HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
I think it needs to be said once again that this thread sucks.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:47 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I think it needs to be said once again that this thread sucks.
Like the BC seating charts.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

I really hope they renovate before the Isles move in, give them 17-18K seats, and less obstructed view seats.

Old
07-25-2013, 11:04 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I really hope they renovate before the Isles move in, give them 17-18K seats, and less obstructed view seats.
That would give them, what, 22k seats for the Nets? They'd have sooooo much work to extend the building, acquire property, retrofit support structures to guarantee it would be safe....

ain't happening.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:27 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
The Isles have been a laughingstock for 20 years and at the bottom of the league in attendance and playing in the most outdated arena in the league. I linked to an article about Barclays being the highest grossing arena in the US (think about some of the other arenas in the US) and 2nd highest grossing in the world, and someone asked how that could help the Isles. Which to me was an absurd question in the context of where the Isles have been. And now apparently I'm a Kool-Aid drinker who needs to acknowledge that but for the MSG renovations the Barclays Center would be the Commack Arena West. Okey-dokey.
Hey lets back off on the Long Island Arena. That place had more history than the NVMC could ever hope for.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:07 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Hey lets back off on the Long Island Arena. That place had more history than the NVMC could ever hope for.
My first ever hockey game was a Ducks game at that arena, or should I say "arena". Chain link "glass" if I remember correctly. And a smell that would make a bus station seem like a bakery.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
The Isles have been a laughingstock for 20 years and at the bottom of the league in attendance and playing in the most outdated arena in the league. I linked to an article about Barclays being the highest grossing arena in the US (think about some of the other arenas in the US) and 2nd highest grossing in the world, and someone asked how that could help the Isles. Which to me was an absurd question in the context of where the Isles have been. And now apparently I'm a Kool-Aid drinker who needs to acknowledge that but for the MSG renovations the Barclays Center would be the Commack Arena West. Okey-dokey.
Attendance figures have ZERO to do with buildings and everything to do with on ice product. Fact s if MSG doesn't renovate, Barclay's doesn't become the highest grossing area and to answer your initial question.....Isles playing in the highest grossing area does NOTHING for them.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:19 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Attendance figures have ZERO to do with buildings and everything to do with on ice product. Fact s if MSG doesn't renovate, Barclay's doesn't become the highest grossing area and to answer your initial question.....Isles playing in the highest grossing area does NOTHING for them.
What the Isles have to do is win, win some more and remain relevant.

THEN....have fans willing to make the commute. Fans who work on LI have to be off work in time to go home, get family and make the train. Wang, no doubt, will still push for kid friendly 7PM starts, not 7:30 PM, so it's gonna be harder. Weeknights will be tough....so the team REALLY has to remain competitive and exciting.

Remember, BK is Ranger Country. Suffolk fans will not be present for good measure. Nassau fans will not all go as well. The team has to have an organic growth in the area to survive.

No arena, however good, however successful, can make Jack and Jill Public want to deal with the time, commute, work, kids, dinner, late return home et al that will be required to have season tickets if it means two hours commuting each game. So a large dropoff will happen. So thusly it's imperative the local fans in NYC continue to see a playoff team for YEARS to grow a loyal fanbase. We gotta get the kids hungry for orange and not red.

Yes, some will say the commute is easy.....for a working family to finish work at PM, get home, eat, deal with the kids and dinner dishes and homework and be ready to jump in your car and get on the train westbound to make it to Brooklyn on time is gonna be taxing to say the least, so I'm not optimistic about the success of the horseshoe.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Islesfan22

The Islanders should have never left Long Island blah blah blah. Don't root for the Islanders anymore then people. It was brooklyn or bust so please stop the *****ing and whining or just don't follow the club anymore.

Old
07-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Islesfan22

OlTimeHockey i live in upstate ny. I made the trip to Naussau and will to Brooklyn. Will take me 90 minutes either way. I have a family as well but you know what i am a fan and i make it work somehow. True fans like me are still going to go.

Old
07-28-2013, 03:24 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
OlTimeHockey i live in upstate ny. I made the trip to Naussau and will to Brooklyn. Will take me 90 minutes either way. I have a family as well but you know what i am a fan and i make it work somehow. True fans like me are still going to go.
I'm a fake, fakey Fakleby fan, I guess.

Old
07-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If you stop attending games because of the move.... well yeah.

Not saying that you in particular are a fake, just in general.

Old
07-28-2013, 03:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
If you stop attending games because of the move.... well yeah.

Not saying that you in particular are a fake, just in general.
fair disclosure...I live in California for now. When I move back, I won't go to many games because the convenience is outweighed by my desire to live comfortably. I could go to Manhattan everyday but choose to not waste so much time commuting. IF IT WERE WORTH IT, I would.....maybe.

But I have my premium on my free time, others have theirs. Two hours a day of train riding to pay for tickets and watch hockey.....that there is some serious dedication.

I have free beer in my fridge and a wide screen TV that says I have different values. NVMC and the cheaper tickets, unobstructed viewing, quick commute...I'd go every game I could.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:44 PM
MJF

Quote:
But I have my premium on my free time, others have theirs. Two hours a day of train riding to pay for tickets and watch hockey.....that there is some serious dedication.

I have free beer in my fridge and a wide screen TV that says I have different values. NVMC and the cheaper tickets, unobstructed viewing, quick commute...I'd go every game I could.
And that is why I will go from having season tickets to attending 3 or 4 games a year.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
And that is why I will go from having season tickets to attending 3 or 4 games a year.
And I don't blame you. I'd rather spend the extra time on my family than on a train.

Old
07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
lorwood

Quote:
My first ever hockey game was a Ducks game at that arena, or should I say "arena". Chain link "glass" if I remember correctly. And a smell that would make a bus station seem like a bakery.
JFK and Richard Nixon both spoke there
One of the Who's earliest U.S. shows was there
Portion of Frampton comes Alive wrer recorded there
Hot Tuna plays until 4am there
And of course the greatest hockey movie ever made was based on the team that called that true barn home.

And yet it went out with a whimper as a flea market and of course now a shopping center sits at that location.

Oh Long Island what went wrong?

Old
07-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
You need to GET OVER IT accept it and move on. Crying about this still months later makes you look like a child.

Old
07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
You need to GET OVER IT accept it and move on. Crying about this still months later makes you look like a child.
Who's crying? I merely suggest the arena we're moving into is IDIOTIC and many will not go - nor should they as it's a big hassle now.

And 1/4 is gonna be empty....but that's just gonna give the place charm.

Maybe I post thousands of posts because I'm a Nassau County fan?

I can't wait for the attendance figures. I must hate the team for not loving Brooklyn

I now acknowledge the new stipulations involved in liking a sports team. Must love all decisions and support them unquestionably or you're a fakey phonypoop fraud and not a real fan.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Let's keep it civil everyone!!

07-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
Who's crying? I merely suggest the arena we're moving into is IDIOTIC and many will not go - nor should they as it's a big hassle now.

And 1/4 is gonna be empty....but that's just gonna give the place charm.

Maybe I post thousands of posts because I'm a Nassau County fan?

I can't wait for the attendance figures. I must hate the team for not loving Brooklyn

I now acknowledge the new stipulations involved in liking a sports team. Must love all decisions and support them unquestionably or you're a fakey phonypoop fraud and not a real fan.
This is not the Nassau Islanders but the New York Islanders and there is a good loyal fan base besides LongIsland. I could care less about Nassau i care about the Islanders. If they are good people will come. If they stink then it will be empty just like the Coliseum has been for to many years. I guess moving to another state or country was a better alternative for you. Sad how many of you people from Nassau think.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
JFK and Richard Nixon both spoke there
One of the Who's earliest U.S. shows was there
Portion of Frampton comes Alive wrer recorded there
Hot Tuna plays until 4am there
And of course the greatest hockey movie ever made was based on the team that called that true barn home.

And yet it went out with a whimper as a flea market and of course now a shopping center sits at that location.

Oh Long Island what went wrong?

Old
07-29-2013, 12:59 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
This is not the Nassau Islanders but the New York Islanders and there is a good loyal fan base besides LongIsland. I could care less about Nassau i care about the Islanders. If they are good people will come. If they stink then it will be empty just like the Coliseum has been for to many years. I guess moving to another state or country was a better alternative for you. Sad how many of you people from Nassau think.
A good loyal fanbase beside Long Island......what percentage? So the five or ten percent near the arena in those boroughs has it easy. Right smack dab in the middle of the Ranger fanbase.

"US PEOPLE" in the median and mean epicenter of the fanbase, where the by far greatest percentage exists, Nassau and Suffolk......well, "US PEOPLE" saw, essentially, the commute jump quite a bit. C'est la vie. I don't care. It's done and all.....but when a well versed clearly anti Nassau city kid posts that I should root for another team or wish they moved to another state or country....it's precious. Adorable.

My response was to a little snide comment about not being thrilled with a move to Ranger Country {and a massive commute for Nassau, an unrealistic and awful commute for Western Suffolk, an impossible commute for Eastern Suffolk } equating to not being a real fan and that we should pick another team?

That's not childish. Nope. So.....some fans in the largest population of fans, Nassau and Suffolk, just might not be able to go to games? It's GREAT! They'll miss the empty side of the building and long train rides. C'est la vie.

I think this equates to the Angels moving to Burbank from Anaheim and the LA resident Angel fans, all six of them, wonder why everyone's not elated with the move right smack dab in the middle of Dodger country.

Or if the Ducks moved to Inglewood....the Oilers moved to Dallas.....the Jets moved to Hartford, the Pens moved to King of Prussia....great stuff!

I hope it proves I'm still a fan if I post a thousand plus times a year on this site, can name every player during the Milstein and Spano years, rooted for Mike Hough and Mike Bossy live in the stands and have quite a bit of memorabilia, yes, but I will say under no uncertain terms the team was better off in Nassau but no one voted the putzes out of office, just replaced them with bigger toolbags. Now, we have ticket prices going through the roof to take a loooooooonnggggg commute to see a team with the smallest capacity in the NHL since before Winnipeg left.

In Ranger Country.

Not happy. Maybe I should switch teams since I was rooting them on before your parents even met. Okidoke.

On a civil note.....still follow and love the team. The arena and live version someone else can wait 3-5 days total in train time each year to see them. I'll have cold beer and great food in the comfort of my own home without a train smelling of urine, crowds pushing and a hope to get the last train out if it goes to overtime and the commute home is flooded with passengers.

As MJF said and I alluded to....a lot of REAL fans will just not go to games...only see a fraction of them. They were robbed of the chance due to Wang and the move. So 3-4 games a year for MJF and likely a ton of other backwoods LI fake fans.

That's good business. And I'm still a real fan after posting this FWIW.

Old
07-29-2013, 01:50 AM
SouthShore91

It's very possible to remain a fan of the team and hate the move. It's tough to argue against the fact that for a lot of the fan base it will become more expensive, more time consuming and more inconvenient to go to a game. We respect those that have made commutes from farther away places to come to games but enjoyed the convenience we had and are, very understandably, angry to see it go.

Old
07-29-2013, 02:27 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
A good loyal fanbase beside Long Island......what percentage? So the five or ten percent near the arena in those boroughs has it easy. Right smack dab in the middle of the Ranger fanbase.
Long Island is a Rangers territory.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:56 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Long Island is a Rangers territory.
Sadly, I agree.

Closed Thread