HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2013, 09:24 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Take a hike Dina! That first video was actually really funny. You can tell that this team really gets along well. Reminds me of when I played House league, the locker room was hysterical every night.

Edit: The IslesTV stuff is always really poorly done, so I'm hoping Barclays takes over that production as well. I was watching PensTV on the NHL Network and it puts our stuff to shame. I really hope the 'behind the scenes' stuff gets a boost in quality.
Alyonka is like Deb 2.0 because she knows her hockey and has been around hockey players her whole life. She's not afraid to give it back too, she's pretty funny as well as being easy on the eyes. Looks like Dina is on borrowed time, sorry Bunk.

The BCTV stuff looks very well done. Since they run operations now, you would think they'd take over the TV stuff too. Maybe not next season, but definitely when the Isles move to the BC. I think we'll see a lot of BCTV/Isles content next year though, it's wise to get the ball rolling early.

The hockey term video was great, it seems like a really entertaining locker room. They're all pretty young and they've been together for a bit so they are morally obligated to chirp eachother. It's great to see a little more of the personality of the glue guys in the video. Poor Zeeker, got chirped twice from Alyonka.

The other videos where the Isles visit the BC, it was interesting to see who was there. It seems like CMac is now JT's new BFF and roommate. CMac is actually a really good interview IMO, seems very relaxed and natural on camera.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
HumphreyBrogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Alyonka is like Deb 2.0 because she knows her hockey and has been around hockey players her whole life. She's not afraid to give it back too, she's pretty funny as well as being easy on the eyes. Looks like Dina is on borrowed time, sorry Bunk.

The BCTV stuff looks very well done. Since they run operations now, you would think they'd take over the TV stuff too. Maybe not next season, but definitely when the Isles move to the BC. I think we'll see a lot of BCTV/Isles content next year though, it's wise to get the ball rolling early.

The hockey term video was great, it seems like a really entertaining locker room. They're all pretty young and they've been together for a bit so they are morally obligated to chirp eachother. It's great to see a little more of the personality of the glue guys in the video. Poor Zeeker, got chirped twice from Alyonka.

The other videos where the Isles visit the BC, it was interesting to see who was there. It seems like CMac is now JT's new BFF and roommate. CMac is actually a really good interview IMO, seems very relaxed and natural on camera.
Agreed. I don't get to watch much behind the scenes Isles content, so it's good to see the players have some actual personality and get along off the ice. I've been reading how it's a very good locker room, but rarely do you get to see it. You typically just get to see the canned answers in post-game or radio/podcast interviews. It's nice seeing them together and in their element and having a team of "character guys" doesn't mean they have to be your typical stale hockey bro.

Old
07-24-2013, 12:30 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Barclays is the top-grossing venue in the US (not counting sports):

"The House that Jay-Z built is the new king of New York ó Brooklynís Barclays Center has passed Madison Square Garden to become the highest-grossing venue in the United States for concerts and family shows.

The Netsí new home, which opened in September, raked in $46.9 million in ticket revenue for top acts such as the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Rihanna and Justin Bieber, according to Billboard magazine.

That cash haul topped the $39.5 million in event-ticket sales for the nationís No. 2 venue, Madison Square Garden, Billboard said.

The magazine tracked sales between Nov. 1, 2012, and May 31, 2013, and did not count sports tickets in the figures."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/g...wgNulGVBhiA4BM

Old
07-24-2013, 02:08 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4500
How similar is the ticket pricing between the venues? Are concerts/shows generally more expensive at Barclay's?

Old
07-24-2013, 03:14 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

"The House that Jay-Z built is the new king of New York ó Brooklynís Barclays Center has passed Madison Square Garden to become the highest-grossing venue in the United States for concerts and family shows.

The Netsí new home, which opened in September, raked in $46.9 million in ticket revenue for top acts such as the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Rihanna and Justin Bieber, according to Billboard magazine.

That cash haul topped the $39.5 million in event-ticket sales for the nationís No. 2 venue, Madison Square Garden, Billboard said.

The magazine tracked sales between Nov. 1, 2012, and May 31, 2013, and did not count sports tickets in the figures."

Does the fact that the Garden is undergoing renovations skew the stats somewhat? Not sure if renovations continued on a smaller scale during the hockey and basketball seasons.

I was wondering if bookings, other than the Knicks and Rangers, at the Garden were curtailed during that time period or shifted to their other Manhattan venues, Radio City and the Beacon Theater?

Old
07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
OpAck

Alyonka seems to do a bit of what Dina does and a bit of what that little 15-year old (sarcastic), Greg Picker does. (I'm also guessing that kid is related to Senior VP Michael Picker) That kid bothers me for some reason.

Definitely prefer Alyonka though. Got the hockey bloodlines...I actually think her sister has a similar gig with the Red Wings.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:55 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Alyonka seems to do a bit of what Dina does and a bit of what that little 15-year old (sarcastic), Greg Picker does. (I'm also guessing that kid is related to Senior VP Michael Picker) That kid bothers me for some reason.

Definitely prefer Alyonka though. Got the hockey bloodlines...I actually think her sister has a similar gig with the Red Wings.
I like Greg Picker, he's actually grown on me. And I really feel he has improved a lot since 2 years ago when he first did the Orange Vs Blue Scrimmage. Also his interviewing skills have improved. I'm rooting for the kid, I wouldn't be surprised to see him broadcasting NHL games some day.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:

Question is: How will this help the Isles?

Old
07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Regarding the asbestos in NVMC:

My uncle is a lawyer for Wang, so he was at the Coliseum on Monday. He told me there is definitely asbestos in the ceiling of the hallway right outside the locker room (where you see all the plaques from the Isles HOF), the loading dock and very likely the locker rooms themselves.

I asked if they could use this to move a year early and he just said 'We'll see. Lawsuits galore right now."

I dunno how split the community is here on the move, but I want this to be the last season at NVMC.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:03 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
Question is: How will this help the Isles?
The Isles will be playing in the highest grossing arena in the United States for concerts and family shows. Highest grossing arena in the United States. Second highest in the world. Just repeat that a few times.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Islesin93*

interesting comments, it sounds like Yormark is really set on making the Coliseum a state of the art place
Quote:
As we prepare for the opportunity to renovate and operate Nassau Coliseum, we anticipate replicating our success at Barclays Center in Nassau.Ē
http://faninfo.letsgonets.net/nl/jsp...ac6a6b114b6238

I get the feeling he really wants to make the Islanders have 2 homes, 1 in Brooklyn and 1 in Nassau, and that is fine if you ask me

Old
07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

My uncle is a lawyer for Wang, so he was at the Coliseum on Monday. He told me there is definitely asbestos in the ceiling of the hallway right outside the locker room (where you see all the plaques from the Isles HOF), the loading dock and very likely the locker rooms themselves.

I asked if they could use this to move a year early and he just said 'We'll see. Lawsuits galore right now."

I dunno how split the community is here on the move, but I want this to be the last season at NVMC.
I doubt they'd move.....and FWIW, there is asbestos in the Empire State Building, Met Life, UN, you name it.....so this is a red herring unless it becomes exposed and it just gets abated immediately if one follows the law. It's not an illegal substance, just illegal to use in NEW construction.

But as far as the NVMC....the Isles will leave. The Rag$ will win it and HEY! They might have a new home to go to after MSG is lost due to the braindead NYC elected lemmings:

http://deadspin.com/madison-square-g...ium=socialflow

MSG has ten years and no guarantee after a ONE BILLION DOLAR renovation that they can stay as the hipster marketing design favoring government of soda-sin-central are looking to make a beautiful Penn Station and demolish the Garden.

Old
07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
interesting comments, it sounds like Yormark is really set on making the Coliseum a state of the art place

http://faninfo.letsgonets.net/nl/jsp...ac6a6b114b6238

I get the feeling he really wants to make the Islanders have 2 homes, 1 in Brooklyn and 1 in Nassau, and that is fine if you ask me
The league will not allow that to happen. Home is either Nassau or Brooklyn, not both. For now and for 25 years home is BROOKLYN!

07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I doubt they'd move.....and FWIW, there is asbestos in the Empire State Building, Met Life, UN, you name it.....so this is a red herring unless it becomes exposed and it just gets abated immediately if one follows the law. It's not an illegal substance, just illegal to use in NEW construction.

But as far as the NVMC....the Isles will leave. The Rag$ will win it and HEY! They might have a new home to go to after MSG is lost due to the braindead NYC elected lemmings:

http://deadspin.com/madison-square-g...ium=socialflow

MSG has ten years and no guarantee after a ONE BILLION DOLAR renovation that they can stay as the hipster marketing design favoring government of soda-sin-central are looking to make a beautiful Penn Station and demolish the Garden.
It would be so ironic to find the Islanders enjoying the rebirth of Brooklyn in ten years while the RAGS are jettisoned to the armpit known as Uniondale!

Old
07-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
The league will not allow that to happen. Home is either Nassau or Brooklyn, not both. For now and for 25 years home is BROOKLYN!
yea well it should be fun having a home where we have the smallest capacity in the league and 1/4 of the seats are obstructed

Old
07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
yea well it should be fun having a home where we have the smallest capacity in the league and 1/4 of the seats are obstructed
But good pizza!

Old
07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
periferal

Quote:
The Isles will be playing in the highest grossing arena in the United States for concerts and family shows. Highest grossing arena in the United States. Second highest in the world. Just repeat that a few times.
Ok...Done. Now what?

Old
07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Your song is getting OLD & STALE!!

Old
07-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Old & Stale maybe, but it is the truth and the truth hurts sometimes.

Old
07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
And after you've done that, had another sip of the Kool-Aid repeat the following....

This is a direct result of MSG undergoing renovations the past three years and essentially being closed for six months out of the year. Once MSG is back to normal Barclay's will see MUCH less action.

Old
07-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:

My best friendís sisterís boyfriendís brotherís girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid whoís going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night.

Old
07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
And that does not change what a moronic idea to move there it is. So the song remains the same.

Old
07-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Old & Stale maybe, but it is the truth and the truth hurts sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
And that does not change what a moronic idea to move there it is. So the song remains the same.
What's done is done. All the complaining in the world isn't going to change the outcome that for the next 25 years we are in Brooklyn. Nassau, its politicians and its resident's had their multiple chances and screwed them all up.

Let me also say I would rather the Isles stayed in Nassau, but that just wasn't going to happen. I've made peace with Brooklyn.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:20 PM
13th Floor

Didn't think this deserved it's own thread, but an interesting read about all of the new stadiums/arenas built in the US in the last 20 years, considering the context of having someone that was willing to foot the bill with private money for our own arena.

http://www.psmag.com/business-econom...problem-62665/

Old
07-25-2013, 07:21 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
And after you've done that, had another sip of the Kool-Aid repeat the following....

This is a direct result of MSG undergoing renovations the past three years and essentially being closed for six months out of the year. Once MSG is back to normal Barclay's will see MUCH less action.
The Isles have been a laughingstock for 20 years and at the bottom of the league in attendance and playing in the most outdated arena in the league. I linked to an article about Barclays being the highest grossing arena in the US (think about some of the other arenas in the US) and 2nd highest grossing in the world, and someone asked how that could help the Isles. Which to me was an absurd question in the context of where the Isles have been. And now apparently I'm a Kool-Aid drinker who needs to acknowledge that but for the MSG renovations the Barclays Center would be the Commack Arena West. Okey-dokey.

Closed Thread