HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIX

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Ice Crusher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Why do we need Ference? He's not that good for God's sake, do we really need another guy who's #4 on his best days?
Agree 100%. Avs needs a top-2D. Nothing less.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:59 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Why do we need Ference? He's not that good for God's sake, do we really need another guy who's #4 on his best days?
My concern is age. If the Avs sign Ference, the season after next, they'll have two 36 year old guys making $6-7M combined. At some point, players slow down. That doesn't seem like good asset management to me, even if Ference can play defense better than a number of guys we currently have.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Do people seriously think here that Ference can't play a top 2/3 spot, but Scuderi can? Seriously? Really, seriously?

Old
06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Crusher View Post
Stastny doesn't have enough a good value to bring back a top-4 D for the following reasons:

- Cap hit
- Becomes UFA
- His number has decrease

The only player I see getting for Stastny is Dan Boyle who will become UFA next season. I'd rather keep Stastny right now...I am sure he will bounce back under Roy's style of coaching.
Believe me, I don't think highly of Stastnys trade value. I just would like to trade him for a player who can fill a bigger need for us, like a defenseman.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Stastny doesn't have enough a good value to bring back a top-4 D for the following reasons:

- Cap hit
- Becomes UFA
- His number has decrease

The only player I see getting for Stastny is Dan Boyle who will become UFA next season. I'd rather keep Stastny right now...I am sure he will bounce back under Roy's style of coaching.
Don't tell Dave Nonis that.

But seriously, if we ended up trading Stastny for Phaneuf + Gunnarsson + Colborne(As was mentioned earlier) I think Leafs fans would all have a collective meltdown.

And it would be awesome.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Believe me, I don't think highly of Stastnys trade value. I just would like to trade him for a player who can fill a bigger need for us, like a defenseman.
His trade value is too low to bring a defenceman that we would need. I'd rather keep him with Mackinnon as his centre.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Agree 100%. Avs needs a top-2D. Nothing less.
Take what you can get. How are we gonna get that? We can't ignore improving our defense just cause we can't get a top 2 d.

If we can't get that, we must go for the next best thing and try to get at least one or two more top 4 defenseman in. They only two worthy of being called that right now in our roster is Hejda and EJ.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
His trade value is too low to bring a defenceman that we would need. I'd rather keep him with Mackinnon as his centre.
Ya, but I don't agree with you that it's a "top 2 defenseman or don't get one at all"

Old
06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Looks like Stastny is staying (for now at least)...
this is gonna be hella fun to watch on the power play and some PK's.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Do people seriously think here that Ference can't play a top 2/3 spot, but Scuderi can? Seriously? Really, seriously?
Scuderi is significantly better than Ference, I really fail to understand where is this sudden fascination with Ference coming from.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Scuderi is significantly better than Ference, I really fail to understand where is this sudden fascination with Ference coming from.
Availability?

Old
06-26-2013, 12:14 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
I would say they are about the same. If you had asked me last summer I would have said Scuderi was significantly better. Scuderi is on the downhill slide already. Ference hasn't hit it yet (probably close though).

Old
06-26-2013, 12:16 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Significantly? Not at all, I do think Scuderi is better, but not by a big margin and both players are close to starting to decline.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Ya, but I don't agree with you that it's a "top 2 defenseman or don't get one at all"
We have plenty of D that can play a 3-4 role. Getting another D with the same talent isn't the answer for our D's problem.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:17 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
We have plenty of D that can play a 3-4 role. Getting another D with the same talent isn't the answer for our D's problem.
EJ, Hejda, Barrie.... can't think of anybody else.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Agreed.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I would say they are about the same. If you had asked me last summer I would have said Scuderi was significantly better. Scuderi is on the downhill slide already. Ference hasn't hit it yet (probably close though).
I don't think it's really fair to make assumptions on Scuderi based on a short season in which he didn't have a TC to prepare for the season, he also faced tougher competition compared to Ference and was his teams go to PKer unlike Ference who played on the 2nd PK unit for the Bruins.

Quote:
Availability?
So the Avs should jump on any mediocre defenseman that enters the FA market?

Old
06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Even, I would give a chance to a guy like Elliott. Maybe, hasn't panned out last season but I liked what I saw from him 2 seasons ago. Wilson is a top-4D but injuries has taken him off the lineup the past 2 seasons. What we need is a top-2D. Siemens is also a long reach but if he has a good camp, I would rather see him on our team than a guy like Scuderi or Ference.

Old
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Wilson when healthy would be a 3-4 imo

Old
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
So the Avs should jump on any mediocre defenseman that enters the FA market?
Na, but if there is one there who could crack our lineup, then it's not completely insane that people discuss it.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:24 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Yes, but they are pushed to the top pairing, since we don't have anybody else. And then we are stuck with depth guys like Zanon and SOB to play the #3 and #4 role.

Of course we would all prefer to add a top 2 defenseman. But it's not like it would hurt to add a defenseman who is better than the majority of d-man we already have here.

Would you, for instance, pass on Johnny Boychuk if he was handed to you for free? Just because he isn't a top 2 defenseman?

Old
06-26-2013, 12:25 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Even, I would give a chance to a guy like Elliott. Maybe, hasn't panned out last season but I liked what I saw from him 2 seasons ago. Wilson is a top-4D but injuries has taken him off the lineup the past 2 seasons. What we need is a top-2D.
Elliott isn't ready... he needs bottom pairing minutes with some PP time. If he earns a top 4 spot, room can be made.

Wilson is too injury prone and inconsistent.

I would love to get a top 2D, but if one can't be found another 3/4 LD is what should be targeted. Another year of Hunwick or Wilson on the top pairing is only going to end in complete failure. Even signing somebody like Hainsey (who is a fringe 2/3) improves this defense dramatically.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:26 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Wilson when healthy would be a 3-4 imo
Which is nearly never. The guy is always injured or has a nagging issue.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Plenty? We have exactly two (three, if Barrie can handle the defense), but two are going to have to play a 1-2 role.

I still maintain that Hejda-EJ should be the 1st pairing, if the Avs pick up no new defensemen. They're the two best on the team. Play them together.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Elliott isn't ready... he needs bottom pairing minutes with some PP time. If he earns a top 4 spot, room can be made.

Wilson is too injury prone and inconsistent.

I would love to get a top 2D, but if one can't be found another 3/4 LD is what should be targeted. Another year of Hunwick or Wilson on the top pairing is only going to end in complete failure. Even signing somebody like Hainsey (who is a fringe 2/3) improves this defense dramatically.
I don't agree with you about Elliott not being ready. I'm pretty confident that Elliott wasn't his best because of his injury last season. He was better 2 seasons ago. He will crack the lineup next season. I'd rather give a chance to our young D instead of paying for Ference or Scuderi.

Closed Thread