HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryz buyout - Miller to Flyers?

Old
06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Who is Josh Rimer?

Honest question

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Who is Josh Rimer?

Honest question
Apparently a radio host and a sportsnet.ca guy.

He also said that Buffalo and Philly had discussions about trading Vanek this past deadline.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'll take the Flyers' beat reporter's word...which was "we are adamant about giving the job to Steve Mason and bringing in a veteran to compete with him or support him" (mentioned Emery, Theodore, Dan Ellis) on XM yesterday.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Josh Rimer, the guy with actual sources who broke the Miller/Flyers talks was just on WGR. Anybody want to talk about what he said the value would be? Anybody? Ok, I'll just tell you.

Rimer said it would have to start with the 11th overall pick, add a prospect like Couturier, maybe Read, and add another minor leaguer. But don't worry, you guys have it all figured out from behind your keyboards.
As if you aren't acting like you have it all figured out from behind your keyboard?

This guy is undoubtedly no more plugged in to NHL trade value of the Flyers' thinking than Bucky Gleason (and I don't mean the poster). I hope that kind of return happens more than anyone but this is not your "gotcha" moment.

If we got 11 and Couturier while retaining #8, #16, and everything else, the rebuild will be glowing.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'll take the Flyers' beat reporter's word...which was "we are adamant about giving the job to Steve Mason and bringing in a veteran to compete with him or support him" (mentioned Emery, Theodore, Dan Ellis) on XM yesterday.
I leave all options open. The vet move makes sense..but when u r dealing with flyers u really have no idea what they r going to do

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Who is Josh Rimer?

Honest question
The same guy who informed Stokes that the Flyer would be pursuing Luongo

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:49 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
A week ago they told Bryz he wouldn't be bought out, too. Don't believe anything, especially from Holmgren.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:52 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
A week ago they told Bryz he wouldn't be bought out, too. Don't believe anything, especially from Holmgren.
No true, speculation from Josh Rimer

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
that gave me a chuckle

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

I'd be willing to believe Holmgren lies to cover his mistakes. I love that guy.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Vito_81

Quote:

Mason couldn't cut it in Columbus, He'll be eaten alive by the Philly fans and the media come Thanksgiving.

He was a flash in the pan in 08-09. He's struggled to keep his SV% at .900 since then. He's just not that good.

No way would I feel confident heading into a season with a Mason+Theo/Emery/Ellis. Unless they're rebuilding too.

Or who knows, maybe he's the reverse Bobrovsky.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:57 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I leave all options open. The vet move makes sense..but when u r dealing with flyers u really have no idea what they r going to do
Why do you think this?

From my point of view, they have had 20 years of trying that and on numerous playoff runs, it has backfired. Miller offers them 3-5 years of stability (and please don't come back about his contract, they'll work it out)

I do not believe Miller's value is Coots, I DO NOT BELIEVE MILLER"S VALUE IS COOTS....but I do think a package should be made making those two the principles.

You have to think of it this way, from Philly's perspective, think about how the marketing of bringing in Miller will go in Philly....like the missing piece. They need a top end goalie, Miller at 50% salary gives them that, add in Sekera and the 16th!!!!

Cooots is the two way center WE NEED TO BUILD AROUND. Darcy needs this deal before the draft.

Coots, Grigs and CoHo down the middle and Larson, Girgs and Ennis filling in around them.....OMG...it would be a dream....all under 23

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Mason's ESSV was only .004 better than Bryz' last year lol

e: among other mysteries of the deep, Enroth's was pretty good two years ago.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Not true.. Homer did say he had no plans to buy out Bryz. Pretty sure it wasnt a week ago..but he did state that and was reportee by Bobby Mac

Old
06-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Didn't he also said Carter and Richards were untouchable? And then trades both in one day?
Yup - and later defended the trade with the insinuations about each player's off-ice habits, proving that the idea of trading either or both was running through his mind for some time before the trade (and his quote about them being their core).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Then I try miller and 16 for read and 11
That would be a fair return - I can't see Regier trading the 8th if Couturier isn't made available.

Quote:
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 4m

Hearing Flyers have had discussions with the Buffalo Sabres regarding Ryan Miller. Flyers are def. up to something with Buyout of Bryz.

Makes sense to me....the Flyers can't trust Mason as their starter and Luongo seems just as much a gamble as Miller, even if Vancouver buys him out and Flyers sign him as an UFA. They could go cheap by signing Emery, Nabokov or Khabibulin without forfeiting any assets but I would think the Flyers have learned by now that their Band-Aid process with finding their goalies hasn't worked.

Quote:
Wait, are you saying Couts is worth way more than that?
Without a doubt - just the mere fact of a 12-year age difference between them automatically puts Couturier's value higher than Miller.

Quote:
My guess is that Buffalo would want Coburn in return. We have alot of youth breaking in the next couple of years, Buffalo should be looking at surrounding those guys with quality players
I wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren were to make such a swap but it'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul IMO - the Flyers rely so heavily on Coburn and Timmonen, and Timmonen is probably in his final 1-2 seasons before retiring. If they gave up their best defender just to strengthen their goaltending, I'm not sure they really improve at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Can't see Philly being interested in a goalie who isn't locked up for a while. They need to trade for a slave who has a few years on their contract so they can't leave as soon as the season is over after seeing what a **** show that organization is for goaltenders.
On the contrary, given how often their goalie experiments fail and how they got burned in overcommitting to Bryzgalov, I would think that Holmgren would actually view having Miller on 1 year commitment as a plus; if things don't work out, they just keep the carousel going and dump him next summer. If Miller shines, Snider just opens the vault for him like they did with Bryzgalov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
How about Miller for Read and Meszaros. Seems to be a lot of talk about Mesz being the next d-man run off the Flyers roster..
There's a reason for that - he hasn't lived up to expectations since signing the big deal with Philly. He's the kind of dead weight underachiever that the Sabres already have their fair share of. The only way I'd want Regier taking him on is if he's the linchpin to landing Couturier, similar to how Kotalik had to be included in the deal for Regehr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Eh, I'm not sure Pegula is all that interested in a full rebuild after his comments about Vanek and Miller extending.
I'm not sure Pegula even comprehends what a full rebuild is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
2. After Smith re-ups in Phoenix, please tell me 1 Western team that needs a goalie, or will next year when he's a UFA? There isn't one. Philly is perfect for Miller for the next 3-5 years.
Unless Dubynk and Elliot turn into Hasek-clones or either team trades for a # 1 this season, Edmonton and St. Louis will likely be in the same boat as they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I wonder if the Flyers would be interested in the Vanek-Miller combo pack?
They'd have to shed a lot more salary - they just freed up $12M in the Bryzgalov and Briere buyouts. Spending the $13M on the two Sabres would put them right back into cap problems.

Quote:
Rimer said it would have to start with the 11th overall pick, add a prospect like Couturier, maybe Read, and add another minor leaguer.
He must be speculating on what Regier will ask for, based on his penchant for overvaluing his own players' worth. No one else would realistically think such a boatload could be had for Miller alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I think there will be a long line of volunteers to drive Miller to Philly for 11+Couts.
Drive? Heck, if fans knew that deal was on the table, I bet they'd charter a private jet to fly Ryan south. I sure would chip in!

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Why do you think this?

From my point of view, they have had 20 years of trying that and on numerous playoff runs, it has backfired. Miller offers them 3-5 years of stability (and please don't come back about his contract, they'll work it out)

I do not believe Miller's value is Coots, I DO NOT BELIEVE MILLER"S VALUE IS COOTS....but I do think a package should be made making those two the principles.

You have to think of it this way, from Philly's perspective, think about how the marketing of bringing in Miller will go in Philly....like the missing piece. They need a top end goalie, Miller at 50% salary gives them that, add in Sekera and the 16th!!!!

Cooots is the two way center WE NEED TO BUILD AROUND. Darcy needs this deal before the draft.

Coots, Grigs and CoHo down the middle and Larson, Girgs and Ennis filling in around them.....OMG...it would be a dream....all under 23
It makes sense bc they are have some pieces to re-sign in the next coming years. .including Giroux

Old
06-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Regier asking for a treasure trove at first is just common negotiating practice. He'd try to add to Miller to get only one or the other, most likely.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Not true.. Homer did say he had no plans to buy out Bryz. Pretty sure it wasnt a week ago..but he did state that and was reportee by Bobby Mac
I think that news came from Bryzgalov's agent, who told the media that the Flyers assured him they weren't going to buy out his client. There was no specific reference by name but one would assume the agent got that assurance either from Snider or Holmgren.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:22 PM
gallagt01

I think people are confusing Rimer's assessment of "what it would take" and how far Holmgren is actually willing to go.

Maybe, for Regier, dealing Miller is only a possibility if the return is astronomical, such as the one Rimer suggested.

That doesn't mean Holmgren has to do it.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
I think people are confusing Rimer's assessment of "what it would take" and how far Holmgren is actually willing to go.

Maybe, for Regier, dealing Miller is only a possibility if the return is astronomical, such as the one Rimer suggested.

It's not like this guy has any more insight into Darcy than we do. I doubt it would take that much. Maybe you could convince me it'd take one of those two pieces (11th or Couturier) but certainly there's no way Darcy would not trade Miller because of that. This is assuming that Miller extension is dead in the water. Darcy is not going that route again, he will trade Miller for what he can get if Miller is not going to re-sign.

The same can be said for Vanek only I could see Darcy try to continue to negotiate over next season and then trade him at the deadline where he'd likely have as good or better trade value. That won't be the case for Miller.

Old
gallagt01

I will add, however, that if Regier managed to swing Couturier for Miller without giving up 8 or 16, this team would be trending in the right direction - and fast.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moskau

vCash: 67
A return like that doesn't go down unless Philly knows they can extend Miller. And I can't see Miller skipping free agency again just to get locked up long term with a team that abuses goaltenders the way that they do. Unless they plan on making him the highest paid goalie in the league. In which case congratulations to Ryan Miller and 29 teams in the league.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
He must be speculating on what Regier will ask for, based on his penchant for overvaluing his own players' worth. No one else would realistically think such a boatload could be had for Miller alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post

Exactly. I'm sure Holmgren would be taking the opposite approach where his 11th pick for Miller is enough by itself, without forfeiting assets or roster players.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Exactly. I'm sure Holmgren would be taking the opposite approach where his 11th pick for Miller is enough by itself, without forfeiting assets or roster players.
If 11th overall is Holmgren's starting point then there's no excuse for this deal not to get done.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Sabresfansince1980

FWIW, Bryz' agent said that Holmgren told him they had no plans at the time to buy him out. The agent thought Holmgren was being totally honest, but that those plans could change at any time and if they did Holmgren would say so. There was no promise made either way.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote