HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expectations: Current players and prospects

Old
06-25-2013, 10:59 PM
couture23

vCash: 500
But what can be expected of the current group of players?

Not much - maybe a top 3 pick.

Which prospects are possibly ready for NHL-duty?

Larsson, Pysyk, and someone else, who knows.

Do you think Gerbe and Stafford can bounce back?

Gerbe, nope. Stafford should be good for 15-20 goals.

Will Pysyk be a starter?

Should be on opening night, impressed the hell out of me.

Can Weber pick it up where he left off last year?

Don't see why not. He doesn't need to add anything to his game, he needs to stay a defense-first type of guy.

Do you see Larsson cracking the lineup?

Personally, I do.

What kind of improvements can be expected from within the organisation, just by developing current skaters?

I expect much more out of Myers and Ennis heading into next season, and Foligno to play like a mean mother******.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
It also doesn't send a good message to play a guy in the top six who has no business being there. The message should be - play to win all the time.
i would deliver the exact opposite message to my team...
hard work gets ice time. the end

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:58 AM
sonnEbunny

Armia: Starts in the AHL, gets called up and shows flashes of top 6 talent.

Grigorenko: I am very unsure of where he will end up, if we end up with Nichushkin I would say he stays and progresses from last year without I think they may send him back to the Q to build confidence and work on his weak spots.

Girgensons: AHL may end up being called up at the end of the year.

Larsson: High chance of him making the roster out of camp, strong two-way play puts up 25 points.

Pysyk: I look for him to improve on last year, he got a taste of what it takes, he will come into camp stronger which will be necessary for him to take a step forward.

Ruhwedel: I see him winning the job for the final spot, this lets McNabb come back from injury and get some time in the AHL before playing with the big boys. McNabb will be first call up.

Myers: Improved consistency which will translate to more points, 34+ in addition to a more sound defensive game.

Ennis: 55+ points he has been in the league for a few years now and he has consistently been one of our top point producers, yes there is the potential for a weaker supporting cast but I am saying he will have a breakout year offensively.

Hodgson: 55+ without Vanek, 60+ with vanek. I am high on Hodgson and think he will come into the season in the best shape of his life. This will benefit his skating as well as his confidence. I believe we will see improvements in the faceoff circle as well as in the defensive zone.

Stafford: 40+ points I see him being fairly effective this season and think he could return a 1st rounder at the trade deadline.

sonnEbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:27 AM
Lloydchristmas138

Corey Tropp is my dark horse to be an important player on this team , providing a Shaw/Gallagher-lite type of gritty sparkplug to the 2nd-3rd line.

I think we see Armia, Larsson, and Girgensons all make NHL debuts with Armia and Larsson both possibly on the opening roster if Vanek gets traded.

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i would deliver the exact opposite message to my team...
hard work gets ice time. the end
So if the hardest working guy in the organization is some scrub from the ECHL he gets signed and gets to start. Got it.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
So if the hardest working guy in the organization is some scrub from the ECHL he gets signed and gets to start. Got it.
Extreme example to the point of absurdity. Considering the options, Gerbe isn't absurd to play in the top 6... and I'd prefer to see him waived to Rochester.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:51 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Stanley cup hyfr

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Extreme example to the point of absurdity. Considering the options, Gerbe isn't absurd to play in the top 6... and I'd prefer to see him waived to Rochester.
Yeah, because I was responding to non-sensical semantics. Even still, Gerbe doesn't belong on most NHL rosters. Playoff hockey is going bigger and tougher, so I don't see how Gerbe fits.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:25 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Yeah, because I was responding to non-sensical semantics. Even still, Gerbe doesn't belong on most NHL rosters. Playoff hockey is going bigger and tougher, so I don't see how Gerbe fits.
Because we won't be playing playoff hockey for a while. He's a bridge and might just help getting that top 3 pick.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Well ok, you're talking about tank and I'm talking about winning. No big deal, either way next season is just a stepping stone.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

I still am a gerbe supporter ..he will put it back together this season.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
FanboySlayer*

Talk about 'Abused Fan Syndrome'. Everybody is afraid to predict much for any Sabres player other than modest and incremental improvement for those who've been here and very modest expectations for rookies.

That's wrong. We are going to have several rookies and we still have a bunch of young players still developing. It's not that long ago Tyler Myers made the jump right out of junior and won the Calder trophy.
Somebody on this team is going to vastly exceed these modest expectations, maybe more than one.

Maybe the player we take at 8th this weekend is this year's Myers - Nichuskin walks in and scores 25 goals, hell 30, it happens. Maybe Myers regains his confidence under Rolston and puts up 60 points and controls the game every time he's on the ice. Maybe Tyler Ennis or Hodgson have breakthrough seasons and score 30 goals and 75 points. Maybe it's Armia who is in the Calder race ... or Grigorenko.

I'm predicting at least two nice surprises - who they are I don't know.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:05 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
I still am a gerbe supporter ..he will put it back together this season.
I don't think anyone WANTS Gerbe to fail or not do well. But I think the majority feel he simply won't. I think waiving or including him in a trade is the right course of action. Honest question ... Does he actually have positive trade value

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:22 PM
sonnEbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
Talk about 'Abused Fan Syndrome'. Everybody is afraid to predict much for any Sabres player other than modest and incremental improvement for those who've been here and very modest expectations for rookies.

That's wrong. We are going to have several rookies and we still have a bunch of young players still developing. It's not that long ago Tyler Myers made the jump right out of junior and won the Calder trophy.
Somebody on this team is going to vastly exceed these modest expectations, maybe more than one.

Maybe the player we take at 8th this weekend is this year's Myers - Nichuskin walks in and scores 25 goals, hell 30, it happens. Maybe Myers regains his confidence under Rolston and puts up 60 points and controls the game every time he's on the ice. Maybe Tyler Ennis or Hodgson have breakthrough seasons and score 30 goals and 75 points. Maybe it's Armia who is in the Calder race ... or Grigorenko.

I really think that if Vanek stays we could have these outcomes but with him gone people are going to likely have to step into roles that they are not 100% ready for. Vanek on this team helps every other player.

sonnEbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:30 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post

I think this is the difference between "this would be nice and might happen" and "this is probable for a team like ours."

Every team has players, which seems to be your only criterion here. I could rattle off a list of prospects or guys that had down years for 29 other teams and say "I bet a bunch of them will rebound into 70 point players or win the Calder." With those glasses on, we're gonna need a lot of Calders.

Old
06-26-2013, 03:43 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Is it october yet?
Nope. It is June, but it is almost July.

What can be expected of the current group of players?
Not a whole lot. I expect there will be some exciting games, but most of them will be all out duds. In the end, we'll get a higher than usual draft pick (think 8th-6th range).

Which prospects are possibly ready for NHL-duty?
Good question. I imagine they'll pull up most of the top tier prospects such as Grigs, Gergs, Armia, Larsson, Hackett (can he be labelled a prospect?)... It really depends on the offseason additions (trades and free agency).

Do you think Gerbe and Stafford can bounce back?
This hurts to say because I was a very big believer and supporter of Gerbe, but he needs to go. He just can't handle the NHL. He has games where there are flashes of brilliance, but he isn't consistent enough to be effective and I think that is a result of size and more importantly a lack of skill.

Stafford will shine. I don't think he is going to break the 40 goal mark, but he is likely to get 25-30 points. That is, if his TOI increases. With all of the skill vets being pushed out, Staffords ice time should go up and his chance at production should also rise. If he fails (and i believe there is still a good chance that could happen) then we just trade him for peanuts and never talk about his time with the Sabres again. Ever.

Will Pysyk be a starter?

Myers, Sekera, Weber, Ehrhoff, mcnabb, pysyk? Who am I missing on D? I know that we aren't anemic at defense, but are we low enough on vet players that we have no choice but to give pysyk a shot at starting? Regardless, there wasn't much about his game that I didn't appreciate at the end of last year. I am sure he'll impress the coaching staff enough to earn the start.

Can Weber pick it up where he left off, last year?
I don't see why not. He plays a simple defensive game. He is gritty and reliable. So long as he doesn't try and shoulder too much, he should be fine.

Do you see Larsson cracking the lineup?
We gave up our captain for this piece, so I think we should see what he can do. He isn't going to go higher than a Third line, maybe a second line role (during injuries) so i don't think you'll ruin his production any by bringing him up too soon. Plug him and let him roll. I think the kid will do fine.

What kind of improvements can be expected from within the organization just by developing current skaters?
I don't know how to answer this question. I think the organization has a lot of work ahead of them, but Rolston seems capable of developing youth players. I think we all want more than to just farm some prospects at the NHL level, so hopefully Rolston will surprise us and help turn the time around a head of schedule. I just don't see that happening...

Last edited by 1point21Gigawatts: 06-26-2013 at 03:49 PM.
1point21Gigawatts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I don't think anyone WANTS Gerbe to fail or not do well. But I think the majority feel he simply won't. I think waiving or including him in a trade is the right course of action. Honest question ... Does he actually have positive trade value
He has positive value ..I think anyone who plays regularly in the nhl has value. Just depends on eho wants him and the price.
With the holes we have and his cap hit, play him in the top 9. Best case he improves we unload him at the trade dealine for a higher value than now.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:20 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
He has positive value ..I think anyone who plays regularly in the nhl has value. Just depends on eho wants him and the price.
With the holes we have and his cap hit, play him in the top 9. Best case he improves we unload him at the trade dealine for a higher value than now.
Now wait a minute. Most folks think he would pass through waivers unclaimed, and yet teams would trade assets to pick him up?

Old
06-26-2013, 04:46 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
There isn't a large gap between the top and bottom in the weaker eastern conference so i could see the Sabres make the jump to a 6-8 seed if they get a little lucky.

Priority has to be improving the team's atrocious possession play and with that the two way ability of the forwards.
Keep in mind the old conference playoff set up is over. Its changing to a 4 division playoff set up

Our division next year

Buffalo
Boston
Detroit
Florida
Tampa
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

The top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs and the next 2 best teams from the conference make it. Meaning each division will send a minimum of 3 teams and as many as 5. In our case we have two 8 team divisions in our conference making a tad tougher to make the playoffs.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote