HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Don't always have time to walk to the train station, hop on a train to Penn Station, and hop on another train to Barclays.

If you get off work at 5-6 and the Islanders game starts at 7, a quick drive down the L.I.E. to the game might be more appealing than taking the train every single time. Nevermind the LIRR prices being crazy expensive, considering a round trip to and from the city costs about $20, which you'd pay for parking anyway.

Stuff about there being good parking lots 10 minutes away or needing a shuttle bus just kinda prove my point about the parking situation being bad.
Well I also think the more you do it, the easier it gets. It might suck to drive around looking for a parking lot, but once you get the routine down I don't think it'll be bad.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
HumphreyBrogart

Quote:
Don't always have time to walk to the train station, hop on a train to Penn Station, and hop on another train to Barclays.

If you get off work at 5-6 and the Islanders game starts at 7, a quick drive down the L.I.E. to the game might be more appealing than taking the train every single time. Nevermind the LIRR prices being crazy expensive, considering a round trip to and from the city costs about $20, which you'd pay for parking anyway.

Stuff about there being good parking lots 10 minutes away or needing a shuttle bus just kinda prove my point about the parking situation being bad.
Except depending on where you are coming from, it's much faster to transfer at Jamaica and take the train from there directly to Barclays. It's maybe a 10-15 minute ride from Jamaica direct as opposed to 30-45 minutes to go to Penn and then hop on a subway.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumphreyBrogart View Post
Except depending on where you are coming from, it's much faster to transfer at Jamaica and take the train from there directly to Barclays. It's maybe a 10-15 minute ride from Jamaica direct as opposed to 30-45 minutes to go to Penn and then hop on a subway.
Yeah, you most certainly do not go to Penn.

If anything, drive to Jamaica and hop on one of the game night trains to Atlantic Terminal. Barclays Center is literally across the street once you get there. 15 mins from Jamaica.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:18 AM
MJF

Quote:

You must use the Port Washington line, the only line that doesn't go through Jamaica.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Well I also think the more you do it, the easier it gets. It might suck to drive around looking for a parking lot, but once you get the routine down I don't think it'll be bad.
Parking is about timing in Brooklyn. A whole bunch of cars move at around 5:45 to 6pm. If you miss the change, you're stuck going in circles, I don't care how much "better" you get at it. Sure, you locate the school zones where things open up at 7pm, etc. But you won't be the only foo waiting for one of those.

Timing systems like that can 'work' if you can be in the area at a predictable time. It's pretty easy to do this for Mets games, for example.

But traffic on the BQE is MUCH worse than on the GC or 495 near Citifield. It's also less predictable.

Honestly, if I lived in LI or Queens, I'd consider driving to the Court Square Area as it clears out around 6pm, and take the G the rest of the way.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
Why would you drive when the LIRR literally stops right there? One of the biggest drawbacks of NVMC is there's no mass transit option. Barclays has the LIRR plus a number of Subway lines. Hop the train and bring a few beers. done.
This has been beaten to death.. Brooklyn will mean a shift in the fanbase attending games and the LIRR is not a great option for most fans coming from LI unless it is a one off situation where time is not really an issue. Just the truth of it, no whining or complaining..

Going to games, my ride is typical of many long islanders, I for one, will need to catch a train coming to it 2 hours and 15 minutes before game time since it is the last one that gets there before a 7:10 start. And no it is not practical to add trains to all 9 lines going in for games (maybe they can add one or two to central locations as an alternative) .Going home they plan to add trains to the tune of 1 per 15 minutes (there are very few trains leaving atl ave at that hour normally) .. if only 4,000 fans plan to board lirr trains to jamaica and beyond after the games, people will need to wait as much as 45 mins to an hour to board trains. .. don't forget that round trip can be $15-$20 per person off peak ..trains packed full of people with even a few who have had a few too many is not always the most pleasant trip, especially if it is family or on a weeknight.. Being a former Knick season ticket holder i experienced this first hand. it only takes one jerk to disrupt a whole train car. This is why the LIRR is not a great option to go to games for many of us, since it may be after midnight getting home from a game on a work or school night. so my guess is there will be a small number of fans who attend each game maybe a few thousand who head back on the LIRR regularly.

Mass transit at the NVMC is only inconvenient for those coming from the city.. There are over 250M private passenger vehicles in the US, very few people in Nassau, Suffolk, and even Queens go without some access to a car.

The impact of not having the ability to drive will impact more people than than the ability to not have public transportation has.. The fan base will need to be much more New York city centric for barkleys to work, I don't think too many would disagree with that point.. there are many pro sports teams that dont rely on public transportation and very few , if any that rely solely on it (there is tons of parking garages around the garden and in the theater district .. if you want to drive to the garden it is an option, although personally i prefer the LIRR where i have a huge choice assortment of trains unlike the much smaller and less utilized atlantic terminal.)

Last edited by 19 in a row: 07-17-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old
07-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Interesting article about the Nets and Isles concerning Russian fans...

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/7/13/4...r-russian-fans

Uh oh for Dina. Bunk may need a new avatar.
Gong after the Russian market with just one Russian on the team? Good luck with that one.

the most interesting part of the article is:

Yormark said he and Wang planned to keep Islanders’ name and colors (which are the official colors of Nassau County). But he said they would seek new fans, including ethnic Russians and others who live in New York and may be hockey fans. The Islanders will receive a share of the revenue generated by suites used for hockey games.

So can we now bury that discussion for good?

Old
07-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
This has been beaten to death.. Brooklyn will mean a shift in the fanbase attending games and the LIRR is not a great option for most fans coming from LI unless it is a one off situation where time is not really an issue. Just the truth of it, no whining or complaining..

Going to games, my ride is typical of many long islanders, I for one, will need to catch a train coming to it 2 hours and 15 minutes before game time since it is the last one that gets there before a 7:10 start. And no it is not practical to add trains to all 9 lines going in for games (maybe they can add one or two to central locations as an alternative) .Going home they plan to add trains to the tune of 1 per 15 minutes (there are very few trains leaving atl ave at that hour normally) .. if only 4,000 fans plan to board lirr trains to jamaica and beyond after the games, people will need to wait as much as 45 mins to an hour to board trains. .. don't forget that round trip can be $15-$20 per person off peak ..trains packed full of people with even a few who have had a few too many is not always the most pleasant trip, especially if it is family or on a weeknight.. Being a former Knick season ticket holder i experienced this first hand. it only takes one jerk to disrupt a whole train car. This is why the LIRR is not a great option to go to games for many of us, since it may be after midnight getting home from a game on a work or school night. so my guess is there will be a small number of fans who attend each game maybe a few thousand who head back on the LIRR regularly.

Mass transit at the NVMC is only inconvenient for those coming from the city.. There are over 250M private passenger vehicles in the US, very few people in Nassau, Suffolk, and even Queens go without some access to a car.

The impact of not having the ability to drive will impact more people than than the ability to not have public transportation has.. The fan base will need to be much more New York city centric for barkleys to work, I don't think too many would disagree with that point.. there are many pro sports teams that dont rely on public transportation and very few , if any that rely solely on it (there is tons of parking garages around the garden and in the theater district .. if you want to drive to the garden it is an option, although personally i prefer the LIRR where i have a huge choice assortment of trains unlike the much smaller and less utilized atlantic terminal.)
I think there will be some growing pains for the Isles fan base. Perhaps up to 5 years.

At the end of 5 years post Brooklyn move, there likely will be a huge change in Isles fan base.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:

Written as if the LIRR or cars are the only option. Here are two options:

From the North Shore: Park in the Court Square Area, Take the G.

From the South Shore Area: Park somewhere off the Belt, take one of the myriad trains up (I'd use the Q).

Old
07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
12Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I think there will be some growing pains for the Isles fan base. Perhaps up to 5 years.

At the end of 5 years post Brooklyn move, there likely will be a huge change in Isles fan base.
Yup, I know myself and a lot of people who will be tv only fans. Yormark and crew better have some great pr dept and sell hockey to non-hockey fans for this to work.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:31 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Written as if the LIRR or cars are the only option. Here are two options:

From the North Shore: Park in the Court Square Area, Take the G.

From the South Shore Area: Park somewhere off the Belt, take one of the myriad trains up (I'd use the Q).

yes as i said it will be possible but not convenient (or feasible on a regular basis).. so one of the suggestions is to drive on the SSP/Belt during rush hour (yes there is tons of westbound traffic and jams as well if you have ever done it between 5-6:30.) then get off the highway somewhere in brooklyn after JFK in a neighborhood unfamiliar to most of us, find some random spot and get on mass transit? suddenly LIRR to Westbury and then a cab to NVMC sounds convenient... I don't see how someone who works a regular job can or would want to deal with those timing logistics on a regular basis after a day of work no matter how much they love this team, and imagine doing it in the dead of winter when conditions are not optimal...

so as for me, and I believe most Nassau/Suffolk season/package holders that have addressed this have said similar, it is simple, the fan base that attends games will have to be more NYC centric, which is not a bad thing for those who have asserted that there will be a fan base their plus their anticipated additional revenue streams...

we attend games by choice, and I believe that being a fan is something personal that no one should dictate to another.. for example, I am a huge met fan but can only get to a handful of games a year due to logistics of when I get home and traffic..My situation is not unusual and is similar to many who work and are lucky enough to be able to afford going to sporting events Going to Barkley's will be even less convenient for me than citifield where I can leave my house at the time i wish with no train schedules, to the point where it is not feasible at all to go to barkleys on a regular basis, plain and simple..i will attend a handful of preplanned games and watch the rest on tv.. of course each person will make their own choice..

obviously i am passionate(but not malicious) on this issue but have beat it to death so will try to refrain from further responses at this time.. I just don't get how people can tell me it is convenient for most of those from Nassau/suffolk that currently attend frequently when those of us who would have to do it know it is not.

Last edited by 19 in a row: 07-18-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old
07-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
yes as i said it will be possible but not convenient (or feasible on a regular basis).. so one of the suggestions is to drive on the SSP/Belt during rush hour (yes there is tons of westbound traffic and jams as well if you have ever done it between 5-6:30.)
I've done it. In fact, the traffic everywhere on Long Island is part of the reason I don't live there.

Quote:
then get off the highway somewhere in brooklyn after JFK in a neighborhood unfamiliar to most of us, find some random spot and get on mass transit?
If the Q-corridor is scary, then I believe I've underestimated the fear of Long Islanders. The scariest thing about the Q-corridor is LI'ers saying to themselves "Holy ****, why did my grandparents ever leave Brooklyn?"

Quote:
suddenly LIRR to Westbury and then a cab to NVMC sounds convenient... I don't see how someone who works a regular job can or would want to deal with those timing logistics on a regular basis after a day of work no matter how much they love this team, and imagine doing it in the dead of winter when conditions are not optimal...
For those of us with families, I've never understood season tickets, period. But whatever.

Quote:
we attend games by choice, and I believe that being a fan is something personal that no one should dictate to another.. for example, I am a huge met fan but can only get to a handful of games a year due to logistics of when I get home and traffic..My situation is not unusual and is similar to many who work and are lucky enough to be able to afford going to sporting events Going to Barkley's will be even less convenient for me than citifield where I can leave my house at the time i wish with no train schedules, to the point where it is not feasible at all to go to barkleys on a regular basis, plain and simple..i will attend a handful of preplanned games and watch the rest on tv.. of course each person will make their own choice..
Of course it's everyone's choice. But I also find the fear of Brooklyn somewhat amusing. There are ways of doing things that are actually not inconvenient, but mention parking in Crown Heights and taking a short jaunt on the 2 or 3, and watch people cower. It's fun.

Quote:
attend frequently when those of us who would have to do it know it is not.
Yeah, the complaints are interesting though, and worth responding to, because they often include misperceptions. I have my own complaints about NVMC, not the least of which is that it's no place for a kid.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:14 AM
MJF

Quote:
For those of us with families, I've never understood season tickets, period. But whatever.
What's not to understand? There are people, even with families, who have the money, time and desire to go to 30-plus home games a year because they enjoy seeing the team play.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
I've done it. In fact, the traffic everywhere on Long Island is part of the reason I don't live there.

If the Q-corridor is scary, then I believe I've underestimated the fear of Long Islanders. The scariest thing about the Q-corridor is LI'ers saying to themselves "Holy ****, why did my grandparents ever leave Brooklyn?"

Of course it's everyone's choice. But I also find the fear of Brooklyn somewhat amusing. There are ways of doing things that are actually not inconvenient, but mention parking in Crown Heights and taking a short jaunt on the 2 or 3, and watch people cower. It's fun.

Yeah, the complaints are interesting though, and worth responding to, because they often include misperceptions. I have my own complaints about NVMC, not the least of which is that it's no place for a kid.

So by your own admission you do not live here anymore so it is easy for you to judge apparently and tell us how we should spend our leisure time and entertainment dollar.. bottom line, I believe u have the misconceptions as I have not met one STH who says they will or can maintain them..it is only feasible if you work in ny and will go directly after.. no one said "fear", i used the words feasible and convenient.. this seems obvious to those who are actually affected by this but apparently you just want to stir the pot from outside the area.. I travel often (through atlantic ave a few times a week at least)and am very familiar with how to get around the NY metro area, your assertions don't make sense in a practical way.. bottom line, the game attending fan base has to shift, and if u r asserting anything else or going to imply that someone is a "wuss" or is not upholding their responsibility then you are missing the mark... I have given my full support to this team for many years, it is not my responsibility to buy season tix when they move.. I will root in my own way..(and don't bring up the vote, the misconceptions of those who were not in the area are multiple.. there was no way it could pass the way presented, and yes I did vote for it) l

Old
07-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

I was on both sides of the argument here.

When the Barclays news was announced, I was living on Long Island taking the LIRR from Ronkonkoma every morning into midtown for work.

I was so pumped about the move and taking the LIRR was something I was fine with. I did it everyday. 19inarow is correct when saying anyone who commutes to NYC for work needs to go to Brooklyn almost directly after work.

The biggest change in the Islanders is going to be that they no longer will be the most 'family friendly' sports team (as far as Suffolk County families). However if I was told I have to go to 10 less games a year, but my team will receive the benefit of being a big market team (more money to spend) I'd take that trade off.

Currently, I live in Astoria Queens. All I need to go is hop on the NQ with a few beers (discretely of course) and an hour later I'm there. Everyone in the NYC area now has such amazing access to the Islanders that they never had before. I went to all the playoff games this year and I can tell you that without a car, it was a ****ing pain in the ass. I would only go to 5 or 6 regular season games that way.

Moral of the story: Is the move perfect and ideal for everybody? No. Do the Pro's outweigh the Con's? Yes. And besides, there was literally no alternative.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
So by your own admission you do not live here anymore so it is easy for you to judge apparently and tell us how we should spend our leisure time and entertainment dollar..
Nope, I was trying to provide you with some options that do not involve the LIRR or parking at Barclay's.

Quote:
your assertions don't make sense in a practical way..
I live in Brooklyn, work in Queens (in bricktown, Jamaica) and am travelling around the boroughs every day. Depends on where someone lives, it can be very feasible. Other places such as Oceanside, etc., area is a PITA to get back and forth to by car to Brooklyn. Probably, by design. Other areas on the Island are much easier. The Jackie Robinson/Bushwick Ave./Eastern Parkway Route is almost always the best bet.

Quote:
bottom line, the game attending fan base has to shift, and if u r asserting anything else or going to imply that someone is a "wuss" or is not upholding their responsibility then you are missing the mark...
Nope. Just saying that if you WANT to go to games, there are options. It sounded to me as if you WANTED to, but all the options were awful. I didn't think you considered the full set of options.

Quote:
I have given my full support to this team for many years, it is not my responsibility to buy season tix when they move.. I will root in my own way..(and don't bring up the vote, the misconceptions of those who were not in the area are multiple.. there was no way it could pass the way presented, and yes I did vote for it) l
Far be it from me to tell anyone how to spend their money. Our family spends $25,000 per year on childcare and preschool. I can't afford CABLE packages, much less going to games.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:19 PM
12Dog

Yeah, the complaints are interesting though, and worth responding to, because they often include misperceptions. I have my own complaints about NVMC, not the least of which is that it's no place for a kid.[/QUOTE]

Drive to Crown Heights? I used to work in Crown Heights, first, getting there while in Brooklyn isn't convenient forget from the island. Parking there? That's pretty funny. Good luck with that.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Interesting article about the Nets and Isles concerning Russian fans...

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/7/13/4...r-russian-fans

Uh oh for Dina. Bunk may need a new avatar.
Dina's my girl!!

Old
07-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Dog View Post

Drive to Crown Heights? I used to work in Crown Heights, first, getting there while in Brooklyn isn't convenient forget from the island. Parking there? That's pretty funny. Good luck with that.
Just out of curiosity, how long ago did you used to work in Crown Heights?

Old
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Dog View Post
I lived in Crown Heights (off Kingston). It's really easy at 6-6:30pm. No problem. Again, jackie to eastern. No problem.

Old
07-18-2013, 05:43 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Dina's my girl!!
Well Bunk, I don't know what to tell you. Possible preview of what's to come?

Double uh oh for Dina.

Triple ruh roh for Dina.

Last edited by PWJunior: 07-18-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old
07-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:

Double uh oh for Dina.

Triple ruh roh for Dina.
Take a hike Dina! That first video was actually really funny. You can tell that this team really gets along well. Reminds me of when I played House league, the locker room was hysterical every night.

Edit: The IslesTV stuff is always really poorly done, so I'm hoping Barclays takes over that production as well. I was watching PensTV on the NHL Network and it puts our stuff to shame. I really hope the 'behind the scenes' stuff gets a boost in quality.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:

Double uh oh for Dina.

Triple ruh roh for Dina.

Excellent!!!

07-19-2013, 01:26 AM
doublechili

Let's hope that JT and Alyonka hit it off. Little Igor Tavares would be a certain future HOFer. Talk about hockey genes....

Old
07-19-2013, 07:02 AM
lovegun
Rookie User

Quote:
I was on both sides of the argument here.

When the Barclays news was announced, I was living on Long Island taking the LIRR from Ronkonkoma every morning into midtown for work.

I was so pumped about the move and taking the LIRR was something I was fine with. I did it everyday. 19inarow is correct when saying anyone who commutes to NYC for work needs to go to Brooklyn almost directly after work.

The biggest change in the Islanders is going to be that they no longer will be the most 'family friendly' sports team (as far as Suffolk County families). However if I was told I have to go to 10 less games a year, but my team will receive the benefit of being a big market team (more money to spend) I'd take that trade off.

Currently, I live in Astoria Queens. All I need to go is hop on the NQ with a few beers (discretely of course) and an hour later I'm there. Everyone in the NYC area now has such amazing access to the Islanders that they never had before. I went to all the playoff games this year and I can tell you that without a car, it was a ****ing pain in the ass. I would only go to 5 or 6 regular season games that way.

Moral of the story: Is the move perfect and ideal for everybody? No. Do the Pro's outweigh the Con's? Yes. And besides, there was literally no alternative.
I wish that I had your choices, as I'm a 7 hour drive from Toronto and a 6 hour drive from Detroit, so going to any N.H.L game is definitely a road trip, but I do understand all of your concerns. Being an Islanders fan since 1975, when they drafted Mike Kasycki, who played for our Soo Greyhounds and who was billeted by a neighbour of mine, I'm just glad that the Islanders are still in New York, as it would be a sad day if they ever left. As far as the Jerseys go, just like every other team, I would rather see all original jerseys, because they hold my favorite N.H.L memories. I still watch the games and cheer for the Islanders, but money and free agency has taken the passion out of it, although it's still entertaining, but just not the same. Lets Go Islanders.

Closed Thread