HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

McDonagh and the 1st overall

Old
06-25-2013, 07:50 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
No offense to NYR fans, but I don't like the idea of trading the #1 over all for even McD plus.
I'm not sure Bern is actually a Ranger fan. I think he might be a devil or islander spy sent to make us look bad.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Its very close with Hall. I just don't know if robbing Peter to pay Paul is a good idea. I believe he was over a PPG this year, so theres that.
Not just over PPG this year. 2nd leading scorer in the West and on pace for 90+ pts. Only homer Rangers fans would take McDonagh over Hall.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:52 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Its very close with Hall. I just don't know if robbing Peter to pay Paul is a good idea. I believe he was over a PPG this year, so theres that.
The Rangers are deep on defense and if they could possibly swap McD straight up for Hall then it's something they absolutely WOUD do IMO. There are probably only 10 (maybe 15) dmen in the entire league who's team WOULDN'T trade straight up for Hall and McD isn't one of them. I think you are really under-valuing Hall here. He's a LOT better than his stats alone show (and his stats are pretty good btw).

The only player on the Flyers I wouldn't trade for Hall would be Giroux and the only player on the Flyers that Edm WOULD trade Hall for would be Giroux, so it's not even worth talking about.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
And I would rather have Taylor Hall than any player on your team. And I am guessing 30 GM's would agree. The fact that you wouldn't trade a good player for him tells me pretty much all I need to know about your hockey philosophy. I cant say for sure about Nuge or Yak yet but I think they will also fit in that category soon. Its just too early to say with 100% confidence.
You need a core of talent to win. Our core all arrived in those 3 unsuccessful years you are mocking. I would bet the farm in a couple years you wont be so pleased with yourself and your team
And our core has had success together the last 3 seasons, including one trip to the East Finals.

Ryan McDonagh isn't 35 years old.

I suppose the Oilers could try to win every game 6-5 like its 1985, but eventually they're gunna have to get a stable group of defenseman in there.

The Rangers could use a forward. The Oilers could use some defenseman. McDonagh and Hall don't have to be traded to fill those needs.

Like I said, its really close with Hall. RNH and Yak on the other hand I wouldn't even consider.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Nice to see that you already know what Mackinnon is.

"Classic board poster"

Draft picks are more valueable than proven talent! even proven YOUNG talent with 10+ years to go in their careers!!
I'm not even the biggest Mackinnon fan myself (not that I dislike him) but I'm pretty sure the 1st overall pick, whoever it is (Again I would take Jones who I also think for sure is going to be better than McD) is better than a border line #1 Dman.

Whoever is picked 1st overall will be a franchise player and someone you build your franchise around, as good as McDonagh is (and I am a fan, really like how he has emerged) he isn't that.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
vespa99

Quote:
And our core has had success together the last 3 seasons, including one trip to the East Finals.

Ryan McDonagh isn't 35 years old.

I suppose the Oilers could try to win every game 6-5 like its 1985, but eventually they're gunna have to get a stable group of defenseman in there.

The Rangers could use a forward. The Oilers could use some defenseman. McDonagh and Hall don't have to be traded to fill those needs.
All true. I was only commenting on your saying you wouldn't trade Mc for Hall. I am pretty sure you are the only person on the planet that would say that except for maybe Ryans mom.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I'm not even the biggest Mackinnon fan myself (not that I dislike him) but I'm pretty sure the 1st overall pick, whoever it is (Again I would take Jones who I also think for sure is going to be better than McD) is better than a border line #1 Dman.

Whoever is picked 1st overall will be a franchise player and someone you build your franchise around, as good as McDonagh is (and I am a fan, really like how he has emerged) he isn't that.
If Mackinnon ends up a Stamkos or John Tavaras, then no question you are correct. I'm simply saying he hasn't done it yet, and for the Rangers.. a team looking to win now I don't see how trading a proven young player for potential is a good idea.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
If Mackinnon ends up a Stamkos or John Tavaras, then no question you are correct. I'm simply saying he hasn't done it yet, and for the Rangers.. a team looking to win now I don't see how trading a proven young player for potential is a good idea.
True but if I was the Rangers and I could get Jones or Mackinnon for McDonagh I would do it, NYR's core is still young and getting a franchise player like that would extend your "window" (For lack of a better term)

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:48 PM
CaptainCally

McDonagh would look SICK together with Johnson. With that said I would like to keep him. Girardi isn't getting any younger and who knows if Staal will resign or move to Carolina.

That would be devastating then.

Del Zotto, Stralman, Macillrath, Moore are all goos d-men now and going into the future but that's far away from top 5 which i think we're at right now.

Our team would struggle big time if we made this trade.

It's highly unlikely that either side would do this.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge MacKinnon fan but I'm not sure our team would be better if we potentially lost our 3 best d-men in the next 1-2 years.

I don't want to turn into Edmonton Oilers. Relying on offense, screw defense and so on.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:22 PM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
No offense to NYR fans, but I don't like the idea of trading the #1 over all for even McD plus.

Mackinnon is too similar to Stamkos, not sure Mack will put up 60 goals a year, but I see it more like 50 goals and a few more assists than Stamkos as Mack's upside.

At this point I hope they retain the pick.
Wow. I dont think that ryan mcd is worth mackinnon... but you alreadyhave him slotted for scoring 50 goals in a season ... without playing a single nhl game.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Seachd

This isn't much different than the "Girardi-for-first-overall" proposals he made last year.

Same opinions here, to no one's surprise.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:50 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Wow. I dont think that ryan mcd is worth mackinnon... but you alreadyhave him slotted for scoring 50 goals in a season ... without playing a single nhl game.
Uh, 'upside' is the key word in that post. Look again...

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Pizza

Quote:
the funny thing is, the dude thinks hes right about all this

wants to trade everyone for draft picks

it actually angers me to read this **** all the time
Nah, this whole discussion is too silly to get mad over. It's just berny and his usual craziness. But he's not alone here. Some of the other comments are just as wacky. It's funny to read the stuff that people come up with.

I'm glad the opinions of McD are so low. I'm just fine if we hang onto him for a long, long time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Lundsanity30

Tons of hype over someone who has never played in the NHL. I understand he MAY be a franchise player but I'm not giving up McDonagh for a maybe. Certainly not WITH Stepan . This entire board is all about potential and high risk over proven talent

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:30 AM
richardsequalscup*

I disagree that McDonagh isn't a franchise player. He's a 25 minute a night defenseman at 23. He completely shut down Ovechkin in the playoffs. He was incredible last year in the playoffs. Boston's top players didn't beat the Rangers. It was their 4th line.

Again, people on this board look at goals and assists. They always fail to look at the defenseman who face the top lines every night and for the most part shut them down.

It would be moronic for the Rangers to trade McDonagh. Especially with the career of Staal in doubt. Having defenseman to stop the best offensive players in the league is just as important as having one or two best offensive players in the league.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

LOL @ Rangers fans. it would take another solid or significant along with McDonagh to pry the 1st overall from this draft.

I am a huge fan of McDonagh(check my post history) but he is massively overrated by Rangers fans and AINEC.

just couple of months ago, some of u were crapping on how bad your defense is and even included McDonagh along with the other d-men(s).

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Tons of hype over someone who has never played in the NHL. I understand he MAY be a franchise player but I'm not giving up McDonagh for a maybe. Certainly not WITH Stepan . This entire board is all about potential and high risk over proven talent
well, can u blame everyone though, 1st overall over the years have proven such great feat and it is almost gurantee that they will become a borderline elite players as a realistic scenario.

I am pretty sure you guys would feel the same way if u had a 1st overall this year and someone offered you like say Adam Larsson for it.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
It's not about that at all.

It's the fact that recently the first overall pick is a virtual lock to become an incredible player.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that with the "He's never played in the NHL!" explanation.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
there is some serious overrating of McDonagh going on in this thread. and I like him a lot, even as a rival fan

but to get the #1 overall pick it would cost a pretty big + along with McDonagh.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Look at the past 6 yrs #1 picks:

2007: Kane
2008: Stamkos
2009: Tavares
2010: Hall
2011: RNH
2012: Yakupov

I'd easily take any of those players over McDonagh type, only Rangers fans say no to this IMO.

I do this trade.
I was talking about Bernmeister. Not you.

06-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
well, can u blame everyone though, 1st overall over the years have proven such great feat and it is almost gurantee that they will become a borderline elite players as a realistic scenario.

I am pretty sure you guys would feel the same way if u had a 1st overall this year and someone offered you like say Adam Larsson for it.
Like Alexander Daigle? OR Erik Johnson? Or Chris Phillips, Patrick Stefan, Rick DiPietro, Marc Andre Fleury. That is 5 within the last 17 years (excluding Daigle since he was 93). Just about 30% Hardly a guarantee. How many of them are borderline elite, let alone elite? None. Or we can go back to 93, the last 20 years and include Jovanovski and Daigle as 7 within the last 20 years, over 33% or 1/3rd. Or Hamrlik in 1992. Thats 8 in 21.

1/3rd of 1st overalls are not elite players (Dipietro is debatable as "elite" as he was a great goalie before his knees blew out completely). Most never even reached "star" status, let alone elite. If a guarantee is 66% of the time for you then I you must get fleeced by a lot of salesmen.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 06-26-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

McDonagh's a stud. But he's not worth the 1st overall.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
This isn't much different than the "Girardi-for-first-overall" proposals he made last year.

Same opinions here, to no one's surprise.
Nope. You should see the formulas he has tried to use in other proposals to justify his lunacy.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:32 AM
RangerGuru

vCash: 754
No trade to be made here not should there be. As someone mentioned with the percentages, only 66% of 1st overalls in the last 21 of so years was truly elite. Stamkos wasn't "elite" his first year. RNH and Yakupov weren't either. And while we wait for this so called elite player to develop into a superstar, while we hope he does, after giving up a package of young players including a #1D and #1C, Lundqvist is getting older. He is getting out of his prime. There is no replacement in the farm, and Sather is terrible with FA

THAT BEING SAID

If Lundqvist says he won't sign an extension this offseason he is as good as gone. He surely won't sign one during the regular season, and then he will be a UFA and look for his best chance to win a cup

If this scenario happens, rebuild is a must. And if rebuild is a must I'd be willing to do McDonagh+ for #1

This is the ONLY scenario I do somethig like that

And we won't even know about Lundqvist until well after the draft

So in conclusion, there is absolutely no deal to be made

RangerGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
bernmeister

My thanks to all for all comments.
Sudden work issues in the real world.
If not before, my responses will come this weekend.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote