HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Islesfan22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

After how great those owners were treated by the politicians, and how much money they've made all these years on NYI in nasser and the great fan support from attendance and the referendum those owners really should've spent to focus on building a winner.

Nassau IS amateur. OMG, what about the traffic, the schools, the water, the goats? NYI wasn't wanted on LI. And now they're gone. Hello Brooklyn.
Well said.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
lorwood

Quote:

After how great those owners were treated by the politicians, and how much money they've made all these years on NYI in nasser and the great fan support from attendance and the referendum those owners really should've spent to focus on building a winner.

Nassau IS amateur. OMG, what about the traffic, the schools, the water, the goats? NYI wasn't wanted on LI. And now they're gone. Hello Brooklyn.
While I think this thread is silly (it's a done deal lets move on) the proof that the NYI were really not wanted came in the non reaction after the announcment of the move. The majority of the reaction was either it's about time or so what.

Old
08-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Wang did focus on winning, and immediately. No doubt he did with the end of helping to move his project ahead. It didn't work. Clearly, he made poor decisions.

Surely, you geniuses would have pulled it off, though.
He spent yes but when it was proven that we need a few additional pieces he refused to spend. Lets just finish 8th seed and make the playoffs when it was clear as day that Yashin needed a winger and we needed additional defense.

Hmmm sound familar?? 10 yrs later JT needs a winger and we need additional defense

having Randy Robitaille and Justin Papineau and Aaron Asham as wingers were not going to electrify our offense. It sure as hell did nothing for us in the post season.

Face facts - WANG NEVER WANTED THE ISLANDERS!!! HE WANTED THE REAL ESTATE!!!!

Long Island told him to get lost and his only option to get back that money lost is moving to Brooklyn. So we have the amateur product on the ice now.

Regin is gonna tear it up!!!!

Last edited by Dutch Frost: 08-08-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:

Bert, I am on your side. I cant wait for the Brooklyn move!! I hope we can leave tomorrow and not spend another day in Nassore County. I would be even more ecstatic once Charles Wang sells the team!!

Old
08-08-2013, 06:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Bert, I am on your side. I cant wait for the Brooklyn move!! I hope we can leave tomorrow and not spend another day in Nassore County. I would be even more ecstatic once Charles Wang sells the team!!
If Wang sold the team, Nassau would have fought to keep them. Ironic. Dan-O's painting of a hero is only valid if you wanted the well below cap floor, spending nothing to fill the arena fan apathy government animosity ownership.

If Wang never buys the team, we have a renovated or replaced arena and a healthy Nassau tax revenue base. Wang buys, money is forever lost to Nassau County, local businesses will feel it directly and indirectly and the flight from LI will gradually pick up barring a miracle.

Oh, and Nassau will now have to raise taxes substantially. Not just from the Brooklyn move but by the inability of one Charles Wang to secure the building, upgrade the building and maintain the ticket sales and all vendor sales which contribute to the local economy far more than anyone here wants to admit.

Now Nassau government has to cut spending and lure businesses and major investment into the county or we might as well borrow Detroit's lawyers in a decade.

Old
08-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Ziggy16

The finalists to overhaul the Nassau Coliseum and its surrounding property will submit signed contracts to Nassau County Friday, setting the stage for County Executive Edward Mangano to pick a winner as early as next week.

The contracts, which will include the percentage of annual revenue the county will receive, will be examined by a review committee composed of county engineers, public works officials and finance experts, said Mangano spokesman Brian Nevin.

The committee, Nevin said, is expected to make its final recommendation to Mangano late next week. While their suggestion is not binding, Nevin said, it would be uncommon for the county executive not to follow the committee's choice.

Once the winning bidder is chosen, Mangano will submit the contract to the county legislature, which must approve any final agreement. Mangano has said he hopes the legislature could vote by late August or early September.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...ject-1.5859057

Old
08-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Face facts - WANG NEVER WANTED THE ISLANDERS!!! HE WANTED THE REAL ESTATE!!!!

Long Island told him to get lost and his only option to get back that money lost is moving to Brooklyn. So we have the amateur product on the ice now.

Regin is gonna tear it up!!!!
I think your ideas are, for your own convenience, much simpler than the facts. Yelling and pounding the table also requires very little effort. I'd say something about lacking subtlety, but that always gets me in trouble.

In general, I think the motives of rich people who want power are sometimes difficult to understand and nearly always difficult to empathize with. Could you say how you'd behave in that circumstance? No, of course you can't, and I can't either. So, your indignation is completely lost on me.

My guess is that Charles Wang saw buying the Islanders and leveraging the team to increase density and mixed use areas in Nassau County as his legacy as a Long Islander of historical note. Good idea? Maybe, maybe not. Does he have an inflated sense of self? Almost certainly, people like him tend to be inflated. Is he a greedy shiester pulling one over on the people of Nassau County? It's not that simple.

Personally, I think Wang's Lighthouse Vision was a great idea, but had terrible timing (with key decision points occurring during the housing bust). And I think Wang completely misjudged what a bunch of snobby conservatives LI'ers can be. (I mean conservative in the general sense of being averse to change).

I'd have preferred a vibrant LI to the geriatric backwater that it's promising to become. Oh well.

Old
08-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

I can't find the video (probably not on youtube yet) but MTV just had one hell of a promo for their VMA's in Brooklyn. Granted I'm a huge beastie boy fan so anything set to their music is awesome in my eyes.

I'll post it when I find it, but it just makes me wonder if the Islanders could ever become the cool kids on the block... Maybe not with respect to the Nets, but in the hockey world.

Seeing JT and co. skating out with sleek black 3rd's to NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN would be so damn awesome...

Old
08-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Tavares threw out the first pitch today in Yankees stadium. BK BOUND and we have the franchise player sitting in the luxury suites and hanging in the locker room with the Yankees.

We win a cup in BK he will be a NY GOD!! We win a cup in Long Island and NYC can care less.

FACT!!

Old
08-13-2013, 09:12 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Matt Martin looking spiffy along with Alyonka Larionov for VMA promos at the BC. I wonder if Sydney Esiason is jealous.

https://twitter.com/AlyonkaLarionov/...21196648275968

Great work today @mattymarts17!! Can't wait to host the red carpet w/you. Better bring your A-game or else! pic.twitter.com/oQt3TdX9vi

http://instagram.com/p/c7I0FInZgP/#

Old
08-13-2013, 08:07 PM
camper

Marts lookin good

http://instagram.com/p/c7IZFMEwxb/

Old
08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Tavares threw out the first pitch today in Yankees stadium. BK BOUND and we have the franchise player sitting in the luxury suites and hanging in the locker room with the Yankees.

We win a cup in BK he will be a NY GOD!! We win a cup in Long Island and NYC can care less.

FACT!!
Ummm......ole broken hips used to take BP and hang out in the Mets locker room all the time.

The fact JT threw out the first pitch, was in a luxury suite (which is where I would expect any professional athlete to watch a game) and was in the NYY locker room means absolutely NOTHING!!!!

Old
08-22-2013, 06:59 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

This may have been covered (but you know...search) but where do the Zambonis enter and where do the players take the ice? I would assume the open end of the horseshoe, but it looks like there's a tunnel in the seats on the other end.

And what is that giant opening on the second level (the right corner if you're facing the open end of the horseshoe.) I'd have to think there's a way to fill that with more seats. It seems pointless right now.

Old
08-22-2013, 07:01 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Ummm......ole broken hips used to take BP and hang out in the Mets locker room all the time.

The fact JT threw out the first pitch, was in a luxury suite (which is where I would expect any professional athlete to watch a game) and was in the NYY locker room means absolutely NOTHING!!!!
Yes, DP hung with the Mets. One of the biggest joke franchises in baseball.

Though the Yankees are struggling this year (largely due to the old guys being broken and/or a-holes) they are still the Habs of baseball and NY's top franchise. JT hanging with the Yanks is an entirely different level.

Old
08-22-2013, 07:45 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post

Though the Yankees are struggling this year (largely due to the old guys being broken and/or a-holes) they are still the Habs of baseball and NY's top franchise. JT hanging with the Yanks is an entirely different level.
Lol. Now we are basing our status on what baseball teams our players hang with.

DP was friends with Mike Piazza. Is that an issue?

Old
08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
I was looking at the girl, myself.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I was looking at the girl, myself.
Well, if I wasn't sold on the move before I am now.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Well, if I wasn't sold on the move before I am now.
It's nice to see Matty Marts getting some exposure. It's a pretty cool gig getting to co-host the VMA Red Carpet.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...nter-1.5905986

Quote:
Martin says he's simply ready to have fun with the experience, though he knows he's going to face some jokes about in the Islanders' locker room. "They'll be jealous that they're not doing it," he says, laughing.

Larionov says she's ready to tweet about Martin so all his teammates will know and is looking forward to retweeting any jokes thrown his way. "That's the way the hockey world goes," she says.
Anyway, MM17 is taken and he's got to hang with Boomer...

https://twitter.com/sydneyesiason/st...82967225847808

Old
08-22-2013, 07:29 PM
lost35*

Quote:

are you a "new" Yankee fan?

I hate to tell you but the Mets owned NY in the 80s in ways the Yankees never did

the Yankees may be comparable to the Canadiens in terms of their history, but in terms of their fan bases, the Yankees are more comparable to Miami Heat and Pittsburgh Penguins fans

Old
08-23-2013, 08:19 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post

I hate to tell you but the Mets owned NY in the 80s in ways the Yankees never did

the Yankees may be comparable to the Canadiens in terms of their history, but in terms of their fan bases, the Yankees are more comparable to Miami Heat and Pittsburgh Penguins fans
I wouldn't go that far, but New York is a National League town.

Old
08-23-2013, 08:41 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post

Born and bred Yankees fan from the early days of Mattingly. I know from suffering (as a Yankees/Isles/Jets fan living through the post Cup days til now.) But the Mets' cache has dropped severely since the glory days of 86. Something about throwing firecrackers at your fans and will do that.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:

There is zero correlation between who Tavares hangs out with and the stature of the NYI. ZERO!!!

For all we know he may friends on the team and gone to many games before he was seen at the press conference and all. And lets remember that him being there was tied to an event, not like he just showed up.

I do just love how anything this team does west of NVMC someone on here has to make a big deal out of it. These things happened before they announced the move too.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Strummergas

Quote:

I do just love how anything this team does west of NVMC someone on here has to make a big deal out of it. These things happened before they announced the move too.
This is true, but you do have to acknowledge that anything they've done from the time the move was announced until they actually move is for increased exposure in NYC prior to their actual arrival in Brooklyn.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
There is zero correlation between who Tavares hangs out with and the stature of the NYI. ZERO!!!

For all we know he may friends on the team and gone to many games before he was seen at the press conference and all. And lets remember that him being there was tied to an event, not like he just showed up.

Matt Martin was hosting a red carpet event for a huge national event prior to the move being announced to Brooklyn? Of course there is correlation between the types of events the Islanders players are involved in and where they play. Matt Martin is not hosting a red carpet if he is playing at the NVMC for the next decade.

Old
08-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Matt Martin looking spiffy along with Alyonka Larionov for VMA promos at the BC. I wonder if Sydney Esiason is jealous.

https://twitter.com/AlyonkaLarionov/...21196648275968

Great work today @mattymarts17!! Can't wait to host the red carpet w/you. Better bring your A-game or else! pic.twitter.com/oQt3TdX9vi

http://instagram.com/p/c7I0FInZgP/#
My goodness, how skinny is that woman!?

Closed Thread