HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 11:58 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

vCash: 500

Here's a look at the view from the seats in the dead zone.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Well personally I like to vent so that's partly what I'm doing. I'd like to further bash wang for being so short-sighted when, after years of getting the runaround from Nassau politicians, trying to get the Lighthouse, refused to even speak with Ratner when there was time to change the Barclays into a two-sport arena.

However the bigger picture here is that people can move mountains, and if enough of us are dissatisfied with the Barclays setup then they would have to listen. I mean imagine if someone created a website stating how poor it is that there aren't 360-degree seats and rallied people not to spend money on tickets until it was fixed. Or what if people brought signs to games or made cheers making fun of the "dead" area during games.

If enough of that was done and the media picked up on it, it could be enough of an embarrassment that would incite change. However as it is right now the Islanders are going to make about 30-35 million more a season without changing a thing to Barclays...So what motivation does Ratner/Yormark, and Company have to change anything? They don't unless we state our opinion loudly and probably with our wallets.

I personally don't want to have playoff games where lots of seats aren't sold which is embarrassing enough, but also the arena won't be as loud because of it.
From looking at your other posts, I'm actually in agreement with you for the most part. I too despise Wang and am pro-Brooklyn. I also wish Wang showed more foresight by working to bring the Isles to Brooklyn earlier which would have eliminated the horseshoe setup we have now. I guess the difference is, I think the benefits of being in Brooklyn (and staying in NY in general) far outweigh whatever issues I have with the building. And as strange as the setup may look, I don't really care as long as the view from my seats are fine.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:10 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post

Here's a look at the view from the seats in the dead zone.
Possible solutions for those sections (assuming Google Glass is not perfected before 2015):

OR

Old
09-12-2013, 12:11 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
One could argue that based on the configuration the Barclays cannot do NHL hockey

Old
09-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Guess what? I'm not crazy about the set-up either. I don't think a single person is whether they're pro-Brooklyn or not. But tell me, what's the alternative now? Do you honestly think the Isles have any chance of moving back to Nassau? If not, then what's the use of *****ing about something that can't be changed?
Reposting this just as something for you to think about:

So a few Nassau politicians say the County is looking at ways to keep the NYI. Interesting this comes up after the announced move but where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

What makes this entire thing most interesting to me is that Ratner has a hand in both arenas, a huge fact that could have an impact on what happens moving forward. Ratner has also stated that renovations, to a brand new building, will have to be done to make Barclay's a somewhat suitable home for NYI and I think it is fair to say the Barclay's people will not really know what is required until after the preseason game. There has been talk of the need for more seating as well as a locker room for the Isles. All of which I would imagine are not cheap to do.

There is design, planning, permits, NYC approval (which I am sure is not only a headache but a very expensive one at that), actual construction, inconveniencing the Nets, and the cost which will run into the millions on a brand new building that he has already spent hundreds of millions on. Not to mention the other events they cannot use the arena for during construction which equals lost revenue which adds to the cost.

I can see where Ratner may not want to deal with that headache. Instead he goes to Wang explains the dilemma and floats the idea of NVMC to him. As the work on a new Coliseum has not begun, it is far cheaper to alter those plans back to a 16,000 or so seat arena because they have not begun building yet. They play in Brooklyn as a temporary home for a few years while Coliseum is built and then go back.

Wang and Ratner come out a winners either way. They both make a ton of money, Wang and/or Ratner don't have to pay to get out of the Barclay's lease because Ratner owns both. Wang inflates his ego even more by really keeping the NYI in NY and on Long Island, it is really the perfect scenario.

Now you can flame me and tell me I'm far fetched, but take the emotion out of it and it makes sense.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:12 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
False. As long as ice machine works NHL can work.

Granted not as well as other arenas.

Wow they hung Isles banners in Barclays even for a preseason game. Nice touch.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
So again, moving into a new arena in which you cannot sell 1/4 of it.

Someone please explain the business sense that makes......

Old
09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
doublechili

Seriously though, if people are paying $800 for NHL SEASON TICKETS at NVMC ($20 a game) with a full view (which is ridiculous), how about making those limited view seats $800 a season? At least there's an excuse for charging the same price as Standing Room Only baseball tickets in that case.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Possible solutions for those sections (assuming Google Glass is not perfected before 2015):

OR

YOU FOUND ONE! I've been trying to remember the name of that stupid contraption to post forever! NICE!
golf finder////viewer/////*scope//////gave up.

"CANARSIE CONTACTS"

Old
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
YOU FOUND ONE! I've been trying to remember the name of that stupid contraption to post forever! NICE!

"CANARSIE CONTACTS"
Think they come free to a STH?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:19 PM
The Korean*

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles fan View Post
so again, moving into a new arena in which you cannot sell 1/4 of it.

because it was this or quebec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is so ****ing hard to understand!

Ugh. One thing to not be happy about the situation another thing to question WHY Isles moved to Brooklyn.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
False. As long as ice machine works NHL can work.

Granted not as well as other arenas.

Wow they hung Isles banners in Barclays even for a preseason game. Nice touch.
False? Winnipeg moved because they were too small an arena. They had a fanbase. Isles have a fanbase outside of the Ranger territory they are firmly engrained in. They're almost in the Garden while the epicenter of Isles fan population is somewhere around Farmingdale.

Oh, but hey....they have an ice machine! Keep those Pepsi's cold.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

More high-end luxury boxes, more expensive seats, more marketing opportunity, etc.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
because it was this or quebec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is so ****ing hard to understand!

Ugh. One thing to not be happy about the situation another thing to question WHY Isles moved to Brooklyn.
They were never going to Quebec for the simple reason that while Quebec was ******* themselves for a team, they had the same arena situation the Isles did.

They have since broken ground on a new arena, but Betteman wasn't going to let the Isles move.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
More high-end luxury boxes, more expensive seats, more marketing opportunity, etc.
And that offsets not being able to sell 1/4 of the arena???

In truth, none of that means anything if they don't win and/or do not get the huge wave of new fans they are expecting.

But I guess you can convince anyone of anything with a little creative math.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Think they come free to a STH?
The ones that BOBBLE do.....Wang likes them. They're cute. B**ch to see out of, but hey! Good Gimmick!

Old
09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Well personally I like to vent so that's partly what I'm doing. I'd like to further bash wang for being so short-sighted when, after years of getting the runaround from Nassau politicians, trying to get the Lighthouse, refused to even speak with Ratner when there was time to change the Barclays into a two-sport arena.

However the bigger picture here is that people can move mountains, and if enough of us are dissatisfied with the Barclays setup then they would have to listen. I mean imagine if someone created a website stating how poor it is that there aren't 360-degree seats and rallied people not to spend money on tickets until it was fixed. Or what if people brought signs to games or made cheers making fun of the "dead" area during games.

If enough of that was done and the media picked up on it, it could be enough of an embarrassment that would incite change. However as it is right now the Islanders are going to make about 30-35 million more a season without changing a thing to Barclays...So what motivation does Ratner/Yormark, and Company have to change anything? They don't unless we state our opinion loudly and probably with our wallets.

I personally don't want to have playoff games where lots of seats aren't sold which is embarrassing enough, but also the arena won't be as loud because of it.
Same reason any rich person still goes to work...Because they can make more. Why does Warren Buffet still check the stock market? Why did Steve Jobs return to Apple. If there is room for more than more it is!

What kind of American are you anyway?

They have made it very public and very plain that alterations including the addition of non obstructed view seats, bringing the total of non obstructed view seats to 15K, will be done before 2015. The Islanders are moving there nothing is going to change that so why not hope that they can make some significant improvements?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:32 PM
doublechili

Quote:

"CANARSIE CONTACTS"
I do what I can. Even if we are on different sides on this particular issue, we're still on the same team. And why let principles stand in the way of a good gag?

Like, the Brooklyn Veterans Memorial Canuseum.

Seriously though, IMO they'll resolve these issues to the point where it's pretty good by 2015, hence my ability to joke about it now.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:33 PM
The Korean*

Quote:
They were never going to Quebec for the simple reason that while Quebec was ******* themselves for a team, they had the same arena situation the Isles did.

They have since broken ground on a new arena, but Betteman wasn't going to let the Isles move.
Quebec was A LOT closer to taking care of the arena situation than Nassau ever was. So dont pretend it wasnt gonna happen. NHL doesnt give a hoot about who moves unless its an original 6 team.
Quote:
False? Winnipeg moved because they were too small an arena. They had a fanbase. Isles have a fanbase outside of the Ranger territory they are firmly engrained in. They're almost in the Garden while the epicenter of Isles fan population is somewhere around Farmingdale.

Oh, but hey....they have an ice machine! Keep those Pepsi's cold.
Barclays arent a small arena, they have at least 15000 for NHL, good enough for the league. League doesnt care its horse shoe or not.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Isles Fan

[QUOTE=krnboy1009;71042091]Quebec was A LOT closer to taking care of the arena situation than Nassau ever was. So dont pretend it wasnt gonna happen. NHL doesnt give a hoot about who moves unless its an original 6 team.

Their arena vote failed more than once before it finally got passed and they only broke ground a few months ago. A little further along...maybe. Far from a lot.

Besides, the NHL has other team issues; see Phoenix, Florida etc..., that would have to be dealt with long before the Isles and one of them would have gone to Quebec long before NYI.

Wang had no where to go and he knew it.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
The Korean*

Quote:
Quebec was A LOT closer to taking care of the arena situation than Nassau ever was. So dont pretend it wasnt gonna happen. NHL doesnt give a hoot about who moves unless its an original 6 team.

Their arena vote failed more than once before it finally got passed and they only broke ground a few months ago. A little further along...maybe. Far from a lot.

Besides, the NHL has other team issues; see Phoenix, Florida etc..., that would have to be dealt with long before the Isles and one of them would have gone to Quebec long before NYI.

Wang had no where to go and he knew it.
Isles were ONE of those issues before they agreed to move to Brooklyn.

Florida isnt moving, stop mentioning Panthers already. Coyotes were going to Portland if they moved.

Old
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Same reason any rich person still goes to work...Because they can make more. Why does Warren Buffet still check the stock market? Why did Steve Jobs return to Apple. If there is room for more than more it is!

What kind of American are you anyway?

They have made it very public and very plain that alterations including the addition of non obstructed view seats, bringing the total of non obstructed view seats to 15K, will be done before 2015. The Islanders are moving there nothing is going to change that so why not hope that they can make some significant improvements?
The "significant improvement" we need is a complete tear down of the east wall of Barclays and rebuilding it about 60 feet further out. I'll let OlTime give his opinion, but I'm guessing it would be about 200 million to do, not to mention take 1-2 years in an arena that has events every week until we move there. This just after they spent 1 billion on the arena as it stands.

Please tell me who is approving that project and more importantly...Who's paying for it?

At this point, here are the REALISTIC options for the Islanders:
  1. Move to Barclays as is until 2040
  2. Move to Barclays until 2040 with minor improvements to seating (most likely option)
  3. Move to Barclays, but then move back 2-3 years later after Ratner somewhat renovates the Coliseum

That's about it, and they're all far from ideal options. However if you look back just 5 years ago these were the possible options for keeping the Islanders in NYC:
  1. Wang compromise on the Lighthouse project and get a completely renovated NVMC
  2. Wang/Mangano create an air-tight referendum to vote on (not the swiss cheese one they did) so that a completely new arena could have been built
  3. Wang speak with Ratner & Co about making Barclay's a legit TWO-SPORT arena
  4. Wang speak with Queens to see if building a new arena near Willets Point/Citi Field was a possibility.

Believe me, I am very aware of Nassau politicians role in the first two above and none of them get a pass from me, but in terms of the actions that wang could have taken to avoid the situation we're in now, he whiffed BIG time. So in addition to the bone-headed moves he's made in our front office/on ice, my frustration with him is at an all time high. I just want him gone gone gone. Why couldn't we relocate wang to Quebec years ago. That would have been the best possible scenario.

Old
Strummergas
Regular User

Quote:

In truth, none of that means anything if they don't win and/or do not get the huge wave of new fans they are expecting.

According to the latest from Yormark, Barclays will only be 357 seats short of what the Coliseum can hold at capacity even with the blocked off seats.

http://islanderspointblank.com/arena...00-for-hockey/

So again, what's really the cause of the outrage over the setup of the building for hockey? The concept of blocked off seats? The aesthetic of the arena? Or just the fact that some people will be inconvenienced by the move?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
xECK29x

~400 total seats are effected, out of 15k+ that is very little.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:

That's not 1/4 of the arena.

And as someone else explained, the ticket prices can go up, more suites, more advertisements, etc. It's really not hard to comprehend. Also, they are going to make renovations so stop complaining.

Quote:
It's still not a 1/4 of the arena. And even if it was, yes, yes it would offset that.

Quote:

That's true even if you put a new arena in Nassau. None of these die hard fans went to games anyway, so they'd still experience an increase in revenue by being in Brooklyn on a losing season due to better marketing opportunities.

Closed Thread