HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Caley's Mock Draft

Old
06-27-2013, 03:04 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Caley's Mock Draft

I could do this 5 times in a day and probably not have it come out the same way. It's that kind of draft. I did a look at where GMs have taken their picks from which weighed heavily in my final picks here.

01. COL Nathan MacKinnnon: Avs have stated repeatedly that he's their man, I have no real reason to doubt that. Let's make it so.

02. FLA FLA: Florida scouted MacKinnon hard and he's the guy they wanted, but they're happy to get the other consensus #1 pick and choose Seth Jones and likely trade a defenceman to acquire help up front.

03. TBL Valeri Nicushkin: In light of the Lecavalier buy-out, many presume that Barkov might be Tampa's guy here, but instead I think they go with Nichushkin, whom they've long been rumored to have interest in. Steve Yzerman is one of the few GMs who completely ignores the Russian factor, having chosen 4 Russians out of Russia during his tenure, including one in the first round last year.

04. NAS Sasha Barkvo: Though Nashville never chooses Europeans in the first round, they buck the trend this year because their forward core needs a rebuild and they've seen that teams don't win the Cup without big-time centers in the fold.

05. CAR Jonathan Drouin: I think Drouin goes here, though I don't necessarily think he goes to Carolina. A team in need of Drouin's creativity and skill makes a deal with Carolina to acquire this pick in exchange for a bonefide young Top 4 defenceman.

06. CGY Sean Monahan: GM Jay Feaster's predilection for college players is actually a myth, he plucks his players overwhelmingly from the CHL (52% of his picks since the lockout have come from the CHL). With smaller creative players like Sven Bartschi and Johnny Gaudreau in the system, Feaster gets something you can't usually trade for and takes a big, scoring center in Monahan.

07. EDM Elias Lindholm: Again, like the Carolina pick, I think this is where Lindholm goes, but I don't think he goes to Edmonton. The Oilers, missing out on the players they really want (Barkov, Monahan), trade down to somewhere in the early teens (anywhere from 12-16) and pick up a defenceman in the process. A team that really loves Lindholm jumps into the fray and takes the pivot.

08. BUF Frederik Gauthier: The Sabres have long loved to the QMJHL and do so again here, surprising most by taking Gauthier above where he's rated, but do so to fill an organizational need in size up front. The Sabres, like some scouts, believe Gauthier has a higher offensive ceiling and draft the big center.

09. NJD Darnell Nurse: The Devils come into the draft looking for forwards, but can't resist the big Nurse and are happy to see him slide to them. His slight drop rewards the Devils for hanging onto this pick in front of their home crowd and eases the sting of losing their 1st rounder next year.

10. DAL Max Domi: Dallas is thrilled to add a player of Domi's skill and creativity, new GM Jim Nill, after years of apprenticing in Detroit, knows the value of highly-competitive players with bloodlines and has no qualms about his size.

11. PHI Samuel Morin: Philadelphia goes for need here, for the future and present and gambles on Morin into blossoming into a Top 2 defenceman. He's already got the snarl and the size, but in the playoffs he averaged better than a point-per-game in the playoffs and is a faster riser than anybody else in 2013.

12. PHX Hunter Shinkaruk: There's a few players on the board that interest the Coyotes, but none with Shinkaruk's offensive ability and he's the kind of guy who will look good with Shane Doan and/or Mikkel Boekder.

13. WPG Bo Horvat: Winnipeg envisions Horvat as their longterm 2nd line center behind Mark Scheifele. Horvat's 2-way skills and clutch goal-scoring make him a worthy pick.

14. CBJ Kerby Rychel: New GM Jarmo Kekalainen is happy to add a budding power forward in Rychel, with strong bloodlines.

15. NYI Curtis Lazar: The Isles get a really good look at Lazar while keeping tabs on last year's first rounder, Griffin Reinhart, and are happy to select the defensively responsible center, knowing how hard he works. They're happy to add a guy who might be able to slot in nicely as #2 center behind John Tavares, or could even end up on Tavares' wing when all is said and done.

16. BUF Rasmus Ristolainen: After going off the board a bit with their first pick, the Sabres are thrilled when a slight drop lands Rasmus Ristolainen right in their laps. The big Finn will be a big piece going forward.

17. OTT Alexander Wennberg: Ottawa loves to go to Sweden with their picks and does so again here. With a ton of players/prospects maturing and looking for a role, Ottawa can afford to wait on this one and let Wennberg continue to develop overseas.

18. DET Ryan Hartman: Playing for Plymouth, Detroit gets a lot of looks at the feisty Hartman. With all the skill in the system, Detroit's happy to add a guy with more grit, who might still add some inches to his frame and develop into a veritable power forward (His Dad and Uncle both stand over 6'2" and didn't grow until their college years, meaning Hartman could still grow, too).

19. CBJ Nikita Zadorov: Columbus is happy when the big Russian defenceman, who some have as a Top 10 pick, drops to them at 19. Concerns about his ceiling (Is he Zdeno Chara or Vladimir Mihalik?) and the Russian factor cause a bit of a slide.

20. SJS Shea Theodore: No strangers to choosing out of the WHL, GM Doug Wilson takes the smooth-skating Theodore and hope that they've drafted Dan Boyle's eventual replacement.

21. TOR Anthony Mantha: Toronto selects the only 50-goal scorer in this year's draft with the idea that questions about his competitiveness/grit can be answered by the fiery Randy Carlyle.

22. CGY Ryan Pulock: Having addressed a big organizational need with their first pick, Calgary does so again going to the offensive defenceman with a big shot. Playing in Western Canada, the Flames aren't worried about Pulock's "off" season knowing he played for a truly terrible Brandon Wheat Kings squad.

23. WAS Robert Burakowsky: The Capitals love to select Swedish forwards, and do so again with this selection.

24. VAN Jimmy Lodge: GM Mike Gillis takes most of his first rounders out of the OHL and does so again, taking the quick-rising big forward here.

25. MTL Adam Erne: Montreal's scouting staff loves American-born players and selects the US-born but playing in Quebec Erne, hoping that the power forward develops as planned and can add size to their top lines in the coming years.

26. ANA Morgan Klimchuk: After Emerson Etem's breakout season, Anaheim has no qualms about drafting another smallish forward from a WHL prairie team and takes the talented Klimchuk.

27. CBJ Valentin Zykov: Columbus is thrilled that the high-scoring Zykov slides to them at #27.

28. CGY Brett Pece: With the third of three first round picks, Calgary surprised onlookers by going slightly off the board and taking the big NCAA defenceman. Pesce is a guy that Calgary have been excited about for a while.

29. DAL Artturi Lekhonen: Dallas surprises everyone by going for the small and skilled, but injury-prone Finn at #29. Jim Nill was a part of Detroit's tradition of selecting skill players out of Europe and he seeks to start his own tradition in Dallas, going for skill at #29.

30. CHI Josh Morrissey: The prevailing wisdom is that Chicago take an USHL or European player here to give them lots of time to develop because of the strength of their roster. But, with players needing to be moved to make cap-space and the likely to be rapid graduation of prospects in the next year, Chicago needs a player with high upside who might be able to step into the Top 4 sooner than later and grab the talented Morrissey who's fearless style will fit in great with the Cup winners.

06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Brock Anton
panthers #badnwagon

Agreed on Drouin and Carolina. We don't need another smallish skill winger.

If he falls to #5, JR's phone will be ringing off the hook, and I think he deals it.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Saad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Agreed on Drouin and Carolina. We don't need another smallish skill winger.

If he falls to #5, JR's phone will be ringing off the hook, and I think he deals it.
If Drouin falls to 5 I would be very interested in what Columbus could offer. I'd be cool with sending two of our firsts plus Nikitin.. could be coerced into sending all 3 firsts. We have a deficiency in depth of forwards in our prospect pool, so it'd be nice to have 3 picks to round that out, but for the opportunity to pick Drouin I'd be very tempted.

As a Columbus fan, if we kept all 3 picks, this would be a pretty ideal draft. Contrary to a lot of opinion, I would have no problem at all taking Rychel at 14. I'd rather take Pulock or Mantha at 19, but I wouldn't complain if we took Zadorov. And Zykov falling to 27 would be sweet.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Not really a fan of it from a number of team's perspectives, but Jimmy Lodge? Really? Just because our last two 1st round picks were from the OHL, that's only because they were the BPA. Both Jensen and Gaunce dropped to us.

We don't make reaches like that in the first round. Either Zykov or Morrissey would be far, far better picks there.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:47 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Not really a fan of it from a number of team's perspectives, but Jimmy Lodge? Really? Just because our last two 1st round picks were from the OHL, that's only because they were the BPA. Both Jensen and Gaunce dropped to us.

We don't make reaches like that in the first round. Either Zykov or Morrissey would be far, far better picks there.
Lodge isn't that big of a reach. He's one of those fast-risers that's going to go high in the 2nd or sneak into the first (Based on his monster 2nd half where he had 45 points in 32 games). He's big, he scores and I could see Vancouver being very interested in him, moreso than a Russian player (Vancouver does not have a great recent history with them) or Morrissey (Vancouver really doesn't seem to either scout the WHL well, or put much stock in WHL performance).

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
I'd rather any of Mantha, Burakovsky, Klimchuk, or Zykov at 20, but props to you, Theodore is probably the only defenseman I'd be happy with.

Very good mock, I really, really like the selection of Gauthier that high. People underrate him a bit because his offensive production decreased slightly, but he's big, a good skater, has great hands in tight, and is honestly brilliant defensively and is used in tough situations, yet managed a lot of even strength production. His floor IMHO is Brandon Sutter, but he has upside to be like a Bergeron type of player.

I also like the calls of 5 and 7 moving. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Lodge isn't that big of a reach. He's one of those fast-risers that's going to go high in the 2nd or sneak into the first (Based on his monster 2nd half where he had 45 points in 32 games). He's big, he scores and I could see Vancouver being very interested in him, moreso than a Russian player (Vancouver does not have a great recent history with them) or Morrissey (Vancouver really doesn't seem to either scout the WHL well, or put much stock in WHL performance).
Even if he's "not that big of a reach", he's still a reach. Vancouver has never ever taken a reach in the first round since Gillis was GM. I could see us passing on Zykov because he's Russian(not that I'd be happy about it), but even if we assume that Vancouver will stereotype and refuse to draft out of the WHL, Adam Erne would probably be a better fit.

Outside the first round I have very little faith in Gillis' drafting. But the first round, every single year without fail, has been BPA.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:04 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Like it for Dallas.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Even if he's "not that big of a reach", he's still a reach. Vancouver has never ever taken a reach in the first round since Gillis was GM. I could see us passing on Zykov because he's Russian(not that I'd be happy about it), but even if we assume that Vancouver will stereotype and refuse to draft out of the WHL, Adam Erne would probably be a better fit.

Outside the first round I have very little faith in Gillis' drafting. But the first round, every single year without fail, has been BPA.
We shall see. There's a good chance you're right. I'm very rarely right on these things, I just wanted it down in record in case one of these picks come true so I can say "I told you so!" and have actual evidence that I'd said it.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:13 PM
JonathanToews19clutc*

Please Valentin Zykov in Montreal.

Max Pacioretty - Alex Galchenyuk - Valentin Zykov future first line

JonathanToews19clutc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:17 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
If Drouin falls to 5 I would be very interested in what Columbus could offer. I'd be cool with sending two of our firsts plus Nikitin.. could be coerced into sending all 3 firsts. We have a deficiency in depth of forwards in our prospect pool, so it'd be nice to have 3 picks to round that out, but for the opportunity to pick Drouin I'd be very tempted.

As a Columbus fan, if we kept all 3 picks, this would be a pretty ideal draft. Contrary to a lot of opinion, I would have no problem at all taking Rychel at 14. I'd rather take Pulock or Mantha at 19, but I wouldn't complain if we took Zadorov. And Zykov falling to 27 would be sweet.
Thing is, most likely, if the Canes are moving from #5 with Columbus they'll want all 3 picks, or a bare minimum 2 of the 3 with #14 having to be one of them.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

Great first two picks for Calgary. Definitely shocked with your "Pesce" pick.

I think Feaster and CO. would probably select McCoshen or Santini over him.

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

vCash: 68
Prefer Zykov.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:11 PM
ZeroPT*

Can't see Gauthier being picked 8th, would rather Nurse or Domi if that were the board.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

I'd be pretty pissed if Van passed on Erne and Zykov.

Max Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:45 PM
MagnumForce

I cant see the Sabres reaching on Gauthier at 8. He most likely will be there at 16 and even then I wouldn't want the Sabres to draft him.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Like it for Dallas.
To elaborate.

We really need some boom/bust prospects, preferably centers. Domi is exactly that.

I'd hope we take Petan at 29 if he's there, but Lehkonen could be a steal at 29 if he can stay healthy. I think he'd be there at 40, though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:04 AM
wings95

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I could do this 5 times in a day and probably not have it come out the same way. It's that kind of draft. I did a look at where GMs have taken their picks from which weighed heavily in my final picks here.

01. COL Nathan MacKinnnon: Avs have stated repeatedly that he's their man, I have no real reason to doubt that. Let's make it so.

02. FLA FLA: Florida scouted MacKinnon hard and he's the guy they wanted, but they're happy to get the other consensus #1 pick and choose Seth Jones and likely trade a defenceman to acquire help up front.

03. TBL Valeri Nicushkin: In light of the Lecavalier buy-out, many presume that Barkov might be Tampa's guy here, but instead I think they go with Nichushkin, whom they've long been rumored to have interest in. Steve Yzerman is one of the few GMs who completely ignores the Russian factor, having chosen 4 Russians out of Russia during his tenure, including one in the first round last year.

04. NAS Sasha Barkvo: Though Nashville never chooses Europeans in the first round, they buck the trend this year because their forward core needs a rebuild and they've seen that teams don't win the Cup without big-time centers in the fold.

05. CAR Jonathan Drouin: I think Drouin goes here, though I don't necessarily think he goes to Carolina. A team in need of Drouin's creativity and skill makes a deal with Carolina to acquire this pick in exchange for a bonefide young Top 4 defenceman.

06. CGY Sean Monahan: GM Jay Feaster's predilection for college players is actually a myth, he plucks his players overwhelmingly from the CHL (52% of his picks since the lockout have come from the CHL). With smaller creative players like Sven Bartschi and Johnny Gaudreau in the system, Feaster gets something you can't usually trade for and takes a big, scoring center in Monahan.

07. EDM Elias Lindholm: Again, like the Carolina pick, I think this is where Lindholm goes, but I don't think he goes to Edmonton. The Oilers, missing out on the players they really want (Barkov, Monahan), trade down to somewhere in the early teens (anywhere from 12-16) and pick up a defenceman in the process. A team that really loves Lindholm jumps into the fray and takes the pivot.

08. BUF Frederik Gauthier: The Sabres have long loved to the QMJHL and do so again here, surprising most by taking Gauthier above where he's rated, but do so to fill an organizational need in size up front. The Sabres, like some scouts, believe Gauthier has a higher offensive ceiling and draft the big center.

09. NJD Darnell Nurse: The Devils come into the draft looking for forwards, but can't resist the big Nurse and are happy to see him slide to them. His slight drop rewards the Devils for hanging onto this pick in front of their home crowd and eases the sting of losing their 1st rounder next year.

10. DAL Max Domi: Dallas is thrilled to add a player of Domi's skill and creativity, new GM Jim Nill, after years of apprenticing in Detroit, knows the value of highly-competitive players with bloodlines and has no qualms about his size.

11. PHI Samuel Morin: Philadelphia goes for need here, for the future and present and gambles on Morin into blossoming into a Top 2 defenceman. He's already got the snarl and the size, but in the playoffs he averaged better than a point-per-game in the playoffs and is a faster riser than anybody else in 2013.

12. PHX Hunter Shinkaruk: There's a few players on the board that interest the Coyotes, but none with Shinkaruk's offensive ability and he's the kind of guy who will look good with Shane Doan and/or Mikkel Boekder.

13. WPG Bo Horvat: Winnipeg envisions Horvat as their longterm 2nd line center behind Mark Scheifele. Horvat's 2-way skills and clutch goal-scoring make him a worthy pick.

14. CBJ Kerby Rychel: New GM Jarmo Kekalainen is happy to add a budding power forward in Rychel, with strong bloodlines.

15. NYI Curtis Lazar: The Isles get a really good look at Lazar while keeping tabs on last year's first rounder, Griffin Reinhart, and are happy to select the defensively responsible center, knowing how hard he works. They're happy to add a guy who might be able to slot in nicely as #2 center behind John Tavares, or could even end up on Tavares' wing when all is said and done.

16. BUF Rasmus Ristolainen: After going off the board a bit with their first pick, the Sabres are thrilled when a slight drop lands Rasmus Ristolainen right in their laps. The big Finn will be a big piece going forward.

17. OTT Alexander Wennberg: Ottawa loves to go to Sweden with their picks and does so again here. With a ton of players/prospects maturing and looking for a role, Ottawa can afford to wait on this one and let Wennberg continue to develop overseas.

18. DET Ryan Hartman: Playing for Plymouth, Detroit gets a lot of looks at the feisty Hartman. With all the skill in the system, Detroit's happy to add a guy with more grit, who might still add some inches to his frame and develop into a veritable power forward (His Dad and Uncle both stand over 6'2" and didn't grow until their college years, meaning Hartman could still grow, too).

19. CBJ Nikita Zadorov: Columbus is happy when the big Russian defenceman, who some have as a Top 10 pick, drops to them at 19. Concerns about his ceiling (Is he Zdeno Chara or Vladimir Mihalik?) and the Russian factor cause a bit of a slide.

20. SJS Shea Theodore: No strangers to choosing out of the WHL, GM Doug Wilson takes the smooth-skating Theodore and hope that they've drafted Dan Boyle's eventual replacement.

21. TOR Anthony Mantha: Toronto selects the only 50-goal scorer in this year's draft with the idea that questions about his competitiveness/grit can be answered by the fiery Randy Carlyle.

22. CGY Ryan Pulock: Having addressed a big organizational need with their first pick, Calgary does so again going to the offensive defenceman with a big shot. Playing in Western Canada, the Flames aren't worried about Pulock's "off" season knowing he played for a truly terrible Brandon Wheat Kings squad.

23. WAS Robert Burakowsky: The Capitals love to select Swedish forwards, and do so again with this selection.

24. VAN Jimmy Lodge: GM Mike Gillis takes most of his first rounders out of the OHL and does so again, taking the quick-rising big forward here.

25. MTL Adam Erne: Montreal's scouting staff loves American-born players and selects the US-born but playing in Quebec Erne, hoping that the power forward develops as planned and can add size to their top lines in the coming years.

26. ANA Morgan Klimchuk: After Emerson Etem's breakout season, Anaheim has no qualms about drafting another smallish forward from a WHL prairie team and takes the talented Klimchuk.

27. CBJ Valentin Zykov: Columbus is thrilled that the high-scoring Zykov slides to them at #27.

28. CGY Brett Pece: With the third of three first round picks, Calgary surprised onlookers by going slightly off the board and taking the big NCAA defenceman. Pesce is a guy that Calgary have been excited about for a while.

29. DAL Artturi Lekhonen: Dallas surprises everyone by going for the small and skilled, but injury-prone Finn at #29. Jim Nill was a part of Detroit's tradition of selecting skill players out of Europe and he seeks to start his own tradition in Dallas, going for skill at #29.

30. CHI Josh Morrissey: The prevailing wisdom is that Chicago take an USHL or European player here to give them lots of time to develop because of the strength of their roster. But, with players needing to be moved to make cap-space and the likely to be rapid graduation of prospects in the next year, Chicago needs a player with high upside who might be able to step into the Top 4 sooner than later and grab the talented Morrissey who's fearless style will fit in great with the Cup winners.
Not the forward I would have taken if I was the brass of the Wings, but not too bad.

wings95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Megaterio T Llamas

This was a very thoughtful, interesting mock.

Megaterio T Llamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:58 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
To elaborate.

We really need some boom/bust prospects, preferably centers. Domi is exactly that.

I'd hope we take Petan at 29 if he's there, but Lehkonen could be a steal at 29 if he can stay healthy. I think he'd be there at 40, though.
Petan does seem like a better choice now that I think on it (Stars were obviously scouting Portland this year with the signing of Leier etc.) but I had just moved Lehkonen off another team and thought Dallas seems like a team who would like him.