station may be within a half hour, it doesn't mean it is convenient. I live in Sayville, for those familiar, the LIRR stop is 5 min away however after a certain time at night trains run only hourly from Babylon, so if I miss it I am stuck in Babylon for an hour. Only other option is to take the train out of Babylon and then yes it's 30 minutes away.

I love the "hey hon hop on the XX train" scenario. First off chances Mom is going to the game are slim and secondly, if you were married you know that after you say that.....duck.
None taken, you're spot on. I'm 24 and just moved to Queens.

I grew up right next to sayville (Holbrook). Why would you go to Babylon instead of Ronkonkoma? It's a 10 min drive right up Broadway or Grundy Ave.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Not to single anyone out or anything but I love the comments about transferring trains at Jamaica. It's such a non-issue I have a hard time not chuckling every time I hear someone include it in the 'hassle' of taking the train.

Ya get off, look across the platform to see if the train says Atlantic Ave. If not, follow EVERYONE ELSE UP THE ESCALATOR and look at the board as you go up. Most people here can count to 8 so finding the track shouldn't be too hard. Sit down and crack your beer.

Just so silly. It seems this board is divided between the people who have/are commuting to NYC for work and are comfortable with trains, and those who don't and love taking their car everywhere.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Jester9881

Some of you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. The only thing(s) I'm going to miss due to the move are tailgating and the lets go Islanders beeping on the way out after a win. Actually.... the beeping was annoying as hell, so that's also a plus.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:03 AM
li7039

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Not to single anyone out or anything but I love the comments about transferring trains at Jamaica. It's such a non-issue I have a hard time not chuckling every time I hear someone include it in the 'hassle' of taking the train.

Ya get off, look across the platform to see if the train says Atlantic Ave. If not, follow EVERYONE ELSE UP THE ESCALATOR and look at the board as you go up. Most people here can count to 8 so finding the track shouldn't be too hard. Sit down and crack your beer.

Just so silly. It seems this board is divided between the people who have/are commuting to NYC for work and are comfortable with trains, and those who don't and love taking their car everywhere.
99.9% of the Brooklyn Bound trains are going to leave from track 3 and 99% of the Brooklyn connections arrive on track 2. If your coming in on an Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, or Montauk branch train there's a good chance you'll come in on track one and have to hike up the steps and over to 3 for the BK train but there's nothing to worry about. The only complaint I can think of about the train is the cost. Obviously driving to NVMC with a family of 4 is a quarter of the price of taking the train. Here's a tip for the fans who are going to be commuting to games via the LIRR. Unless you work in the city and have a zone 1 to wherever you live monthly ( or have kids who qualify for the free ride or child ticket) buy an off peak 10 trip ticket. It's something like 10% cheaper than 5 one way tickets, and you can share it among friends. There also good for 6 months. I'm a Rangers season ticket holder and commute from Babylon to MSG. The ticket is $91.50 from zone 9 vs $21.50 per game or $107.50 over 5 games. I don't know how many games some of you guys attend each year but the ten trip method saves me roughly $131.20 over the course of the season.

The railroad gets a lot of flack for poor service but at the end of the day its really not that bad. You may have a problem once or twice over the course of 50 or so games in Brooklyn. I know for me at Babylon there is a train every few minutes to NYC from 4PM on. Typically I take the 4:06, 4:35, or 5:13 trains depending on what time the game starts. All 3 of those trains have Brooklyn connections as well. I don't know much about return service but there was a number of times when the Rangers and Nets played at home on the same day and my train was held in Jamaica for the Barclay's shuttle train.

Give the train a shot on September 21st and see how it goes. If you really want to avoid transferring at Jamaica drive yourself to a Hempstead, or Far Rock away branch station and hop on the train there. Those are the ones that go right to Brooklyn 100% of the time just about on weekends. Round up your buddies, have em bring cash, get yourself a ten trip ticket, and make your way to whatever line is closest to you. The Babylon, Ronkonkoma, and Huntington lines are going to have the most frequent service to Jamaica and you shouldn't have much more than a 5 minute at most wait for the Brooklyn train. 90% of the time its going to be waiting for you across the platform or pulling in right as you pull in.

Another tip I got is this. If your on one of the main electric lines (Babylon, Ronkonkoma,Huntington) ride in the 3rd or 4th car of the train heading to the game. This should line you up with just about the first car of the BK train. You want to be as close to the front of the train as you can get in Brooklyn because its a terminal station where you have to walk past the front of the train to get to the concourse and the arena.

Final tip I have is this. If you happen to have a friend who say works in Manhattan, or wherever and has a monthly be careful about borrowing it. If the conductor wants to bust your chops and I've seen this happen they can ask for i.d to see if the signature or name on the ticket matches your id. I believe the mail and ride tickets have the persons name printed on the bottom, and the regular ticket booth monthly's have a spot where the pass holder is supposed to sign it. If they see that your using someone else's monthly they can take it away from you. That really sucks. So be careful. I'd say 99.9% of the time you can get away with it. Another thing is they punch the monthly's based on gender. So if your a guy and your girlfriend works in NYC and has a monthly don't try to pass off her ticket as yours. I've seen people do this a bunch of times and it never works, and when they take away your ticket the first week of the month your going to owe somebody a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck everyone who chooses to adopt the train method. Hopefully this leads to a couple of good hockey discussions on the way to and from games and not drunken brawls between fan bases when the two teams play at home on the same night.

Cheers

Old
09-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by li7039 View Post
Another tip I got is this. If your on one of the main electric lines (Babylon, Ronkonkoma,Huntington) ride in the 3rd or 4th car of the train heading to the game. This should line you up with just about the first car of the BK train. You want to be as close to the front of the train as you can get in Brooklyn because its a terminal station where you have to walk past the front of the train to get to the concourse and the arena.

Final tip I have is this. If you happen to have a friend who say works in Manhattan, or wherever and has a monthly be careful about borrowing it. If the conductor wants to bust your chops and I've seen this happen they can ask for i.d to see if the signature or name on the ticket matches your id. I believe the mail and ride tickets have the persons name printed on the bottom, and the regular ticket booth monthly's have a spot where the pass holder is supposed to sign it. If they see that your using someone else's monthly they can take it away from you. That really sucks. So be careful. I'd say 99.9% of the time you can get away with it. Another thing is they punch the monthly's based on gender. So if your a guy and your girlfriend works in NYC and has a monthly don't try to pass off her ticket as yours. I've seen people do this a bunch of times and it never works, and when they take away your ticket the first week of the month your going to owe somebody a couple hundred bucks.

Cheers
Great stuff buddy. Just to note on the bolded as the most useful. Always try and cut off the long walk at Atlantic Terminal.

On the monthly pass, if its the ones from the booth I don't think me nor any of my friends signed ours when were were commuting. Def ask around to see if you can borrow one on a weekend game (buy them a beer in return). But if it's a female and your a male you certainly will get caught. Other then that. just flash it quick and the conductor moves along.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Degeneration Rex

On the Islanders web site is the slogan, A Shift of Power. That must be the theme going forward.
Wonder if its hinting about the Rag$, one thing for sure the Barclays people have no fear going against Dolan and Madi$on $quare Garbage.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
On the Islanders web site is the slogan, A Shift of Power. That must be the theme going forward.
Wonder if its hinting about the Rag$, one thing for sure the Barclays people have no fear going against Dolan and Madi$on $quare Garbage.
Nice observation. It could also be hinting at a shift in power in the "Metropolitan Division" which is largely the old "Atlantic Division". Or the Eastern Conference. OR the whole league!

Old
09-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post

And I used to live in that area and went to school out in Patchogue, I've done that trip a million times.

Because it is the most direct route. can I go other ways? Sure but then I am dealing with more side streets and taking more time.

So, somehow it's 30 minutes to Bablyon train station which is twenty minutes closer to your starting point and 30 minutes to Uniondale, which is further and in a more congested area? It's just not possible or true, no matter how familiar you are with the drill.

Sure it's possible and true. Going to Uniondale is a straight shot down Sunrise and Southern State. Going to Babylon involves going west on Sunrise, 15 min from Sayville, and then dealing with traffic lights a two lane road and rush hour traffic (another 15 min), not to mention finding a parking spot and winding your way through all those sitting waiting to pick up in bound passengers.

Sunrise alone going west is a nightmare. Ocean parkway takes me at least 30 minutes from the Coliseum to West Islip, which is about 15-20 minutes away from Sayville still.

So unless you're speeding like a madman, it's just not possible.

Driving at 65-70, which is slow on LI roads, it's an easy 30 min.

It's so stressful sitting on a train for an hour. Catching a transfer isn't a big deal, especially when there are a thousand other people wearing jerseys for you to follow.

I suggest you figure out how to get to the Babylon train station in a quicker fashion. If you take sunrise to DPA south you can then exit on John Street and that'll take you about 3 blocks away from the train station if you head west. If your issue is with DPA at all (even though there isn't any traffic on that part of DPA), you can exit before it in West Islip and take Udall/Higbie road to John street and avoid it all together.

While I thank you for the advise, not sure I asked for it.

Oh, so now the commute isn't the issue, it's the parking!

The Mets play in the spring, summer, and fall (albeit, not in a while). They play every day of the week and that includes weekends, where there is more traffic during the summer months. And people went in '06 and '07...to make the claim that people don't go because they aren't going currently is ludicrous. And they've also hosted other events there.

Also, the Yankees have no parking. How do people manage to go?

There are parking garages at Yankee Stadium as well as numerous lots. Going somewhere for a one time event is different than being a season ticket holder.

The NFL comparison is just showing that people can and do travel long distances to go see teams they love. People from Suffolk even!

And of course there is merit to the MSG and Nets comparison, it's the same damn thing and pretty much a non issue.

Just take a second to think about what you just wrote there. If you are a season ticket holder for the NFL you get a whopping 8 home games. The NFL is an event. No one just shows up 10 min before kick-off. Apples and oranges in this debate.

It's just a non-issue. Every other major sports team has to deal with the same thing in our area, why should the Islanders be no different (especially considering the alternative was to not have a team anymore).

Every other team does not have to deal with the same thing and saying show shows your immaturity.

So it's all about you!

No hence the reason "ME" was in quotes.

Coming from Suffolk I'm nowhere near Brooklyn and I'm happy they are staying somewhere I can go see them, rather to a place that I can't. I won't cry about an extra hour on to my commute to go see them.

I am happy for you but the truth is there was really no where for them to move to. I know Wang said he had numerous offers, but we all know that's just to justify his move and appear the hero.

So it's about you again!

Guess what, it's not 1970 anymore or the early 90's. There was a way for the Coliseum to be saved and it didn't work. Complaining because the team is moving just a few miles down the road is being selfish and baby-ish, especially considering how many of these 'fans' didn't go to any games for the longest time. I'm not citing you specifically, about not going to games but rather the fan base in general.

Again, not about me, more about the long time fan. Which I do not expect you to understand.

So because you have an emotional investment, the team shouldn't be allowed to change location to a nicer arena, a more accessible area for the masses, a more profitable area, and a more identifiable area?

As I said, if they were moving to an arena made for their sport, this is much less an issue. One can also make the argument that it is really not a nicer area.

I personally don't view moving close to the Garden as a big deal. I'm under the impression that many of their fans are on the Island already. But it's certainly could be dumb in the long run (time will tell).

While I disagree with you about the relocation and travel dilemma, I do agree with the unhappiness that comes from an arena not fit for hockey. I'm hopeful that renovations will be made to make it more fitting. If that doesn't happen, then I will gripe, but not before.

It's saddening and upsetting that the team will no longer be where it was, but I just view everything from the perspective that we're lucky the team is even staying nearby. Losing the team altogether would have been much more devastating.
Going to guess you are somewhere in your mid to late 20's. If so, you don't have the responsibility of a family and other obligations that come with maturity. If I were in my 20's, single with no kids I would probably agree that going to Brooklyn is not a big deal. Throw in a family and kids, have you even travelled with kids, and all that comes with it getting to Brooklyn is a huge hassle.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:36 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Work til five. Rush hour traffic, go home to your family, get there by 5:45. Everyone ready....drive to the station. Get there by 6:15 if you don't eat. Take the train from Deer Park to....OH! You can't....the last train that will get you there on time is the 5:03 PM connecting at Jamaica arriving at 6:06.....but if they expand the schedule for the Islanders, an NHL team that's been so amazing the MTA might spend millions on more trains, you might get there by 7:21 if it leaves by 6:15.

Likely NOT....so you have to drive from Deer Park to Huntington and leave at 6:29 to arrive after the puck drops, kids in tow and having not eaten or rested after a full day's work.

Or drive....Brooklyn isn't that far. Hour and a half in traffic at rush hour? Two hours?

Totally rational. Refusing to go through that would certainly be whining.

"Boss, I gotta leave early to get to the game."
LOL it really is going to be a nightmare. I commuted through Atlantic Terminal for 5 years, I've been to several Barclays Events and hang out in Brooklyn with friends. Getting home via LIRR after 8 PM is not pleasant.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:39 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
You know that the people of Nassau voted down a new arena for the Isles, right? Whatever politician ran with a platform that included that would likely lose.

There are other train stations that you can go to, as Wakawaka said, babylon isn't more than 15 minutes from the DP train station.

Also, if you're coming from the Island toward the city at that hour you're going the opposite way than most of the traffic.

People seem to make it to Queens for Mets games on time. People seem to make it to MSG for the Knicks and Rags. They make it to the Barclays center for the Nets. They make it to New Jersey for the Giants and Jets. It's really not impossible or overly difficult.

Right on!

Good, then stop crying about the commute.

I for one think the new design on the website is infinitely better than what we had previously. This is more clean and professional. I also don't think that because they aren't splashing blue and orange everywhere that it definitely means the color scheme will change. If anything I think it makes the Isles logo and jerseys that are present on the site pop so much more than they did before.

Mets games are MUCH MUCH easier to get to from Long Island. driving and parking are an actual viable option.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
stranger34

Quote:
BINGO!!! Winner winner chicken dinner.

It's all about "ME".

In almost every thread you read, those supporting the move, or trying to convince others the commute is easy, live nearby Barclay's while discrediting the longtime fans who live on Long Island. Why? Because it makes their lives easier while at the same time creating issues for those who don't.

The other part of this entire issue surrounding the move is that if your old enough to have seen the dynasty teams or even the crappy teams of the 70's or early 90's, there is this feeling of "these are my guys and this is my team". Back in the day many of the players lived locally and because you saw them in the deli or a restaurant there was a connection. For many that feeling is being taken away and as an emotional investment it's hard for some to swallow.

While I am old enough to have seen Parise, Drouin, Lewis, Goring, the Sutters, MacMillen, St Laurent, Turgeon, Thomas, Flatley, Ferrero, Hogue and many others here only know as names on a roster, the emotional investment is not there for you.

The second part of this entire thing is that while I understand the need to move, being shoe horned into an arena not made for the sport, in the back yard of their biggest rival is dumb and foolish. I believe that as time moves forward this fact will eventually dawn on people as they go and miss 1/4 quarter of the action because they just plain cannot see it due to arena configuration and put up with far more Ranger fans then they do now. Had a move been made to a new arena, built for hockey in a location closer to or more associated with the past of the team, I think the those not supporting would be much quieter.

Now do I expect many here who only know this team over the past ten years to understand all of this, no I don't. Why? Because sports is different now then it used to be. Money is all that matters and if you grew up in that environment then this move is no big deal. I do feel bad for you though as you missed a great time to be in love with sports.
Great post. There is definitely an element there. I grew up in Garden City and taught tennis to Adrian Aucoin and Dean Chynoweth's children. I heard stories about Janne Ninnimaas all nighter house parties from friends. I had a friend who would go to parties with Asham. The players were a part of the community

Old
09-05-2013, 08:44 AM
li7039

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Great stuff buddy. Just to note on the bolded as the most useful. Always try and cut off the long walk at Atlantic Terminal.

On the monthly pass, if its the ones from the booth I don't think me nor any of my friends signed ours when were were commuting. Def ask around to see if you can borrow one on a weekend game (buy them a beer in return). But if it's a female and your a male you certainly will get caught. Other then that. just flash it quick and the conductor moves along.
I alway's put mine in the clear spot in my wallet that's for my drivers license. They just glance real quick to see the M punch and walk right on by.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:48 AM
stranger34

Quote:
99.9% of the Brooklyn Bound trains are going to leave from track 3 and 99% of the Brooklyn connections arrive on track 2. If your coming in on an Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, or Montauk branch train there's a good chance you'll come in on track one and have to hike up the steps and over to 3 for the BK train but there's nothing to worry about. The only complaint I can think of about the train is the cost. Obviously driving to NVMC with a family of 4 is a quarter of the price of taking the train. Here's a tip for the fans who are going to be commuting to games via the LIRR. Unless you work in the city and have a zone 1 to wherever you live monthly ( or have kids who qualify for the free ride or child ticket) buy an off peak 10 trip ticket. It's something like 10% cheaper than 5 one way tickets, and you can share it among friends. There also good for 6 months. I'm a Rangers season ticket holder and commute from Babylon to MSG. The ticket is $91.50 from zone 9 vs $21.50 per game or $107.50 over 5 games. I don't know how many games some of you guys attend each year but the ten trip method saves me roughly $131.20 over the course of the season.

The railroad gets a lot of flack for poor service but at the end of the day its really not that bad. You may have a problem once or twice over the course of 50 or so games in Brooklyn. I know for me at Babylon there is a train every few minutes to NYC from 4PM on. Typically I take the 4:06, 4:35, or 5:13 trains depending on what time the game starts. All 3 of those trains have Brooklyn connections as well. I don't know much about return service but there was a number of times when the Rangers and Nets played at home on the same day and my train was held in Jamaica for the Barclay's shuttle train.

Give the train a shot on September 21st and see how it goes. If you really want to avoid transferring at Jamaica drive yourself to a Hempstead, or Far Rock away branch station and hop on the train there. Those are the ones that go right to Brooklyn 100% of the time just about on weekends. Round up your buddies, have em bring cash, get yourself a ten trip ticket, and make your way to whatever line is closest to you. The Babylon, Ronkonkoma, and Huntington lines are going to have the most frequent service to Jamaica and you shouldn't have much more than a 5 minute at most wait for the Brooklyn train. 90% of the time its going to be waiting for you across the platform or pulling in right as you pull in.

Good luck everyone who chooses to adopt the train method. Hopefully this leads to a couple of good hockey discussions on the way to and from games and not drunken brawls between fan bases when the two teams play at home on the same night.

Cheers
I commuted on the LIRR for years. I cancelled my monthly last year and have never looked back. Now I drive to Citi Field park, there and take the 7 Train to Manhattan. Consider that my ringing endorsement of the LIRR.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:06 AM
SouthShore91

strange hits the nail on the head on all accounts. Community, attachment to the team being "our" team and actually how bad the commute going to BK is going to be compared to driving to NVMC. Perfect posts.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:24 AM
lorwood

Anybody think they will push the games back to 7:30? I think it would be a smart move on their part.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:35 AM
19inarow

looking for some help, posted this on the other brooklyn thread .. and this isnt to try to show how easy or hard it will be either way!

Since you guys are so helpful, maybe someone can hook me up. Live in Northport, get home from work local 5:20-5:30 ish. How do I get myself and the other 3 in my family to Barclays in time, like we have been doing every game for the last 7 years? Would love to keep my season tix going forward since my old man and me have had them in one form or another since the late 70's. TIA

Old
09-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartface View Post

I don't understand why you can't drive to Brooklyn if you want to? I've been doing it for years... I hope I wasn't breaking any laws by doing so If you don't want to drive in the city you could always drive to Jamaica and take the train from there if you don't like it though. Or you could drive to any station on the Babylon line(rockville centre, merrick, lynbrook, valley stream, etc.) and take the train from there. There are several that leave after 5:00 and will still get you there in time for puck drop. Most people probably pass several of those stations on the way to NVMC anyway. But as i said before; you can still drive. No one is stopping you.

How does adding another transit option make anything more difficult for you? You're still perfectly capable of driving. So why don't you drive? No one is stopping you from driving. If you refuse to take the train you can always drive. I also want to point out how hypocritical it is of you to to criticize people who support the move to the Barclay's as being selfish then listing several of your personal experiences and "emotional investments" as reasons for the move to be a bad thing for all islander fans. I'd also like to hear your solution to "being shoe horned into an arena". Keep in mind that your alternative has to be ready by 2015, can't be NVMC or the Barclay's, has to be closer than the Barclays and must be perfect for hockey(and closer to what? Your house?). I'd really like to know how they were supposed to find/purchase the land, build the stadium, and work through all the bureaucratic red tape in such a short amount of time.

To close i'd just like to say that Rangers fans out east have been making it to MSG SINCE THE 1930'S. To say that it can't be done in 2013 is just ridiculous.

Exactly.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Great post. There is definitely an element there. I grew up in Garden City and taught tennis to Adrian Aucoin and Dean Chynoweth's children. I heard stories about Janne Ninnimaas all nighter house parties from friends. I had a friend who would go to parties with Asham. The players were a part of the community
You mean the "community" that mostly couldn't care less about NYI and didn't support their efforts to stay with a new arena. When the Sacramento Kings were on the verge of moving their community fought to keep them. Your community rolled over and died and went out with a whimper even pushing NYI out.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

Cheers
Thanks for that. Usefull stuff. We tend to bash NYR here but one thing I've always admired is your fans loyalty and support win or lose and how they travel not always easy distances to see them play.

As opposed to the constant spoiled whining on display here for same.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:21 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
You mean the "community" that mostly couldn't care less about NYI and didn't support their efforts to stay with a new arena. When the Sacramento Kings were on the verge of moving their community fought to keep them. Your community rolled over and died and went out with a whimper even pushing NYI out.
That is a gross oversimplification. There were active supporters, active detractors and uninterested parties like there is for any referendum item.

While i was disappointed in the outcome of the vote, my opinion is that there should never have been a vote. In hindsight I believe the vote was a way for the responsible power players to wash their hands of the debacle and lay it on the doorstep of the under informed citizenry. In that regard you appear to have taken the bait hook line and sinker by blaming the community.

Referendums for public arena/stadium funding, aside from a select few instances, are destined to fail from jump street.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
That is a gross oversimplification. There were active supporters, active detractors and uninterested parties like there is for any referendum item.

While i was disappointed in the outcome of the vote, my opinion is that there should never have been a vote. In hindsight I believe the vote was a way for the responsible power players to wash their hands of the debacle and lay it on the doorstep of the under informed citizenry. In that regard you appear to have taken the bait hook line and sinker by blaming the community.

Referendums for public arena/stadium funding, aside from a select few instances, are destined to fail from jump street.
It was made to fail by asking the most overtaxed people in a horrid economy to pay more taxes.....and this could ALL have been avoided if Wang stepped up and assured people he would cover cost overruns - something Ratner did and his bid flew in comparison.

Blame the people of Nassau...blame the pols....but let's ignore the eight hundred pound pink gorilla in the room. The referendum had ONE glaring hole - covering the costs the first year or two while construction was underway.

Wang, being the loathsome cheap SOB he is {and crook} refused to cover one to two years of operational costs, instead telling Joe/Jill tax-serf "tey might have to cover that."

So new taxes? OF COURSE it failed. And I still don't blame Nassau residents. The government has been doing the Deliverance overture to them forever!

Old
09-05-2013, 12:57 PM
eastonhockey22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy

Because it is the most direct route. can I go other ways? Sure but then I am dealing with more side streets and taking more time.
For anyone reading this DPA is not the most direct route to the Babylon train station. 231 to montauk highway is about the same exact distance but only has 2 stop lights and a speed limit of 55mph as opposed to well over a dozen stop lights on DPA and a speed limit of 30mhp that also goes through a school zone. DPA is actually a side street; it runs parallel to 231 through a residential area and takes at least twice as long. So I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

You also have to drive north on 231 for a few miles, if you're coming from the ocean parkway or sunrise, in order to drive south down DPA just to get back to where you started. The southern states exit also let's you off right where DPA and 231 split(they turn into the same road as you go north) so you have the option of taking either. But again, 231 is a quicker option.

But seriously dude. Your excuses as to why the move is bad are getting so ridiculous that you have to lie about Long Island infrastructure that's be around for decades? What if an islander fan came to this board looking for directions, saw your misinformation, and got discouraged and decided not to go because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet? How's that good for anyone? Shame on you, man.

Source: I live about 500 feet from the area in question.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
MJF

Just wondering, are there any current full season subscribers who are participating in this discussion?

Old
09-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartface View Post
For anyone reading this DPA is not the most direct route to the Babylon train station. 231 to montauk highway is about the same exact distance but only has 2 stop lights and a speed limit of 55mph as opposed to well over a dozen stop lights on DPA and a speed limit of 30mhp that also goes through a school zone. DPA is actually a side street; it runs parallel to 231 through a residential area and takes at least twice as long. So I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

You also have to drive north on 231 for a few miles, if you're coming from the ocean parkway or sunrise, in order to drive south down DPA just to get back to where you started. The southern states exit also let's you off right where DPA and 231 split(they turn into the same road as you go north) so you have the option of taking either. But again, 231 is a quicker option.

But seriously dude. Your excuses as to why the move is bad are getting so ridiculous that you have to lie about Long Island infrastructure that's be around for decades? What if an islander fan came to this board looking for directions, saw your misinformation, and got discouraged and decided not to go because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet? How's that good for anyone? Shame on you, man.

Source: I live about 500 feet from the area in question.
Umm, you do realize that the Babylon LIRR station is South of Sunrise Highway right? Assuming you do, why would you go North a few miles on 231 off Sunrise as you have indicated above? If memory serves, coming off Montauk on to 231, you have to go all the way back to Sunrise just to be able to go South on 231 and once South you have to work your way West and cross DPA anyway. Wouldn't it be just easier to take DPA to begin with?

At the end of the day it's the same time wise.

As for your shaming me, I may never recover. This is a healthy debate about the ease, or lack there of, of getting into Brooklyn to see a game. I highly doubt an Islander fan is coming on here looking for directions, finds his thread, sifts thru pages and pages of talk to find, what you perceive as, my bad directions. Of course I do know the station is South of Sunrise, but I'm just sayin'.

No one is looking to win an internet argument and definitely not this one as it is unwinnable. That said, there is nothing wrong with refuting the claim that getting to Brooklyn is as easy as some may think.

Oh as for my excuses why the move is bad, I don't make excuses I just point out facts and prefer to stay in reality. Now I understand that some people have issues with facts and realities, but that's a discussion for another day and time.

Last edited by Isles Fan: 09-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Closed Thread